ASUS ProArt PA32UCG initial impressions

Bigmonitorguy

Limp Gawd
I recently got a PA32UCG. It's connected over HDMI 2.1 to my RTX 3090. I'm running the latest firmware released for this monitor earlier this month. Some initial impressions:

I don't hear the fans at all - I don't think they've run at all so far.

FALD-related issues such as blooming are noticeable but tolerable to me when watching videos and playing games. However, the FALD causes many serious annoyances in picture quality for other things. I disable dynamic dimming for normal desktop usage. It's truly quite awful when enabled. It's not just blooming - there are a number of other issues, including loss of brightness of various parts of the screen based on what the convoluted algorithm decides to do. It's just a complete mess, and disabling FALD gets rid of all that craziness without sacrificing much.

The panel I got has very good uniformity. Also, not much excessive backlight bleed, although a little bit in the lower left area. There are two dead sub-pixels.

The bezel part at the lower edge of the monitor has some manufacturing defects on my unit.

Issues with switching between SDR and HDR. The monitor doesn't always handle that well. For example, it may complain that it can't detect the HDMI signal after the switch. Also, issues with coming back on after Windows power saving turns off the monitor.

G-sync seems to work fine on it even though it isn't listed as G-sync compatible.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about this monitor.

For those who don't need the extra brightness or high refresh, and don't game, I'd recommend the LG 32EP950 OLED instead.

I have been thinking about getting this, but 5.4K EUR is a lot and it still has issues???

No way in hell I'd keep a $4,600 monitor with dead pixels. ProArt is supposed to get A++ panels.

I could see the FALD on the Pro-Art as not having a good FALD algorithm for gaming. NVIDIA had to design that into their G-Sync module to get it to work halfway decent.

No way in hell I'd keep a $4,600 monitor with dead pixels. ProArt is supposed to get A++ panels.

I could see the FALD on the Pro-Art as not having a good FALD algorithm for gaming. NVIDIA had to design that into their G-Sync module to get it to work halfway decent.
It seems that they are aiming more for picking panels with good uniformity and color. Avoiding dead pixels isn't their top criterion.

I also have an LG 32EP950 OLED, and it has one bad pixel. Perfect other than that.

It's possible to exchange, but it's a huge hassle, particularly with the PA32UCG which is quite heavy. Also, there is no guarantee that the replacement monitor won't have worse issues, or that it won't be damaged in shipping. I guess this leaves returning for a refund, which I may do - haven't decided yet. I'm considering returning because of the other issues, though, not the two bad pixels.

My issues with the FALD on the ProArt are actually more with things other than games and videos. It's truly terrible for the desktop. There's a video on YouTube by "Teoh on Tech" which describes some of these issues. It's all that and more, unfortunately. I don't understand why it's so bad. The algorithm does some truly weird things. There's basically no choice but to disable local dimming when not watching movies or playing games unless you enjoy all kinds of weird effects.

There are also a bunch of annoying bugs as I mentioned (SDR/HDR switching, waking up from Windows power saving). Another thing I noticed is some electric high-frequency noise coming from the top of the monitor, but it is minor, and hasn't bothered me much so far.

Having said all that, it does look good with local dimming disabled. Probably the best IPS panel I've seen, and I've seen many, including Eizo and NEC. That's the reason I'm conflicted about returning it.

Try using Displayport with (make sure to enable DP 1.4 with DSC in the monitor settings). That may alleviate the SDR/HDR switching issues. I haven't had a problem with that when using DP.

Try using Displayport with (make sure to enable DP 1.4 with DSC in the monitor settings). That may alleviate the SDR/HDR switching issues. I haven't had a problem with that when using DP.
Thanks - I was thinking about trying DP, but was concerned that there might be a loss in image quality (particularly for text) with DSC (which is needed to run at high refresh rates), so I started with HDMI 2.1. I'll try DP next - glad to hear it doesn't have the SDR/HDR switching issue.

Thanks - I was thinking about trying DP, but was concerned that there might be a loss in image quality (particularly for text) with DSC (which is needed to run at high refresh rates), so I started with HDMI 2.1. I'll try DP next - glad to hear it doesn't have the SDR/HDR switching issue.
I'm using my LG OLED TV with a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter which uses DSC to make up for the bandwidth and I can see absolutely no difference in image quality vs using it with HDMI 2.0 port. So I would not worry about DSC at all, it is truly lossless.

Bigmonitorguy
Do you feel the Asus ProArt PA32UCG is worth the premium over something like a Benq PD3220U ~$1k for the refresh rate? Also just got a 3090. I am a content creator that does some gaming mostly Final fantasy 14 and some Star Wars Squadrons, Elite Dangerous. Been on two Dell 2412M monitors for a long time.

Bigmonitorguy
Do you feel the Asus ProArt PA32UCG is worth the premium over something like a Benq PD3220U ~$1k for the refresh rate? Also just got a 3090. I am a content creator that does some gaming mostly Final fantasy 14 and some Star Wars Squadrons, Elite Dangerous. Been on two Dell 2412M monitors for a long time.
Sorry, I'm not a content creator, so I can't help you with that.

Many games do benefit from higher refresh rates and freesync/gsync.

I wouldn't buy the PA32UCG for gaming - I would go with the PG32UQX instead.

If you do both content creation and gaming on the same setup, then the PA32UCG may be a good choice, but, yes, it's expensive...

Personally, I like having separate work and gaming setups to avoid a compromise. The best monitor for my work is very different from the best monitor for gaming.

Bigmonitorguy
Thank you for the feedback. Been using the same set up for both work and gaming. Just having a hard time spending that much for the high refresh rate with the blooming issues and you said it had dead pixels. Microcenter stocks PG32UQX so that wouldn't be too hard to return and don't need to ship so that is an option. They don't carry the PA32UG though.

Asus posted a firmware update enabling Dolby Vision. Tried it out with my Nvidia Shield Pro and yep, Dolby Vision does work. Haven't figured out how to enable DV in the handful of games that support it in Windows, though.

I could use some help.

I have received 2x PA32UCG monitors that are technically working fine. the second one was a replacement for the first one because I thought it was a hardware failure.

2 issues

issue 1
Monitor signal detection. OMG this is the slowest monitor ever to come up when a signal is detected. I thought something was wrong, but it seems the second monitor does the same thing. Issue occurs when using DP 1.4 DSC or HDMI 2.1. Alt tab from a 3d app to desktop is a 4-5 second blank. Booting up it has a 1-8 miss on Dp 1.4 dsc where a monitor is not detected. Booting up in HDMI 2.1 it is has a 9 in 10 miss. Motherboard beeps profusely as no video detected.
In windows I am running 4k, 10bit, 120hz.

I have 4 firmwares, that I have tried and no improvement . I have 103/203, 104/204, 105/205, and 106/206. NONE have provided improvement in the detection/response issue. Its not cards (3090 FE) or cables (optic 1.4, hdmi 2.1 optic, copper base versions, etc all certified, makes no difference). 3090 works fine and I have two to test with and have all the latest firmware and bios updates. So this is a slow responding monitor to activate? Example, amber light will change to white led, but monitor will not come up for 4-6 seconds. Same when doing alt tab from 3d to 2d or vice versa.

issue 2
Firmware. Only firmware 103/203 does not give the huge halo around every bright object and preserves color saturation in "standard" mode. . 104/204 to 106/206 destroys color saturation and provides a halo in standard mode making it halo-ish and with washed out colors. Like an bad windows HDR implementation. But its not HDR its standard mode. I constantly resort to going back to firmware 103.

Is there a way to get firmware 106 ti look as visually rich (not washed out) as 103? Is there a way to get the overbright/halo to be returned to the 103 levels (in standard mode) which were great?

also, I noticed that after version 103 (104-106) I can activate fresynch pro and seems to work BUT if you go into monitor OSD info, it shows that its not on. This also started after 104-106

So what settings can get 106/206 firmware to look as good as 103?
and
what Have you giuys doen for the signal response of the monitor in 1.4 dsc and hdmi 2.1?

Thank you in advance

The components:
2x 3090 RTX Founders Edition & SLI / NvLink bridge newest bios
2x 8280L, 56/112 cores, Asus c621 Sage Dual socket motherboard, bios 6605 modded
1.5 TB ram. DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs
1600W silent digital power supply
(Data drive) 4x VROC Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (12.8TB each / 51.2 TB volume)
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (4TB). 4x Phanteks T30,120mm, Noiseblocker 92mm for nvme drivers
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, 103 firmware
TT SFF case, micro. and heavily modded
MS Data Center 2022 & 2019 (customized) & Ubuntu (customized)

Attachments

• scenelabel.jpg
    scenelabel.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
I could use some help.

I have received 2x PA32UCG monitors that are technically working fine. the second one was a replacement for the first one because I thought it was a hardware failure.

2 issues

issue 1
Monitor signal detection. OMG this is the slowest monitor ever to come up when a signal is detected. I thought something was wrong, but it seems the second monitor does the same thing. Issue occurs when using DP 1.4 DSC or HDMI 2.1. Alt tab from a 3d app to desktop is a 4-5 second blank. Booting up it has a 1-8 miss on Dp 1.4 dsc where a monitor is not detected. Booting up in HDMI 2.1 it is has a 9 in 10 miss. Motherboard beeps profusely as no video detected.
In windows I am running 4k, 10bit, 120hz.

I have 4 firmwares, that I have tried and no improvement . I have 103/203, 104/204, 105/205, and 106/206. NONE have provided improvement in the detection/response issue. Its not cards (3090 FE) or cables (optic 1.4, hdmi 2.1 optic, copper base versions, etc all certified, makes no difference). 3090 works fine and I have two to test with and have all the latest firmware and bios updates. So this is a slow responding monitor to activate? Example, amber light will change to white led, but monitor will not come up for 4-6 seconds. Same when doing alt tab from 3d to 2d or vice versa.

issue 2
Firmware. Only firmware 103/203 does not give the huge halo around every bright object and preserves color saturation in "standard" mode. . 104/204 to 106/206 destroys color saturation and provides a halo in standard mode making it halo-ish and with washed out colors. Like an bad windows HDR implementation. But its not HDR its standard mode. I constantly resort to going back to firmware 103.

Is there a way to get firmware 106 ti look as visually rich (not washed out) as 103? Is there a way to get the overbright/halo to be returned to the 103 levels (in standard mode) which were great?

also, I noticed that after version 103 (104-106) I can activate fresynch pro and seems to work BUT if you go into monitor OSD info, it shows that its not on. This also started after 104-106

So what settings can get 106/206 firmware to look as good as 103?
and
what Have you giuys doen for the signal response of the monitor in 1.4 dsc and hdmi 2.1?

Thank you in advance

The components:
2x 3090 RTX Founders Edition & SLI / NvLink bridge newest bios
2x 8280L, 56/112 cores, Asus c621 Sage Dual socket motherboard, bios 6605 modded
1.5 TB ram. DDR4 ECC LRDIMMs
1600W silent digital power supply
(Data drive) 4x VROC Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (12.8TB each / 51.2 TB volume)
(OS Drive) Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (4TB). 4x Phanteks T30,120mm, Noiseblocker 92mm for nvme drivers
Asus PA32UCG-K monitor, 103 firmware
TT SFF case, micro. and heavily modded
MS Data Center 2022 & 2019 (customized) & Ubuntu (customized)

1. The monitor does take very long to switch. I haven't timed mine but it's pretty slow.

2. I'm not sure which HDR issue you are referring to but you do have the "HDR Preview Option" disabled when in SDR, correct?

Last edited:
1. The monitor does take very long to switch. I haven't timed mine but it's pretty slow.

2. I'm not sure which HDR issue you are referring to but you do have the "HDR Preview Option" disabled when in SDR, correct?

yes, the 104 through 106 firmware wash out the colors in 'standard view mode" and introduce an overbright halo around the mouse and lighter colored elements --> when compared to firmware 103 or 203

Its not an HDR issue, but rather whatever implementation the 104 through 106 firmware does to standard view.

Test for yourself, use firmware 103, reset to defaults, set up monitor in standard view, observe colors and halo (while NOT in windows HDR mode). The install firmware 106, and look at colors and halo... huge deprecation of saturation and 200% increase in halo affect. Reverting to 103 solves the issue, but not able to have other issues fixed by 106.

In windows I default to 4k, 10 bit, full, using either DP 1.4 dsc or hdmi 2.1, standard mode, freesynch on, 120hz.

Thank you in advance

Jay

yes, the 104 through 106 firmware wash out the colors in 'standard view mode" and introduce an overbright halo around the mouse and lighter colored elements --> when compared to firmware 103 or 203

Its not an HDR issue, but rather whatever implementation the 104 through 106 firmware does to standard view.

Test for yourself, use firmware 103, reset to defaults, set up monitor in standard view, observe colors and halo (while NOT in windows HDR mode). The install firmware 106, and look at colors and halo... huge deprecation of saturation and 200% increase in halo affect. Reverting to 103 solves the issue, but not able to have other issues fixed by 106.

In windows I default to 4k, 10 bit, full, using either DP 1.4 dsc or hdmi 2.1, standard mode, freesynch on, 120hz.

Thank you in advance

Jay
Yep, I definitely see color weirdness in the Standard mode. Everything does seem over bright and the halos are severe. I'm assuming you have Local Dimming set to Medium, right? I never noticed this issue before since I use sRGB or Rec.709 for SDR content. It should be noted that while the colors look correct in sRGB/Rec.709, I still see a little blooming around things like the cursor against a gray background with FALD on.

I haven't tried reverting to 203 yet but will give it a shot.

BTW, yes, Freesync shows as being off in the OSD for me as well so looks like it's a bug. G-Sync compatibility has been fine, even tried it with the Pendulum demo to verify along with games.

Does anyone have a PA32UCG with a production date later than April 2021? How is it?

I found the PA32UCG to be very buggy, particularly when connected by HDMI, but also with DP. I ended up returning mine for a refund. I really wanted to like it, but there were too many issues. It has great potential, and I think it would be a great product if and when ASUS fixes the issues. I would even buy it again if I knew the issues were fixed. Mine was made in April 2021, and I tried firmware versions up to MCM206.

I can't find a label and don't know where to look for manufacturing date, but my monitor came with firmware ver 104 installed. Very first thing I did was updating firmware to 106, so I have never played around with older firmware. So far I'm not experiencing any signal detection issue. I have PC connected to DP1.4 (and have also connected HDMI2.1) and MBP connected to TB. It does take a few seconds to change the input but haven't failed detecting signals. Since I have never seen Standard mode of 103/203, I'm not sure whether 106/206 is better or worse, but standard mode on mine looks quite saturated, vibrant and punchy colors. Vast majority of average user would prefer this kind of contrasty punchy colors, but of course this is not color accurate. To be honest I also like this color when I'm doing non-color related work, playing games, or watching videos. When I use Lightroom and Premier Pro, I switch to Adobe RGB. Having over 1000 local dimming zones, they certainly can do better job controlling blooming. Again I haven't used 103/203, however I trust the claim of blooming around small bright objects was much better with old firmware. All early professional reviews also said blooming was well controlled. I'm not why Asus made this change in 106/206, hope they fix this in the next firmware.

Other than firmware issues, I'm actually quite happy with this monitor. Mine doesn't have dead pixel. Uniformity is excellent. Litterally, this is the absolute best IPS monitor I have ever used. I actually looked at Alienware qd-oled monitor in person before buying this monitor. Since I'm not a competitive gamer, the choice was very obvious. I really like the lack of halo effect on oled, but brightness on PA32UCG does make a huge difference in HDR. And most importantly, I can't use alienware monitor for work and especially for color accuracy. PA32UCG is more than good enough for me for casual FPS gaming.

The label with the manufacturing date is on the back of the monitor. Color and brightness uniformity were very good on my unit as well, although not perfect. There were two dead pixels which is disappointing at the price. Does your unit make any high-pitch noise? I had other issues with it as I mentioned above. There are also a bunch of design annoyances. For example, it doesn't go into HDR mode with local dimming automatically. If you want to disable local dimming in SDR, but enable it in HDR, you have to keep doing it manually. This happens automatically in the PG32UQX. Also, the controls and OSD are much easier to use on the PG32UQX. Moreover, I got better HDR quality on the PG32UQX for some reason. For my use case, the PG32UQX turned out much better, although I really don't like the fan noise.

Oh I found it. A little label that is still attached to the cable was blocking that part lol. Manufactured date of mine is Oct 2021. My unit doesn't make any high pitch noise. It's total silent. Maybe not exactly 100% silent. After I turn off my PC and monitor goes to stand-by, also turn off the aircon in the room, and put my ear really close to monitor, I can hear very tiny little fan noise and feel warm air coming out from the top of monitor.

For example, it doesn't go into HDR mode with local dimming automatically.
That I totally agree. I wish it automatically enables local dimming eveytime I turn on HDR in Windows. I'm going to send a message to Asus requesting for this in the next firmware update. And others bugs. Hopefully Asus is listening.

I like the dial control on PG32UQX, I wish PA32UCG had this instead. Also a little oled screen, that is really cool. Too bad it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, thunderbolt and dolby vision, Otherwise it would have been a great cheaper alternative. I guess that is because of G--sync, which I'm not really a big fan of it. But I'm not a serious gamer...

Hi i have had 3 of them. 2 RMA back , 1 came back worse than when it left and only one ran without issues. I had to go to firmware 103/203 to get rid of the blooming issue and get better response. the 104/204 105/205 and 106/206 have all terrible color and blooming that calibration can't fix.

All mine seem to have a production date of July, July, November. None after November

ps the RMA where for bufgy non responsive display port when set to DP 1.4 and when I used HDMI 2.1. The other return was- paperweight, basically, it did nothing, no power, nothing. Yes power switch on, but really, no sign of life, ever.

Is any link to download previous firmwares such as 103?
Links are gone, but I have it. I couldn't figure out how to attach it to this post, PM with a real email address and I'll send it to you

Standby, I think it attached
this is 103 for PA32UCG

Attachments

• PA32UCG_MCM103.zip
    2 MB · Views: 0
Thnak you very much ;) I will give a try.

My monitor came from the box with Firmware 102!!!!

MCM107/207 was posted today. Let's see how many issues this resolved and what other problems it introduces...

MCM107/207 was posted today. Let's see how many issues this resolved and what other problems it introduces...
please provide feedback, I'm hesitant, the last batch (106) almost made the monitor a paper weight

So, this 107/207 stiks, a lot of halo and other issues, I went back to the 103.

103 is brighter, better colours, no halo, and less issues/

Asus, what are you doing with 104,104,106, 107????? regression??

What exactly are the updates in this this latest firmware 107/207? There is no description on asus download page.

Thanks for posting 103!!
I'm currently using firmware 106. Will it cause any problem if I try downgrading to 103?

Last edited:
What exactly are the updates in this this latest firmware 107/207? There is no description on asus download page.

Thanks for posting 103!!
I'm currently using firmware 106. Will it cause any problem if I try downgrading to 103?

Download VESA Display HDR Test from Microsoft Store to check the Display info. You can check if there is any change in PA32UCG such as max frame-average luminance.

This is PA32UCX.
1659037756349.png

This is one of the batches of PG32UQX
1659037861773.png

Last edited:
So, this 107/207 stiks, a lot of halo and other issues, I went back to the 103.

103 is brighter, better colours, no halo, and less issues/

Asus, what are you doing with 104,104,106, 107????? regression??

The problem is the FPGA of PA32UCG is not powerful enough to make backlight change faster. When the picture is moving, the blooming changes from a circle shape to an even larger square shape.

A firmware update won't fix it.

I did a custom test. It explains a lot why PA32UCG feels a lot more distractive in motion. The blooming becomes larger squares after the picture starts to move for 3 seconds. I can even draw a British flag with gradual backlight setting.

And most people haven't noticed the new batch of PG32UQX has already fixed the bloom issues. It means the updated PG32UQX will have less bloom than PA32UCG because the backlight control of PG32UQX has another FPGA which is a much faster, more capable Nvidia G-sync module.
For PA32UCG, I don't think it is worth it to have HDMI 2.1 port without a faster G-sync to control the backlight.

And most people haven't noticed the new batch of PG32UQX has already fixed the bloom issues. It means the updated PG32UQX will have less bloom than PA32UCG because the backlight control of PG32UQX has another FPGA which is a much faster, more capable Nvidia G-sync module.
For PA32UCG, I don't think it is worth it to have HDMI 2.1 port without a faster G-sync to control the backlight.

Hmm, really? Which batch would that be e.g. what's the manufacturing date?

I'll say that in my own comparisons, I did prefer the way the PG32UQX handled the backlight over the PA32UCG, even with the more noticeable blooming.

Hmm, really? Which batch would that be e.g. what's the manufacturing date?

I'll say that in my own comparisons, I did prefer the way the PG32UQX handled the backlight over the PA32UCG, even with the more noticeable blooming.
I've tested PG32UQX made in May 2022. They have less blooming compared to PA32UQG.

Check the video at 4K or above or HDR bloom pattern test on both monitors.

You can also notice the 10bit color in PA32UCG never worked as intended. Without a refined FPGA, the panel can cause color banding worse than 8 bit. Any additional patten like a YouTube scrollbar from the bottom will easily cause color banding on PA32UCG

Last edited:
Asus pulled the 107/207 update from their page, now only update available is the 106/206

Last edited:
The Dolby version enabled from 106/107, not only has merely 60Hz but also YCbCr444 format with 8bit depth, not 10bit.
So PA32UCG has a Dolby labeled tone-mapping, 60Hz, 8-bit "HDR" that doesn't have 10-bit HDR color.
And 107 Dolby version doesn't support RGB 444 format with the latest Nvidia driver. G-sync is also unavailable in Dolby.
Except for the Dolby version, all the firmware have the same color banding issue as well as square blooming.

Hi all,

I just got a PA32UCG but it has the high-pitched, coil "whine" from somewhere near the bottom (close to the power socket) and it's driving me crazy. I see a couple of mentions of this earlier in the thread - did anyone who had this problem manage to get a replacement that is quiet? I'm trying to understand if this is a problem that affects only part of the monitors and it can be solved by RMAs, or whether it affects all and it would be better for me to return it and look for another "do-it-all" monitor (both gaming and content creation).

Hi all,

I just got a PA32UCG but it has the high-pitched, coil "whine" from somewhere near the bottom (close to the power socket) and it's driving me crazy. I see a couple of mentions of this earlier in the thread - did anyone who had this problem manage to get a replacement that is quiet? I'm trying to understand if this is a problem that affects only part of the monitors and it can be solved by RMAs, or whether it affects all and it would be better for me to return it and look for another "do-it-all" monitor (both gaming and content creation).
Coil whine usually comes from the power module. It doesn't affect performance.
Can you test if the blooming pattern on your PA32UCG is a square shape?

Also test if it has banding/posterization in a moving grey background when displaying native 10bit 120Hz.

Coil whine usually comes from the power module. It doesn't affect performance.
It doesn't, but it heavily affects me, so after a few days of thinking, I'm sending this back. It's stupid to pay this much and have to deal with this day-in, day-out.
Can you test if the blooming pattern on your PA32UCG is a square shape?

Yep, it is definitely the same, although doesn't seem that strong.
Also test if it has banding/posterization in a moving grey background when displaying native 10bit 120Hz.

This I haven't checked yet.

It doesn't, but it heavily affects me, so after a few days of thinking, I'm sending this back. It's stupid to pay this much and have to deal with this day-in, day-out.
Since PA32UCG weighs above 40 pounds, it could have a dedicated power brick instead of an internal one.

Hi all,

Mine was making a high pitch noise which seemed to come from the top of the monitor. It was annoying, but not bad enough by itself to make me return the monitor. I did return it, but it was mostly for other reasons.

I don't understand why Asus messed up so many things with this monitor. They know how to make good monitors, and this is a very expensive one, so I didn't expect all these problems.

Mine was making a high pitch noise which seemed to come from the top of the monitor. It was annoying, but not bad enough by itself to make me return the monitor. I did return it, but it was mostly for other reasons.

I don't understand why Asus messed up so many things with this monitor. They know how to make good monitors, and this is a very expensive one, so I didn't expect all these problems.

Possibly because it is so low-volume, that they didn't actually plan/invest in enough QA or such? I don't understand it either. I returned mine - high-pitched noises drive me crazy, especially when right in front of my face - but now this monitor has kind of put me off mini-LED (due to blooming) and ASUS.

My old NEC monitor will have to last for another couple of years until we get another generation of 4K/120Hz/HDMI 2.1 and all the goodies.

Back