Asus Prime X470 Pro no good

thebufenator

[H]ard|Gawd
So I bought the new Ryzen:

Ryzen 2700X
ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Gskill F43200C15D-16GVK (Samsung B die)

I spent two whole afternoons trying to get the memory above 2933. I could run tight 14-14-14 timings at 2933, but would fail to post at anything above that. Cranking up voltage did nothing, among all the other things I tested.

I got sick of it, and purchased an open box ASUS Crosshair VI X370 at Microcenter. After updating the BIOS to the newest that supports the 2700X, it booted fine. Loaded the 3200mhz CAS14 profile, boots fine. Zero work at all. Sisoft memory bandwidth was measured at 33GB/s on the X470 at 2933Mhz. On the Crosshair VI, 40GB/s at 3200Mhz.

In short, avoid the ASUS Prime X470 pro. Older mature X370 boards work much better

How's the POST times on the new bioses of the X370s? I remember it being quite an issue when the Ryzen1s launched, then the grumblings disappeared completely a bit of a while after.

Not sure if it's because it was so small a deal that people didn't care, or a bios update came and fixed everything.

After a setting change it can take a a bit to post.

After that first post it seems fine. It does seem slower than the X470 to post tho

How's the POST times on the new bioses of the X370s? I remember it being quite an issue when the Ryzen1s launched, then the grumblings disappeared completely a bit of a while after.

Not sure if it's because it was so small a deal that people didn't care, or a bios update came and fixed everything.

BIOS updates have been steadily whittling away at it. Post times on my Asus Prime B350 Plus mainboards are comparable to my cousin's Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming-7.

Thanks for the update. Looking to pick up a 2700X build but can't seem to pull the trigger... hehe

I was reading on Anandtech forums that others had no problems with running 3200 CAS14 on the x470 PRIME. Maybe the memory XMP settings is what matters?

The mobo didn't like the xmp profile of my Corsair kit (CMD32GX4M2C3466C16W) and couldn't get it to work at 3400 or 3466 at all. Stable at 3333 with 16-18-18-36 timings, but had to play with the voltage until I got something that wouldn't throw errors in stress test. 1.35v boots shows issues when running blended prime with most memory utilized, 1.345-1.340 seems to be what was needed. Hopefully the 3466 profile loads with later bios updates.

That's interesting. For myself 1.42+ volts did nothing to get a boot at 3000. Memory boots fine in this x370 board at 3466 (not stable yet)

Maybe that's too much? I did some more tinkering and was able to get this dominator kit to post and boot up at 3400 running at 1.33000v. It is not stable as it craps itself in the stress test, but it posts and boots. Had it higher before and it wouldn't even post. Why? No clue. Looks like 3333 is my stable max right now.

Unless I want this ....

3400 unstable.JPG

Threadripper has quad channel, not Ryzen. Sure, the board has 4 slots, but the memory controller is in the cpu, and Ryzen has issues with memory speeds even with 2 sticks. 4 is even harder to get to run at high speeds. My guess is that G.Skill is just covering themselves and trying to limit complaints. It's better to steer people who want Ryzen to kits with 2 sticks, and single rank as well.

Tried playing around with it some more and the best the board could do stable is 3333mhz with 14-13-13-33 timings. Tried to fine-tune some of the other settings but it didn't work out too well. 3400 also loads with them but it's not stable just like before. Looks like the higher speeds are no go.

I have the same board in another rig, tried it with some RAM I had laying around (not on the compatibility list) and Ive had issues but I don't blame the board at this point. Going to have to wait until I can buy some new DIMMS to give it an honest review.

Back