Asus p8Z77-V PRO SSD and HDD raid setup

Arcnite

n00b
Hi all,

I have an Asus p8Z77 coming in today for my new build and I was hoping to get some suggestions from some of you who may have worked with this board.

What I am wondering is if I will be able to use a SSD as my boot drive and raid together two HDDs for all of my other programs along with a single TB HDD for storage. These drives are being recycled from my current system and in my current setup I wasn't able to raid two and keep two single, it was all raid or all single.

Additionally, the p8Z77 has two different SATA controllers, Intel and ASMedia, so I am thinking this may be possible, but is one better to use for the SSD vs the other? Also, I should note that the SSD is rated for 6Gb/s while the other HDDs are only rated for 3Gb/s. Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

Summary:
p8Z77
1xSSD 128GB 6Gb/s - boot drive for Windows 7
2xHDD 250GB 3Gb/s - raid 0 for programs/games
1xHDD 750GB 3Gb/s - storage

I am also considering using the 2x250GB HDDs and the 750GB HDD for a raid 0+1. If I did that, would I be able to partition the leftover space on the 750GB to use as storage or would the raid consume the drive?

Edit: I realized, after posting, my thread title may be a bit confusing. Should have been "SSD boot with HDD raid"

Last edited:
For anyone who searched their way here or are curious, I found an answer to this question here.

Back