Asus P9X79 PRO + Xeon E5-2667 v1 - Does this combo work?

Hi,

I have an Asus P9X79 PRO motherboard and have managed to obtain an Intel Xeon E5-2667 v1. The Asus website mentions that the board supports the v2 version of this CPU. Does anyone know if the v1 version will work?

Many thanks!

Most probably it will run. Since the board supports Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs, the necessary microcodes must exist in the BIOS.

Hi all,
Good news - the E5-2667 worked absolutely fine out of the box - the board arrived with the 1104 BIOS. All of my 8GB DDR3 DIMMS were detected too without issue.

After finding the Arctic Freezer 33 Plus being too fiddly to install, I initially used an BXTS13A cooler that I bought for the i7 3820 that came with the board. Oddly, it was idling at 55C on the first evening I got the machine up and running. By the second evening, it was running at around 42C - much better. However, I really wanted a proper Xeon cooler, so have now installed a SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4 cooler. Temps are the same as the Intel cooler.

I initially had issues with the graphics card driver crashing under Windows 10 - it's an AMD R9 380-based card. Last night, I flashed the board using the BIOS Converter and then flashed to the 4107 BIOS. Cleaned out the AMD drivers and reinstalled version 18.51. So far, all is good and the system feels smoother and more stable after the BIOS update.

Back