ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Sorry I got 2 sections combined on accident but still 165hz still was worse then 144 hz

I got it confused thinking Extreme OD was 165 hz but still 165hz is generally pointless especially considering ULMB or G-Sync. G-Sync is only good upto 144 hz IIRC. So there is no reason for 165 hz since it supports neither feature.

Was thinking Extreme OD was the 165 hz

I run 165hz with g-sync. Disregarding blur, at the desktop 165hz is a lot smoother than 120hz.
However, if I can keep 120+fps in a game, ULMB is to prefer either way, so yeah, it's pretty useless.

NVIDIA doesn't dither though.

this is really bugging the absolute shit out of me now. i'm seeing banding everywhere, but the color looks so bad at default gamma. is there any way to change the gamma without incurring banding?

this is really bugging the absolute shit out of me now. i'm seeing banding everywhere, but the color looks so bad at default gamma. is there any way to change the gamma without incurring banding?

Dithering. :D

i did some googling and I kinda forgot what dithering was but isn't that when you take a 6 bit panel and make it 8 bit or whatever? or is that afrac (ap?)

It has been so long since i read and knew all the nitty gritties on panels (was when I first shopped for my U2412m's like 4 years ago)

I suspect TFT Central is more in depth and accurate on this issue otherwise we are looking at panel roulette. TFT said they had a gamma issue... Linus never made mention of it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

See if they mention any gamma correcting options in here that might help.

I suspect 165Hz is going to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd be interested to see comparisons from users on it vs the likely more stable and reliable 144Hz and 120Hz. I'd also be interested to see if that factors in to what Odellus is seeing.

zqa5aww.jpg

crossing fingers for a good panel...

NCIX got some in. Just picked one up, I'll examine it this evening. Hoping to not have to exchange/return it due to issues like so many that have come before it :)

i did some googling and I kinda forgot what dithering was but isn't that when you take a 6 bit panel and make it 8 bit or whatever? or is that afrac (ap?)
It has been so long since i read and knew all the nitty gritties on panels (was when I first shopped for my U2412m's like 4 years ago)
Dither adds noise to eliminate banding.
Note: error diffusion used in those examples does not completely eliminate banding, but it is probably the lowest noise option for dithering.
FRC is one form of dither that is commonly used in displays.

It's what NCIX normally does. Both USD/CAD pricing is the same despite the exchange disparity. PP pricing dropped once stock arrived. Regular prices will normalize over time but it will never be a wise choice on the US side.

Got mine today -

165 Hz feels slightly smoother to me over 144. Amazing how this makes 60 Hz almost feel sluggish if you compare side by side.

Out of box calibration is pretty good, compared to my UM95. Default brightness settings were very high, I dialed it back down to 25.

There is slight yellow tint near the top left corner on mine. Dunno if this is common or not. I don't notice it at all during gaming but for example, when scrolling on a white BG in your browser you might notice it.

I have an i1 Display Pro colorimeter so I'm going to see if calibrating the display fixes this, seems like the color temperature is not uniform. I don't think it's a big issue unless you are doing color work on this monitor - most would probably not notice this.

No stuck/dead pixels and very minor BLB. There of course is IPS glow but it's no worse than other panels I've seen.

So far seems like a keeper to me.

LaAb.png

Here's a few more pics (white/black BG and a game running)

TbAb.png

PbAb.png

RbAb.png

Last edited:
I use this page http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

Click through each of the colors and put your browser in full screen.

I just make pictures in paint and open them full screen but that works too :D

27in 4K screen was a pain to test...pixels are so damn tiny. Don't want to know how the 24in one would be.

FYI dead pixels are a million times better to have then stuck pixels especially at high res. On 4K screens you may not even notice a dead pixel.

Issues experienced with mine

1) 1 mote of dust in the 9th quadrant, vertical, about 3 pixels long. Not an obvious spot, but not pleasing regardless.

2) Yellow tinting - Quadrants 1, 2, 3, 4 - quite apparent. Primarily along the upper halves of these quadrants. Whites are a distinct shade of yellow.

3) Monitor does not always discover/recognize the Displayport connection to my 980. This can be from a cold boot, or waking from sleep. Could just be a faulty cable, will investigate further.

Notes

-Installed the PG279Q driver from Asus website, and did an clean install Nvidia install of drivers 358.91.
-Monitor comes fully assembled in box (stand is screwed into monitor).
-Joystick feature is incredibly handy for navigating the OSD

Newegg has it in stock right now. I got sick of waiting for months and pulled the trigger on this one. I hope i will have no issues... Good thing is right now it's still under standard return policy so i can get refund back in case it doesn't work out.

I grabbed one from Newegg just now as well. Wishing us both good luck for problem-free monitors! ;)

x3sphere: Any gamma issues or observations?

No gamma issues.

Mine measured at 2.2 out of the box

Calibrated it and got an average dE of 0.37 at 110 cd/m2. 1084:1 contrast ratio

2) Yellow tinting - Quadrants 1, 2, 3, 4 - quite apparent. Primarily along the upper halves of these quadrants. Whites are a distinct shade of yellow.

Same - though after I calibrated it the tint was gone. Now those areas are just a tad darker

No gamma issues.

Mine measured at 2.2 out of the box

Calibrated it and got an average dE of 0.37 at 110 cd/m2. 1084:1 contrast ratio

Same - though after I calibrated it the tint was gone. Now those areas are just a tad darker

Yea usually yellow can go away after calibration. I usually notice on new monitors yellow tint on hdmi. Blue tint on vga and sometimes yellow on dp. Always fixed after adjusting

Newegg has it in stock right now. I got sick of waiting for months and pulled the trigger on this one. I hope i will have no issues... Good thing is right now it's still under standard return policy so i can get refund back in case it doesn't work out.

Out of stock again... :(

This is starting to get disheartening with Newegg getting repeated shipments in. WTF Amazon...

Didn't Asus say there would be no stock issues at launch? Ha...

Just got this delivered from Newegg :)

The manufacture date is September 2015.

The monitor has no dead pixels which is great but there is one problematic backlight bleed area and there is yellow glow. I have attached the picture with the markers
The backlight bleed is not visible during bright gaming, I hardly play any dark games usually the COD/Battlefield type games.. they are hardly in the dark. So I am not sure what to do at this stage (send it back or keep it.

500x1000px-LL-332065cf_IMG_20151114_2034131.jpeg

This is starting to get disheartening with Newegg getting repeated shipments in. WTF Amazon...

Didn't Asus say there would be no stock issues at launch? Ha...

Last edited:
Just got this delivered from Newegg :)
The manufacture date is September 2015.

The monitor has no dead pixels which is great but there is one problematic backlight bleed area and there is yellow glow. I have attached the picture with the markers
The backlight bleed is not visible during bright gaming, I hardly play any dark games usually the COD/Battlefield type games.. they are hardly in the dark. So I am not sure what to do at this stage (send it back or keep it.

That one I'd get replaced... You could try getting that out, I think someone mentioned a way to try in this thread. Brightness all the way up with something displayed. If that doesn't work... Eh.. I wouldn't be happy with that.

Hopefully (and it seems that way here), that's the minority.

I returned mine. The yellow tint can be masked somewhat by calibration but it will always be present. Mine was present in 4 quadrants and was quite significant. Depending on severity you'd either have to live with it or get a replacement.

Brightness at max while displaying content will heat up the monitor (increased power consumption), which may cause the panel to expand and later contract when it cools. Over time this could loosen it a bit and thus relieve some bleed.

I returned mine. The yellow tint can be masked somewhat by calibration but it will always be present. Mine was present in 4 quadrants and was quite significant. Depending on severity you'd either have to live with it or get a replacement.

Brightness at max while displaying content will heat up the monitor (increased power consumption), which may cause the panel to expand and later contract when it cools. Over time this could loosen it a bit and thus relieve some bleed.

how did you calibrate it? Did u try different cables? What cable did you use? If you use HDMI sometimes GPUs set it as a TV and use TV color settings or something. I forget. That happened on y computer once and I had to go into computer settings and set it to computer color settings.

Google around for that issue if your not familiar. Sometimes GPUs are retarded like that and give you a limited color gamut or something. I forget what exactly its called but it should be easy enough to google about. Like Display yellow on HDMI or soemthing

3) Monitor does not always discover/recognize the Displayport connection to my 980. This can be from a cold boot, or waking from sleep. Could just be a faulty cable, will investigate further.
This is apparently inherent to the nvidia maxwell cards, not the monitor. There's lots of complaints about displayport issues like this with other monitors, too.

how did you calibrate it? Did u try different cables? What cable did you use? If you use HDMI sometimes GPUs set it as a TV and use TV color settings or something. I forget. That happened on y computer once and I had to go into computer settings and set it to computer color settings.

Google around for that issue if your not familiar. Sometimes GPUs are retarded like that and give you a limited color gamut or something. I forget what exactly its called but it should be easy enough to google about. Like Display yellow on HDMI or soemthing

I used displayport. No point using HDMI on this display as you'd be limited to 60hz. Perhaps as a backup or for console gaming. I do know of the issue you are mentioning though, a colleague at work had that exact issue in the past and we discussed it at length.

Color system settings (color management) was set correctly. It was just an unfortunate panel, no way around it. I will likely try to acquire another in the future, possibly used so I know it's exact state. :)

This is apparently inherent to the nvidia maxwell cards, not the monitor. There's lots of complaints about displayport issues like this with other monitors, too.

Interesting, I did not know about this. I don't recall it happening with the XB270HU I previously had, but that could have just been chance. Thanks for sharing.

Dell has a lot of issues with their monitors with not turning on and where you have to disconnect the power cord for it to turn back on. My 4K is plagued by it but I don't run into the issue much personally but that might be because I always leave my stuff on.

It appears in the last 5 years with various standards being half assed and making glitches in various products and each manufacture has their own quarks.

I had the exact same issues using DP on both my 580 and 980, certain cables would simply not initialise the DP signal to the monitor. Swap in some other brand of the exact same length and suddenly it works. I've heard similar stories from other people that all point to DP just being a very temperamental connection.

I had the exact same issues using DP on both my 580 and 980, certain cables would simply not initialise the DP signal to the monitor. Swap in some other brand of the exact same length and suddenly it works. I've heard similar stories from other people that all point to DP just being a very temperamental connection.

I don't know if this applies to this screen but with 4K screens you need like sub 10 or sub 6 feet cables.

My screen is 3440x1440, but like I said I am talking about different cables of the same length. It is not obvious why one would work but not another.

Back