ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Boot Issues

Kohl,
Yes the Raid0 is on the Intel 6G ports. When I loaded Windows, the only drives hooked up where the 2 Kingston SSD and a DVD drive. I set the Kingstons to Raid when I first entered Bios (603), also set the DVD as the first boot device. Other than that, the only thing I messed with was to set the fan monitor to ignore the CPU fan ( I have a Noctua NH D-14 SE and the fan runs too slow for the monitor). I then rebooted and passed BIOS. When the Intel screen came up showing the 2 drives on the Intel ports, press CTRL I. Set them to Raid0 and rebooted and let it go thru to the DVD drive (I think I had to press the any key to actually boot to the DVD drive).

I wound up installing windows twice. I messed up the first time (user error) and simply did the CTRL I thing again and broke up the array, rebooted and recreated the array). One other thing I did was disable the Marvel controller. I don't know if the Marvel controller was causing some of my original issues or not. but, Marvel controllers and I have an agreement. We hate each other! I still have it disabled. After I get everything stable I may mess with it. I have the Intel 510 and a VeloviRaptor on it, but not running yet. I may play with the SSD cache thing later.

Bob

Kohl,
I get a slightly different log message when the screen goes black and a pop up says "Nvidia driver quit working".

Level Date and Time Source Event Id Task Category
Warning 12/5/2011 9:36:34 PM Display 4101 None

Details
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Researching this now.

Bob

Kohl,
There are 38 pages in a thread on the Nvidia forum on this topic. If I remember right the thread was started back in August and continues thru last Saturday. The best guess is that the "Nvidia driver quit working" has to do with either the drivers or overclocking the video card. Since I am not overclocking the Video card, I'll go with drivers.

The suggestions that worked for "some" people were:
  1. Revert back to 275.33 drivers and do a clean install.
  2. Then go into "Manage 3D settings" and under the "Program Settings" tab find "Power Management mode". Set this from adaptive to "Maximum performance" for each program in the drop box.
  3. Some folk have also gone to the "Set PhysX configuration" tab and in the "Select a PhysX processor" tab, select your video card.

I cannot verify that any of this works. I just did all three items and will let you know what happens.

Bob

Hi Monk,

Thanks for the update! I did some more testing tonight and did the following:

- Removed GTX580 and installed a low end nvidia card; ran prime95, checked back about 10 minutes later and system had hard locked with frozen display. Reinstalled GTX580, but at least ruled out that video card is the culprit.

- Removed 4 sticks of my RAM, referring to layout suggested in motherboard manual.

- Per the following post on Nvidia forums (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=216187&st=20) I added the reg key for TdrDelay setting it to 10:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368

I've been logged back into windows with 2 RDP sessions and WoW running in the background for a few hours now and have had no issues; that said, it seems the issues are when I leave the PC running overnight so I will check your suggestions. Maybe it is some sort of power saving issue?

On a separate note, regarding RAM, does anyone have info on what Asus officially supports with regards to full population of all 8 DIMM banks? If I am reading their chart correctly, there is very little they do support if you want to populate them all:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-WS/Manual&QVL/P9X79_WS_Memory_QVL_111110.pdf

This is the only product I found in stock at Newegg, that is actually reasonably priced:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460&Tpk=F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Just wanted to update that my system ran all night without locking up or throwing display driver errors. If I go all day without issue I will focus on the RAM as being a possibly culprit; I will try switching in the 4 sticks I took out with the ones in there now, and if those work.

Kohl,
Interesting, but not surprising there might be a RAM issue. What I do not understand why the issues seem to occur when the systems are basically idling and not when running full bore.

After rolling back the Nvidia drivers to 275.33, I have not seen the "Nvidia Driver has quit working" message. I did have two lockups (one required a hard reset). Both lockups occurred when I was composing an email. I also had one recently installed program (Quicken 2012) which errored out when trying to open.

Bob

Yeah I do not get that either. I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet; I want to confirm if it is flaky RAM or something with the population of all slots. I am also going to post on Asus's forums and try to determine if that RAM is supported or not.

In your sig it looks like you are running with 8 sticks as well; did you try running with just 4 in the A1, B1, etc slots?

No, still have all 8 sticks in. I may run home this afternoon and "work from the house" and try 4 or even 2.

Bob

I've got all the slots populated (with 2 different kinds of RAM) with no issues. I originally had only 4 slots populated and there were no issues either. FYI, originally I had 16GB of G.Skill Eco kit ([email protected]) and this weekend I added another 16GB of G.Skill Sniper low voltage kit ([email protected]), channels A&B are at 1.35V and channels C&D are at 1.25V with no issues, although I am not driving the RAM very hard (rated speed at 1600).

-Doug-,
I have absolutely the same problem as you. The computer refuses to boot very random, especially when remove power cable from the wall. When press power button, it can work for 1 sec, auto shutdown for 3-5 sec and start boot after that with wrong error code. But sometimes it’s boots without problem.
I have ASUS P9X79 Pro ( instead of Deluxe).
My spec:
MB: ASUS P9X79 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131800
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492
Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) F3-19200CL11Q-16GBZHD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231505
Cooler : Corsair H100 CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017&Tpk=Corsair H100
Case: APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144200
SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2CCA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148449
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182067
Video: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...k=HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950

When it has boot problem then LCD temperature numbers on my case show some garbage too.

-Doug-, please let me know if you will find any solutions.

Thanks.

I've got all the slots populated (with 2 different kinds of RAM) with no issues. I originally had only 4 slots populated and there were no issues either. FYI, originally I had 16GB of G.Skill Eco kit ([email protected]) and this weekend I added another 16GB of G.Skill Sniper low voltage kit ([email protected]), channels A&B are at 1.35V and channels C&D are at 1.25V with no issues, although I am not driving the RAM very hard (rated speed at 1600).

Yeah that is why I am wondering if it isn't some kind of compatibility issue with the RAM I am using; not sure yet, I need to confirm first by trying both sets of 4 sticks. I guess it could always be a faulty DIMM socket as well, which would really suck as I don't want to rip the board out and RMA it :(

Ugh.. sorry to hear that man :( It sounds like you have a bad board or CPU for sure. That is really rotten. I love hardware but man, the initial build is so stressful if for no other reason than the hassle of dealing with RMA.

@Doug
I find it as a positive outcome that ASUS had no inventory in stock to send you (allegedly). That means you MAY be getting from a new batch run.
0083b + Auto = UNknown never tried it.
0901 + Auto = NO COLD BOOT and stable with 16gb and 32gb @ 2133 or 2400
0901+ Hynix Profile 16gb = NO COLD BOOT and STABLE at 2133 or 2400
0901 + Hynix Profile 32gb = NO COLD BOOT and Unstable without 1.71v RAM 2400. 2133 stable at 1.65V
0083b + Hynix Profile 16gb = Cold boot problem Randomly but once in Windows Stable.
0083b + Hynix Profile 32gb = Cold boot always Hynix profile stable but only at 2133mhz not 2400 mhz. 2400mhz requiring 1.725 RAM volts.

I can now confirm my cold boot issue is fully resolved with the settings noted in my last post.
Even better, I am now back at 5Ghz with ram at 2133
I will try for 2400mhz when I get home from work tonight.

Originally Posted by pazza316 View Post
The 20uf setting made the most difference for me mdzcpa
I agree...this was the key.

I will slowly tweak the voltages around and try to settle them at the lowest workable values along with tightening the ram if possible.
On a final note, I want to thank Raja and Shamino for thier time. There is no other brand that even compares to this kind of support response. I made the right choice on this mobo and I couldn't be happier
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...pport-Thread&p=5009738&viewfull=1#post5009738

Last edited:
@Doug
I find it as a positive outcome that ASUS had no inventory in stock to send you (allegedly). That means you MAY be getting from a new batch run.

Yeah, I'm just gonna wait it out. If I have to wait 2 months then so be it. My computer works normally once it's booted, so it's not a huge issue. That's not to say I'm not pissed, I am, but what else can I do..

Oh and Corsair responded to my support ticket. They basically said, here's the RMA request forum. ...

Kohl,
Can you run the windows experience index? Mine errors out at the DIRECT3D 10 TEXTURE LOAD ASSESSMENT. Looking at the Winsat.log, it shows "CreateShaders failed to produce a valid shader cache".

Thanks,
Bob

Kohl,
Can you run the windows experience index? Mine errors out at the DIRECT3D 10 TEXTURE LOAD ASSESSMENT. Looking at the Winsat.log, it shows "CreateShaders failed to produce a valid shader cache".

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I will try when I get home. I know that when I looked at the assessment in computer properties, he had my system listed with a 7.8 overall so it must have run the assessment at some point. I will run it again and let you know.

I got the 7.8 as well. I was using the newest beta drivers on the sabertooth board.

@Bob,

I was able to run the Windows assessment successfully.

FYI, I have confirmed that my RAM is ok, I just can't run all 8 banks apparently :( Perhaps something that needs to be worked out with a BIOS update..

Thanks Kohl,
I have not seen a "Nvidia driver quit" for a while now (sounds like begging to be jinxed). The only thing I did as far as the video card was move the card around to a different slot and when I reloaded the drivers, I did a custom install and left out the 3D and Audio drivers.

Still need to investigate why the Window Experience Index keeps crashing.

Bob

Yeah I do not get that either. I don't want to jump to any conclusions yet; I want to confirm if it is flaky RAM or something with the population of all slots. I am also going to post on Asus's forums and try to determine if that RAM is supported or not.

In your sig it looks like you are running with 8 sticks as well; did you try running with just 4 in the A1, B1, etc slots?

Do you have quicktime installed?

I had the EXACT symptoms on this P9X79WS that you were describing, random nvidia kernel mode crashing when the system was basically at idle, half the times I clicked on a windows control panel or used remote desktop my cursor would get "stuck" on one screen and then be invisible, OR it'd turn into an artificated POS.

I re-installed windows and everything was perfect for a day. logged in this morning (it slept overnight w/o problem) and again everything was great.

Installed Quicktime and got a kernel mode crash within 10 minutes, followed by the same old same old. Uninstalled quicktime and removed every trace from the harddrive/registry... haven't crashed since.

Here's a component list:

P9X79WS
i7 3930K (with H80) @stock
32gb ddr3 (8 x 4gb gskill F3-12800CL9Q2-32gbzl)
4x Seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm sataII drives in Intel ports 1-4 (configured as a raid 10, RAID mode in bios w/ hotswap enabled)
1x LG dvd burner in Intel port 6
1x Corsair ForceGT 240gb in Marvell port1 (system drive)
1350w MaxRevvo PSU.
Gigabyte 570OC rev2.0 (the one with the massive cooler)

all slapped into an FT02.

It's been ~ 6 hours with no crash since un-installing quicktime. I have absolutely 0 idea how it could cause a problem, but so far it's looking like the culprit in my case.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like exactly the issue I was having. I don't recall if I had quicktime installed. I think my system was pretty unstable once I installed the Nvidia drivers so its hard to say what my trigger was. I posted on Asus's forums; I am really thinking it is a BIOS issue or setting with the RAM we are using. Let me know if you experience any more issues. I have been stable for a few days now; going to fill the rest of the memory banks tonight and give it one more go.

My ssd was having boot problems with the P9X79 board connected to my intel sata6 port running through my corsair 800d hotbays. Then out of frustration I just plugged my ssd straight to my sata6 without the using the hotbays, now everything just works. Hope that helps anybody :)

That's a known issue with the 800D hot-swap. I was worried about it but my raid 0 array is in the first and second hot-swap bays and seem fine.

My whole socket 2011 setup nearly got booted out the window because of that simple problem.

For some reason my corsair force 3 would not boot into windows when i had it plugged in through the hot-swap bays.

I dont want any part of my case becoming involved in anything electrical on my mobo or HW

That also goes for those plug in the top HDD SSD quick change docks

Just an update, it made it through the night with no errors or crashes. Looking more and more like quicktime isn't playing nice at this point.

I tried running with all 8 DIMMs populated again last night; went a few hours of heavy work but then rebooted the PC, and after logging into Windows got a black screen and lockup. I am hearing suggestions that running all 8 DIMMs might require boosting the memory voltage so I reached out to GSkill support for their recommendation.

I tried running with all 8 DIMMs populated again last night; went a few hours of heavy work but then rebooted the PC, and after logging into Windows got a black screen and lockup. I am hearing suggestions that running all 8 DIMMs might require boosting the memory voltage so I reached out to GSkill support for their recommendation.

I did try manually setting the voltage to 1.525v but it didn't improve the situation when I was crashing. Is the memory controller like the 1366 in that it can't take higher voltage? If I hit stability troubles again I'll try it with 6dimms (and if that works pony up the cash for four 8gb sticks.)

If you have got quicktime installed, was it working with 6 dimms?

Hi Capt,

I actually do not have Quicktime installed. I am running a very barebones install of Windows at the moment; basically I have Win7 updated with the latest patches, the Asus drivers and Probe utility and VMWare Workstation 8 and that is pretty much it.

I have reached out to G.Skill support to see if they have any suggestions. I am very nervous about cranking up the voltage to the memory if I don't have to. I would rather just RMA the stuff and get something that is confirmed to work (fully populated) on this board.

Thanks I will try boosting the voltage and let you know how it goes.

Just a note, ASUS seems to be aware of the issues that I've been having, and they seem to realize that it's not just me. From ASUS forums:

Hi Doug,

I work at the ASUS service center in Fremont, CA and our engineers would like to get your board back as well as your CPU if you're willing so we can do an analysis on the boot issues that you are having with this board.

Is this something you are willing to do?

DooKey,

You are the man (unless you happen to be a woman....). That did it for me, thank you very much! I ended up inching up on the voltage and settled on 1.14 which is stable so far.

Good deal. I'm glad it worked for you. I can't take credit for the idea since I was just passing along info I found on my search to stablize my own OC.

I finally have my P9X79 WS up and running. I have not seen a "Nvidia driver quit" error for a couple of days now. I wound up changing the PSU to a SeaSonic X-1250 and installed Nvidia 290.36 Beta drivers (clean install) and got rid of a bunch of trash using Ccleaner. So far so good this time. Right now the board seems solid and quick. At this moment I am a happy camper (probably just jinxed myself :) )

Bob

several sites have said its the best ever PSU so far
The 5VSB is very effecient and never goes under 5.0V
The voltage rails are virtually unmovable
And the whole honkin 12V wattage is on one rail
IMHO the rise time of the 5VSB is critical on these new mobo starting with P67
$250 bucks for the Platinum1000W is really a fair price
I think I'll get a 1000W, tho it is a bit longish
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/01/seasonic_platinum1000_1_kilowatt_power_supply_review/
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=264
http://www.guru3d.com/article/seasonic-1000w-platinum-power-supply-review/1
If you get one of these, you cant blame the PSU - lol

BTW where did you buy the 1250 - dont see any around
Oops: Since there are no 1250 Platinum out yet I assume you have the gold, forgot about that one

Last edited:
Back