Asus Prime X370-PRO Restart/Shutdown issues

JavaLava

Limp Gawd
I have a AMD Ryzen 1800x build and having issues with the motherboard shutting down and/or restarting. When I go to execute a shutdown or restart from the OS, it takes a long while for the motherboard to completely power down after the OS finishes shutting down. My video card stops outputting video and I verified its fan turns off, usb devices turns off, but the system fans stay spinning. It just stays that way for anywhere between a few minutes to upwards to an hour. If I do a restart, ill end up holding the power button until it hard shuts down and then power it back on.

The build is as follows:
  • AMD Ryzen 1800X
  • Asus Prime X370-PRO
  • Nvidia GTX 970
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
  • Windows 10 Pro (latest build with latest patches)
I have the latest BIOS flashed and the latest drivers installed on the Asus website. I verified the memory I do have is on the compatibility list for the motherboard. I opened a case with Asus and sent in the board...only to get it sent back with a note that said the engineers determined nothing was wrong with it.

I am kind of at a lost on this. Any insight and ideas at this point would be great.

is there any way you can test your gear in a friends rig or visa versus? ie the psu, gpu, mem or better yet do you have a back up rig you can test in?

there could be something in the background causing it. create a new account and see if it shuts down correctly. if it does you need to disable everything in your normal account, see if it works then add thing back until you find the culprit.
if it still doesn't shutdown, disconnect every extra device and hdd/ssd/optical see if that get you any where.
also, any oc on it? bios at default?

Wow! I had the same issue. (sort of)

i upgraded my 1700 to a 2700X and today had all weird reboots

I have the Asus ROG Strix X370-F

I was scratching my head to the point I uninstalled all my AMD Drivers, reinstalled them, and still had the issue.

I wound up swapping out the 2700X for the 1700, and the stability returned. I had no issue with any reboots.

I would look at the MB Bios at this point. (Weird MS update?)

It might have to do with AGESA 1.0.0.2a according to the Ryzen RAM calculator creator.

is there any way you can test your gear in a friends rig or visa versus? ie the psu, gpu, mem or better yet do you have a back up rig you can test in?

Unfortunately not. I was the one in the group to take the plunge on Ryzen and move from Intel. I did try my wifes PSU and GPU and still same results. No one else I know has DDR4 or Ryzen based Motherboards and CPU's.

there could be something in the background causing it. create a new account and see if it shuts down correctly. if it does you need to disable everything in your normal account, see if it works then add thing back until you find the culprit.
if it still doesn't shutdown, disconnect every extra device and hdd/ssd/optical see if that get you any where.
also, any oc on it? bios at default?

I completely formatted the drive to same results. I also did try the other account trick just to make sure and no luck. No OC...default speeds. I did disable fast boot in the BIOS, but that is about it.

I am beginning to suspect a minor difference between X370 and X470 boards is the issue with the reboots

most likely the bios and quite frankly it's asus so i'm not surprised really.. their Q&A with bios for x370 has been pretty abysmal.. might be worth reflashing back to the 1.0.0.1a bios instead unless there are any known compatibility issues with those. this problem is definitely not related to the chipsets though and is purely asus's fault.

Not having any issues with the 4009 Bios 1.0.0.2.a Aegis in the Ryzen 1700, just the 2700X that causes the reboots

I would either give the new 4011 BIOS a try (it was released today) or roll back to the 3203/3404 from January since you are running an 1800X and fairly slow-ish ram. Both of those gave me excellent results with my old 1600 @ 4.1Ghz and 3200 C16 ram running @ 2933 14-14-14-1T. The system has run 24/7 mining Cryptonight and used for gaming/web use/video playback/plex server etc and it just works. I am going to give the 4011 a try later this week with my 2700...I know my ram is pretty much tapped out at 2933 C14 unless I want to roll to 3200 C16, which with the old cpu was slower then 2933 c14.

Was traveling for work and finally was able to spend more time with this issue last night.

I updated to the latest BIOS released on 5-2 and also updated to the latest Windows 10 1803 build. Still the same behavior :(

I have tried a few fresh OS installs with no success. BIOS is default with the exception of disabling Fast Boot. No O.C either.

so 3 things, are you using RAID or AHCI in the bios? do you have fast restart enabled in w10? and do you have asus's crappy AI suite software installed?

Last edited:
so 3 things, are you using RAID or AHCI in the bios? do you have fast restart enabled in w10? and do you have asus's crappy AI suite software installed?

RAID is enabled. I have two 64GB SSD's that I RAID 0 together to make a 128GB drive. I also have some other SSD's that are not RAIDED.

ASUS AI suite is not installed

I do have "Turn on Fast Startup" enabled in the power system settings.

RAID is enabled. I have two 64GB SSD's that I RAID 0 together to make a 128GB drive. I also have some other SSD's that are not RAIDED.

ASUS AI suite is not installed

I do have "Turn on Fast Startup" enabled in the power system settings.

from the few threads i've found having raid set seems to be what causes the delayed shutdown on the msi pro board. why it does i don't know though. might be worth booting into a linux on a flash drive seeing if the delayed shutdown happens, then disconnecting those drives and changing it to ahci mode and testing again. at least you'll be able to see if it is or isn't the reason it's happening.

from the few threads i've found having raid set seems to be what causes the delayed shutdown on the msi pro board. why it does i don't know though. might be worth booting into a linux on a flash drive seeing if the delayed shutdown happens, then disconnecting those drives and changing it to ahci mode and testing again. at least you'll be able to see if it is or isn't the reason it's happening.

Gotcha...yeah its probably close to time to retire these 64GB SSD's. I got them many many years ago when there was a sale and it was cheaper to by these 2 and RAID them then it was to get a 128GB or above SSD. I been waiting for a good NVMe deal.

Well, I updated my Asus ROG 370-f to the latest Bios (4012 I think) and the reboots have STOPPED with the 2700X :)

So nice to be stable 24/7 again!

Ugh so now I noticed the computer is starting up on its own. I mentioned in my initial message that it could take a few minutes to an hour for the board to fully shutdown and stop the system fans. I guess now when that time comes, it just powers back on? A few times this week, I know for sure I hit the shutdown button and come in my office in the morning and see the system fully on.

I took the PSU and put it in my wife's computer and all seems well, so I don't think its a PSU instability issue. I also had these issues since day 1 when rebuilding my Intel rig with this and the PSU was same unit from that Intel rig with no issues.

I already sent this board once into Asus and they sent it back saying no issues found. I guess ill open another RMA with them and try push them into a different board. At least everything seems stable and fine when the system is running.

is this happening after a fresh install without anything else installed? like no mobo software or drivers just windows installed.

While the install im on now is fully loaded with my apps and games...thru the few times I did reinstall the OS during all this troubleshooting...it would be reproducible the moment the system booted up the first time and I go to shut it down/restart it without installing anything else.

k. does it do it with the absolute minimum components? ie remove any extra drives and external devices. on the off chance can you try another m/kb?

k. does it do it with the absolute minimum components? ie remove any extra drives and external devices. on the off chance can you try another m/kb?

Yup thought of all this :( I removed all but one hard drive and also alternated hard drives. I tried my wife's keyboard and mouse and her video card. I brought ram that is on the qualified vendor list (initially the ram I had wasn't). All no success.

About to leave for a week and when I get back....guess ill call Asus again. Really leaning towards the mobo....maybe though...ill try a brand new PSU. The PSU is the only part I haven't tried differently (even though I tried it in my wife's computer...her's isn't powerful enough to bring over to mine).

Things have settled down finally and back at this. I opened up a new case with Asus to try get them to replace it (at this point I don't care if its refurbed...just want a different one).

Just for my own knowledge as I never really dealt with Asus support before (minus the one time earlier this year on trying to get this repaired)...how do they handle RMA's? Is it possible to get a new board shipped before sending the current one back (I know some manufacturers will do this if they take your credit card, etc)? Only asking as I am doing a lot of work at home this summer and really don't want and can't to loose my workstation.

Well you can add me to the club of issues with this board now. Guess I shouldn't have spoken up about it earlier. Mine appears to have the infamous random bios brick that was happening around launch time last year.

Well I think I finally figured this out...I brought me a new GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING motherboard and went to the X470 chipset. Also threw in a 1TB Samsung nVME drive in it. Things seems to be a lot more stable and it actually can shutdown and reboot properly!

Back