ASUS PB287Q 28" 4k TN Panel

Moogoos

Limp Gawd
Anyone get one of these yet? I just got one today and stuck it between 2 DELL U2713HM. It's a nice panel. Bezel is good. 4k is so damn small it made me realize I really have to start wearing glasses. No dead pixels. Good screen. Gonna World of Tanks later on 4k and see how it works. A little under the weather so we'll see. Curious what other's think about this monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGY3TO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TifyRoeDPTNrptrc_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

50LQONuRNS7WcbSm_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

IVYwIhplfySBKu13_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would but it's a TN. I tried my friend's VG248QE and got immediately disgusted with the colours. Pushing 3600x1920 is no easy task and the jump to 4k would require a 3rd 290x for me. I'd wait for a good 4k IPS panel and going for this

I would but it's a TN. I tried my friend's VG248QE and got immediately disgusted with the colours. Pushing 3600x1920 is no easy task and the jump to 4k would require a 3rd 290x for me. I'd wait for a good 4k IPS panel and going for this

it doesn't work like that. there are good tns and shit tns, which the vg248qe is the latter.

it doesn't work like that. there are good tns and shit tns, which the vg248qe is the latter.

I guess I'm spoiled by using IPS for using them so long. I would take image quality over fast refresh rate any day. So colours and viewing angles are important factors to me.

I guess I'm spoiled by using IPS for using them so long. I would take image quality over fast refresh rate any day. So colours and viewing angles are important factors to me.

That is true if you just have a static image, but if you're actually playing a game and moving your view around the pixels don't transition fast enough to even see the correct color by the time you're onto another color in the next frame. What is the point of having a good viewing angle if you're only viewing the garbage during pixel transitions? When I play games I don't just sit and watch the screen. I'm actively moving the view around when I play games.

I played some WoT last night and also checked some every day type stuff more in depth. I found the edges to be pretty washed out, meaning a lot brighter. The text at the top of the pages was also darker than the bottom text of web sites, like it became lighter. Very odd. I did a side by side with the 4k screen @ 1440p using DP and the Dell using DVI-D and the Dell was consistent up and down and in WoT. I think I'm going to return this monitor. To be honest, I found 4k to be too darn small as well. 1440p is a sweet spot for me. Maybe i'm just getting old.

4K is not too small per se. It's too small on normal sized displays (like this). Pitty that only displays with adequate size increase for now are 4K TVs, with 4K monitors limited to 32".

I played some WoT last night and also checked some every day type stuff more in depth. I found the edges to be pretty washed out, meaning a lot brighter. The text at the top of the pages was also darker than the bottom text of web sites, like it became lighter. Very odd. I did a side by side with the 4k screen @ 1440p using DP and the Dell using DVI-D and the Dell was consistent up and down and in WoT. I think I'm going to return this monitor. To be honest, I found 4k to be too darn small as well. 1440p is a sweet spot for me. Maybe i'm just getting old.

what you're describing isn't odd, it's to be expected with a screen that large using a tn panel. of course your ips dell is going to be consistent.

what we need is a high quality, universal high-dpi mode. too many programs either don't scale properly (if at all) or have too low resolution assets. 4k is still relatively new, so hopefully in the near future we'll see better and better support for high pixel density screens.

Last edited:

I bet you would really like the 120hz catleap. Less blur is good for us old folks. The only thing I don't like about dvi 120hz is that it actually causes the card with the output to get a wee but hotter than normal. Maybe 3-5C. Since you're going water this is more or less irrelevant. That or the swift next month. I can't see any other recommendable options.

WoT is awful on this screen because it has zero UI scaling (even 1440p looks bad with tiny icons and text). I had no inconsistency on my screen at all, it looked really good but WoT was a dealbreaker for me as its about all I play these days.

Back