ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Still haven't given up on the idea of a side screen to complement PG278Q, but so far all promising monitors have one major problem one way or another, this one included.

wa6jEeb.jpg

When did Amazon get stock in?

I check Amazon regularly (like 8 - 10 times a day!) and I've yet to even see a PG279Q product page let alone any in stock...

I check Amazon regularly (like 8 - 10 times a day!) and I've yet to even see a PG279Q product page let alone any in stock...

Beats me. The placeholder doesn't even come up in their search engine as of this moment.

Beats me. The placeholder doesn't even come up in their search engine as of this moment.

i have had it wishlisted and amazon wish list doesn't report it ever being instock or having a price so I dont know. Is that another country besides US?

I ordered it on the 2nd of November, while the order page was still up. I'm sure the order button will come back up soon.

I linked it earlier in the thread.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EVR2VM

i have had it wishlisted and amazon wish list doesn't report it ever being instock or having a price so I dont know. Is that another country besides US?

Nope, I'm in Iowa.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Give the 27 pages in length (at default settings), I think we can spare two posts of people pointing out that this monitor's Acer twin is now available.

Three, if you count the complaint about such an innocuous thing.

Four, if you count the counter-complaint. =P

Impressions after several days of use

Pics-

Black screen-

SfabWWl.jpg

27" Asus Rog in front of a Samsung JS9000 48"

n5CBOmS.jpg

ZT1r6Dk.jpg

+
+Smooth as butter, don't know if I could tell the difference between 144hz vs 165hz, but its definitely the smoothest monitor Ive ever used.
+Ultra thin side bezels
+Good stand with pivot
+Gsync
+Decent IPS colors

-
-Too small (needs to be 30-32" IMO)
-Poor to average black levels
-Matte grainy AG screen
-Back light bleed in all 4 corners (unnoticeable on my monitor during most gaming)

Overall this monitor is a keeper(until CES:p) Decent colors and the ultra fast 165hz with Gsync is crazy smooth. The smoothness of this monitor is jaw dropping. If this thing was bigger with a high gloss screen it would be perfection.

(Crossing fingers some [H]er will buy 3 of these for surround while removing the AG coating. That could be a near perfect set up;))

sfabwwlfnpdg.jpg

[...]
Overall this monitor is a keeper
If people find this acceptable at $800, things are never going to get any better.
Display manufacturers are not going to bother with QC at all if people aren't going to return displays like this.

If people find this acceptable at $800, things are never going to get any better.
Display manufacturers are not going to bother with QC at all if people aren't going to return displays like this.

is the photo blowing that out of proportion...it looks like a crap photo and BLB shots in to be in pitch black room.

Whenever i get one I'll make sure to take some pics with my D5200 on my tripod using remote in a black room compared to my 2 other screens for everyone.

? You already have a PG278Q. Are you really going to upgrade to a PG279Q?

I did the same lol. If it turns out to be crap I'll hold out for the 34" monsters with G-SYNC. Just unsure if my monitor arm can hold a 34" behemoth given its close proximity to my U2711.

Still haven't given up on the idea of a side screen to complement PG278Q, but so far all promising monitors have one major problem one way or another, this one included.

Well ok that's fair enough. I've been looking for a 1440p screen to complement my XB270HU as well. I've only tried the BenQ XL2730Z but I simply could not get over the matte coating, especially when it was side by side with the lighter matte Acer :(

Did a uniformity test on my September 2015 pg279q using dispcalGUI and my colormunki Display colorimeter at 26 brightness:

d1UQY5Q.jpg

Newegg said I have 27 days to return/refund it if I choose to.

Mine was similar. The biggest issue with the uniformity is that there's such a huge difference from the top and bottom. If the deviance in color temp was isolated to the corners or something I could live with it.

Last edited:
Mine was similar. The biggest issue with the uniformity is that there's such a huge difference from the top and bottom. If the deviance in color temp was isolated to the corners or something I could live with it.

its odd that this is a common problem where several people have uniformity issues streight across the top...really weird

Did a uniformity test on my September 2015 pg279q using dispcalGUI and my colormunki Display colorimeter at 26 brightness:

d1UQY5Q.jpg

Newegg said I have 27 days to return/refund it if I choose to.

That's how mine is, just not that exaggerated.

I can only see if on a totally white screen and only if I really stare at it for awhile. It does not immediately jump out to me.

It does bother me a bit that an $800 screen isn't closer to perfect...but to me it is overall such a minor blemish that I don't want to deal with shipping a monitor back and play the panel lottery again. If it was more pronounced maybe I'd feel differently.

It does bother me a bit that an $800 screen isn't closer to perfect...but to me it is overall such a minor blemish that I don't want to deal with shipping a monitor back and play the panel lottery again. If it was more pronounced maybe I'd feel differently.

Yup, the majority of the screen's problems are this way, and if you hadn't have read this thread, you wouldn't even be aware of it!

Yup, the majority of the screen's problems are this way, and if you hadn't have read this thread, you wouldn't even be aware of it!

I unfortunately noticed it right away even when web browsing but I am rather picky and also do detail oriented work and editing.

euj15cT.jpg

In contrast, A friend of mine has a September 2015 manufactured pg279q as well, they did not notice it at all until I looked at it, Theirs had the same uniformity issue as mine towards the top 1/3 but a little less pronounced and it was quickly forgotten about after it being pointed out.

Aside from that, what's up with some of the monitors from Newegg?
I also posted this over in the overclockers forum but perhaps someone could chime in here:

I originally thought I had only Asus branded tape over mine and the QC Sticker underneath that but, I just double checked. I believe the box to be likely re-taped with clear tape right over the Asus branded tape with the QC Sticker underneath the clear plain tape and overtop the Asus branded tape:

b9hSGkP.jpg

Is Asus sending re-certified units back to Newegg after they are returned from Newegg or is Newegg just QC Checking sent back units from picky people, re-taping and shipping back out?
( Unless Asus or Newegg added another strip of clear tape for reinforcement? )

Last edited:
Only have had a little bit of time to check it out, but so far so good. Mine had the QC passed sticker on it from Amazon, but it was under the Asus tape.

Has a little glow in the lower right hand corner and is a bit dimmer at the top, but overall it looks great. Very happy with it. I should also say that these issues aren't noticeable unless it's a completely black or white screen.

I received my PG279Q from Amazon today. I ordered on November 2nd.

The screen seems great--at least I haven't noticed any problems with it yet.

However, the menu joystick is messed up. About 50% of my downward presses on the joystick do not register. I have to press down multiple times to navigate down. It's very frustrating. I'm actually training myself to navigate up instead of down and loop around the top because it quicker and more reliable then trying to navigate down.

It's pretty sad this made it through QC because I noticed it the very first time I used the menu.

Has anyone else heard of others having this same problem with theirs?

I am loath to send it back to Amazon because I've been waiting so long for this monitor already and the screen is nice. That said, I do use the menu frequently...

Got mine from newegg. Ordered last week (Tuesday?). Shipped from New Jersey all the way across the continent to sunny California. Box arrived in excellent shape (yay). Original tape/seals. No re-taping. No QC sticker.

Panel is September build. So far I haven't noticed any dead pixels. Some minor blacklight bleed in lower left and upper right that is definitely not IPS glow. It's not the entire corners, just a small blob along edge a little ways away from those corners. Not severe at all and can definitely live with it.

I did notice the difference in brightness on the upper third of the screen. But I doubt I would have seen it if I hadn't been looking for it. It's more apparent at certain color temperatures. But I doubt it will ever bother me enough to return.

My only real Hmmmm moment came in Star Wars Battlefront, Walker Assault on Tatooine, there's a lot of banding/gradients in the sky that I never noticed before. I suspect that's just me noticing it and I'm too lazy to hook back up my old 1920x1200 monitor to see it was there as well. Anyone else notice this?

On a more subjective note. . . WOW! I will never go back to 60Hz again. At 144Hz and G-sync, I immediately noticed an improvement in not only the quality of what I was seeing, but the quality of my play. I'm getting older and can't keep up with the kids as well as I used to in shooters. But whereas my kill:death ratio was maybe 1:3 prior, I immediately starting seeing 1:1 using this monitor. Maybe it's the almost total lack of input lag.

Anyways, there's my report. I'd take photos. . . but you'd see them on your monitor so what would be the point? :p

Got mine from Amazon today, September manufacturing date. It also has a QC sticker over the ASUS branded tape, with clear tape on top. The ASUS tape was broken. It's unlikely both Amazon and Newegg would do that, it's probably ASUS doing another QC before sending them to retailers.

It paid off in my case, this screen is near flawless. No dead pixels and no backlight bleed. I haven't calibrated it yet but ramps look good out of the box.

I can see the same uniformity problem on the upper part of the screen. if I line my eyes up with the top third it's effectively gone. Angling the screen down slightly has the same effect. It's no worse than the uniformity on my Dell U2713HM. To my eyes the usual IPS glow is more distracting. No screen is perfect.

I went through two of the Acer XB270HU before giving up - the yellow bleed, the smudgy dirt spots, dead pixels - this ASUS has none of those problems. Definitely worth the wait.

The more time has gone by, the less I even notice the uniformity issue. I sometimes have to remind my eyes it's there.

I would still absolutely recommend this monitor to anybody.

The more time has gone by, the less I even notice the uniformity issue. I sometimes have to remind my eyes it's there.

Thanks. I am thinking about trying one, but it needs to be from Amazon or Best Buy and it's like winning the lottery just getting an order in while it's in stock.

Agreed. September panel (which some say are more affected) and I don't see it at all anymore. And that's even playing Star Wars Battlefront with those all-white screens.

I'm still slightly concerned about the backlight bleed in one spot. But really, when I'm in proper playing/usage position, it fades into the IPS glow. So I suspect I'm going to let it slide.

Just recieved my new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, but I'm very disappointed by high bleed/glow! :(

This is the rog compared with my other 2 monitors: in order Samsung S32D850, Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, Dell U2415.

5vrhcWF.jpg

In a dark room, the Asus is clearly the worst::

s9MN9vJ.jpg

HlKm9HG.jpg

How I see the Rog in various games and movies:

YxV64q3.jpg

NVfWiVo.jpg

Rb0Fa9Z.jpg

SUYupBt.jpg

Zae4j4J.jpg

FhYrw0i.jpg

Damn, I must have gotten lucky because mine is not like that at all. That looks pretty bad :/

I'm surprised how small it looks compared to the 24", I realize the aspect ratio is different but it looks basically the same size.

Just recieved my new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, but I'm very disappointed by high bleed/glow! :(

This is the rog compared with my other 2 monitors: in order Samsung S32D850, Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, Dell U2415.

In a dark room, the Asus is clearly the worst.

IMHO, your camera is making it look much worse than it actually is. The Samsung is a VA and the Dell is a much smaller IPS, so it's not really a fair test. Also, I don't know many people who play or watch movies in a completely dark room. Some bias lighting behind the monitor helps in this situation, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053B347M

With that said, I think you got a lemon and you should send it back. :)

I'm surprised how small it looks compared to the 24", I realize the aspect ratio is different but it looks basically the same size.

Correct, the U2415 is 16/10 aspect ratio... vertical size is almost the same to the 27'' 16/9

IMHO, your camera is making it look much worse than it actually is. The Samsung is a VA and the Dell is a much smaller IPS, so it's not really a fair test. Also, I don't know many people who play or watch movies in a completely dark room. Some bias lighting behind the monitor helps in this situation, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053B347M

With that said, I think you got a lemon and you should send it back. :)

The defect may be a little enhanced by the photo, but my eyes see the same.

All three monitors has been calibrated to 120cdmq with X-Rite colorimeter.
I also tested a Dell U2715h so long in my workplace, and it's much better than this Asus.

Back