Asus PA32UCG issue with 1080Ti DP1.4? Can't get 12bit Full 4K 120Hz with FreeSync on

Sitti_S

n00b
Hello,

I have just received my new expensive monitor Asus PA32UCG. I'm still using old 1080Ti GPU. I'm connecting them with DP1.4 with freesync on. Everytime I set refresh rate 4K 120Hz, color drops to 8 bit, 422, limited. In order to get 10 bit full, I have to set 4K 60Hz. I updated monitor to latest firmware. Is this the issue caused my old GPU? Is it time to upgrade my GPU to 3000 series and use HDMI2.1?

Linus seemed to have the exact same problem with he reviewed this monitor.
https://linustechtips.com/topic/135...cg-mini-led-do-full-rgb-4k-120hz-despite-dsc/

Thanks

I think I just found the answer to my question. 10-series cards doesn't support DSC. 20-series are the first ones from nVidia that support DSC. So my 1080ti doesn't support DSC, that's why setting my monitor to DP1.4 DSC didn't make any difference. Time to upgrade my card to 30-series. Upgrading to this new monitor is getting more expensive lol

I think I just found the answer to my question. 10-series cards doesn't support DSC. 20-series are the first ones from nVidia that support DSC. So my 1080ti doesn't support DSC, that's why setting my monitor to DP1.4 DSC didn't make any difference. Time to upgrade my card to 30-series. Upgrading to this new monitor is getting more expensive lol
Actually, it looks like there was a firmware update to enable Displayport 1.3/1.4 for Pascal cards. Displayport 1.4 added supported for DSC so it should work.

Nvidia Displayport 1.3/1.4 Firmware Update

Having used the monitor, it's a bit quirky/buggy at times. After updating your GPU's firmware, try this on the monitor:

1. First, go to the monitor's OSD and go to the "System Setup."
2. Go to "DisplayPort Stream" and choose "DisplayPort 1.4 DSC".
3. Let the monitor do its thing and then, go back to the OSD and go to the "Image" section.
2. Go to "Rendering Mode" and enable it.
3. After the monitor shows a display, immediately go back to the OSD for the monitor, go to "Image" -> "Rendering mode" and disable it.
4. Go to Nvidia control panel and now 120 Hz, 10 Bit color, RGB, Full and 4:4:4 will be available to select.

Now, not saying you shouldn't upgrade to the 3000 series, especially since prices have become a lot more reasonable now. But I don't think you'll need to in order to get the full 4K120 HDR experience. With Nvidia Ada Lovelace tentatively coming out this year, you may want to wait till then.

Last edited:
Actually, looks like there was a firmware update to enable Displayport 1.3/1.4 for Pascal cards. Displayport 1.4 added supported for DSC so it should work.

Having used the monitor, it's a bit quirky/buggy at times. After updating your GPU's firmware, try this:

1. Go to the monitor's OSD and go to the "Image" section.
2. Go to "Rendering Mode" and enable it. The monitor will flicker and do its thing.
3. After the monitor shows a display, immediately go back to the OSD for the monitor, go to "Image" -> "Rendering mode" and disable it.
4. Go to Nvidia control panel and now 120 Hz, 10 Bit color, RGB, Full and 4:4:4 will be available to select.
Thanks for your advise

I remember updating the firmware a few year ago, but just to make sure I downloaded and ran the firmware update. It showed a message says my video card is already updated. I tried what you suggested, unfortunately it didn't work.

I was looking through old info around and found:
"DSC is an optional component of Displayport 1.4, not mandatory.
It is not supported in the Displayengine on pascal devices."

Even with firmware updated 1080ti to support DP1.4, it still doesn't support DSC:(

I thought I remembered hitting full 8bit at 4k/120 on my 1080ti. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
I can confirm that PA32UCG supports 4K 120Hz at 10bit RGB via DP 1.4. However this requires recent firmware for the monitor and graphics card with DSC. 12bit is available only via HDMI connection.

control_panel 10.04.2022 22_30_24.png

Thanks!! I really need to upgrade my 1080ti since it's "sort of DP1.4" doesn't support DSC.

If I want to get 12bit, I need to used HDMI 2.1. Will Gsync still works with Nvidia 30-series via HDMI 2.1? If not, maybe I should go with AMD since it's freesync works via HDMI.

Thanks!! I really need to upgrade my 1080ti since it's "sort of DP1.4" doesn't support DSC.

If I want to get 12bit, I need to used HDMI 2.1. Will Gsync still works with Nvidia 30-series via HDMI 2.1? If not, maybe I should go with AMD since it's freesync works via HDMI.
Depends on the type of g-sync. If it's hardware g-sync it's DP only. If it's 'gsync compatible' (software) it'll work over HDMI.

I just bought and installed 3080 Ti via HDMI 2.1. Now it is showing 4K 120hz 12 bit RGB Full with g-sync compatible:D

And wow, performance gain is huge!!

Thanks for replies everybody.

Great to hear. If you have Netflix, a console or a streaming device like Nvidia Shield Pro, you should update to the latest FW for the monitor if it is older than MCM106/MCM206. 106/206 added supported for Dolby Vision. Not the most critical thing but nice if you have supported devices.

Thanks for mentioning the MCM206 firmware upgrade. I was still running 203 from May of last year. Nice to have Dolby Vision!

I just bought and installed 3080 Ti via HDMI 2.1. Now it is showing 4K 120hz 12 bit RGB Full with g-sync compatible:D
Great! Could you check if Dolby Vision also works via HDMI 2.1? On mine after enabling Dolby Vision from OSD menu the HDMI1 port suddenly limits its bandwidth to HDMI 2.0 standard and max I have is Dolby Vision at 4k 60Hz 8-bit! WTF ?!?
If I use Display Port it's better. The only problem is 60Hz limit in EDID table but it's easy to add missing 120Hz from the driver.

I haven't tried DV on HDMI 2.1, just DP, but I assumed it was purposefully built-in by Asus. It was a moot point because I could never get the handful of DV enabled games to work with it. It became a mode I only used with streaming services and 120Hz isn't useful there.

I haven't tried DV on HDMI 2.1, just DP, but I assumed it was purposefully built-in by Asus. It was a moot point because I could never get the handful of DV enabled games to work with it. It became a mode I only used with streaming services and 120Hz isn't useful there.
Fine but it's not only about 120Hz. It is also impossible to play HDR DV content in 4K60Hz. To do this via HDMI1 I have to use 4K30Hz when HDR10 works fine at 4k120Hz 12bit via HDMI1. Something is wrong here.

Fine but it's not only about 120Hz. It is also impossible to play HDR DV content in 4K60Hz. To do this via HDMI1 I have to use 4K30Hz when HDR10 works fine at 4k120Hz 12bit via HDMI1. Something is wrong here.
Oh, I wasn't saying that it's not an issue - just that I didn't bother looking into the 60Hz limitation too much due to not being able to get any games to work with DV. Considering the number of firmware updates Asus has released, maybe reporting it to Asus support will get it looked at and patched. I'll also check out HDMI 2.1 with DV and see what it does.

... Considering the number of firmware updates Asus has released, maybe reporting it to Asus support will get it looked at and patched.
I've been in contact with Asus support for 6 weeks. Few days ago they offered third replacement of the monitor because of infinite list of issues with first two pieces. BV HDMI1 issue is a new thing so i'll inform them after Easter holidays. First two were made in April 2021. First one had issues with overheating that caused FALD flashing. Both have strange elliptical pressure mark that is visible not only on dark pictures but also on bright:
elipsa na ciemnym 1 small.jpg
elipsa na jasnym small.jpg

However after 10 days this mark started to degrade but is still visible. Asus support claims that the pressure mark is not acceptable in ProArt series and is the main reason for third replacement.
Also very often when I set 50Hz or 100Hz at 4K via HDMI1 the monitor freezes and i have to switch it off and on. Other ports and frequencies works fine...
FALD is not synced properly at 60Hz. It produces heavy strobe effect(very annoying!) when larger area of pixels switches from bright color to dark. 98Hz and higher or 30Hz and lower seems to be synchronized properly.
Aspect Ratio option is useless - after using all animations will have unpleasant stuttering. Requires switching off and on the monitor every time after using the option to restore fluid animation.
I was unable to do calibration for HDR presets. Figured out that when I downgrade to MCM105 calibration works! Strangely when I upgraded again to MCM106 it is still working :)
Switching Input Range option in HDR modes ends with black image and have to switch it off and on to revive the monitor.
Ambient sensor is useless - always produces the same dark image.

This are not all issues I have but the most annoying I think.

I'll also check out HDMI 2.1 with DV and see what it does.
Thanks! It doesn't require any DV content to play. Just enable the option in OSD menu and it should limit HDMI1 to 2.0.

Last edited:
Great! Could you check if Dolby Vision also works via HDMI 2.1? On mine after enabling Dolby Vision from OSD menu the HDMI1 port suddenly limits its bandwidth to HDMI 2.0 standard and max I have is Dolby Vision at 4k 60Hz 8-bit! WTF ?!?
If I use Display Port it's better. The only problem is 60Hz limit in EDID table but it's easy to add missing 120Hz from the driver.
It's the same over here. My monitor is updated to latest firmware. Once I turn on DV, it drops to 4k 60Hz 8bit RGB. When I have time, I'll try connecting Xbox Series X directly to HDMI2.1 on this monitor. Windows or/and Nvidia might be the problem.

Got my PA32UCG yesterday. Update the firmware to MCM106 with Dolby vision on. It's connected to my 3080ti with the supplied display port cable. I'm getting 60hz as well. It does give the option to increase to 4k 120hz when DV is turned off. It kind of defeats the purpose of the monitor if you want to game with it.The display port stream under system set up is greyed out and remains greyed out with both DV on and off. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm waiting for a response from ASUS AU.

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_184802.jpg
    IMG_20220807_184802.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 0
Got my PA32UCG yesterday. Update the firmware to MCM106 with Dolby vision on. It's connected to my 3080ti with the supplied display port cable. I'm getting 60hz as well. It does give the option to increase to 4k 120hz when DV is turned off. It kind of defeats the purpose of the monitor if you want to game with it.The display port stream under system set up is greyed out and remains greyed out with both DV on and off. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm waiting for a response from ASUS AU.
Dolby Vision 120Hz needs to wait.
Dolby format has tone mapping of its own, which can hammer the image quality further if it goes back to 422. ASUS needs to work with Dolby to get higher refresh rate without losing reference image quality.
When you update from 106 to 107, the G-sync compatible is gone. It needs another Nvidia driver update as well.
Even worse, at 120Hz, the monitor has banding issue, 10-bit depth or gradient/banding test won't pass.

The Dolby version is also YCbCr444 format with 8bit depth, not 10bit. So PA32UCG has a Dolby labeled tone-mapping, 60Hz, 8-bit "HDR" that doesn't have 10-bit HDR color.
If my prediction is right, this is the max hardware capability ASUS can support. No more firmware updates can enable more than 60Hz without sacrificing color accuracy.

Last edited:
Back