ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Quality determined how exactly? Cables included with Asus and Dell monitors didn't work, neither did a cable from a premium brand costing $20, but yet a no name $4 cable works without issue. I am not seeing any correlation with quality here.

Quality determined how exactly? Cables included with Asus and Dell monitors didn't work, neither did a cable from a premium brand costing $20, but yet a no name $4 cable works without issue. I am not seeing any correlation with quality here.

i know quality affects things in many aspect but maybe your issue is not quality but I have seen quality be an issue in certain cases.

This is starting to get disheartening with Newegg getting repeated shipments in. WTF Amazon...

It's typical. I prefer to use Amazon myself but they tend to be like this when it comes to computer hardware.

Here's a few more pics (white/black BG and a game running)

TbAb.png

What game is that?

Mine has two dead pixels.

I am guessing I should get an RMA through Newegg. I imagine they want this one back before sending the replacement. Does anyone have experience with this? They don't look to have any more in stock at the moment. Should I hold on to it for now, and just order another when they are back in stock, and then return this one?

I am guessing I should get an RMA through Newegg. I imagine they want this one back before sending the replacement. Does anyone have experience with this? They don't look to have any more in stock at the moment. Should I hold on to it for now, and just order another when they are back in stock, and then return this one?

RMA it now. If I remember, their policy is 8 dead pixels, so make sure they know it's at least 8!

Am I without a monitor until they get the one I have back and then have more in stock again?

I don't know, I'd assume they have an advanced return policy like Amazon where they send the replacement first.

I contacted them. Their response in case anyone else wants to know: Replacement will be shipped after the original item is shipped back and RMA is processed.

only 2 dead pixels? is that the only thing wrong with it? Are they even that noticeable? Do you really want to chance getting a worse panel?

Just saying....it seems odd to send a good panel back with only 2 dead pixels.

only 2 dead pixels? is that the only thing wrong with it? Are they even that noticeable? Do you really want to chance getting a worse panel?

If he saw them then clearly they are "noticeable". And no way in hell I would put up with dead pixels on a brand new monitor especially on a fairly expensive one.

If he saw them then clearly they are "noticeable". And no way in hell I would put up with dead pixels on a brand new monitor especially on a fairly expensive one.

2 pixels....maybe this is a lot lower res then my 4K but I would be hard press to notice them. Stuck oh hell yea get rid of that bitch but dead? They must be like center screen or somewhere really bad

2 pixels....maybe this is a lot lower res then my 4K but I would be hard press to notice them. Stuck oh hell yea get rid of that bitch but dead? They must be like center screen or somewhere really bad

I noticed them having white windows explorer windows open. One is a faint black dot. The second area is larger, so it must be a cluster of dead pixels next to each other.

There could be more. I haven't looked deeply at every square inch of the screen.

I noticed them having white windows explorer windows open. One is a faint black dot. The second area is larger, so it must be a cluster of dead pixels next to each other.

There could be more. I haven't looked deeply at every square inch of the screen.

yea that aint 2 dead pixels :D. RMA

yea that aint 2 dead pixels :D. RMA

Crisis averted. I took zoomed in photos of the second spot to see how many pixels it was. It did non completely fill the square pixel spaces in the grid. Neither did the second. They turned out to be black dust on the outside of the screen.

I feel dumb. :eek:

Crisis averted. I took zoomed in photos of the second spot to see how many pixels it was. It did non completely fill the square pixel spaces in the grid. Neither did the second. They turned out to be black dust on the outside of the screen.

lol

At least that's one RMA adventure saved. Never underestimate the power of the cleaning cloth!

At least that's one RMA adventure saved. Never underestimate the power of the cleaning cloth!

Yea I always use my spray and micro fiber cloth on any spot first to see if it is an AG coating issue, dirt, scratch or whatever. So far I never have had to do anything but I have always bought Dells and every one was 100% spotless.

I contacted them. Their response in case anyone else wants to know: Replacement will be shipped after the original item is shipped back and RMA is processed.

Well, that's a load of shit. Sorry man. I was considering ordering from Newegg since Amazon still doesn't have it, not anymore.

On the bright side, Amazon gave me free next day shipping since I've waited so long! It was $12 even with Prime. Those of you with Amazon orders in, use the chat and get yours upgraded!

TppQOhI.jpg

CaaRFmT.jpg

Got mine yesterday. Replaced an Acer XB270HU that had to be sent back after a week of use for really bad BLB and dead/stuck pixels.

So far, so good. Some minor BLB in the upper right hand side but very minor. No dead/stuck pixels, phew. I'm not noticing the yellow tint that some users had reported, BUT I do notice that the upper 10% of the panel is ever so slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen. It is super subtle and not noticeable unless it's an all white screen. The only reason I even noticed it is because I was scrutinizing every square inch of the screen to look for that yellow tint and instead found that.

Seems like even TFTcentral commented on it in their review: "The luminance uniformity of the screen was moderate. The screen was darker along the top edge for some reason, where luminance dropped down by 29% to 93 cd/m2 in the most extreme cases. The central and lower areas of the screen were more uniform though, and overall 63% of the screen was within a 10% deviance of the centrally calibrated point." - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...ift_pg279q.htm

Overall still very happy with the monitor. The above issue is so faint and it's also on a completely white background that one may not even notice it. During gaming and regular usage it's not seen AT ALL. You would hope a $800 screen would be perfect, but I suppose not.

Last edited:
Got mine yesterday. Replaced an Acer XB270HU that had to be sent back after a week of use for really bad BLB and dead/stuck pixels.

So far, so good. Some minor BLB in the upper right hand side but very minor. No dead/stuck pixels, phew. I'm not noticing the yellow tint that some users had reported, BUT I do notice that the upper 10% of the panel is ever so slightly dimmer than the rest of the screen. It is super subtle and not noticeable unless it's an all white screen. The only reason I even noticed it is because I was scrutinizing every square inch of the screen to look for that yellow tint and instead found that.

Seems like even TFTcentral commented on it in their review: "The luminance uniformity of the screen was moderate. The screen was darker along the top edge for some reason, where luminance dropped down by 29% to 93 cd/m2 in the most extreme cases. The central and lower areas of the screen were more uniform though, and overall 63% of the screen was within a 10% deviance of the centrally calibrated point." - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...ift_pg279q.htm

Overall still very happy with the monitor. The above issue is so faint and it's also on a completely white background that one may not even notice it. During gaming and regular usage it's not seen AT ALL. You would hope a $800 screen would be perfect, but I suppose not.

Congrats on getting a good one! :)

Re: the luminance levels, yeah seems like every unit has this issue. Hexus review mentioned it too. But like you said it's so minor I doubt some people even notice.

Btw, I think the yellow tint on mine was a combination of the factory color temperature being overly warm and the luminance issue. After comparing my calibrated settings to default, the whole screen actually had a tint, it's just those dimmer areas of the screen made it more noticeable.

So think it just comes down to factory calibration variances, for those that have a tint changing the RGB controls should fix it.

Amazon orders placed on Nov 1 were shipped yesterday. Fingers crossed mine goes out tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully tonight!

I have one awaiting my purchase, but all these problems make me think I should cancel and hold off a few months :/

I have one awaiting my purchase, but all these problems make me think I should cancel and hold off a few months :/

What do you mean awaiting your purchase? The first run (sept/oct) manufacture dates are apparently the ones with issues.

What do you mean awaiting your purchase? The first run (sept/oct) manufacture dates are apparently the ones with issues.

Don't think the issues are specific to a certain batch, seems to just be luck of the draw. Anyway, will be interesting if the Amazon orders are from a newer batch. Haven't seen any November units pop up yet.

My next monitor. =)

Tried a Dell 21:9 3440-x1440. Just couldn't justify the expense and sent it back even though I liked it quite a bit.

The news of this monitor makes me happy I did so.
Just ordered from newegg. Looks like my prediction above proved accurate.

I think I'll refrain from reading the whole thread since that will just make me go looking for problems I might otherwise not notice.

Here's hoping I get a good one!

Do you (or anyone else) see any blue discoloration on the lower right hand side (noticeable in Explorer, or on a light gray or blue picture)? I'm trying to decide whether what I'm seeing is "normal" or not. I'm willing to live with it if it's a common problem with this panel, as I don't notice it in normal use.

Do you (or anyone else) see any blue discoloration on the lower right hand side (noticeable in Explorer, or on a light gray or blue picture)? I'm trying to decide whether what I'm seeing is "normal" or not. I'm willing to live with it if it's a common problem with this panel, as I don't notice it in normal use.

I haven't heard of anyone complaining of that. I have seen a little bit of glow on a black screen, but I think that's in a totally dark room and coming from the power LED. (Or I may be wrong, could be another monitor I'm thinking of)

I haven't heard of anyone complaining of that. I have seen a little bit of glow on a black screen, but I think that's in a totally dark room and coming from the power LED. (Or I may be wrong, could be another monitor I'm thinking of)

My Dell gets that pretty bad. I wish u could turn off the power led

Checked...and nope. Calibration issue?

Checked...and nope. Calibration issue?

yea rule number one. Check settings first before assuming bad panel.

1. Check GPU settings to make sure HDMI/TV color settings are not present and full color gamut is being used.
2. Calibrate
3. if still issues try different cables

I am sure i am missing a couple things to check before RMA/resturn.

I have gotten some wonky issues over the years from yellow to blue to other weird tints and issue and they have never been a bad screen. People freak too fast on a bad screen without trouble shooting first. Plenty of settings that can mess things up for no reason.

Back