Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, SG08 Build

LucidVirtu-so goes the desktop cpu vga and graphics demanding applications will switch to classic vga - is that right?

Hi guys.

I have similar setup as some you have.

bergrisi.jpg

However... I'm having some temperature issues with my 3570K.

core_temp.png

Is that normal with the chassis fan set to High in a closed case? Would it make any difference if I get the TY-143 fan and replace it with the Noctua fan? (just like encode's setup?)

Or am I just being unlucky with the poor OC possibilities of my CPU?

I would say that's not normal at all and would recommend that you re-seat your heatsink on the cpu. Also, how many volts are you pushing through it to get that clock? Need to use CPU-Z to get that, don't trust Core Temp for voltage measurements.

Also, going off of the fact that your BCLK is 103.02, I'm going to assume that you did the ASUS auto tune overclock? If so, please reset your BIOS and learn to OC manually and skip out on that software - it's just not worth the pain it causes imo.

CPU-Z screenshot:

cpu_z.png

Yes you are right... I'm a newbie to OC so the only thing I changed in the BIOS was the multiplier and the bus speed.

Have you got any good references to ASUS OC guides?

Well, is your CPU-Z showing voltage during 100% load from prime95 or something?

Also here is a guide I recommend if you're new to OC'ing: http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

If you just did what you said in BIOS then you're probably still running auto for voltages correct?

If so that's why you're running hotter than you should, most times the auto voltage will slam LLC way higher than it needs, should only need 3, maybe 4 under extreme circumstances.

Good luck.

Yes... cpu-z shot is from 100% Prime95 load... and yes auto voltage was used.

I ran through the guide you provided... and ran Prime95 for 15 minutes.

cpu_z.png

core_temp.png

Does that make more sense to you?

Last edited:
Yes, that looks much much better, not sure if I asked before but what cooler are you using?

So what are you using now for voltage, offset, manual etc?

I'm using Noctua NH-C12P SE14.

Voltage is manually set to 1.200. I'm pretty happy with it right now... meaby I should try to increase the multiplier a bit and see how far I can take it.

Well that's definitely something to try with the multipliers :D

I would set a goal for yourself to get to offset voltage, currently you'll be running ~1.2v through your CPU constantly, even at idle.

If you can get a good offset voltage then you'll be all set; if I'm not mistaken going to the BIOS and changing the voltage mode from "Manual" to "Offset" will have the same voltage since you've already set your manual voltage it just converts that to the offset.

Hopefully I'm making sense.

Great build.

I been contemplating an itx rig similar to this.

You think a corsair h100i can be shoe horned in here?

Any other cooler you might recommend?

I used the H80i and I was able to fit it without moving anything. I also used the asrock board. The stock fan for the H80 is a bit loud at higher RPM.

I've seen it done, and I would assume it would be the same. Is it that hard to compare case sizes on the silverstone website?

Of course it's not. Things like screw holes may not match up, latches on the underside of the panel that hold the panel onto the frame, etc.. Was it hard to think of issues like that, that may come up when using a cover from one model on another?

I thought about it, but then realised if you pay attention to the design of the cases you could figure it out on your own instead of posting about it in several topics. It's cool though, I know not everyone can think for themselves. From what I've seen, the only difference between 07 and 08 is the front bezel. You could find the person who has done it, and ask them. I think they might have been on this forum.

Yeah, I figured the covers on both models would be interchangeable, but I wanted to make sure before buying both units. My client is very picky and I have to use my own money on this hardware then wait to be paid after the build is done.

If you have a problem with me posting the question in two different threads and you don't know for certain the answer to my question, why even bother to respond? Jackass...

If you have a problem with me posting the question in two different threads and you don't know for certain the answer to my question, why even bother to respond? Jackass...
Because you posted in multiple threads. I thought that was obvious? They are compatible, so go out and get one then give me half the profit on paypal. Cheers.

In OP's build, in order to fit the Corsair H80, did you remove the 180mm fan?

Were there 120mm mounting holes, or did you have to jerry-rig it in place?

Also, The top fan blow IN?

Seems like it would be fighting the laws of physics doing that. Wouldn't it be better to suck hot air up and out?

Just wanted to share my install experience with you all. I used an Antec Kuhler 620, and had to shave some of the backplate to clear some of the surface mount electronics on the bottom side of the motherboard. Other then that, install went smooth. Fits nice in the SG07. Check it out:
awc101

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums...q584/awc101/?action=view&current=IMG_0617.jpg
http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums...q584/awc101/?action=view&current=IMG_0619.jpg
http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums...q584/awc101/?action=view&current=IMG_0616.jpg
http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums...q584/awc101/?action=view&current=IMG_0620.jpg
http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums...q584/awc101/?action=view&current=IMG_0623.jpg

How id you attach the radiator to the bottom of the 180mm AP fan? Did you just zip tie it to the plastic fan grill of the 180mm fan?

How has that held up? From my experience with the 180mm AP fans in my Raven case, those plastic grill parts don't take TOO much force before breaking off.

I've picked one up, I believe you could squeeze a 3.5" drive in the top section just, you'd need to move some rails they added for the optical but you could get one in there.

PSU ships with only 3xSATA power plugs, so if you go dual SSD, dual 3.5" - you'd need a sata power splitter (they exist now)

Nice case overall, considering the size, I thought it would be harder to work on - not easy but workable for sure.

Back