ASUS Policy on Cougar Point based MBs? (Intel Recall)

What's the chance ASUS will let us keep our defective mobos? I doubt it would be cost effective (if even possible) for asus to repair all of these used mobos and sell them as refurbs.

Send me a new mobo and let me keep my old one for folding and you will be the god of all mobo manufactures in my eyes.

Hypothetical question here...What happens to the folks whom activated a new OS install on the bugged Motherboard that needs to be replaced? If you replace your board and try to re-install the OS using the same key, windows is not going to like it very much, and most likely say that the key is tied to a different system. You probably will need to call one of the monkeys @ ms tech support and get a new key. If your vwindows install is a system builders version of the OS (like many do because its less $$) can you still get a new key for a re-install on the new board? Might have to eat that $100 and pony up for a new key.

You should be fine, I've swapped out hardware over the years and have never been denied a new key.

Xtreme systems, MSI volunteer forum. They're there, just not in the same numbers. I think the vast majority of folks are not affected by this issue ... yet.

My guess is that ASUS is simply out-selling the competition to such an extent that it looks like an ASUS only problem. Yet, count the number of posts with problems with ASUS P67 boards, its a few dozen individuals not hundreds and many of those complaints deal with sleep mode. Additionally, many of the existing complaints have been addressed.

Yep, this is strictly an Intel chipset issue. It affects all the X67 motherboards, including Intel's own.

What's the chance ASUS will let us keep our defective mobos? I doubt it would be cost effective (if even possible) for asus to repair all of these used mobos and sell them as refurbs.

Send me a new mobo and let me keep my old one for folding and you will be the god of all mobo manufactures in my eyes.

There are a lot of parts of the world where they would love to get this board for $100 and resell it for $125. Forget about keeping the board.

I second the SATA PCI-Express card idea. I have everything organized in my case already and I don't think I have enough thermal paste leftover to reseat my CPU again. Gahhhh

I just got off the phone with Asus tech support and was told to go ahead and install my 2 boards and if there is a recall they will notify me and do an advance replacement if needed. (if available)
I just received my order and I'm installing them now.
They are testing the boards to see which is affected and he would not comment on much more than that.

2 builds:
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard- i7 2600K

and:
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard- i5-2500K

Could always hold onto the board until everyone gets their's fixed and then sell it as a super rare messed up edition. :p

When was the last time there was a recall on motherboards?

Maybe I can get an advance RMA and send em a case of beer to upgrade me to a Sabertooth?

Here's to hoping Asus lets us trade up and pay the difference to go to Z68 *fingers crossed*

I just setup a P8P67 Deluxe and was going to pull it anyhow eventually for a new heatsink, but for now going to remove my raid array on the Sata2 ports, and use the Sata3 ports for my main SSD. I recommend you all do the same...

That would be sweet! My next board for ivy bridge will be asus if they were to do something like this. Then I'll have 3 folding rigs come next year instead of 2. Stick a spare drive in the sata 6 slot and be done with it. Split my 16 gigs of ram up into the 2 systems as 8 each since 16 is overkill.. would only need to buy a cheap power supply, case, and another 2600k. Already have a cheap geforce card I got for 20 bucks AR.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad I waited before my upgrade.I was battling the upgrade bug for a few weeks now.I almost bought the P8P67 Pro board a few times already but was waiting for Newegg to have some better combo deals.

Thinking about this, I'm so glad I upgraded before the recall !

Those of us who did have 4.6GHz machines, today.
Can't even buy the MB anymore.

Lots of SATA ports on the Asus Pro that work perfectly fine and USB 3, etc.

yea same here i don't have any issues with my asus p8p67 or my 2600k running at 4.6gh
iam running 2 ssds off the 6gbps sata3 ports since the begining

You know- someone on another board had a good thought- maybe Asus could consider it. I will glady take a SATA pci-express add on card to correct the problem. Maybe Intel can just ship add-on cards to correct the problem- if that is an option I would go for that.

I just realized....I have an Asus u3s6...which I bought to get usb 3.0 on an older mobo. However, this thing has 2 6GB SATA ports on it! This thing is only $35 or so.

+1!

I think some solid advice has to be given in this situation.

I received just about all my purchase for an upgrade. Going from a very stable P5Q/Q9650 to a P8P67/I7-2600

Drive config is as follows

1) OCZ Agility 2 (Boot Drive/Win 7)
2) Velociraptors in Raid 0
2) WD Black 1TB in Raid 0

Should I go ahead with the build?

Return everything and wait for April, when inevitably everything will be sorted out and probably cheaper?

I personally wouldn't build a new SB system right now since you'll have to RMA the motherboard anyway. If you can still return it, I'd do that.

I have had a lot of fun sorting out all the m/b quirks with the help of members on this site
Looking foreward to doing it all again in April
Although we should have a fantastic bios by then
So glad I already have my interim Pro m/b to test out all the updates

I received just about all my purchase for an upgrade. Going from a very stable P5Q/Q9650 to a P8P67/I7-2600

Return everything and wait for April, when inevitably everything will be sorted out and probably cheaper?

If you can hold off the return I would do so for as long as possible and wait for the response from mobo makers.

If say Asus announces they'd do cross shipping/advanced replacement no questions asked when the new chips come in, I'd just make do with less drives for now.

My thinking is that if Intel is saying Late Feb, were looking at probably late March at best for replacements.

I am sure there are going to be much better prices then on this stuff, esp since Intel is going to take a huge hit for the FUBAR in the first place.

Why does everybody on the internet act like sandy bridge motherboards are completely broken just because the old SATA-II ports will maybe break in 2-3 years for 5% of the users ? How many of them will actually keep their board that long and still rely on the old ports to this day ? All the panic about this problem is ridiculous. Our future HDD/SSD's will be SATA-III most likely anyway and i rather enjoy my Sandy Bridge than going through all the RMA hassle just for this and ending up with some refurbished board.

Why does everybody on the internet act like sandy bridge motherboards are completely broken just because the old SATA-II ports will maybe break in 2-3 years for 5% of the users ? How many of them will actually keep their board that long and still rely on the old ports to this day ? All the panic about this problem is ridiculous. Our future HDD/SSD's will be SATA-III most likely anyway and i rather enjoy my Sandy Bridge than going through all the RMA hassle just for this and ending up with some refurbished board.

That's a fine attitude to have if you only use one or two SATA devices, but some people use a few more. For them there's no choice but to hook them up to the defective ports.

I dont know about you, but when I upgrade, I sell my old parts. I'd rather not sell my old parts to someone just to have it die on them and they come back to me saying I sold them a piece of crap.

Plus if I pay for something, I want 100% of it to work right or I want a replacement.

That's a fine attitude to have if you only use one or two SATA devices, but some people use a few more. For them there's no choice but to hook them up to the defective ports.

isn't the marvel one ok too?
so thats 2+2?

I would keep it IF you can manage to get your data out of those RAID arrays. If you read closely it could possibly effect raid arrays in a very bad way. Say your temps on your board get too high and the signal starts to degrade leading to one of the drives dropping off. That would toast your array pretty easily.

That said, I could easily return my setup. I'm still within the return period with Frys, but I'm not gonna bother. My temps are cool enough to where I don't think it will become a problem before Asus figures out what they are going to do.

As always, to each their own

What your missing is many of us are within the return period since they were just released. I'm waiting to see how the manufacturers handle the issue to make a final decision. If they offer replacements with the new silicon, many of us would be happy. However I'm concerned they may not offer anything (quoting the percentage), if they do they will only sub out current versions (with known chipset issue) as replacements, and/or providing refurbished parts as replacements (others might find this acceptable, but having some bad experiences with refurbs I'm not a fan).

There are people that use computers differently. Some burn and turn every year, others move systems to other uses after the prime is gone, other's sell to invest in new, and others use them until they break. Personally I either sell or move it to my friends/family machine. This anouncement hampers both of these activities for me as I bought a board with 6 sata ports, and now I have the possibility of having only 2.

Personally I'm waiting for the manufacturers to announce how they will handle this issue. If I hear nothing, or something I don't agree with, I will return it with the vendor before my return period ends. The decision for others may not be as easy.

I know some are thinking "just continue to use it, manufacturer X will take care of us later." With post customer support declining (will always be an expense), I'm not so trusting of big companies doing the customer any favors. When it comes down to it, profits will always trump customer satisfaction.

Okay thats true, and i feel sorry for the people who are in that situation and don't know if they should return their boards or not. I also called my retailer regarding this, Mindfactory.de, the german version of Newegg.com. I'm within the 14 days after purchase but they refused a full refund because the board is used now and i can't RMA it either because its not broken yet. They still happily sell these boards on all shopping websites here... I had so bad experiences with RMA'ing hardware in the past and just hope Intel/Asus will work something out but i don't expect too much, new boards for everybody will just not happen. If i have to send mine in i will be without PC for weeks, thats why i wont do it unless its absolutely necessary.

Back