ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

I gotta say the glass helps make the colors "pop" but the colors looks imho look better and fuller. Maybe I need to calibrate more but I think it looks better than my ACD. I miss the glass but only a little. The height adjustment is CLUTCH.

Mine is quite small and I have to be looking for it to find it. Newegg said I could exchange it and ASUS said I could advance RMA it. I'm not sure which route to take but I have to leave for business soon so I might just RMA it. Who knows. I want a calibration tool as well but I'm willing to put down a little bit of money if I can use it on my TVs as well.

I don't know how RMA works. Never done it before. Do they send a new monitor and then you send the defective one back?

In my case I ordered it from amazon. I have 30 days to return it. I will use it few more days to see if there are any other problems. If not I will just keep it. That tiny dead pixel is not bothering me at all.

I gotta say the glass helps make the colors "pop" but the colors looks imho look better and fuller. Maybe I need to calibrate more but I think it looks better than my ACD. I miss the glass but only a little. The height adjustment is CLUTCH.

If you really like the monitor I say get the x-rite colormuki entry level calibrator. It's only 90 bucks on amazon. Totally worth it.

I got my Asus PB278Q today.

Wow, this is a beautiful display. So far all I've done is set the brightness to 30. This thing is perfect. :-D

Last edited:
TFTCentral now has recieved a PB278Q and a review is coming soon. It looks like it took them 2 days to get a review out for the U2713HM after receiving it, so hopefully there is a review for the Asus in the next day or two. Based on everything I've seen and read in this thread, it seems like the monitor to go for since the U2713HM seems to suffer from some big issues. I had to return two Catleaps due to quality issues, so I've been stuck on my old 21.5" 1080p TN that has horrible colors and viewing angles, and I am completely ready to pick one up ASAP if their in-depth review looks good.

The reviewer of the U2713HM on Anandtech mentioned running some tests on the PB278Q but had not written anything up on it yet, and that was last week. Hopefully Anandtech gets a reivew out soon too. Both sites seemed to really like the U2713HM, but user reports on the forums have been less than stellar. Good reviews + great accounts from users and it's a done deal.

Last edited:
Received my monitor yesterday. Coming from 1920x1080 1080P monitor to this.The difference is clear. When I launched Guild Wars 2, colors blew up in my face. The water actually looked fluid and realistic. Everything was much more vibrant.

I can tell that 2560x1440 is much larger than 1920x1080 but my eyes weren't feeling that way. I remember when i switched from a 1440x768 to 1920x1080 my eyes were strained and took some time getting used to. I really thought I would have that same feeling going up to 2560x1440. Its good that my eyes don't feel strained but at the same time I didn't get that extra "wow" factor. But I can say that experiencing this IPS panel, I can never go back.

I'll be getting mine tomorrow so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will add my own pics to add to the experience-base.

With my luck, we'll find out within a week that there's 50ms of input lag on it once proper reviews hit. But glad to see no one else is really noticing so far. I'm probably too old and slow to notice now anyway.

<Insert inane story about whippernappers and lawns and Counter-Strike Beta 5.5 being the best here>

I'm unfamiliar with backlight bleeding. Ran a simple test that I read here. Set background to black and turned off the lights. I have one pic at 80% brightness and the other at 30%. I can see a glow on each corner. How do you all feel about this? I'm not very nit picky but I did pay a hefty amount. What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

80% Brightness
http://imgur.com/vnbCD,649Uc

30% Brightness
http://imgur.com/vnbCD,649Uc#1

I'm unfamiliar with backlight bleeding. Ran a simple test that I read here. Set background to black and turned off the lights. I have one pic at 80% brightness and the other at 30%. I can see a glow on each corner. How do you all feel about this? I'm not very nit picky but I did pay a hefty amount. What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

80% Brightness

30% Brightness

If that 30% brightness pic shows that much bleeding, I say return and exchange it. That looks bad. I have mine at 20 brightness and 80 contrast. No bleeding at all.

80% Brightness

30% Brightness

One thing is what a camera sees - another is what you experience...

try watch a dark movie, and if you notice backlight bleeding, return/exchange the monitor... otherwize you'll probably never notice it.

Yes, i agree. Cameras normally tend to overxpose 1 on 2 steps of light

or more...

The correct way to photograph a monitor is to set the camera to M (Manual) and fixed ISO of 200 or 400
Then adjust the cameras F-stop and Shutterspeed while looking at a normal windows desktop.
when the photo looks correct (what you see), then display a black screen and take a photo again.

this will show the correct exposure and thus the correct backlight bleed that will be experienced while watching a movie or play games.

Static display of pictures or photo editing will suffer if BLB is heavy and you use your whole screen (normally you edit in the center of the screen, while BLB tends to be in the edges, which in effect result in BLB being less of a problem)

BLB is only annoying if its visible while watching movies -- i know this from my LG 42LY95 TV where the BLB and TN-like viewing angles distort the image if i look closely. When there are black bars in top and bottom its noticable, but only if i look for it....

Got one from amazon today and it has two bleed spots which move around when pressed, the stand is good but the overall build is definitely inferior to the major players like HP/Dell/Samsung...didn't even bother checking for dead pixels as this is not a keeper at $760 (with CA tax, thanks Amazon for that!).

Next stop is the NEC PA271W, all other 1440p monitors are crap, period...didn't bother with those LG LED panels after my MC Auria as they all have a dark stripe at the bottom as a 'feature'...really?

The NEC uses an old school CCFL panel so doesn't have this nice feature :)

Unless you like excessively grainy matte coatings, avoid the NEC.

Not sure what you were expecting since it is very common for sub 1000$ displays to have bleeding...

Last edited:
Performed a quick calibration, reducing brightness to 35 and profiling with i1DPro, the bleed seems much less now...not sure about this now.

After calibration, at the following settings:

Brightness: 34

Contrast: 80

R:50 G:50 B:44

The contrast ration is 944 which is definitely quite good.

Would like to post the profile for others but didn't see any attachment option here.

After calibration, the bleed on mine is almost identical to the Viewsonic VP2770 that tftcentral reviewed.

Last edited:
Received mine today. Keep in mind I'm moving from two Dell 2007FPs but this thing is spectacular. Not a single dead or stuck pixel. As everyone has read by now, ridiculously bright out of the box. 25 is subjectively comfortable.

From bobbing my head around like an owl on crack with high brightness I'm not able to discern bleeding at all from corners, though I can see a little at the top edges of the screen near the right and left sides. Aside from that is normal IPS glow which disappears if you look at it straight-on.

I hopped in a few games to get a feel for how movement/ghost/blur/yadda compares and, well, it's faster than my previous (very slow, 16ms pixel response) monitors without a doubt. Romping around the countryside in BF3 on an atv in Armored Shield was pretty, Just Cause 2 was more pretty and Skyrim... well, not even a new monitor can help Skyrim's shadow/lighting issues, but it looked better.

Since writing most of this post it's gotten dark enough that I was able to get some superb (they suck) smartphone pictures of bleed/glow. I don't own a 'proper' camera so here's the 5 megapixel Galaxy Nexus treatment...

I do want to stress that the vast majority of what shows in the pictures is actually IPS glow from viewing it at an angle, which I have pointed out in the images. Also, having now experienced this first hand, I truly understand just how different these pictures look compared to actually being here. This is at 100 brightness in the dark.

Head-on, mostly
Angled, showing actual bleed more.
Close-up of bleed at top-left.

There is zero bleed from corners. I have two actual areas that are bleeding slightly at the top, ~1/5th from the left side and 1/4th length from right side. The camera picked up a slight bleed spot at the bottom about 1/3 length from the left but I couldn't see it with my naked eye. Maybe if I waited ~15 minutes for my eyes to adjust, I would have. The bleed that is present is completely not visible during normal use. I loaded up a movie with lots of contrast (300) and turned out the lights--not even noticeable unless I ignore the movie.

Now I need 2 more.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the right side is slightly darker on these panels? I though that my ZR2440W has this issue but the asus has it and it a bit more pronounced due to the display size, I think has to do with glow being more prominent on the right side on all these IPS/PLS LED displays.
Cell phone (4S) shot from 2.5 feet away: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/90/img0345ws.jpg/

Keeper or return?

Last edited:
Keeper or return?

You need to be at least 3ft away from 27" IPS/PLS to avoid seeing glow. 5-6ft shooting distance and zooming in the is best way to take pictures.

Load up yahoo

http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/;_ylt=AkwcR...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDdmlkLWdhbGxlcnk-;_ylv=3

Is the orange uniform or obviously lighter/dark on side? If so exchange it. Giving up on a display with good image quality because of minor qc issues for something else that will likely have the same issues and worse image quality (NEC PA271W) won't be worth it.

Likely keeping mine as well, for text its a great screen as though I am not an AG-phobic, the combination of non-grainy AG with the sharp pitch makes text great to use.

Hope I can ignore the tiny bleed and slight uniformity issues....

Got a reasonable enough color match with my zr2440w too, given the gamut differences, so will use that for my second screen.

Setting up these screens and calibrating them is an hour long effort and I think I'm done for 5 years after trying out about 15-20 screens during the last year.

So far:

- No dead or stuck pixels.
- No appreciable bleed.
- Luminance uniformity is fairly good.
- White point uniformity is a little off, but not more than on any other IPS display without a compensator.

EDIT: Another point. It looks phenomenally good without the heavy AG. I essentially returned a U2711 for this. I'm seeing similar to slightly better white point uniformity/tint and better luminance uniformity all without the AG.

Last edited:
I agree as much as I still love my ZR2440W, LG has finally made the right switch to the lighter AGlike the one on this Samsung panel blocks almost as much light without graininess.

This is still very much AG, but not grainy at all. I loathe glossy glass screens much more than AG ones, they are good on tablets and phones where using one without any light behind you is very easy.

I do not want to work in the dark just to avoid reflections.

The Asus has a PLS panel and the same semi-glossy coating as the Samsung 850D

The Asus has a PLS panel and the same semi-glossy coating as the Samsung 850D

Well yeah, but the same thing applies.

As far as color temperature/white/grey point:

This isn't uniform. My old monitor wasn't uniform (TN). My TV isn't uniform (VA). My phone isn't uniform (IPS). My iPad isn't uniform (mine has a Samsung panel so... PLS?). My laptop isn't uniform (TN). My U2711 wasn't uniform.

It's just how it is.

Huh, why would brightness seemingly effect the appearance of ghosting?

This must have a PWM backlight.

Last edited:
Seems this thing does take a few minutes to warm up, as my tiny bleed spots on top and color uniformity both improve after a few minutes or may be my eyes get used it not sure which :)

I thought LED screens were literally instantaneous, guess not. Anyone else experience this with this or similar screens? Its not that the brightness increases like in a CCFL screen just that it becomes more even in about 2-3 minutes.

Last edited:
Why would anyone in the US buy this for $300.00 more when this is available at Microcenter for $400.00???
http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Neither is perfect but this has double the contrast ratio, much better warranty with a known brand, much better stand,always available unlike the auria which comes and goes in batches every 2 months.....and no dark stripe at the bottom like all LG LED screens including the ACDs...its not perfect though and I may play the exchange game if I can't accept the slight top bleed.

^ Have you calibrated the screen? when I got it I thought it was a POS coz of the bleed but after calibration everything became much better.

If you are spending $500+ on a screen a basic hw calibrator is a must and there is definitely a warm up period for this display, after 15-30 mins both luminosity and color temp become quite stable across the screen, still some difference like on almost IPS panels but nothing too bad on a screen this size, now if it did not have the 1 cm bleed at the two spots on top I'd be dancing :)

^ Have you calibrated the screen? when I got it I thought it was a POS coz of the bleed but after calibration everything became much better.

If you are spending $500+ on a screen a basic hw calibrator is a must and there is definitely a warm up period for this display, after 15-30 mins both luminosity and color temp become quite stable across the screen, still some difference like on almost IPS panels but nothing too bad on a screen this size, now if it did not have the 1 cm bleed at the two spots on top I'd be dancing :)

I don't really have any bleed, even at 100% brightness. My main issue right now is PWM flicker. Brightness at 100 is retina-burning, but at anything lower than maybe 80, it becomes distracting for me. The color temp uniformity isn't doing me any favors either, but as you said, it's on everything.

Weird that it has PWM flicker since the 850D, VP2770 & 970D do not. I guess the inclusion of PWM explains the lower price point. I just figured it would have terrible QC and large panel variations (contrast/gamma) like the PA248Q and PA238Q

Are you sure its not something else? Mine is at 34 brightness and I see no flicker and I am quite sensitive to it, even on my ZR2440W which uses a very high freq of 430 Hz, I can see it a bit at below 20 brightness.

Back