ASUS PB278Q 1440p IPS (PLS Panel)

Ordered from Amazon for $678.00 and UPS dropped it off yesterday evening. Got everything hooked up and fired up Battlefield 3 and all I have to say is WOW!

I upgraded from a 1920x1200 Dell 2407 and the difference is pretty incredible. I have a little bit of what looks like backlight bleeding on the right side. Need to try and snap a picture of it. Aside from that, everything else is great. The color was perfect out of the box using Standard mode. Next step is to load an ICC profile from TFTCentral.

1zn61wn.jpg

Not too concerned about this, merely just showing how much there is. Not a single dead / stuck pixel so I'm happy.

1zn61wn.jpg

Not too concerned about this, merely just showing how much there is. Not a single dead / stuck pixel so I'm happy.

Give it time. The bleed should even out after a few hours, it did for me. :)

It's a fantastic monitor. Glad you like it.

Without going through the 21 pages of this thread (lol), how's the input lag and pixel response? Any ghosting issues?

This would be mainly for Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, Hawken, etc..

Thanks!

Without going through the 21 pages of this thread (lol), how's the input lag and pixel response? Any ghosting issues?

This would be mainly for Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, Hawken, etc..

Thanks!

I can't detect any with my naked eye. And that's what counts...

I'm in the same case as Diablorojo and soldierblue. The screen is good but the pwm is killing it.
While it has good image, I can't play any game below the brightness at level 90 (pure coïncidence with factory settings isn't it ?). As soon as there are vertical objects like trees, lamposts, I see it duplicated many times, like a slideshow with motion blurr, even at more than 100 fps's. And the walls look like a grid. And I don't even have to move the cursor fast. Even scrolling webpages, I still see horizontal tiny pixels lines in text.

So, what I do is increasing the brightness and lower it in game settings. But like diablorojo, the contrast create a bloom.

So there are some question for you guys:

-is my monitor deffective ? I'm about to RMA it, but I fear the problem is on my side, and I don't have much BLB. Is there a chance that the pwm are much too low set compared to other screens from the same serie ?
-can someone tell me an effective way to calibrate it at 90% brightness, reduce it somehow without getting bloom ?
-wich monitor do you advise me (IPS or PLS) for gaming, and without pwm ?
-I downloaded the "ASUS-PB278-windows7-WHQL". I don't know how to install it, but do you think it might help ?

I'd like to add that I've mostly played on TN 60 hz. Even after having moved from CRT, this transition to pwm is horrid. So beware if you are pwm sensitive. .

Last edited:
I'm in the same case as Diablorojo and soldierblue. The screen is good but the pwm is killing it.
While it has good image, I can't play any game below the brightness at level 90 (pure coïncidence with factory settings isn't it ?). As soon as there are vertical objects like trees, lamposts, I see it duplicated many times, like a slideshow with motion blurr, even at more than 100 fps's. And the walls look like a grid. And I don't even have to move the cursor fast. Even scrolling webpages, I still see horizontal tiny pixels lines in text.

So, what I do is increasing the brightness and lower it in game settings. But like diablorojo, the contrast create a bloom.

So there are some question for you guys:

-is my monitor deffective ? I'm about to RMA it, but I fear the problem is on my side, and I don't have much BLB. Is there a chance that the pwm are much too low set compared to other screens from the same serie ?
-can someone tell me an effective way to calibrate it at 90% brightness, reduce it somehow without getting bloom ?
-wich monitor do you advise me (IPS or PLS) for gaming, and without pwm ?
-I downloaded the "ASUS-PB278-windows7-WHQL". I don't know how to install it, but do you think it might help ?

I'd like to add that I've mostly played on TN 60 hz. Even after having moved from CRT, this transition to pwm is horrid. So beware if you are pwm sensitive. .

Looks like you got a defected one..

From my testing, the PWM problem isn't really there for me like other monitors did.

Is this normal for this monitor been a day almost 2 days now.This is the 3rd monitor that looks like this coming from u2410 and never have i exp this with my old monitor.I notice this even when playing games like say when you first boot up far cry 3 on the black screen you can see the glow on my u2410 never did this.http://i.imgur.com/mO6I7.jpg

Anyone else notice that the left side is warmer/yellower than the right on all these monitors? Been through three screens and the third one is nigh perfect but still has that to some degree...this is most visible on light grey shades.

Is this normal for this monitor been a day almost 2 days now.This is the 3rd monitor that looks like this coming from u2410 and never have i exp this with my old monitor.I notice this even when playing games like say when you first boot up far cry 3 on the black screen you can see the glow on my u2410 never did this.http://i.imgur.com/mO6I7.jpg

My first one have the similar bleed problem, which I already returned it.

The second one so far have no bleed issue at all. Surprising..... :eek:

Here used 0 brightness on camera and the brightness on the monitor is set at 27 see the patchy spots. picture one and two this is backlight bleed right?I'm still within my 30 days so i can send back for exchange to amazon.

http://i.imgur.com/BRjQA.jpg

http://imgur.com/BRjQA&q4qIR#1

The best way to take a picture of your screen is to stand 1-2 meters back and zoom in a little, if required. Or you can move slightly closer to it. It depends on the lens I guess.

Are you sure you did not use flash or anything? Your pictures with brightness 27 is almost exactly like my monitor at 100 brightness. See my pictures on page 18:

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/4576/asusdellcomp.jpg

Have you let the screen warm up before taking the pictures? Give it an hour at least before taking pictures.

The best way to take a picture of your screen is to stand 1-2 meters back and zoom in a little, if required. Or you can move slightly closer to it. It depends on the lens I guess.

Are you sure you did not use flash or anything? Your pictures with brightness 27 is almost exactly like my monitor at 100 brightness. See my pictures on page 18:

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/4576/asusdellcomp.jpg

Have you let the screen warm up before taking the pictures? Give it an hour at least before taking pictures.

It's been on all day and nah i didn't have flash on.Got amazon shipping another one be here on the 12th if this one doesn't work out just going give up and pick up S27B970D

Just how bad is the bleed on this? Was thinking about picking this up for someone this Christmas. Would it be a deal breaker for casual people just using it to surf the web in a fairly well lit environment?

Just how bad is the bleed on this? Was thinking about picking this up for someone this Christmas. Would it be a deal breaker for casual people just using it to surf the web in a fairly well lit environment?

Shouldn't notice it if your casual user had a few friends over they couldn't tell what i was talking about but there not pc users really so yea pretty hard to notice unless you know what your looking for.

Would like to get inputs on color uniformity on this one, not sure if I should keep exchanging or get an active compensator model like the Samsung (again) or NEC since my eyes are oversensitive to such issues?

Someone care to open light grey shades on their screen and compare left to right?

I am interested in this monitor and would like to know if a crossfire of 6950 is enough to be able to play games like bf3 at native resolution or do I have to upgrade my cards?

I am interested in this monitor and would like to know if a crossfire of 6950 is enough to be able to play games like bf3 at native resolution or do I have to upgrade my cards?

You may not be able to max the details and anti-aliasing etc, but it should run fine :) I take it you have 1GB VRAM cards right?

Not sure how posting gpu benchmarks for a bunch of games qualifies as a display review?

http://www./forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57294-asus-pb278q-27-pls-monitor-review.html, go to page 5

Are you sure about that? Go to cnn.com or tomshardware.com and compare the shades on the background on the right vs left, see a difference?:(

I see the uniformity issues in the review. However, at home, I do not see any irregularities with my PB278Q monitor. Yes, there may be some uniformity issues which a calibration device may detect, but what's the point? If I cannot see it, and it does not affect my use of the screen, then I see no reason why I should start hunting for issues. Seriously, I just spend my time enjoying the screen. It's fantastic. I don't care what a reading on a device tells me. I trust my eyes.

"Please note however that these issues may not be present in all PB278Q monitors as uniformity has been known to vary wildly from one sample to another."

There is something very wrong with their gamma (2.20 ish gamma for every display, lol, no) and contrast measurements (550:1-ish for everything) any way so I wouldn't worry about their uniformity measurements to much.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the quality of the internals? Don't wont to be stuck with a $700 monitor that has cheap capacitors or anything else along those lines.

Agree this is a good screen and that the hadwarecanucks review isn't that great but the overclockers.ru review is very good, exceptional in fact and better than any other review on anandtech and tftcentral, these are the only guys who measure both luminosity and color temp across the screen, the rest just measure luminosity. It seems 600k difference on screens 24+ is quite normal, unfortunately the difference between 6400k and 7000K is plainly visible to the naked eye.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5085...bzor_i_testirovanie_monitora_ASUS_PB278Q.html

The deviation on my sample is actually quite less (around 380k) but is still visible in light white/grey shades.

This is a great screen overall, even better than the S27B970D in some areas due to better input lag and no ultra reflective glass, just wish this had a compensator as well.

Last edited:
I didn't measure every cm of mine (i1 display pro is too big to fit into the corners) but I took an average reading in each section of the screen, maximum deviances were quite low:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...sion/11962-asus-pb278q-review.html#post876350

My Asus was better than my CrossOver in terms of white and colour temperature uniformity, but slightly worse than my Samsung. Subjective uniformity was really good and PLS panels don't have they dark slightly green tinted brightness strip near the bottom whereas most of the 27" IPS seem to. The 970D only has 19ms of input lag vs the Asus's 17ms...

I didn't measure every cm of mine (i1 display pro is too big to fit into the corners) but I took an average reading in each section of the screen, maximum deviances were quite low:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...sion/11962-asus-pb278q-review.html#post876350

My Asus was better than my CrossOver in terms of white and colour temperature uniformity, but slightly worse than my Samsung. Subjective uniformity was really good and PLS panels don't have they dark slightly green tinted brightness strip near the bottom whereas most of the 27" IPS seem to. The 970D only has 19ms of input lag vs the Asus's 17ms...

You don't have the 970D to review do you would love to see it if you got a review coming soon for it.

You don't have the 970D to review do you would love to see it if you got a review coming soon for it.

No, never will either unless Samsung miraculously decides to send me one or someone gives me 1100$ to buy one (950$+12% tax here).

My biggest (and only gripe) with the display is the that left is visibly yellower than the right, and all three sample I have have had this to a varying degree. I know I am super picky but still.

got another one today which is pretty uniform , also got a 970 from mc to compare...need to make up mind once n for all

So the 970D is much more uniform than the 278Q (no surprises there), but it also had a debris particle trapped under the glass on the left, putting glass on this screen is the worst decision samsung made and not just because it's very reflective. Many people on newegg have had this issue too, this baby is going back sadly as this was a great deal at $800 but I cannot be bothered with removing the glass and cleaning the debris (and if my experience with screen protectors is any indicator removing the glass will only trap more debris in the process). The ASUS it is for now.

Last edited:
Back