ASUS PG279Q 144hz 1440P IPS G-Sync

Considering this monitor costs ~$800 (MSRP?) and an A+ calibrated with perfect convergence FW900 costs $1000, I'd say no we have not come a long way from CRTs at all.

For $200 more (the price of a G-Sync module), I get a monitor that has superb color and contrast levels, response time, excellent motion clarity, and no risk of dead pixels with 0 scaling issues since every resolution is native. 15 years old and it's still relevant.

If space and weight weren't an issue, I would've brought my FW900 with me. All of the monitors we're buying now are merely stopgaps until OLED monitors (that hopefully use BFI or FI to combat sample-and-hold flaws) join the fray, then we wouldn't need ULMB as much and stick with VRR.

I appreciate a good CRT. They're most definitely superior for gaming and watching videos. But that trade-off just isn't worthwhile for me since LCDs are far better for desktop work. I need a big, high-resolution display with sharp text and doesn't generate a ton of heat.

Digging the 165hz but sad to hear it's overclock instead of native (not that I know if that makes any sort of real difference).

Anyhow, tempting, but no gloss = no want. Unless it comes down drastically in price.

Digging the 165hz but sad to hear it's overclock instead of native (not that I know if that makes any sort of real difference).

Anyhow, tempting, but no gloss = no want. Unless it comes down drastically in price.

Seems like glossy in general is pretty hard to come by.

does a glossy 144hz ips even exist?

Nope, and most likely never will exist. At least not from big brand names like Asus, BenQ, etc... I love glossy displays as much as the next guy but sometimes we just gotta take what we can get.

Nope apparently in minds of marketoids in companies around the world gaming display needs to be used on lan parties so they can only be matte or in best case semi matte :mad:

It's just an advertising bullet point. Reviews show that the monitor is more responsive at the "slower" 144 Hz refresh rate, anyway.

Anyone know the release date on this? My PG278Q is literally about to die, like within the next few days (hopefully it can last a week). I was planning on getting the PG279Q and putting my PG278Q on a secondary PC. Hoping the PG279Q is released before this thing dies so I have the new one while I RMA the old model. I checked with my local Frys and they said they probably won't be in stock for a few weeks, even though I managed to get the PG278Q a few days before release there.

Anyone know the release date on this? My PG278Q is literally about to die, like within the next few days (hopefully it can last a week). I was planning on getting the PG279Q and putting my PG278Q on a secondary PC. Hoping the PG279Q is released before this thing dies so I have the new one while I RMA the old model. I checked with my local Frys and they said they probably won't be in stock for a few weeks, even though I managed to get the PG278Q a few days before release there.

My understanding is next week (Nov 1).

My first ever LCD monitor cost be a $1000 and had a glossy display. Big fan of glossy, although I don't blame the manufactures for not using them. Most people outside of our niche circles prefer matte(not the heavy or grainy kind).

i just got a PG278Q and i'm really enjoying it but this grainy ass coating is making bright scenes look like ass. i don't understand why companies have to ruin their screens like this. no one is using any of these gaming monitors in environments where this level of AG is necessary. i can understand it on some generic office monitor where there's going to be tens or hundreds of bright lights but not something that's going to most likely be in a controlled environment with the lights off the majority of the time. and according to tftcentral's review, the PG279Q doesn't have a semi-glossy coating like my QNIX which still has visible graininess on light colors, so it's still shitty. i just don't get it.

this is getting a wee bit off topic but i'm really hoping the new dell coming out has a lighter AG coating. i'll be able to return my PG278Q for free to b&h at about the same time it releases and grab the dell for $40 less around black friday.

Last edited:
i just got a PG278Q and i'm really enjoying it but this grainy ass coating is making bright scenes look like ass. i don't understand why companies have to ruin their screens like this. no one is using any of these gaming monitors in environments where this level of AG is necessary. i can understand it on some generic office monitor where there's going to be tens or hundreds of bright lights but not something that's going to most likely be in a controlled environment with the lights off the majority of the time. and according to tftcentral's review, the PG279Q doesn't have a semi-glossy coating like my QNIX which still has visible graininess on light colors, so it's still shitty. i just don't get it.

this is getting a wee bit off topic but i'm really hoping the new dell coming out has a lighter AG coating. i'll be able to return my PG278Q for free to b&h at about the same time it releases and grab the dell for $40 less around black friday.

The Dell is a TN panel.

Like others have said; I haven't come across anything. Will be a sad day if my Samsung dies before any company releases some sort of >120Hz Glossy.

It's just an advertising bullet point. Reviews show that the monitor is more responsive at the "slower" 144 Hz refresh rate, anyway.

Did not know that. Could you link or point me to these reviews?

Like others have said; I haven't come across anything. Will be a sad day if my Samsung dies before any company releases some sort of >120Hz Glossy.

Did not know that. Could you link or point me to these reviews?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm#overclocking

tftcentral reports it having higher response time at 165hz than 144hz. They also said it was more of a gimmic.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...27-IPS-G-Sync-Monitor-Review/Testing-165Hz-Ga

pcper reported the same response time but also said it felt better at 165hz.

Either way it's a high refresh rate monitor so the experience will be good at 120, 144, or 165.

My HTPC backend computer's 17" LED died. I had to go out and buy a new monitor yesterday. My plan was that this monitor was going to replace mine, my wife would get the one I'm currently using, and her's would replace the HTPC monitor. Now I'll have an extra monitor. <sigh>

[
pcper reported the same response time but also said it felt better at 165hz.

Either way it's a high refresh rate monitor so the experience will be good at 120, 144, or 165.

Jeremy and Ryan (PC Per) were gushing about this monitor, saying the 144->165hz felt like "real life" "looking through a window smooth" so hoping there is a noticeable difference in speed/smoothness

Those PC Per guys are weird doods =) That red head guy should take a break from gaming.

All of the panels in these 1440p 144hz displays have been produced by the same manufacturer. If Samsung decides to make a similar panel we could get it in semi gloss or if we wish hard enough full gloss :p

Coating is put on during panel fab before asus, acer, or benq even get ahold of it.

Jeremy and Ryan (PC Per) were gushing about this monitor, saying the 144->165hz felt like "real life" "looking through a window smooth" so hoping there is a noticeable difference in speed/smoothness

I'd say thats placebo effect - such a small difference should be almost impossible to notice with bare eye.

Is amazon a good place to buy these? There seem to be QC issues from what I've gathered from the thread on overclockers, anyone have experience replacing displays with dead pixels and whatnot that they bought an amazon?

There is a microcenter by me and they have PG278Qs, so I'm wondering if I'll be better off waiting until they get the 279s in stock instead.

Is amazon a good place to buy these? There seem to be QC issues from what I've gathered from the thread on overclockers, anyone have experience replacing displays with dead pixels and whatnot that they bought an amazon?

There is a microcenter by me and they have PG278Qs, so I'm wondering if I'll be better off waiting until they get the 279s in stock instead.

My past dealings with Amazon have been great. If you look at the other monitors, there are several 'used' ones, so they have been replacing them.

I replaced two XB270HU's and got one refund from Amazon no issues at all. I just filled out the replace/refund form online, submitted, printed my return shipping label, and shipped them back. Should also note that I have Prime, but not sure if that effects any kind of flagging mechanism Amazon has in place for customers who make a lot of returns.

Available for order at Amazon, out of stock right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EVR2VM

I have no idea how you found this but thanks. I ordered one 5 minutes after you posted it with next day shipping. I figure Amazon is probably the safest place to order one from. If I'm not mistaken, Newegg has some crazy policy where there needs to be 8 dead pixels for it to be considered defective and they will charge a restocking fee if its not. I was seriously considering ordering a S2716DG from Newegg but there aren't enough reviews yet for me to make a decision. I would put up with the TN if the QC on it was good and I knew I was getting a good one. If it ended up being a turd and I had to pay a restocking fee I would have been very upset.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no idea how you found this but thanks. I ordered one 5 minutes after you posted it with next day shipping. I figure Amazon is probably the safest place to order one from. If I'm not mistaken, Newegg has some crazy policy where there needs to be 8 dead pixels for it to be considered defective and they will charge a restocking fee if its not. I was seriously considering ordering a S2716DG from Newegg but there aren't enough reviews yet for me to make a decision. I would put up with the TN if the QC on it was good and I knew I was getting a good one. If it ended up being a turd and I had to pay a restocking fee I would have been very upset.

I was going to do next day, but I have no idea when it's going to ship...

An article somewhere said "the first week of November" so I would expect sometime soon. I'll pay the $11 to get it asap just because I'm impatient. I'm not overly concerned about when it ships to be honest. If I see more good reviews of the Dell I may just cancel it and order one of those from Newegg. If it doesn't ship by the middle of next week I may just cancel it and order the Dell anyway. With all of the QC issues I've read about I'm pretty much expecting a turd. I figure I'd just play the lottery like everyone else just in case.

An article somewhere said "the first week of November" so I would expect sometime soon. I'll pay the $11 to get it asap just because I'm impatient. I'm not overly concerned about when it ships to be honest. If I see more good reviews of the Dell I may just cancel it and order one of those from Newegg. If it doesn't ship by the middle of next week I may just cancel it and order the Dell anyway. With all of the QC issues I've read about I'm pretty much expecting a turd. I figure I'd just play the lottery like everyone else just in case.

But the Dell is a TN panel, I'd have gotten it otherwise. My Dell panels have been flawless and the one that did get replaced for different colors was done overnight. I'll keep exchanging this one until it's perfect, especially for this much money.

Trust me, I'd prefer a IPS over a TN. If the Asus monitors were all coming perfect I wouldn't even glace at the Dell. There are two reasons I'm considering the Dell. One is I'm impatient. I ordered everything for my new rig late September and I had to wait a month for the case. The monitor is technically the last piece. If it turns out that they aren't going to ship until the end of the month I don't know if I'll be able to hold off that long. Waiting a month for the case was torture enough.

The second reason is the quality control issue. If I know I can order a Dell and have it be perfect 99% of the time then I'll settle for a TN rather than having to deal with returning monitor after monitor. Of course there is a chance that I'll get the Asus and it will be good on my first attempt which is why I ordered one, but honestly I'm not counting on it.

So, let's say you order the PG279Q from Amazon and get a defective one. You're better off returning it to Amazon than to RMA the monitor?

When you order a monitor from Amazon for some weird reason they box it up in another box. The problem is it has one piece of Brown craft paper just bundled up on one side with lots of space in the box yet.

They should use smaller boxes for monitor with less air space but I read the people who work there might be limited on what they can do.

Amazon is about as good as it gets for a retail situation. I'll likely place my order for this in the near future.

Only if you are hitting that kind of frame rate with your game settings vs gpu power.

100fps-hz/120fps-hz/144fps-hz/165fps-hz:
~40/50/60%/ blur reduction
5:3/2:1/2.4:1 increase in motion definition and path articulation
g-sync rides the fps graph +/- without screen aberrations.

So compared to 144fps-hz, 165fps-hz
could potentially improve from 60% to closer to 70% blur reduction
(vs sample and hold blur assuming response time and rtc can handle it),
and from 2.4:1 to 2.75:1 increase in motion definition and path articulation
(of both individual objects and of the entire viewport/game-world moving in 1st/3rd person games).
Another benefit might be not having to lock/cap some of your games to below 144fps to avoid added response time when going over 144fps-hz using g-sync.
165hz might give you some overage breathing room on some games.

165hz is important but only as long as you can hit that kind of frame rate on particular games and graphics settings.

Theoretically it should push toward 70% blur reduction and 3:1 motion definition increase (vs 60fps-hz).
2.75:1 vs 60fps-hzto be more precise.
To make it a round number,
for every 8 frames of motion articulation shown at 60fps-hz, a 165hz monitor at 165fps-hz would theoretically show 22 frames.
At 144hz-fps, it would be 12 frames potentially shown for every 5 frames of 60fps-hz, 19.2 for every 8, 24 for every 10, etc.

With g-sync,
100fps-hz would attempt to transmit a new scene update every 10ms.
120fps-hz would attempt to transmit a new scene update every 8.3ms
144fps-hz would attempt to transmit a new scene update every 6.94ms
165fps-hz would attempt to transmit a new scene update every 6.06ms

Personally I keep my gpu power vs game settings tweaked so that I get a common playing frame rate of 100fps-hz or greater. Usually 100+ utilizing g-sync to ride higher and lower on the "frame rate graph" throughout the game . Combining fairly high fps-hz like that is indeed glorious imo, even though I have to turn some settings down to custom "very high+" settings, or down to very high rather than ultra, on demanding games. The trade-off is well worth it. 4k and ultra settings makes for pretty still shot wall art but you don't play a screenshot.

Regardless of the monitor's hz, lower frame rates will be blurrier.
If you are using variable hz at 1440p to run low (sub 75fps-hz to 90fps-hz mode/most of the time in game, really should be like 100 at least imo), you are essentially running a low hz, low motion definition and motion articulation, smearing blur monitor and missing out on most of the gaming advancements these monitors provide outside of the judder/tearing/stops avoidance. For most people a dynamic hz 1080p gaming monitor would be a lot better for their gpu budgets.

Last edited:
i don't understand why he keeps saying the high default gamma is a problem. there are so many easy ways to fix gamma through software. if there were some horrible default color accuracy problems now that would actually be an issue because you can't do shit about it in a lot of games. not to mention default gamma varies from panel to panel, for instance tftcentral's sample was only 4% off of 2.2.

[...]there are so many easy ways to fix gamma through software.
Not with an NVIDIA GPU and an 8-bit panel. Any adjustments you make to the LUT will add banding.
Full-screen games will typically reset the LUT as well, losing your calibration.

Back