ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Boot Issues

The CPU bootup voltage is this - have you tried 1.0 or 1.2 or 1.4V?
1607rps.jpg

I have tried 1.0, and the result I listed ~2 posts ago.

Edit: Now that it's Friday, I need some chill time. Gonna play some Skyrim and will definitely try out swapping PSUs later tonight.

Last edited:
Doug, for what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same issues as you... it's driving me nuts. :-/ Same rig, slightly different memory, same cooler, slightly smaller PSU

Doug, for what it's worth, I'm experiencing the same issues as you... it's driving me nuts. :-/ Same rig, slightly different memory, same cooler, slightly smaller PSU

Wow, in a way, I'm relieved. I don't feel alone anymore!

So, scurry, what do you plan on doing next? Replacing the motherboard? Have you contacted ASUS at all? Being that we both are experiencing the same issue with mostly different parts, I'm beginning to suspect the motherboard once again. Maybe I picked up a second dud at Microcenter when I tried to test another mobo out. With my luck, I'm not doubting it.

The only thing that is confusing me is as follows: If I did indeed get two motherboards with this same issue, then it would seem that the issue is fairly common (unless my luck really is absolute shit haha). Yet, you're the only other person who I've heard of having the same problems I am. Wonder why.

Doug, you should call newegg and explain to them that this motherboard is a complete piece of shit... I"m officially fucking finished with trying to make this motherboard work as expected. In my opinion, it's related to the sata controllers... I've noticed that booting off a usb stick I can now, no longer see any of my drives (even though they are visible in POST). Regardless if I'm right or wrong, it's 100% the motherboard, there's nothing else it could be.

http://i.imgur.com/W3KcW.jpg <--- this is error I'm now getting.

The BIOS is the latest, I've replaced all the cables, I've tried a different PSU, different GPU, different ram... it's not the BIOS settings, because it was running perfect before, with zero changes.

So pissed off... it's frustrating to see someone else having the exact same issue, yet asus takes zero responsibility. Fortunately I bought this on amazon, and I'm sending this flaming piece of shit back on Monday.

Hey guys. I wanted to hop in and share some issues I am having as well. Board is the P9X79 WS (bios 603) with the K (not EE) model CPU. Other salient components:

RAM: RipJaw Z 1600 DDR3 (2 kits for 32GB total, all banks filled)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231497

PSU: Corsair HX1050

Cooler: Corsair H100

GPU:
EVGA GTX580

SSDs: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 and Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G
The Crucial is the boot SSD in Intel 6G port #1. The Kingstons are in the Marvel 6G ports in a Raid0 config.

Saga began when I had issues getting Win7 to install. It would go through the 1st phase of copying and expanding files, but then at the first reboot I would get this:
http://numinous.servegame.org/misc/p9x79.JPG

I finally ended up plugging the Crucial into one of the 3G ports and Windows then was able to install. I then later moved the Crucial back to the 1st Intel 6G port.

The issues I then began experiencing were:
1. random 'freezing' of the mouse pointer; sometimes for just a few seconds but other times a complete lockup.
2. frequent crashing of the nvidia driver with Windows then recovering the driver. This happened a few times in just 5 minutes of testing WoW. At one point after a reboot I logged to a screen full of red graphical corruption.
3. Intel RSTe installed from the Asus CD will not load; I get a the message "an unknown error occurred with this application" and then I can close the error message.
4. Installed latest nvidia beta drivers and after reboot, the graphics card drives won't load due to them not being detected as digitally signed so I am running in VGA mode for now.

Downloaded memtest+ which ran for 3 hours and reported no errors. Ran Prime95 in VGA mode; system locked up after about 2 hours. I turned the H100 fans to highest setting and am currently running Prime95 once again. CPU temp is holding at 48C.

I have this sinking feeling due to just laying down quite a bit of cash, only to look over at my trusty i7 920 system which I swear is laughing at me. As Doug has experienced with his issues, the problems seem to be all over the place and not pointing to any one particular issue.
- RAM passes memtest so I'm loathe to replace the RAM.
- PSU should be providing more than enough power; I am not even running SLI but wanted to have headroom for down the road.
- Why was the GPU crashing over and over and is that indicative of anything?

I have some older Corsair Dominator sticks which I might try throwing in to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud here, but that chip is a monster, wonder if watercooling makes the thing contract and expand under heat/cold rollercoaster. All 3 here in this thrd using H100. I would try a mediocre HSF like the CM 212+ not evo. Latest come with the new 2011 bracket, offered free to anyone who bought one in the last 6 mo. Since you have spent a bundle already i would pop for the original Intel glycol cooler $80
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1784/1/

May be they are going to have to redesign the ziff socket?

@Kohl - you gotta dump that giant image - the link would be fine

Last edited:
yeah, but you are using the x-socket
but I am still confused, when using the x-socket do you or do not clamp the block to the top?
Pic of backside of mobo?

I think as long as the temps are fine there's no reason to worry. Regardless, here's a link with lots of good pics... grrr, seems like links aren't working properly. Keeps getting buggered. Hardware-Canucks has a good review of R4E with lots of pics.

Last edited:
Forget it... cannot link for some reason. Check page 7 for good pics.

Last edited:
Post edited; sorry for the huge pic.

When mounting the H100, I did not use any brackets or anything; just the thumbscrews as shown in the many youtube videos posted by Asusrog. I could try using a standard HSF but want to move to that as a last resort; as I understand it, the thermal paste that comes preinstalled on the H100 is really good quality and I would need to clean the block off totally and pick up some decent thermal compound to re-mount later.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't some kind of compatibility issue with SSDs. This is my first system using them and the problems I had getting WIndows installed in the first place are starting to lead me down that road. I might try a standard mechanical sata drive and reinstall, and see if that gets any results.

Is there any recommendation for using the Marvell vs. Intel 6G sata ports as the boot drive?

Last edited:
@armpit

hardforum is censoring the links

So you used the wrench that came with mobo to remove ziff socket? And rectangular backplate? Where did you get the X-contact backplate?

fw32v.jpg

65bfom.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom X-shaped backplate is the default backplate installed with the mobo, I just used that. The square one is the X-socket backplate.

The bottom X-shaped backplate is the default backplate installed with the mobo, I just used that. The square one is the X-socket backplate.

Oh. O.K.
So you have NO rectangular backplate avail that maybe came with box hardware?

I just booted up my x79 system for the first time today. I have the sabertooth board and have only had an issue with a bad ram stick. Bios says it's "abnormal" and windows doesn't seem to use it though it shows all 16gb in cpu-z.

Wish I had more ideas to help you guys.

since your mobo works (at least so far), a complete rundown of your equipment might help

Heh so far.... don't jinx me!

This is a 3930k, 4x4gb corsair dominator, windows 7 pro 64 on 2 patriot ssd in raid 0. PSU is the new Seasonic Platinum 1000. Water cooled with a XSPC raystorm block..... Asus 560ti and my trusty old TerraTec soundcard (I got the sabertooth specifically because it had a legacy PCI for this sound card).

Nothing out of the ordinary for this forum :)

Is there a known issue with the X79 chipset or Asus's P9X79 boards regarding OS installation using the Sata 6G ports? I have tried two different SSDs now and both times, the first reboot during the OS installation results in an error screen basically stating there are missing/corrupt files in the Windows installation. Tried both the Intel and Marvell 6G ports; same result. Installation from the 3G ports seems to be no issue.

I don't know about installation on SSD, but I'm running Windows from an SSD with no issues. However, I installed it long before I got the R4E, and even then it was on a regular drive and then just moved to the SSD.

I am cautiously optimistic that I have resolved the issues I was having.
I did the following:

1. In BIOS, set PCIe lane speed to generation 2 from generation 3 on the slot I was using.
2. Ditched the Crucial SSD; installed Kingston SSD in Sata 3G port and did a fresh install of Win7. Installed second Kingston SSD in Intel Sata 6G port as 2nd drive. I also have a 1TB drive in another 3G port.

So far so good; don't want to jinx myself but no video display driver crashes, lockups, etc.

Is your DVD on Intel port 6 - last SATA 3G on lowest/ bottom?
Do you have AHCI set in Intel SATA?
Yes
Do you have hot plug enabled in bios for 2 Intel SATA 6G ports?
Left at default settings
Did you turn off all other SATA controllers in bios during install?
Again, let at whatever is default so probably not.
Did you partition with Win 7 install by using custom install?
Yes; I always remove all/any existing partitions and let Windows create its own system partitions.
How did you setup partitions?
Removed all partitions in Custom install, highlighted drive for OS and clicked 'Next' to begin install.
Did you remember to format the actual partitions and not the 100mb reserved?
Again, I let Windows set all this up. I don't set up anything partition-wise during the install.

I will get back to you on the other stuff. One thing of note is that during my troubleshooting, at one point I used the provided Asus CD to create a driver disk for Intel AHCI/RAID and installed them onto a thumb drive. When I provided those drivers during setup, Windows would NOT allow me to install to any drive/SSD plugged into the Intel ports. Not sure what to make of that.

Again, at this point I am stable with OS SSD plugged into the first 3G port, second SSD plugged into the first 6G port and the DVD plugged into the last 3G port. I might try moving the OS SSD into the other Intel 6G port but in all honesty the system boots incredibly fast as it and with 32GB of RAM I'm just not really all that concerned about moving it at this point in time.

The Crucial is going the hell back to Newegg via RMA first thing Monday morning. More fail with that thing than a driving school for the blind...

Update from my end: I tried swapping out just about everything (except the CPU, and that will the the absolute last resort), and I'm going to assume it is indeed the motherboard. With my luck, and given that there's somebody here having the same problem, I don't doubt I got two duds in a row.

So, I called ASUS, and they are going to be cross-shipping me a new board. Hopefully everything will go well.

I also contacted Corsair support online, couldn't find their phone number. Waiting on a response from them still.

@Doug

Corsair Memory
46221 Landing Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538

T: +1 510-657-8747
F: +1 510-657-8748
Toll Free: +1 888-222-4346

Edit: lots more good input on the issue since I last gave you this link
Looks like Raja has gotten involved asking the guys for info and settings
Those guys seem to be confident it will be fixed and say its a killer board with easy 5GHz and 2133
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...Support-Thread&p=5006880&posted=1#post5006880

Last edited:
Doug, I'm very anxious to hear how things go for you.

It appears I spoke too soon regarding my issues and continue to experience system instability. Behavior is very odd; it almost seems like the video card could be going.
For example, I was in an RDP session and suddenly the mouse pointer became corrupted; like low rez, very grainy and then I would lose the mouse pointer entirely.... but it was still there, just invisible. Even after closing the RDP session, the corrupted mouse pointer was still there and If I moved my mouse down to the left corner, I could still activate the start button in Windows.

In another case, I was working with a fresh install of Windows and suspecting that it could be video drivers, I ran Windows update and just picked the Microsoft nVidia driver for the GTX580; windows immediately locked up upon install of the MS driver.

I then installed the nVidia drivers; changed my Windows theme to one of the ones Microsoft just posted (holiday lights) and upon the wallpaper changing, system locked, screen went black with some garbled pixels where the start button should have been.

As it turns out, I have a low end GeForce card which I am going to swap in and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, I am rapidly approaching the point where I may just RMA the motherboard, CPU and RAM back to Newegg for a refund and cut my losses.

I have been following this thread while I pull what's left of my hair out. I am pretty much down to the "Nvidia driver has quit working but has recovered" issue. I am thinking my old 750 watt PSU is just not up to all the stuff I have crammed into the box. Have a SeaSonic X-1250 coming, to see if that helps. Most of the Nvidia forums with the "driver quit working" issue point to PSU or flaky driver (already tried most of the drivers out in the past year). This does not seem to be limited to the X79 boards.

Bob

Hey there Bob,

So what are your system specs? I have considered the power supply as a possibly culprit; the odd thing is, when checking the event log on my system, I am seeing driver crashes at random times while the system is sitting idle so its not even like its under load or anything.

Even stranger, I was able to play WoW for a 2 hour session with absolutely no issues last night. The system then experienced a driver crash, according to logs, 2 hours later after I went to bed.. lol. Go figure.

Mine has been giving me the "Nvidia driver has quit" off and on. Often, as with yours, it is when the system is at idle. My 750 watt PSU is about a few years old, so I figured I was about due anyway. At least if this does not fix the issue, it will eliminate the possibility.

As noted below, I have the 3930k with 32 gb ram and there are 9 hard drives in the box. I would not think that would tax a 750 watt PSU, but what do I know. I read somewhere that the 3930k on these motherboards wants at least 80 amps on the 12v line. My old PSU could only supply 60. If it does not solve the problem, I can always use it for an arc welder!

Bob

Bob,

Sorry.. totally derped on not seeing your sig. I have another question for you - did you reinstall Windows when you built this system? I see you are using Raid0 for your OS drive; are those plugged into the Intel 6G ports? I had no luck getting Windows to install when using the 6G ports but I was using a single SSD in AHCI mode; I did not try setting it to RAID mode.

Second thing I am wondering; we do not have the exact same cards, but perhaps this is an issue with the WS and certain Nvidia cards? Which PCIe port do you have your vid card plugged into? I plugged mine into the second slot from the CPU as I wanted to leave a little room between the card and the CPU/RAM.

Just when I thought things were going well, I got an email from ASUS:

"I am sorry to inform you that there is no stock available for the advanced replacement. Please feel free to send it in for a regular rma."

...........Great, just... Great.

They didn't event asked me if I wanted to wait if it was in stock, they basically just gave me an RMA number and said "Here, ship it back". Hell no. The guy on the phone even told me that they WERE in stock for my RMA.

Last edited:
Another update: I called ASUS, and they said they won't have any in stock for at least 15 days, and that I should call back 15 days from now and ask again. You've got to be kidding me... I'm pissed off to the extreme right now.

Another update: I called ASUS, and they said they won't have any in stock for at least 15 days, and that I should call back 15 days from now and ask again. You've got to be kidding me... I'm pissed off to the extreme right now.

Yeah I would be to, with the cost of these LGA 2011 motherboards you shouldn't have to wait over 2 weeks to get a replacement when yours is defective. But you purchased from Newegg didn't you? Why you are even fooling with ASUS RMA department instead of sending it back to Newegg?

Back