ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

I got mine, at long last.
  • Backlight bleed is very minimal.
  • There's no general top-to-bottom uniformity issue.
  • IPS glow seems pretty standard for this panel, with the glow on the right, especially the bottom-right, being more noticeable than on the left.
  • It has two dead pixels: one on the left, one on the bottom right, both about 1/2 inch from the edge.
I couldn't locate a date of manufacture on the box; it could have gotten covered by a shipping label. There was no 'QC' sticker.

While I don't feel like I won the panel lottery, it's acceptable. I'm just a bit disheartened "acceptable" is the term I'm using to describe a product I dropped $750 on. Maybe my expectations were too high.

I got mine, at long last.
  • Backlight bleed is very minimal.
  • There's no general top-to-bottom uniformity issue.
  • IPS glow seems pretty standard for this panel, with the glow on the right, especially the bottom-right, being more noticeable than on the left.
  • It has two dead pixels: one on the left, one on the bottom right, both about 1/2 inch from the edge.
I couldn't locate a date of manufacture on the box; it could have gotten covered by a shipping label. There was no 'QC' sticker.

While I don't feel like I won the panel lottery, it's acceptable. I'm just a bit disheartened "acceptable" is the term I'm using to describe a product I dropped $750 on. Maybe my expectations were too high.
it is really does suck but thats all the market has to offer :/

I definitely got a good one but in reality it is a below quality panel, which makes me sick to say i got a good one when it is below truly acceptable quality.

Sometimes I regret going 4k 27" instead of 1440p, but then I read comments like these. The AHVA (IPS-ish) panels used in these monitors have been hit or miss. The only panel I've ever had with any number of dead pixels was AHVA (4 of them, to be exact, and all 4 had dead/stuck pixels). I've gone through budget IPS/VA/TN monitors under $200 and never had these issues. And the 4k 27" I own now, due to the high PPI, doesn't exhibit noticeable scaling issues in games. Playing 1440p next to my ACD (also 27" 1440p IPS) is virtually indistinguishable.

I feel for you guys who are having these issues though. If there was one 27" 1440p non-TN FreeSync that wasn't a lottery, I would have jumped on it before making this call.

How does this monitor do with a 1920x1080 input (xbone). Still look good scaled up to 2560x1440?

Last edited:
I have my xbone plugged into it. It looks great.

I've recently come across a major problem for me.

I tried plugging my PS4 into it and playing Star Ocean 5, and within 2 minutes, I had image retention issues. I changed the HDMI cables and it still happened. Dreading it might be a bad monitor (as I have a near perfect PG279Q, and fear getting a replacement with dead pixels, bad color uniformity, backlight bleeding, etc.), I tried plugging the PS4 into my Acer XB271HU, and got the same issue to appear. I'm not sure why this happens, but there's either a fault with my PS4's HDMI output, or an issue with the panel in general.

I've recently come across a major problem for me.

I tried plugging my PS4 into it and playing Star Ocean 5, and within 2 minutes, I had image retention issues. I changed the HDMI cables and it still happened. Dreading it might be a bad monitor (as I have a near perfect PG279Q, and fear getting a replacement with dead pixels, bad color uniformity, backlight bleeding, etc.), I tried plugging the PS4 into my Acer XB271HU, and got the same issue to appear. I'm not sure why this happens, but there's either a fault with my PS4's HDMI output, or an issue with the panel in general.

huh? image retention?

huh? image retention?

Yeah. It appears only for this one game, and it only takes a couple minutes to appear. You'll see the outline of the map on Windows, and fortunately it will disappear after 5 or so minutes, but it's still kind of discouraging. Like I said though, this happens with the Acer too, so I'm not sure if it's the panel, or a fault with my PS4.

Is anyone using another vesa stand for their PG279Q? If so, what do you use?

The stand it comes with just has too large of a footprint for my tastes. on a 24" deep desk it feels like the screen is right up in my face.

The stand it comes with just has too large of a footprint for my tastes. on a 24" deep desk it feels like the screen is right up in my face.
I need to move it to my monitor arm....still haven't done that yet.

What is the wight of this monitor anyways?

Are you talking arm or stand? I have two ergotron LX wallmount arms and an amazon basics black clamp-on arm. If you run across that and are interested, the amazon arms are rebranded ergotrons. I bought the amazon version because its black. Ergotrons are silver.

Are you talking arm or stand? I have two ergotron LX wallmount arms and an amazon basics black clamp-on arm. If you run across that and are interested, the amazon arms are rebranded ergotrons. I bought the amazon version because its black. Ergotrons are silver.
amazon sells one now? I was buying the HP ones for while since they were black and cheaper 80-100 bucks IIRC vs 140

PG279Q not recognized at boot - black screen
Hi,

New monitor. Hooked up to an EVGA 980 TI Kingpin mini-DP port (with adapter). Motherboard or GPU (can't tell) beeps twice and monitor doesn't sync or turn on but system continues to boot windows in the dark. However when old monitor hooked up to DVI port as well the PG279Q is recognized and added to the extended desktop and recognized no problem just as a second screen. Not sure what is specifically the problem. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Well I rolled the dice and wow the screen was beautiful! Unfortunately 4 dead pixels right in the middle of the screen. I fired up Battlefield 1942 (oh yeah still the best) and there was a L shaped group of gray pixels right next to my crosshair. Totally annoying. Reading the ASUS warranty that's not enough for them to give a crap, so luckily Amazon took it back no problem. They must get a TON of these returned. I may try one more... or just give up on the dream and try the 24" ASUS TN panel for $250 and not sweat trying to get perfection for $800.

The BLB was standard but I didn't notice it when playing. If I could get one with a pixel or two off to the sides I might be happy... then again for $800 feels like it should be perfect.

Do manufacturers not have a way to detect bad pixels in a panel through an automated process? Or do they and they just don't care?

Hi,

New monitor. Hooked up to an EVGA 980 TI Kingpin mini-DP port (with adapter). Motherboard or GPU (can't tell) beeps twice and monitor doesn't sync or turn on but system continues to boot windows in the dark. However when old monitor hooked up to DVI port as well the PG279Q is recognized and added to the extended desktop and recognized no problem just as a second screen. Not sure what is specifically the problem. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Did you try a regular DP?

Hi,

Thank you.
2 beeps usually means the RAM needs to be reseated. Since you say it only happens with the one monitor plugged in the adapter you're using may be grounding something out. Have you tried a different Mini DP output or different Mini DP to DP adapter?

Just to be sure you don't have any other issues I'd reseat your RAM and video card. While you're at it, check if there is any flex in the PCI-E slot that is indicative of video card sag.
Did you try a regular DP?
The K|NGP|N only has three Mini DP outputs. They made it "single slot ready" in the case that you're replacing the HSF with a water block.
upload_2016-9-19_16-31-20.png

2 beeps usually means the RAM needs to be reseated. Since you say it only happens with the one monitor plugged in the adapter you're using may be grounding something out. Have you tried a different Mini DP output or different Mini DP to DP adapter?

Just to be sure you don't have any other issues I'd reseat your RAM and video card. While you're at it, check if there is any flex in the PCI-E slot that is indicative of video card sag.

The K|NGP|N only has three Mini DP outputs. They made it "single slot ready" in the case that you're replacing the HSF with a water block.
View attachment 7986
dump the adapter and get a mini dp to dp cable. much better route.

Does anyone use this monitor at 165hz?Just curious because i got the pg248Q 180hz,but on the highest refresh rate i can see the pixels on the screen and icons look pixelated/edgy(like i need to turn up AA).I can notice this even at 160hz,do you guys notice this on the PG279Q?

Just so you know, you can set your desktop refresh rate to be 120hz and set your 3d settings in nvidia drivers to use the max refresh rate available. That way you will only be at the max hz while gaming.
Unless you are playing a game with little demand on the gpu, you aren't going to be feeding any of those hz newer frames of game world action anyway. Most people are only seeing that kind of frame rate saturated hz in the "no demand" desktop.
Some people cap their frame rate below the monitor's maximum refresh rate because apparently you can get a small amount of input lag when your fps goes higher than the max refresh rate of a monitor using g-sync. Very high refresh rate monitors can help you avoid ever hitting that cap during fps spikes though even if you aren't generally getting those frame rates.

You still shouldn't be getting that kind of effect on a monitor (maybe something with the g-sync module?) but I thought I'd mention these things in case you weren't aware of them.

Does anyone use this monitor at 165hz?Just curious because i got the pg248Q 180hz,but on the highest refresh rate i can see the pixels on the screen and icons look pixelated/edgy(like i need to turn up AA).I can notice this even at 160hz,do you guys notice this on the PG279Q?
120hz with ULMB would give better response times. Assuming it is bright enough for you

SomeGuy133 My main reason behind geting the PG248Q was G-SYNC,i wanted a cheap G-sync monitor and the asus was on sale for 100$ off :) At the price i got ,it was the cheapest G-sync monitor in my country.I keep it now at 144Hz,since the only game i can even push 180Hz is CS:GO.
From my understanding ULMB only helps with response time?I want to cut off tearing ,wich i find horible,does ULMB help with tearing?

SomeGuy133 My main reason behind geting the PG248Q was G-SYNC,i wanted a cheap G-sync monitor and the asus was on sale for 100$ off :) At the price i got ,it was the cheapest G-sync monitor in my country.I keep it now at 144Hz,since the only game i can even push 180Hz is CS:GO.
From my understanding ULMB only helps with response time?I want to cut off tearing ,wich i find horible,does ULMB help with tearing?
see for me blur is far worse than tearing and i hardly see tearing as it. Some games are worse than others but the difference in motion blur is huge with ULMB on.

I am interested in this display, but I am uncertain about it. I currently use the ASUS VG248QE, and it causes eye strain, which I assume is related to PWM flickering as other displays such as my Surface Book do not cause any issues.

How do people feel about this display compared to others? I have considered Ultra Wide, but I am not sure the price is worth it. I like the idea of it, but I play World of Warcraft and Diablo so I don't feel i gain more out of it; however, for Star Citizen it would be excellent.

Any other suggestions would be great too!

The real reason to get this screeb is IPS and ulm . If you dont care about ulmb and rather have more pixels and gsync get the ultrawide or another screen. For me the ips and ulmb are the 2 key selling points

My first impression with this particular monitor, having seen it at an expo here last year, is that, at least for the model they have on display (no pun intended), is that if I were in the market for this monitor, I would not choose PG279Q, but rather XB271HU.

The backlight bleed (or the IPS glow) on XB271HU is less visible with the screen on entirely dark background (comparable to my PG278Q actually, which I was impressed) than PG279Q was with a not entirely background (more typical of IPS panels I have seen).

However, that was just one model, and 1 glance at it, but my first impression is that XB271HU is the better panel.

If PG279Q was any better, I would have picked it purely because I know Asus support, whereas I have no idea about Acer, and Acer left a sour taste in my mouth when they took their bloody sweet time getting XB270HU here (unforgiveable is that their HQ is in my country). I was half a year into using PG278Q when they finally started selling XB270HU here.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is that I am in the polar opposite to SomeGuy133, I am extremely sensitive to screen tearing, as I easily notice things that are out of sync or disrupted patern, which makes tearing stick out like a sore thumb, whereas I don't see any benefit with ULMB mode. I have tried to look for it, but even in FPS games, I don't see it.

The only time I saw any kind of motion blur was when I switched PG278Q to BL3201PT, and even then it was temporary, it was gone after an hour or so.

I am also more susceptible to IPS glow, which was why I don't consider IPS to be a major selling point unless it's a very good panel, otherwise it often is actually a deal breaker.

TLDR: If you can, compare this with XB271HU, and buy the better one, which I believe is the XB271HU

My first impression with this particular monitor, having seen it at an expo here last year, is that, at least for the model they have on display (no pun intended), is that if I were in the market for this monitor, I would not choose PG279Q, but rather XB271HU.

The backlight bleed (or the IPS glow) on XB271HU is less visible with the screen on entirely dark background (comparable to my PG278Q actually, which I was impressed) than PG279Q was with a not entirely background (more typical of IPS panels I have seen).

However, that was just one model, and 1 glance at it, but my first impression is that XB271HU is the better panel.

If PG279Q was any better, I would have picked it purely because I know Asus support, whereas I have no idea about Acer, and Acer left a sour taste in my mouth when they took their bloody sweet time getting XB270HU here (unforgiveable is that their HQ is in my country). I was half a year into using PG278Q when they finally started selling XB270HU here.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is that I am in the polar opposite to SomeGuy133, I am extremely sensitive to screen tearing, as I easily notice things that are out of sync or disrupted patern, which makes tearing stick out like a sore thumb, whereas I don't see any benefit with ULMB mode. I have tried to look for it, but even in FPS games, I don't see it.

The only time I saw any kind of motion blur was when I switched PG278Q to BL3201PT, and even then it was temporary, it was gone after an hour or so.

I am also more susceptible to IPS glow, which was why I don't consider IPS to be a major selling point unless it's a very good panel, otherwise it often is actually a deal breaker.

TLDR: If you can, compare this with XB271HU, and buy the better one, which I believe is the XB271HU
did you ever game on CRTs?

Also what first person shooters do you play? Natural Selection 2 is very fast pace and ULMB is amazing in it but even in reguar windows i like having ULMB on lol.

Total War is also aweosme in ULMB. I rather play it at 4K due to detail but my god it is nice to actually see the unit as it walks verse is blurring blob that is normally seen as it walks across the screen

I used to game on CRT yes, but that was WAY before I was being picky about motion blur and such.

By the time I was anywhere near considering what type of a screen to get, I was WAY past even Plasma tech. The last CRT I had was 15 years ago, if not more, had been on LCD ever since.

The types of FPS I play are the non-twitchy kind (CS:GO with offline bots, Fallout 4, CoD and GoW on single player, etc etc).

So it could be that my brain is so attuned to motion blur that I don't process images while in motion, I only process it when it becomes static.

Thanks for your post. :)

I can get people that would say the exact opposite because it seems like it's all panel roulette with AU Optronics regardless of whose doing it and why a bunch of us are still sitting on the fence.

It's ridiculous that I come into these threads and see people talking about going through 7-9 (?!) of these to finally get a good one. I've seen that in the Acer threads, too.

Well, take my opinion with a Dead sea worth of salt, I only saw 1 of each panel a year ago, and I haven't seen any since (expensive monitors tend not to be displayed in shops in my locality), so it could very well be that the XB271HU I saw was a handpicked one.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Will anyone tell me what the cd/m2 is if you set both brightness and contrast to 0, please?

The monitor I use now I normally set to 17.5, and 35 is blinding to me. At 56, which is what tft-central says the PG279Q goes to at a minimum would be intolerable.

Will anyone tell me what the cd/m2 is if you set both brightness and contrast to 0, please?

The monitor I use now I normally set to 17.5, and 35 is blinding to me. At 56, which is what tft-central says the PG279Q goes to at a minimum would be intolerable.

......do you have some sort of illness?I have migraines and i wouldn't even be able to read it that dark. You could always run ULMB if you so wanted. ULMB at 10% is like that low and super fast.

......do you have some sort of illness?I have migraines and i wouldn't even be able to read it that dark. You could always run ULMB if you so wanted. ULMB at 10% is like that low and super fast.

But then it flickers :)

Yes, I get headaches (migraines?) and I have dry eyes - I use restasis.

The monitor I have now will go completely dark, all black - if I set brightness and contrast to 0.
I don't need a monitor that extreme, but would you say there's a big difference between 50 contrast and 0 contrast? tftcentral apparently measures at 50.

Back