Asus PA248Q and Dell U2412M

So it's out for delivery in a different state.
Glad to see Buy.com still has phenomenal delivery service.

Last thing I ordered from them (A Sansa Clip, couple years ago) took the longest out of any delivery in recent memory, almost 2-weeks. If a company cannot ship the next day with a reputable carrier I won't even bother anymore :eek:.

It's out for delivery in Vancouver.

Best case: Wrong state.
Worst case: Wrong country.

Fear not - that's probably where their nearest service center is. My last order from them said "Sacramento - Out for Delivery" when I'm 65 miles from there. It showed up at noon when UPS doesn't usually show up until 4PM.

I got it, and I'm returning it. It has a very uneven color temperature across the panel. The right hand side is much warmer.

T8RdP.jpg

Last edited:
Well dont most LCDs have uneven color temperature across the panel? care to take some more pics?

I got it, and I'm returning it. It has a very uneven color temperature across the panel. The right hand side is much warmer.

Pretty much what I noticed with mine - pinkish whites and violet blues on the right third of the screen. Not to mention the four bleeding corners.

Well dont most LCDs have uneven color temperature across the panel? care to take some more pics?

Well yeah, to an extent. But nothing this pronounced. I've already mailed it back. I mean, this was so pronounced that the moment I fired up Chrome I just said to myself, "whoa, that's so bad, no way I'm using this". I immediately hooked my Planar back up, which has a bit of a variance, but it's not even in the same universe.

Last edited:
So my options:

1) U2410.
2) ZR2440w (though I'm guessing it's the same panel as this).
3) Find a PX2611W (Edit: Not hard to find, Newegg has them).
4) Wait for the IPS277L.
5) S24A850.
6) Wait for the U2713.
7) Try again with the PA248Q.
8) Catleap/Crossover with scaler.

I dunno. Nothing jumps out at me. I'm looking for that panel that I could end up using for the next 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
I'm looking for that panel that I could end up using for the next 3 or 4 years.

This is exactly what makes it so hard to commit to one and overlook its flaws (and every monitor has them). When you have to stare at something that long it can make you very picky (and rightly so).

This is exactly what makes it so hard to commit to one and overlook its flaws (and every monitor has them). When you have to stare at something that long it can make you very picky (and rightly so).

Absolutely. You said you ended up with a U2412, right? How do you like it? Uniform?

I'm toying with the idea of getting that and keeping my 27 inch TN for consoles. I just feel like if I do that, I may as well gamble on one of the Korean displays.

Newegg also has the 2711 on sale for $700 this weekend. I could probably swing it if I wasn't waiting for a refund on the Asus. :\

Last edited:
You said you ended up with a U2412, right? How do you like it? Uniform?

I like it for the most part. The screen is very uniform. When Windows boots all I see is a smooth black screen with only a hint of the usual IPS glow in the bottom corners. Much better than the ASUS was. The stand adjusts the same way, but the ASUS was sturdier and smoother in operation - definitely liked it better. My only gripe with it is the AG coating. Its generally unnoticeable in daylight and in gaming, but at night when I'm reading mostly light/white webpages I can see it. Its not horrible - text is still sharp, but if I think about it and look for it I can see it. Its just like the ASUS though - same LG applied coating. Think I'm going to keep it - again, no monitor is perfect. If I didn't I'd probably wait a few weeks for that Nixeus 27" glossy IPS:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286519/nixeus-vue-27-s-ips-2560x1440-led-monitor-nx-vue27-usa-brand

That would be my only other option at this point - supposed to be available late this month. Have no idea about 1:1 scaling with it though.

Just play RPGs and MMOs - response time seems perfectly fine to me.

I might just try a TV, too. That's something else I've toyed with for a while. The LG 32CS560 in particular, S-IPS, 4:4:4 and low input lag.

My pa248q had some annoying backlight bleed on the lower right. I also noticed the pinkish white towards the edge of the screen but its hard to notice so it didn't bother me. If it wasn't for that bleed on the lower right, I would have kept it. Such a nice display.

Anyways, amazon is cross shipping a replacement. They have the best customer service, glad I waited for them to stock it.

My pa248q had some annoying backlight bleed on the lower right. I also noticed the pinkish white towards the edge of the screen but its hard to notice so it didn't bother me. If it wasn't for that bleed on the lower right, I would have kept it. Such a nice display.

Anyways, amazon is cross shipping a replacement. They have the best customer service, glad I waited for them to stock it.

I exchanged three of them but all of them have bleeding on the edges, so it cannot be avoid. Other than the bleeding issue, this monitor is the best matte ips monitor i have ever used. The matte coating is perfect, not grainy at all. Hands down!

My wife's Dell U2412M has a little bright spot on the lower right. I'm not sure if this is bleeding or typical IPS glow.

Last edited:
I went and looked at the ASUS at compusa today, wow you guys complaining about the AG are getting a little nuts, its not anywhere even close to as bad as the U2711 level of AG. How is the Dell compared to the ASUS, do they have the same AG? If so im going for the Dell for sure.

I asked the editor of this monitor review website that question - he said they are the same LG panel using the same 3H AG coating.

http://pcmonitors.org/reviews

I've had both of them this past month. I couldn't see any difference between them as far as "sparkle" goes.

Last edited:
Hi,
I wanted to buy a PA248Q but someone said to me that PA246Q is better (more AdobreRGB?) than the newer version. Is it true and PA245Q is really better choice ?

So know one has any idea if its a 6 bit or 8 bit panel? I have seen tons of reviews but none mention the color on the panel...

Hi,
I wanted to buy a PA248Q but someone said to me that PA246Q is better (more AdobreRGB?) than the newer version. Is it true and PA245Q is really better choice ?

If you like over saturated and inaccurate colours (sun burned red+pink skins tones) and poor black levels, then yes. It's a wide gamut display, they are intended for use with colour managed applications for various types of work.

Games and movies are intended to be viewed on sRGB displays, and the PA248Q is an sRGB display with much better contrast/blacks than the PA246Q.

So know one has any idea if its a 6 bit or 8 bit panel? I have seen tons of reviews but none mention the color on the panel...

I'm pretty sure you have been told many times that it doesn't matter.

They both use 6 bit panels with 8 bit "up-conversion" or whatever they call it. You wont notice a difference in normal use.

If you like over saturated and inaccurate colours (sun burned red+pink skins tones) and poor black levels, then yes. It's a wide gamut display, they are intended for use with colour managed applications for various types of work.

Games and movies are intended to be viewed on sRGB displays, and the PA248Q is an sRGB display with much better contrast/blacks than the PA246Q.

Assume that I will use monitor mainly to programming, internet browsing, sometimes for photo editing (my small hobby, I know that we cannot print AdobeRGB photos), and finally for moves and games (maybe xbox360). Which one should I choose in your opinion?

Great thanks for the reply. NCX was useless as always.....

Assume that I will use monitor mainly to programming, internet browsing, sometimes for photo editing (my small hobby, I know that we cannot print AdobeRGB photos), and finally for moves and games (maybe xbox360). Which one should I choose in your opinion?

If you don't need the extended colour space & want normal colours+good black levels the PA248Q is a much better choice, especially since it has lower input lag (6.5ms vs 18ms).

If you don't need the extended colour space & want normal colours+good black levels the PA248Q is a much better choice, especially since it has lower input lag (6.5ms vs 18ms).

Prad.de measured the U2412M at 7.4ms. Again, I had both sitting in front of me. There was no noticeable between the two as far as latency or responsiveness goes. I kept the U2412M for the more uniform panel. It also has better contrast and deeper blacks (I had them both calibrated with a Spyder4 Elite).

I spent a lot of time looking at the U2412m today in a local Micro Center - it's an outstanding display, it reminds me of my HP LP2475w, they are similar in image quality. The Dell tends to push a "bluer" look due to it being LED based. I was very impressed with the Dell, it's a very sharp and detailed looking display. The color reproduction on the multimedia settings for games was exceptional - I did not notice the reverse ghosting that review sites mentioned, the image response time seemed excellent. I used to have a U2711 (horrible - hated it), and the U2412m looks MUCH better IMO, clearer and more defined image and colors.

Prad.de measured the U2412M at 7.4ms. Again, I had both sitting in front of me. There was no noticeable between the two as far as latency or responsiveness goes. I kept the U2412M for the more uniform panel. It also has better contrast and deeper blacks (I had them both calibrated with a Spyder4 Elite).

We were talking about the Asus models and she/he plays console games so the 8Q is a better option.

How big of a job would it be to take off the AG coating on either of these?

For me, it's either that, or get the Samsung S24A850D (which I'd rather not).

There is far less risk buying a 300-400$ glossy 1440p Korean model vs removing the AG on one of these. If you mess up the AG removal, say good bye to your $ vs the slight hassle to return/exchange a Korean model

Sorry, NCX, forgot the PA246Q was introduced by Tommy into the thread when I replied (and he wasn't asking about the Dell).

There is far less risk buying a 300-400$ glossy 1440p Korean model vs removing the AG on one of these. If you mess up the AG removal, say good bye to your $ vs the slight hassle to return/exchange a Korean model

I was talking about the monitors of the thread subject - both of which are 24". Ideally, I'd like a 24" glossy IPS 1920x1200. Seems the only option is to buy a matte 24" 1920x1200 and take the AG coating off.

Your comment made me think of a question though: Is a matte monitor with its AG removed simply the same thing as a full glossy monitor? Or is there a slight difference?

I've got three of these side by side and I wouldnt trade them for anything except 3x HP ZR30W's but I cant afford those @ a thousand a pop.

Just got my U2412M today, it's really nice. Yes, the AG is aggressive, but it's NOT U2711 aggressive, not at all. Personally I would rather have a slightly aggressive matte then a glossy, I hate glossy. The colors are good and so is the contrast. I really really like the 16:10 as well, I missed this aspect ratio as I've had 16:9's for a long time now. Honestly this feels like a proper sequel to the 2005fpw I had in college for years and was in love with. I still need to configure it, all I did was lower the brightness a tad and leave it on standard but it gets a thumbs up so far!

So as far as gaming is concerned, there's little to choose between the U2412M and the PA248Q? The former is considerably cheaper here in the UK, so if both perform about the same I might as well get the Dell.

For PC gaming only get the Dell, if you want to play console games too get the Asus since it has 1:1 pixel mapping=no 16:9 resolution stretching.

Thanks, NCX. Yeah, it's just PC games.

Just out of interest, if I watch DVDs or Blu-rays on the Dell, will whatever software I use to play the discs have an option to keep the aspect ratio (be it 16:9 or whatever)? Like, is it really just console games that would definitely be stretched? I may start watching films on my new PC so this is of interest to me.

For PC gaming only get the Dell, if you want to play console games too get the Asus since it has 1:1 pixel mapping=no 16:9 resolution stretching.

Since the U2412M doesn't have 1:1 pixel mapping, how does it do Hor+ for pc games? I don't mind black bars across the top and bottom, but I don't want distortion or loss of image. I'm concerned because the new standard seems to be hor+. Like I said, I don't mind the black bars for games, but I want them to look right.

Back