ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Great feedback Bloodflowerz. I have been debating on picking up a 27" monitor to go with my existing Dell 2407WFP, and the ASUS and Dell 2713 are the two being considered.

I have had great experiences with a number of Dell Ultrasharps over the years, and had been leaning towards the Dell, but the image burn-in and cross hatching being reported on many units has me thinking ASUS might be the better choice.

I have also considered just adding two more Dell 2412 Ultrasharps instead of one 27"' and going with a Nvidia Surround setup. Cost would be close. The only game I play though is F1, so not sure if the surround setup is all that necessary.

For F1 it would probably add quite a bit to the immersion factor :) Certainly more than a single 27" would IMO

Great feedback Bloodflowerz. I have been debating on picking up a 27" monitor to go with my existing Dell 2407WFP, and the ASUS and Dell 2713 are the two being considered.

I have had great experiences with a number of Dell Ultrasharps over the years, and had been leaning towards the Dell, but the image burn-in and cross hatching being reported on many units has me thinking ASUS might be the better choice.

I have also considered just adding two more Dell 2412 Ultrasharps instead of one 27"' and going with a Nvidia Surround setup. Cost would be close. The only game I play though is F1, so not sure if the surround setup is all that necessary.

Thanks mate.

I too have had some good experiences with Dell in the past. And truth be told if it weren't for the screen burn in after 20 minutes I would have kept the U2713HM.

I generally never give Asus monitors a second look. But knowing there is a quality Samsung PLS panel inside, along with low input lag and very good pixel response; I was sold. I actually wanted the Samsung S27A850D, however it was too pricey and lacked HDMI, as well a few other things, which the Asus does better.

I generally think the Asus PB278Q looks rather nice in person; I like it's aesthetics compared with the standard Dell Ultrasharp look, which has not changed much over the years.

I'm not generally a fan of eye-finity or NV surround, and like the convenience and simplicity of a one monitor setup.

Please Note:

I woke up this morning and decided to test the back light bleed on the Asus straight from cold power up. I noticed in the top right corner of the screen that there was some bleed which I did not see after a few hours use yesterday.

I later checked the uniformity again later in the day and the back light bleed had reduced, and is now similar to how it was after 10 hours yesterday. I guess the PB278Q needs some time to warm up before delivering the goods. :D

Steveotron and Bloodflowers

Thank you for your experience feedback.

I too hesitate between the Dell and the Asus. I am especially going to use it to look at movies.
Which one would correspond to me best according to you?

Otherwise the AG of Asus is really better that that of the Dell (lighter)?

I too hesitate between the Dell and the Asus. I am especially going to use it to look at movies.

Seems users report "cross hatching" on the Dell, something I haven't seen with the Asus or the Samsung S27A850 (same/ similar panel)

I always worry about giving people advice for large purchases, especially since it seems like my impressions have changed a bit after some use with the two. At first I thought the Dell had a really bad yellow tint, but then I started to think the Asus was overly "cool" (blue tint). I'm not sure which has better colors out of the box, but at the moment I reduced the Blue on the RGB settings to take away the blue tint on the Asus. They really look similar now, but the only way to know if either is correctly set might be to calibrate them.

One thing I can say with certainty, however, is that I do notice the cross-hatching/criss cross pattern sometimes on the Dell. Sometimes I can't really notice it, but there are times when I see it, and it bugs me just a little. I tend to notice it more on the bottom half of the screen, and I thin it might have to do with the viewing angle; I have the Dell at its peak height, and I still have to tilt my head, which is when I see it. I'm not sure if a description online really can allow you to really know what I'm talking about, and I think it's something that would help if you saw in person (I know that doesn't help) to see if it's a big enough deal to you, or if you can even see it.

As for your origianl question about using the monitor for movies, I think both are probably on equal footing. I have to say that the two U2713s that I've seen had worse BLB, however, and that might be an issue for dark scenes. That could really vary from panel to panel, although from what I've seen online the Asus' tend to be more consistent in having less severe BLB.

EDIT: I just found a dead pixel on my PB278Q. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it until today (unless it just randomly popped up). So I'm going to return the PB278Q and U2713HM because they both have dead pixels, but I'm not sure which monitor to repurchase. They're both $699 at Amazon right now. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Well. if Dell can resolve the screen burn in issues and this cross hatching issue, then I would consider the Asus and Dell equal. However, at present, I would consider Asus (Samsung :D) ahead of the Dell since there are no known issues with the Samsung panel.

As steveotron mentioned, the lack of back light bleed is going to be extremely important to you when watching films etc. And yes, this will vary panel to panel.

I say, purchase the cheapest one available to you from a place like Amazon. Test it thoroughly and return if need be.

:)

EDIT: I just found a dead pixel on my PB278Q. I'm surprised I hadn't noticed it until today (unless it just randomly popped up). So I'm going to return the PB278Q and U2713HM because they both have dead pixels, but I'm not sure which monitor to repurchase. They're both $699 at Amazon right now. Decisions, decisions...

Is it a dead pixel or a stuck one?

I hardly ever notice my one stuck pixel. Only on a white background would I notice it; and that is not often. Even then, I would have to hunt for it.

Does your Dell suffer from screen burn in?

I also noticed with my Dell that the screen would at times make a high pitched sound when viewing certain web pages. I actually had a lot of issues with my U2713HM.

I later checked the uniformity again later in the day and the back light bleed had reduced, and is now similar to how it was after 10 hours yesterday. I guess the PB278Q needs some time to warm up before delivering the goods. :D

I have a Samsung 850D and can confirm that the one, very slight bit of bleed that it has ... does indeed disappear almost completely after the screen has been powered on for an hour or more ...

Same thing your seeing with your Asus screen ... which of course uses the same (or similar) PLS panel as the 850D ...

Is it a dead pixel or a stuck one?

I hardly ever notice my one stuck pixel. Only on a white background would I notice it; and that is not often. Even then, I would have to hunt for it.

Does your Dell suffer from screen burn in?

I also noticed with my Dell that the screen would at times make a high pitched sound when viewing certain web pages. I actually had a lot of issues with my U2713HM.

It's black on white, green, red, and blue screens, so I think it's a dead pixel (there's actually two of them).

I haven't experienced screen retention on the Dell, nor the buzzing that has been reported by others. My only real gripe about it is the faint crosshatching from the AG. I've noticed that text is a bit bolder looking on the Dell, which makes it a little easier to red. The font on the Asus can get almost as thick, but I have to lower the sharpness to 30, which makes the text thicker but also blurrier. It's kind of a toss-up for me at the moment.

So this Asus 27" is good for gaming ? I still play a lot of WoW, looking to get Skyrim too.

Right now, still on my old Dell 2709W, @ 1920x1200res, and man I can't imagine what 2560x1400 resolution would look like on this same size :D

A part of me really wants to go 30" Display size, but brand new, those babies are still pretty pricey, at like $1200-$1300. I see used Dell U3011's on Craigslist, going for around $850, but I am worried buying something so nice off CL.

So my options are; brand new Asus 27" @ $699...brand new Dell U3011 @ $1300...Used Dell U3011 @ $850. Yeah, that $1300 is just out of the budget, that is $600 more than the brand new Asus, for $600 that would get me the top of the line best GTX-680 4GB VideoCard. Would you rather have the new Asus 27" + GTX-680 4GB or just the Dell 30", and no VideoCard upgrade for few months ?

Hello,

I'm not at all into gaming (sorry for this... :D ), but I would like a WQHD screen for reviewing and modifing my landscape pictures, as well as making music with a DAW.

The U2713HM seemed perfect to me according to the specs and to the reviews, but then I heard about IPS glow, cross hatching, buzzing noise, image retention...:rolleyes:

So I came back to my first choice, the PB278Q, which specs are a bit less attractive (average sRGB emulation, PWM, no factory calibration...).
But at least this one doesn't seem to have any big "surprises" regards to the PLS panel, except perhaps some PLS glow, and possibly dead pixels that can be covered by Asus pixel warranty.

For those who own the PB278Q, could you please tell me how much time it takes to wake up from standby ? This is my last concern before buying it, because i usually set the Windows timer to 3~5mins so that when I'm not really using the computer it saves power, but when I come back I appreciate when it powers up quickly. My current VE248H (1080p TN panel) is damn slow when I wake it up from standby...

@steveotron : good to know that the PB278Q supports 2560x1440 over HDMI and the U2713 doesn't, because this is one of my top criterias...

Thank you in advance...

Hello,

I'm not at all into gaming (sorry for this... :D ), but I would like a WQHD screen for reviewing and modifing my landscape pictures, as well as making music with a DAW.

The U2713HM seemed perfect to me according to the specs and to the reviews, but then I heard about IPS glow, cross hatching, buzzing noise, image retention...:rolleyes:

So I came back to my first choice, the PB278Q, which specs are a bit less attractive (average sRGB emulation, PWM, no factory calibration...).
But at least this one doesn't seem to have any big "surprises" regards to the PLS panel, except perhaps some PLS glow, and possibly dead pixels that can be covered by Asus pixel warranty.

For those who own the PB278Q, could you please tell me how much time it takes to wake up from standby ? This is my last concern before buying it, because i usually set the Windows timer to 3~5mins so that when I'm not really using the computer it saves power, but when I come back I appreciate when it powers up quickly. My current VE248H (1080p TN panel) is damn slow when I wake it up from standby...

@steveotron : good to know that the PB278Q supports 2560x1440 over HDMI and the U2713 doesn't, because this is one of my top criterias...

Thank you in advance...

The Dell *might* work with the correct HDMI cable, but I couldn't get it to work with the one that Asus gave me, but I'm assuming it's 1.4 since it works with the PB278Q. The Dell actually wakes up almost instantaneously when I move the mouse, and the Asus probably takes 2-4 seconds (it's a little slower). I'm not sure if that's what you would consider slow or not, but it doesn't bug me.

After a week of usage, I *think* I like the colors and text on the Dell just a bit more, but the only thing that makes me really hesitant to recommend it over the PB278Q right now is the crosshatching. I'm using a U2410 right now in my office, and I don't see that effect, although the antiglare is thicker and makes the white document I'm working on sparkly. Sorry if that makes your decision harder. I think that if you get the Asus and don't waste your time like me constantly comparing the monitors all the time, you'd probably be happy with it.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party here, but figure I should make my presence known here as well. I am not, strictly speaking, a tech support resource though I'm generally willing to take a crack at it. What I can do is help out with RMA issues and special cases.

On that note, I caught mention of some kind of light bleed issues with some Asus monitors. I looked at a few photos and wasn't quite sure what it was I was looking for. So if people having that issue want to send me a PM or email (email is probably going to be faster on the average, though I do try and at least swing by here 1-2X/day even if just to check for new messages) with a couple of sample photos showing exactly what the issue is, I'll look into it.

Trust me, you would rather deal with me than the person who usually handles monitors. I've dubbed her the resident firestarter, because she got upset about something and then right around the same time an overhead light flickers, sputters, smokes, and dies. She claims to have had nothing to do with it, but don't women always say that? :D Who here hasn't felt their defenses crumble under the power of a dirty look from a significant other we have displeased in some way? But seriously, those of you having some kind of an issue, if you could send me some specifics that'd be great. I'll risk immolation on your behalf.

Well I just got this Asus 27 and for me I dont like any black light bleed and for $699 I wont put up with any. So far for the 1st time I have none, I mean it has that glow (you move and you can see some glow move also?) but ALL the screen is the same black all over. Its a different kind of black for me. I had been using my Dell 2707wfp which still is perfect no problems but this Asus 2560x1440 no bl anywhere no dead pixels just wow.

Yes I could have got the Korean made ones and those are nice but cheap for a reason. Asus will take care of me for 3 years. The PMW thing .. yeah for me its like UFO's..you just have to believe hehe.. no.. never seen it or had a problem with it..

One thing I noticed off the bat and man this is so so sad. I put both monitors side by side.. OMG REALLY? How in the .. did I never see that DELL red tint!

Just got mine from Amazon (must be new stock).

Colors are very nice coming from a U2410.

My backlight bleed is very minimal and no stuck or dead pixels.

My eyes have to adjust to the AG coating. They aren't use to seeing a smooth picture that isn't "dirty".

I'm trying to pick the right trace free setting. 20 or 40 seem to be the right spot.

The more I look at this, the more I realise you might be right! I can still see the pixel colour under the grey \ dark mark, so it does look like its something trapped between the panel and the coating. Shall I still send it back? Is this covered under returns?

Also the back light bleed is attached, is this a good panel otherwise?

http://imgur.com/D4CSf

http://imgur.com/DknAL

Have to say for me mine is "black" like your upper left corner everywhere. All solid that color. For ME? If I pay $699 for that monitor you got? I would be sending it back. You and all should get one just as good or better then mine. I just got this yesterday from Amazon which just got them in stock.

@steveotron:

From what you've tried with both monitors, there's evidence that even with the right cable (HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 compliant ) and a video card that supports WQHD, the Dell is unable to display 2560x1440 through HDMI.
There's also several reports of U2713 not going above 1080p over HDMI (i.e prad.de review).

Thanks for the feedback for the wake up time, as I expected the Asus is not the fastest one, but even 4 secs is OK for me.

So you say the AG on the Dell is more "visible" on white pages... good to know... :rolleyes:

Because of the various feedbacks on the Dell, I think I have two options; going now for the Asus, as I will probably enjoy it a lot, or wait until Dell (or LG) solves the various problems in their IPS panels, then buy the Dell and upgrade my computer, because I cannot change the videocard to have something else than VGA or HDMI...

Right now I'm using a CCFL-backlit 22" HP TFT with 1680x1050 resolution, and I've already been waiting for a long time before WQHD comes at a reasonnable price, I'm not sure I want to wait more :p

So thank you for your input and your advice, which are really helpful, but...
...are you going to return one of the two ? :D

@steveotron:

From what you've tried with both monitors, there's evidence that even with the right cable (HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 compliant ) and a video card that supports WQHD, the Dell is unable to display 2560x1440 through HDMI.
There's also several reports of U2713 not going above 1080p over HDMI (i.e prad.de review).

Thanks for the feedback for the wake up time, as I expected the Asus is not the fastest one, but even 4 secs is OK for me.

So you say the AG on the Dell is more "visible" on white pages... good to know... :rolleyes:

Because of the various feedbacks on the Dell, I think I have two options; going now for the Asus, as I will probably enjoy it a lot, or wait until Dell (or LG) solves the various problems in their IPS panels, then buy the Dell and upgrade my computer, because I cannot change the videocard to have something else than VGA or HDMI...

Right now I'm using a CCFL-backlit 22" HP TFT with 1680x1050 resolution, and I've already been waiting for a long time before WQHD comes at a reasonnable price, I'm not sure I want to wait more :p

So thank you for your input and your advice, which are really helpful, but...
...are you going to return one of the two ? :D

I actually have to return both because they have dead pixels. I'm fickle and continue to debate between the two despite using both for a decent amount of time. I'm basically back at where I started and have to decide between the two again. I'll let you guys know what I decide, haha.

I have a Samsung 850D and can confirm that the one, very slight bit of bleed that it has ... does indeed disappear almost completely after the screen has been powered on for an hour or more ...

Same thing your seeing with your Asus screen ... which of course uses the same (or similar) PLS panel as the 850D ...

That's great to know. I was sure my eyes were not deceiving me and that indeed what I was seeing was true. Glad to have this confirmed by yourself.

:)

So this Asus 27" is good for gaming ? I still play a lot of WoW, looking to get Skyrim too.

Right now, still on my old Dell 2709W, @ 1920x1200res, and man I can't imagine what 2560x1400 resolution would look like on this same size :D

A part of me really wants to go 30" Display size, but brand new, those babies are still pretty pricey, at like $1200-$1300. I see used Dell U3011's on Craigslist, going for around $850, but I am worried buying something so nice off CL.

So my options are; brand new Asus 27" @ $699...brand new Dell U3011 @ $1300...Used Dell U3011 @ $850. Yeah, that $1300 is just out of the budget, that is $600 more than the brand new Asus, for $600 that would get me the top of the line best GTX-680 4GB VideoCard. Would you rather have the new Asus 27" + GTX-680 4GB or just the Dell 30", and no VideoCard upgrade for few months ?

Me personally, I would go with the Asus 27" and the GTX 680 4GB for sure. The Dell U3011 is not as good as the Asus when it comes to gaming. The Dell has more motion blur and higher input lag, not to mention the heavy AG coating and inferior black levels.

I actually have to return both because they have dead pixels. I'm fickle and continue to debate between the two despite using both for a decent amount of time. I'm basically back at where I started and have to decide between the two again. I'll let you guys know what I decide, haha.

Yeah, that's bad...
If I had two different monitors with this kind of problem out of the box, I would return them both, and forget about it ! :D

Anyway, I think I only have one option; Asus, or nothing... I've made a bit of statistics on the U2713HM user's feedbacks, and there's at least 60-70% of returns, for one or several issues...

But I'm still wondering if it's not too early to buy a WQHD IPS/PLS screen, as the technology doesn't seem to be really reliable (and consistant) for the time beeing...:rolleyes:
(I don't think LG can solve all these issues at once on their IPS panels, and I just hope that the PLS ones won't show the same kind of issues after some time...)

Last edited:
Like some of the others I am fickle.

I have the ASUS PB278Q and I love it..but after a few days the backlight bleed increased significantly. The corner stuff is usual, faint white glows in the corner but now in the center bottom of the screen is a yellow glow that shows even on non dark screens (like during gaming)

Very annoying..how hard is it to make a monitor with no bleed? I mean my work monitor (that I am using now) is an old HP 2009m and has no BLB or issues...just fustrating when you pay so much money and it is not near perfect.

Bought mine through Newegg and now having to go through RMA process, pay 30 bucks to ship old one back and only hope the new one is better... Also be without a monitor for a few weeks...such a pain.

I have the ASUS PB278Q and I love it..but after a few days the backlight bleed increased significantly. The corner stuff is usual, faint white glows in the corner but now in the center bottom of the screen is a yellow glow that shows even on non dark screens (like during gaming)

Very annoying..how hard is it to make a monitor with no bleed? I mean my work monitor (that I am using now) is an old HP 2009m and has no BLB or issues...just fustrating when you pay so much money and it is not near perfect.

Bought mine through Newegg and now having to go through RMA process, pay 30 bucks to ship old one back and only hope the new one is better... Also be without a monitor for a few weeks...such a pain.

Are you sure you have to PAY shipping back? Every time I have something and theres a problem with it I CALL and they pay shipping.

Are you sure you have to PAY shipping back? Every time I have something and theres a problem with it I CALL and they pay shipping.

Yeah, the service person I called automatically created a UPS shipping label for free, and I didn't have to ask for it. Although this was a good experience with Newegg, I have heard of a lot of people not getting free return shipping unless they ask (and maybe get a nice rep).

So you finally returned both, of course ?

I don't know what is the "usual" return policy in your respective countries, but here in France if you buy in a local shop it depends; sometimes you cannot return, sometimes during the first 15-30 days, but having your money back is really rare...
Buying online you have 7 days (legal rules), perhaps 1month on Am...on.fr, but 7 days is short...

Because having to return a single defective unit is OK but when the problem lies into the manufacturing process that is unreliable, you can keep exchanging until the warranty comes out... I feel like even a good unit "out of the box" can get worse over time.

Things are not made to last anymore, this is not new of course, but it's getting worse these days... The market keeps going on because people still aim to buy things, because it has some appeal, it's always exciting to get something new, despite the poor reliability.

Dead pixels are OK, unless there's lots of them, but BB variations over a whole batch of monitors, cross hatching, noise depending on the contrast etc...

I would really like to upgrade from 1680x1050 (yeah, I know, it's not even HD...) but my actual monitor has been working with no problems for 4 years, despite its poor color fidelity and its TN panel.

That's why I'm fickle... :rolleyes: I would like to keep the screen for at least five years...

Got my Asus today!

First Impressions(excuse my bad english :D):

+Very good colors out of the box
+Love the semi-glossy coating
+My first 2560x1440 monitor! I had a Dell U2412m(16:10/1920x1200) before, so its not as impressive as when you come from (lets say)a 21 FHD monitor, but still very nice!
+My Asus doesnt flicker or I just dont see it(turned the brightness down, but still nothing there)
+ No dead pixels and no backlight bleeding that I can see, just some IPS glow(I will update this part later when its dark)

- Input Lag: Yes it's there, but it is very minimal. Unfortunately some components of my new pc aren't here yet, so I just played some "DayZ" and "Mount & Blade : Napoleonic Wars" on it(Using an "old" GTX 460). When I played DayZ I didnt notice the IL at all, gameplay was as smooth as on my Dell U2412m(7ms IL). But when I played Mount & Blade it felt a tiny bit sluggish. I think you can get used to that, if you change the mouse sensitivity.

# Btw: I knew that my Asus was coming today, so before it arrived I used an ICC profile for the first time on my Dell and it worked. The picture looked worse then my own settings, but at least it worked.
So I downloaded NCX's and Tftcentral's ICC profiles today, put them in the "color" folder and all that, but for some reason nothing changed. Can someone explain that to me?

Overall for now I'm very happy with the new monitor. I will upload some pictures tonight.

If you are RMA'ing for a defect/problem than they cover shipping. They told me that a few weeks ago when I rma'd an Asus VG27HE panel.

I just received this one from Amazon and have already RMAd through them once now. 2nd one with the same kind of defect in the same approximate spot on the screen.

Now the backlighting is beautiful, very uniform. However in the upper right of the lower left quadrant of the screen there is a blackish-gray piece of something under the outer screen. It is not bad pixels, but something shaped like a grain of rice for lack of a better term. Maybe a piece of cardboard lint even.

Only shows on a white screen.

Bad pic but here:

DSC00869.jpg

Spec of dust maybe? :p And did you check the S/N? You didn't just get the same panel back to you again? :D

Spec of dust maybe? :p And did you check the S/N? You didn't just get the same panel back to you again? :D

They are both sitting here, UPS is coming to get the other one in the morning. I don't think it is bad pixels as on the first one I can see a definite 'line ' to it and it is black.

If I could take the front off and that outside was a protecting layer that wasn't glued to the actual screen I'd see if I could get it out. But I don't see screw-one on it anyway.

The purple one could be a dead green subpixel (red and blue on and a non working green would give white normally, but without the green would be purple)...

As for the other one, it seems like it effects more than 1 pixel anyway, I wouldn't like to guess what that is.

Did you say that both of the screens have similar marks in both places?

The purple one could be a dead green subpixel (red and blue on and a non working green would give white normally, but without the green would be purple)...

As for the other one, it seems like it effects more than 1 pixel anyway, I wouldn't like to guess what that is.

Did you say that both of the screens have similar marks in both places?

Yes, same general area. The lower one is almost of a diagonal orientation. Wish I could get a better picture.

Here are some pictures. :)

Remember, the monitor isnt calibrated yet...All I did was changing to User Mode and use NCX's settings, but I still have to get the ICC profiles to work...

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3076/6z23n474_jpg.htm

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3076/umkixsm4_jpg.htm

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3076/4xzpaoo9_jpg.htm

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3076/fpjjf6un_jpg.htm

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. Glad you like your monitor. I am absolutely thrilled with my PB278Q, even with one stuck pixel. ;)

Here are some pictures. :)

Remember, the monitor isnt calibrated yet...All I did was changing to User Mode and use NCX's settings, but I still have to get the ICC profiles to work...

http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3076/6z23n474_jpg.htm

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3076/umkixsm4_jpg.htm

http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3076/4xzpaoo9_jpg.htm

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3076/fpjjf6un_jpg.htm

Nice man im ordering my sometime this week can't wait to get it.

Just went to Frys and pick up this monitor.

There is a really bad backlit bleed in the center top, and it's quite annoying in black scene.

I am going to exchange it.

Overall, this has to be the best monitor I have used so far out of box without calibrating.

Yeah, the service person I called automatically created a UPS shipping label for free, and I didn't have to ask for it. Although this was a good experience with Newegg, I have heard of a lot of people not getting free return shipping unless they ask (and maybe get a nice rep).

You should have asked them to pay shippimg.

I returned a panel to them and the RMA process auto-created a shipping label. Instead of paying for it, I called and spoke to customer service and she told me to forget about the shipping label and that they would cover it.

Sent the panel back and had a refund in 4 days. No restocking fee either. Probably the easiest company I have ever had to deal with customer service wise (Dell was also very good).

Back