ASUS Prime Z590-M Plus + Radeon compatibility issues?

sc5mu93

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an ASUS Prime Z590-M Plus (mATX) board with intel 11900K and Radeon 5700 (Flashed to 5700XT power specs).
I put together the system the other day, and it was bonkers frustrating.

My config included the board, the gfx, the cpu, 4x8GB DDR4, 1 M.2 NVMe SSD, two 2.5 inch drives in a RAID (stripe), and Intel WiGig card for wireless VR.

1) I put the system together, no video.
2) switched to iGPU - get video.
3) switched back to dGPU - no video.
4) switched Power supplies - no video.
5) tested 5700 in different system - get video.
6) moved m.2 drive to different m.2 (non-pci-e 4.0 slot) - no video
7) removed everything except 5700 and RAM/cpu- no video.
8) remove power, remove cmos battery, short CMOS jumper - get dgpu video - YAY!
9) add m.2 drive - no video. BOOOOO
repeat step 8 after EVERY component added back in to keep dgpu video.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Very frustrating. Trying to figure out why it would do this, and how to avoid it in the future when I make a hardware change.

I have an ASUS Prime Z590-M Plus (mATX) board with intel 11900K and Radeon 5700 (Flashed to 5700XT power specs).
I put together the system the other day, and it was bonkers frustrating.

My config included the board, the gfx, the cpu, 4x8GB DDR4, 1 M.2 NVMe SSD, two 2.5 inch drives in a RAID (stripe), and Intel WiGig card for wireless VR.

1) I put the system together, no video.
2) switched to iGPU - get video.
3) switched back to dGPU - no video.
4) switched Power supplies - no video.
5) tested 5700 in different system - get video.
6) moved m.2 drive to different m.2 (non-pci-e 4.0 slot) - no video
7) removed everything except 5700 and RAM/cpu- no video.
8) remove power, remove cmos battery, short CMOS jumper - get dgpu video - YAY!
9) add m.2 drive - no video. BOOOOO
repeat step 8 after EVERY component added back in to keep dgpu video.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Very frustrating. Trying to figure out why it would do this, and how to avoid it in the future when I make a hardware change.
They are definitely 100-% compatible. It’s an off issue for sure. Is there an option within bios to choose dgpu over onboard ?

They are definitely 100-% compatible. It’s an off issue for sure. Is there an option within bios to choose dgpu over onboard ?
yes. there UEFI included selection for GFX including AUTO, PEG, PCIE, and IGPU. i tried each at various points during this install with very little effect that I could discern.

Is there a second PCIE slot to try the card in? Just to rule out a faulty pcie slot?
Yes. There is a second pci-e 16x slot. Tried, it with the same result. I need to see what version firmware I am on, and possibly upgrade that. mebe.

Yes. There is a second pci-e 16x slot. Tried, it with the same result. I need to see what version firmware I am on, and possibly upgrade that. mebe.
That wouldn’t stop a video card from working. I’m not familiar with the bios settings on that board. But 99% of the time most boards now are plug and play with a dgpu.

That wouldn’t stop a video card from working. I’m not familiar with the bios settings on that board. But 99% of the time most boards now are plug and play with a dgpu.
i agree as that was my expectation - especially with ASUS. It should have "just worked". I was just wondering if anyone else had experience this. I also recognize, this is a mATX board, and i figure no one on this board uses this dying form factor anymore. ATX, eATX, and ITX are the hotness.

i agree as that was my expectation - especially with ASUS. It should have "just worked". I was just wondering if anyone else had experience this. I also recognize, this is a mATX board, and i figure no one on this board uses this dying form factor anymore. ATX, eATX, and ITX are the hotness.
Oh plenty of people do. I have a few matx setups that are new. It’s more popular than you’d think. Huge cases are becoming a distant memory for some people.

Oh plenty of people do. I have a few matx setups that are new. It’s more popular than you’d think. Huge cases are becoming a distant memory for some people.
yeah - but the motherboard manufactuers don't think it is in huge demand. not a huge selection compared to all the other form factors.

Tried a different GPU in the board yet?
Sold all my secondaries because it is pretty bonkers to hold onto them in this market. However, with any luck in the coming days I will swap it out with 6800XT to see if same problem happens again.

yeah - but the motherboard manufactuers don't think it is in huge demand. not a huge selection compared to all the other form factors.

Sold all my secondaries because it is pretty bonkers to hold onto them in this market. However, with any luck in the coming days I will swap it out with 6800XT to see if same problem happens again.
Plus you knew the card worked in another rig. I’d still try another gpu in it and let us know what you find out. I’m interested in what’s going on.

I've run into some Asus boards not outputting bios display via DP and only via HDMI, if you're using DP it may be worth a shot to try the HDMI output.

I've run into some Asus boards not outputting bios display via DP and only via HDMI, if you're using DP it may be worth a shot to try the HDMI output.
actually I thought about this, and tried both as well. same result. so ridiculously bonkers.

My idea would be to flash the GPU back to it's original state and see if it works any better, it's not beacause it was fine on your old machine that the new one can not be finicky about it.

My idea would be to flash the GPU back to it's original state and see if it works any better, it's not beacause it was fine on your old machine that the new one can not be finicky about it.
variable I hadn't thought about. Good point.

BIOS was 0406 which isnt even available for download on website that I can see. Updated to 0820 which is the most recent.

Tomorrow 6800xt arrives. lets see if it accepts it without requiring BIOS battery pull and jumper short.

If that doesn't work perhaps the case is shorting the express lanes of the board. Maybe bench build it for a test to see if it is the case or a stand off.

If that doesn't work perhaps the case is shorting the express lanes of the board. Maybe bench build it for a test to see if it is the case or a stand off.
Good idea. probably will pull the whole thing out when the 6800xt shows up.

Dot in case I think of something; you hit most of my targets. Will say that mATX isn't dead, it's just the least popular size, so it only comes for board/CPU combos that are expected to sell heavily (B550 / B450 have a ton, B460 has some for certain, etc). Tends to be the midrange chipset, since you don't have the slots for a high end PCH.

Dropped in 6800XT. No issue. So I've narrowed it down to BIOS update (most likely) or 5700xt flash (less likely imo)

Dropped in 6800XT. No issue. So I've narrowed it down to BIOS update (most likely) or 5700xt flash (less likely imo)

I did the 5700 flash and never had a problem in several different boards. It's not the kind of flash that would change anything about the card other than the power limits. It should be fine under a non-intense load like when trying to boot.

Haven't had an issue with this since switching to the 6800XT, but wondering, could it have been a situation where slot was set to PCIe Gen4, and it didn't like the PCIe Gen3 5700XT? The other system I tested the 5700XT (with no issue) was Gen3 exclusive. Then in moving to the Gen4 6800XT, the board was happier.

May play with it again this weekend to see if I can recreate, and test this theory.

Back