ASUS Prime X370-Pro or MSI Tomahawk B450? Quick please :)

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
Which would you rather use for a 2700X build? Hardware Unboxed absolutely loves the Tomahawk, and there are very mixed reviews for the X370-Pro from ASUS.

I doubt I will be overclocking it, and might, down the road, throw a cheap 3xxx or 4xxx series in it.

Thanks!

I think a lot of the mixed reviews are from launch. I haven't had any problems with the X370-Pro after a few bios updates. While they probably aren't that much different in terms of performance, I trust Asus to update the bios more regularly than I trust MSI at this point. MSI already had some issues with 3XXX series CPU's and the B450 boards.

Probably would come down to price honestly.

Micro Center has an Open Box Tomahawk for $91 - $30 = $61, with the 2700X bundle. I have a new ASUS X370-Pro sitting here, unused. I can sell the ASUS for the $60, no prob, locally. So, it would be a wash.

Micro Center has an Open Box Tomahawk for $91 - $30 = $61, with the 2700X bundle. I have a new ASUS X370-Pro sitting here, unused. I can sell the ASUS for the $60, no prob, locally. So, it would be a wash.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. I just like the Asus bios better, so I'd say Asus.

Asus over MSI for motherboards - for longer firmware support.

Wasn’t that long ago MSI said they weren't going to update 3 series motherboards to support Ryzen 3 series CPUs. Asus said they would. That distinction is very relevant here.

waderunner posted this AMD motherboard VRM guide in another thread I just stumbled upon. Its worth a look

And Dayaks. Im on my mobile and cant easily compare the two. They may be the same thread.

2iwdy5wrrly31.png

Last edited:
Don't know if you made the choice yet, but I'll throw this in......

Just built a 3600X system on the MSI Tomahawk Max and it's running great.
Memory is GSkill 2x8GB 3600 kit.

I'm an IT guy and I've bought a lot of ASUS boards over the years and can't remember
any major issues with them. So I have nothing bad to say about ASUS.

I've been buying MSI boards for the last 5 or 6 years though and like them a lot.
The MSI boards have been Z97, Z370, Z390, and now B450.

Good performance and no problems.

Back