ASUS PW210 cheaper than Viewsonic VX2025WM!!! Which one to get?

idoc

n00b
Here in the Philippines, I can get the PW201 for $440 while the VX2025 costs $476. This is a far cry from Newegg prices where the the PW201 costs $560 inc. SH, $226 more than the VX2025.With these prices, can you guys pls help me decide which one to get?

The PW201, though bigger & wider (due to bigger bezel & side speakers), looks elegant with the glossy finish, metallic stand, and multi-adjustable stand. There have been few reviews for it though. The VX2025 looks nice and slick, and has been well-praised, but only has tilt adjusment.

PCWorld rated the ASUS and gave it better marks than the Viewsonic. LINKS: ASUS VS Viewsonic . Behardware.com seemed to prefer tha Viewsonic LINK: http://www.behardware.com/articles/619-1/updated-survey-13-lcd-20-5-6-8-16-ms.html Most of posters' comments suggest that the PW201 is a nice, well-featured monitor but many find the $200 price diff. over the Viewsonic too high. But now that I can get it cheaper, is it now a better choice? TIA for any comments, suggestions or feedback :)

Comments:
1: The PW201 extras (webcam, extra video connections, USB ports, headphone jack) are welcome but not important for me. I'll only be using DVI, my rig has lots of USB ports, and I have an A4Tech USB webcam. I don't think I'll be using PIVOT, and although the height adjustability is a plus factor, once I set up the monitor, I won'tbe changing the position anymore.
2: Glossy (PW201) probably won't be a problem for me since my computer area isn't too bright, and shielded from overhead lights. I don't do serious graphics and image editing (suposed to be weakness of glossy screens), just occassional photo adjustments.
3: I'm coming from a 19" Viewsonic VA912 which I'm dissatisfied with, partly due to brightness/contrast problems, as well as backlight bleeding. Quite a number of VX2025 owners seem to complain of the same problems with their monitors, as well as the dreaded "DVI port death syndrome". This somehow gives me some pause when I consider the VX2025 as a choice. I wonder how the ASUS fares here.

ive also heard viewsonic support is a joke. based on those bits i'd go for the asus.I'm actually going for the acer AL2032WA. :eek:

I would go for the Asus even if the cost were a little more...the glossy black bezel and screen are similar to my Acer F-20 and the stand they use on that thing just rocks. :cool:

joemama said:
I would go for the Asus even if the cost were a little more...the glossy black bezel and screen are similar to my Acer F-20 and the stand they use on that thing just rocks. :cool:

The thing is, the ASUS costs LESS :) Or is that your point? Because having thought about it again, I wouldn't really mind paying some more for the ASUS as long as I feel I'll be getting the better monitor. I'm concerned particularly regarding display qualiy, brightness/contrast/backlight bleeding issues, ghosting, etc. The extra features and aesthetic factor of the ASUS are very welcome, but are just bonuses for me.

I have run across very few reviews and posts about the PW201, so I would appreciate any feedback that could help point me towards the right decision. Also useful would be feedback from people who have had actual experience with or observations about both LCD's.

bro i also live here in the philippines by the way i sent you a PM,

im also have this dilemna of choosing between the 2025 and the PW201

by the way where can you buy a PW201 at that low price of $440 here in manila?
thanks bro :)

Asus-

Glossy panel

Great stand

Great overall design

HDCP Inputs

Webcam inbuilt

All of which the Viewsonic lacks.

Go for the Asus.

I would have seriously considered the Asus over my F-20 if they had gotten rid of the useless webcam and knocked about $100 off the price.....the stand design alone would have been worth trading a S-IPS for a P-MVA panel, not to mention the extra inputs including component.

Thanks Noni and Joemama. But aesthetics and extra inputs aside, would you know how the two would compare as far as the actual image quality is concerned. Because ultimately, that's the bottom line for me. Everything else, including the cheaper price, are just bonuses for me.

Asus would win, the glossy panel brings the colours alight. I have a VX2025, and although it is a well rounded monitor I would swap it in a heartbeat for a glossy panel. There is a weird sparkly effect with the VX2025, nothing major or annoying just weird.

Go for the Asus, I would but its around 2x the price of the Viewesonic over here.

I have a PW201 that I bought recently for only $800 Australian (i.e. only about $100 more than the Dell at the time). To my eyes, the colour quality/image quality is awesome, there's no ghosting, and the design is great (except for those damn heat-sensitive buttons).

Problem is, I bought an XBOX360 to use through component or VGA - whichever looked better. They both looked great at first glance - component was a little blurrier, but the colours were far better. It even maintained the aspect ratio properly! Unfortunately, as I used it a little more, I began to notice some noise in darker areas of games/DVDs etc., like flickering lines or something. This was nowhere to be found over DVI.

Needless to say, I was very annoyed - particularly considering that I would consider the monitor pretty much perfect otherwise. I just called Asus today and I'm sending the monitor in to be looked at...so I'm hoping that it's just a problem with my monitor and not with the whole PW201 series.

In other words, if you're just using the monitor through DVI, I'd go for it - the glossy panel doesn't really annoy me and makes the colours look great, and I can't really fault the image quality. If you want to use other inputs, maybe see if you can get someone to hook up a 360 or DVD player through component or a PC through VGA to make sure the problem that I mentioned isn't there. As I say, I'm hoping it's just my monitor, but I'll let you know.

Also, if anyone else has a PW201 that they could try through VGA or component, I'd really appreciate it so I can find out if anyone else is suffering from the same thing.

Noni said:
Asus would win, the glossy panel brings the colours alight. I have a VX2025, and although it is a well rounded monitor I would swap it in a heartbeat for a glossy panel. There is a weird sparkly effect with the VX2025, nothing major or annoying just weird.

Go for the Asus, I would but its around 2x the price of the Viewesonic over here.
Yes, it does and that is why I love my Acer F-20. An anti-glare coating is formulated specifically to diffuse light and it does the same for light coming from the panel itself. A glossy panel lets the light from the panel be seen as it was meant to be.

Based on the comments and recommendations for the ASUS, I decided to get it instead of the Viewsonic. I called the distributor to have them deliver a unit to the dealer (they don't keep it in stock; order-basis only) for me to pick up today. And guess what the sales clerk told me? She had made a huge mistake beacause the $440 price she had given me was actually for the PW191. The PW201 201 costs $633! I had previously asked her for the price of the PW191 cause I thought maybe she had made a mistake and given me that price, but she said they don't have it in stock and they don't have the price. It turns out I was correct. Needless to say I'm totally pissed, as I had my mind set to get the PW201. As it is, the actual price of the ASUS is $158 more than the VX2025...way too much for me. So I guess I'll be getting the Viewsonic instead. Geesh!!!

Thanks again to all those who helpfully contibuted their input into my wild goosechase. :(

lol I knew something was wrong!

You will enjoy the Viewsonic anyway mate.

Back