ASUS P8Z77-V stuck in reboot loop with the CPU LED lit

The King of Pants

[H]ard|Gawd
So my new Ivy Bridge box, that's been up and running for almost a month to the day, spontaneously rebooted itself about 20 minutes ago and is now in a reboot loop, refusing to post.

The CPU LED is the only one that lights and then goes out after roughly 5 seconds when the system tries to restart itself again. My CPU has been clocked at a Prime95 stable 4.6 and I've never seen my temps go above 55 even under gaming load.

Should i start by pulling the CPU? Or is there other stuff i should try first? This is my 4th system build but the first time I've ever had one just stop working like this.

The build:
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD
ASUS P8Z77-V
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SATA III MLC SSD

Clearing CMOS broke the reboot loop, i was able to get in and updated the BIOS to the new one from last week. However, after 40 minutes the system rebooted and went back into a loop, this time with both the CPU and the the Memory LEDs lighting. So i'm thinking flaky mobo, I'm going to open an RMA w/ Asus tonight.

Well judging by the quality of service I'm getting so far, i'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a replacement while this RMA is plodding along. :mad:

I keep hearing good things about Gigabyte so i'm looking hard at the GA-Z77X-UD5H, are there better options out there in the $150-200ish range?

If that memory kit has an XMP profile, load it and see if that affects POST behaviour.

-Raja

Back