Asus pronunciation resolved, by Asus.

Now this completely flies against what the Asus guys said in Dallas during RoGCoN '08.

It's pronounced like a sneeze. Ah-soos! Easy to remember.

Out of memory error for obligatory change of pronounciation.

I've known this was the correct pronunciation for years and laughed when people mispronounced it.

Been calling it Ay-Suhs for years now, glad to see I was somewhat correct. :)

Seen it mispronounced and screwed up in almost all possible ways too. Ay-Soose, Ah-Soose, etc.

Or "Ahzüss", IPA [azys], if you're French. There must be as many pronunciations as countries and languages, no wonder it's confusing... ^-^

So I was right all this time, since that's how one pronounces 'A' in English, or should at least :D

*looks funny at Kyle now*

No brainer. Only way I've ever head anyone pronounce it.

Now go tell Nvidia to do something similar for the folks who like to pronounce it ni-vidia... rather than en-vidia.

I must now change my pronunciation
D:

also, my friend says ni-vidia and insists that me saying en-vidia is wrong, lol.

Hyundai would be "hun-day"

And of course there's always McAfee, another fairly difficult one for most... it ain't "Mih-CAF-ee" it's "MAC-uh-FEE"

my customers come in and pronounce it "en-veeedia"

always good for a chuckle afterwards :)

Looks like I've been pronouncing it right all these years. I've never heard it pronounced any other way.

also, my friend says ni-vidia and insists that me saying en-vidia is wrong, lol.

ORLY?

And what's your friends alternative? That one is pretty definitive. I suppose we've all been pronouncing ATI wrong as well?

And of course there's always McAfee, another fairly difficult one for most... it ain't "Mih-CAF-ee" it's "MAC-uh-FEE"

You got the second one right. However, that is just how Americans say Hyundai. It's actually pronounce Hi-On-Die.

I must now change my pronunciation
D:

I always thought it was pronounced (e)N-Vidia, just as you would pronounce envidia (envy) in Spanish.

With Asus....well, you see, this whole brand pronunciation depends on the language of creation. For us (spanish) every letter has only one pronunciation...so Asus would be "A-soos" (for it to be pronounced Ace-us it would have to be written something like: Eisas :D ).

The same with nike: you pronounce it Nei-qe. We say "Neik" :)D).
Ah, now that we are here: how the heck do you pronounce the brand "Levis"? Laves? Lee-byes? $%&@#! ? :D:D:D

They got their name from pegasus, which should dictate how it's pronounced.

yeah, the way she says Asus, they must pronounce Pegasus "Peg-ay-soose"

so in typical English dialect, where Pegasus is pronounced "Peg-ah-suhss"

the direct correlation if Asus=Pegasus without the [Peg] ........would be "ah-suhss"

"ahsuhss"

oh wtf

That solves the ASUS pronounciation debate, but there will probably be people that will still try to debate it, just like how some people still incorrectly pronounce nVIDIA as "nuh-VIDIA," even though nVIDIA has stated on many, many occasions that it is pronounced as "EN-VID-EE-A."

Actually, it's pronounced as "Hyun-DAE", as Koreans would pronounce it. Not "Hyun-DAI", "HEY-YOON-DIE", "Hun-day," "Hun-dai", or "HeYAN-DAI".

Hyundai's English name was incorrectly romanized when it launched it's operations in the U.S. Under South Korea's current revised romanization system, it should have been spelled as "Hyeondae", which is much closer to it's correct pronounciation.

Last edited:
Kills me how anybody could pronounce Nvidia wrong. Virtually every game has that Nvidia graphic with the chicks voice plainly saying "en-vidia" at the very start.

Hyundai's English name was incorrectly romanized when it launched it's operations in the U.S. Under South Korea's current revised romanization system, it should have been spelled as "Hyeondae", which is much closer to it's correct pronounciation.

Much like the Mitsubishi Stallion - err, Mitsubishi Starion?

Actually, it's pronounced as "Hyun-DAE", as Koreans would pronounce it. Not "Hyun-DAI", "HEY-YOON-DIE", "Hun-day," "Hun-dai", or "HeYAN-DAI".

I don't care how the freak it's correctly spoken phonetically, it's a PITA to even think about. From a logical standpoint I'd be really interested in owning one of their cars, but freakin mentioning it to a friend would be a stumbling block.

"yeah, got me a new car...."

"oh yeah? what kind?"

"hoo-n-dai.....err....hyoo-n-day.....I mean....umm"

"yeah man, I get it, that korean company"

<dejected look> "yep....."

Back