Asus PB278Q Review 2014: Semi-Glossy PWM Free AHVA

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Typed Review (Settings and ICC profile within)
Video Review

The PB278QR and new version of the PB278Q use the same AUO AHVA panel and have a matte black bezel instead of a matte grey bezel like the original PB278Q PLS version.

Last edited:
NCX, I can confirm that these are indeed flicker free. I just bought a brand new August 2014 panel as well and there is zero flicker at zero brightness.

Of course, the monitor overall is pure shite--insane amount of IPS Glow, both warm and cool--all four corners glow heavily into the screen, a couple BLB spots that you can't really notice until you step back about 5 feet away (when the IPS glow finally reduces), and two separate stuck subpixels, as well, one green and one blue. -_-

See my pic (about 2x worse than in real life, but illustrative enough) taken from about 2 ft away (my typical viewing distance) here:

https://flic.kr/p/pPXxAq

It will most certainly be going back to Fry's--I just bought it as a first foray into IPS to see what's what...not a good first impression, lemme tell you--and I'm coming from an LG 23 inch, 1080p TN panel that I bought 8-9 years ago! Haha.

I ordered both the BenQ BL2710PT and the AOC Q2770PQU from Amazon after they told me I can return anything purchased directly from them within 30 days with free shipping both ways (I have the chat transcript to prove it, too, in case they renege!).

Hopefully one of those two proves out better...else it's onto the BL3200PT or who knows what else. I don't want to go Korean, my luck is not that good (as you tell see by the ASUS, haha).

current mid-range monitors are such a fucking sad story. i hope that 2015 will bring up some decent new panels

Tell me about it. We need some A-TW filters up in here! I just wish WQHD would catch on more, it's a much more appropriate ppi ratio for 27-32 inches than 4K. I think it looks way better than the 4K screens I've seen (28 and 32 inchers from Samsung and Asus, respectively), they seem to suffer from immutable sharpness issues (as in...too many freaking pixels and bad gradient management). I feel like I'd need software smoothing to make this current (initial) 4K batch look good. Maybe the sharpness settings in the OSD could fix it...I viewed them at Fry's, after all, haha.

I picked up the new Asus PB278Q AHVA version and it's the best 2560x1440 IPS Monitor that I've used. The AHVA IPS Technology is much better then my old LG and Samsung monitors. As the new PB278Q AHVA has no input lag and 5 ms response time.

I don't see any ghosting and I can play CS:GO and this monitor keeps up with the fastest of TN panels but without the color shift and not having to keep my head right at the center of the display. The viewing angles are the best I've seen and the semi glossy finish is perfect.

I've been reading into the next AHVA IPS panels are going to be 120hz as well. So AUO definitely has something going for them.

Typed Review (Settings and ICC profile within)
Video Review

The PB278QR and new version of the PB278Q use the same AUO AHVA panel and have a matte black bezel instead of a matte grey bezel like the original PB278Q PLS version.

Just got my monitor in

Looks like i got a R version even though the box states PB278Q. Got it for 419.00 on amazon no tax free 2 day shipping

anyway with my i1display pro
i was able to achieve 6550k , 119 cd/m2 native 921:1
standard setting , trace free 60
manufactured in OCT 14

have one dead pixel bottom left :(

even the two pixel perfect monitors ds270s from korea did not have one dead pixel

pretty sad coming from asus

Overall compared to my DS270 the anti glare coating looks great and i do not see any reflections, On the DS270 the colors pop more maybe due to the PDC

overall i will have to do some testing with some CS global but i have a feeling the yamakasi DS270 has a slightly better picture

NCX, I can confirm that these are indeed flicker free. I just bought a brand new August 2014 panel as well and there is zero flicker at zero brightness.

Of course, the monitor overall is pure shite--insane amount of IPS Glow, both warm and cool--all four corners glow heavily into the screen, a couple BLB spots that you can't really notice until you step back about 5 feet away (when the IPS glow finally reduces), and two separate stuck subpixels, as well, one green and one blue. -_-

See my pic (about 2x worse than in real life, but illustrative enough) taken from about 2 ft away (my typical viewing distance) here:

https://flic.kr/p/pPXxAq

It will most certainly be going back to Fry's--I just bought it as a first foray into IPS to see what's what...not a good first impression, lemme tell you--and I'm coming from an LG 23 inch, 1080p TN panel that I bought 8-9 years ago! Haha.

I ordered both the BenQ BL2710PT and the AOC Q2770PQU from Amazon after they told me I can return anything purchased directly from them within 30 days with free shipping both ways (I have the chat transcript to prove it, too, in case they renege!).

Hopefully one of those two proves out better...else it's onto the BL3200PT or who knows what else. I don't want to go Korean, my luck is not that good (as you tell see by the ASUS, haha).

I just re calibrated my monitor and the Display port for some reason only gives me about 870:1 contrast ratio at 120cd/m2
also noticed a dead pixel bottom left corner where also excessive black light bleed is . I might go ahead and return it next month to amazon instead of getting it for 15% off which would be around 350.00 for the monitor. Great deal but my yamakasi DS270 seem to look alot better when it comes to color pop. The matte monitor looks great no reflections but for me i like the PDC on the DS270. Blacks look better to me. I might just wait another 6 months until a better monitor comes out with native 120hz IPS with few HDMI 2.0 ports and the new display port version . I paid 315.00 back in late 2013 and these DS270 exhibit barely any backlight bleed and no dead or stuck pixels

I am not impressed with the overlord monitors or 2b Extremes for the money they want for them. It might take a year but i am definitely going either g-sync or 120hz IPS . I wish OLED would just come out already the blacks on PC LED monitor suck compared to a plasma like my F8500 or a first gen LG OLED screen

Back