Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, SG08 Build

The thing is i already have the matx setup for a week now. I want to try out the mini itx board just for a change and return the matx setup right now and get the op setup. I still want to stay with 2500k because i dont think its that worth replacing since its not that of a bug difference between IB and SB. As for the gpu, i already have the 670 from gigabyte. Its not a reference cooler so it will blow the hot air inside the case.

in that case, should probably go with a silverstone SG07 or 08, both great cases with decent side exhaust. don't really have any hard benchmark results for motherboard performance on the P8Z77-I, Z77E-ITX vs standard ATX configurations but they'll be more than sufficient for building a tiny gaming system with. I've seen benchmarks coming from inferior ITX boards with great framerates in recent games/high detail settings.

Having owned both boards... Do you recommend the ASRock one? It seems like the boot times on the ASUS board are sub-par, and the extra power handling doesn't do much in the real world. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies! xDD

Yes, I'd recommend the Asrock. I tested both boards with a 2600K & two 3570Ks and there was no difference in terms of max clocks or voltage(s) needed. The Asrock is cheaper, boots way faster, and I love the Good Night LED feature.

Yes, I'd recommend the Asrock. I tested both boards with a 2600K & two 3570Ks and there was no difference in terms of max clocks or voltage(s) needed. The Asrock is cheaper, boots way faster, and I love the Good Night LED feature.

Cool, definitely gonna grab one of these, 16gb g.skill ares, 3570k, kuhler 620, silverstone ft03 mini, evga 670 ftw, 450w gold psu.

Thanks again for the great feedback yo! xD

Would the H80 and its included fans be good enough or does getting two scythe pwm fans, for example, improve the cooling performance significantly in the SG08? I'm guessing Moogoos just chose the Scythe fans because he had originally planned to use them for the H60 and wanted to go ahead and use them with the H80. Am I right about that? I'm considering the SG08 in my next build and trying to decide if a H60 or a H80 would be a better way to go. The H80 has fan headers on the pump housing and I have never used that type of set up before so I'm wondering if one way is superior to another.

I have SG08 and both H60 and H80. I've found H80 much superior to H60. I tried BUNCH of fans and found that single Panaflo M1BX in pull configuration is the best in terms of cooling performance and SG08 installation - you just attach the rad directly to the chassis' "top plate" and the fan to the rad's bottom. Panaflo M1BX is thick (38mm) and thus provides unparallel static pressure. In addition, the most important part, this fan, unlike other 38mm fans, is really silent on low RPMs

attachment.php

Won't that blow hot air onto your motherboard? In my opinion it would be better as exhaust, as hot air rises naturally, the single fan would also be pushing air upwards out of the case, rather than pulling through the wider rad and dispersing hot air onto all of your components.

First of all you NEED an airflow across the MoBo. Secondly, this fan blows like a hurricane - the air is cold even at max overclock and max temps are pretty low (49C at Prime95...)

Makes sense. Any downward airflow would act as the original 180mm design and provide positive air pressure to help keep dust out. Thanks for the info. :)

Edit: Btw, how did you hook up the Panaflo power?

This fan has a standard 3-pin connector - just attached it to the 3-pin fan header on my motherboard. Also it is possible to connect it to the H80s fan controller! H80 can control speed for both 3-pin and 4-pin PWM fans.
As a note I get this fan from FrozenCPU, they did really nice custom sleeving for me, and, they sell Panaflos with 3-pin connectors by default.

This fan has a standard 3-pin connector - just attached it to the 3-pin fan header on my motherboard. Also it is possible to connect it to the H80s fan controller! H80 can control speed for both 3-pin and 4-pin PWM fans.
As a note I get this fan from FrozenCPU, they did really nice custom sleeving for me, and, they sell Panaflos with 3-pin connectors by default.

So I guess my final question would be that hooking it up to the H80's fan controller is just as good as hooking it up to the fan controller on the motherboard? Sorry about all the questions. Just trying to gleam what/how good the H80 built fan controller is compared to the motherboard fan controller. Again, thanks for the info. :)

So I guess my final question would be that hooking it up to the H80's fan controller is just as good as hooking it up to the fan controller on the motherboard? Sorry about all the questions. Just trying to gleam what/how good the H80 built fan controller is compared to the motherboard fan controller. Again, thanks for the info. :)
H80 has really nice fan controller! If you have an access to the motherboard - to push a special button on H80s pump to set low/med/high speed - it's good to use it! In addition, H80 has an external 4-pin MOLEX power, so using it will not touch the MoBo power. In practice this doesn't matter. But if you cannot access motherboard or your PC is far away, like mine, it's better to use the header on motherboard - since you can control the speed using special software that came with your motherboard. But, if your motherboard cannot control the speed of 3-pin fans (this thing can be) or it doesn't support 4-pin fans (PWM) the only way to go is use H80s fan controller! In addition, if you satisfied with H80 low profile performance (H80 will speed up the fan, according to liquid temperature) you can leave low speed setting alone and use it as is. I personally prefer manually set-up the speed according to my needs - lowest speed for movies and the highest speed for benchmarking and high CPU use tasks.

H80 has really nice fan controller! If you have an access to the motherboard - to push a special button on H80s pump to set low/med/high speed - it's good to use it! In addition, H80 has an external 4-pin MOLEX power, so using it will not touch the MoBo power. In practice this doesn't matter. But if you cannot access motherboard or your PC is far away, like mine, it's better to use the header on motherboard - since you can control the speed using special software that came with your motherboard. But, if your motherboard cannot control the speed of 3-pin fans (this thing can be) or it doesn't support 4-pin fans (PWM) the only way to go is use H80s fan controller! In addition, if you satisfied with H80 low profile performance (H80 will speed up the fan, according to liquid temperature) you can leave low speed setting alone and use it as is. I personally prefer manually set-up the speed according to my needs - lowest speed for movies and the highest speed for benchmarking and high CPU use tasks.

Okay, that explains things very nicely for me. Thanks. :)

Okay, and this is MY SG08+P8Z77-I DELUXE build. No cable management yet.

Just replaced the MoBo and instantly advanced with my 2700K to 5253 MHz (103x51)!!! :D

Ivy owners say you will max get 4.7? Nope, Sandy easily jumps over 5 GHz!!!

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die...

attachment.php

I've gotten enough components in my SG08 build to get started. First thing I'm gonna do is shorten and resleeve the PSU cables. Voided warranty yeah, but I don't care. I'm gonna take the ATX and EPS12v cables straight over the top of the psu and through the 3.5" hdd cage and straight down onto the motherboard connectors on my P8Z77-I. With the cables shortened to the right length, there will be no slack to have to try to hide. It should turn out pretty neat. Stay tuned as I start a build log of my own and detail my progress. :D

@encode
Where did you get that black I/O shield? (At least, it looks black in your photos, or maybe dark gray, perhaps a trick of the light?). Anyway, I've never seen one like that before. Did it come with the motherboard? Thx!

BTW, very nice build. Looking to do something similar myself someday...

I'm thinking about getting the i7 3770k or the i7 2700k for my build.
Sold my 2700k to a friend of mine yesterday. Was extremely happy with it. Ran it with the stock cooler in Sg08 @ about 30 degrees celcius.

I was running the integrated gpu (HD3000) so the HD4000 might be a minor upgrade for me. (just casual gaming on low resolution). But I really really liked the 2700k and the option to easily oc it without any extreme temps. (ran 4.7ghz on 45 degrees celcius)

The price on the 2700k is exactly like the 3770k here..
Decisions, decisions.

Btw. Have to purchase memory, ssd, cpu, motherboard..
Thinking about the Asus, 8gb x 2, vertex 4 128gb and the i7 3770/i7 2700k.

If you want the absolute highest clock rate numerical value (for some reason) then Sandy will deliver this. Temps will be always be higher with Ivy as has been posted over and over. However, if you're interested in building a practical machine to actually use day to day then the lower power consumption and greater GFX power makes Ivy the correct choice - especially for SFF.

Don't focus too much on core temp comparison with other chips - it's also just a number. With SUGO 06, P8Z77-I, and i5-3570K, I have set max turbo to 4Ghz , vcore is set to go to 1.15 at full load, but at idle the air cooled rig draws only 30W (with HD4000 I've yet to need a graphics card).

Could you guys say if it would be better to replace sg08 regular psu with my soon-to-be-surplus Corsair VX550W?

There is Finnish review of the SG08 case and in that article the Silverstone PSU did not fare well, the components were said to be pretty cheap..

I don't know where that Finnish review got its information from, but the 600w PSU in the SG08 has always been good, and reliable, from what I gather. No need to replace it.

wow, nice pics and all. I felt like SG07/08 was not designed for liquid cooling, first because of the airflow some1 mentioned up there, second because of that awkward 180mm AP fan, kind of in the way to use liquid cooling

Will Gainward Phantom GTX 680 fit into SG08?

Phantom cards have oversized heatsinks that may not fit :rolleyes:

Encode,
In the pic of your build there it looks like the ODD bracket/tray is removed and you are using the vacant space for hiding wires. Is that correct? Basically I'm curious if the H80 set up you have would still work with the ODD installed. Guessing it would make wire management more challenging if left in.

I was just wondering if a 600W PSU is not an overkill for a system with GTX660ti/670.
With OC the load tests turn out to be barely over 300W, which is great.
Is the PSU running efficiently at such load?
How about idle when it may even drop below 100W?

Upgraded myself to Intel Core i7-3770K! Replaced noisy Corsair H80 with Noctua NH-C14 + Thermalright TY-143 (600-2500rpm, 140mm PWM fan). Now my PC is silent!

Quick overclock result with this air cooler is 4.7-4.8 GHz prime95 stable! The performance is somewhat smaller compared to my 2700K @ 5.3 GHz. But, the iGPU performance is much better - now I can smoothly play UT3 at 2560x1440. The RAM speed is not limited to about 2200 MHz as with 2700, now I can get really higher freqs...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:D

Wow, that cooler absolutely dwarfs the motherboard. Hard to tell from the pics, but does it block the PCI-E slot any?

Yes it does! Anyway, overclocked 3770K iGPU is stronger than low end discrete GPU like Radeon HD 6570! My 3DMark Vantage score is close to P6000!

TR says it is 45 dBA @ 2500rpm. I would think the stock fans it comes with would be quieter, wouldn't it? Also if it blocks the PCIe some then it doesn't sound good for those wanting to use a GPU.

It's PWM controlled, and at 600-800 rpm this fan is inaudible. But when you need the power you can run at its full speed! ;)

Replaced the NH-C14 to NH-C12P SE14 (the fan stayed the same - Thermalright TY-143).
Very strange, but temps are dropped by at least 12C! I'm 100% sure previous NH-C14 was installed 100% correctly! Now I reached 4.9 GHz with my 3770K! Yeah, temps with Prime95 are high - ~94C, but I don't care!

attachment.php

What was the idle and load temps when running prime and the previous hsf? 94C is way too high IMO.

Previously, I was unable to reach 4.9GHz, 4.6-4.7GHz was the max freq.

So, the temps at 4.6GHz (HT is on)
NH-C14 -> 30-32C Idle, 96C Prime95
NH-C12P -> 30-32C Idle, 83C Prime95
25C Ambient

Same thermal compound (ArcticSilver5), same great PWM fan - Thermalright TY-143. NH-C14 was 100% correctly installed. Dunno what makes such huge difference. VRM is obviously much more ventilated this time.
Please note that 94C is Prime95 temp, during regular usage temps are much more acceptable and under light load - browsing or movies, temps are close to Idle ones...

Installed ASUS GTX670 DirectCuII OC! Very impressed with this thing! And the new 3DMark11 result is P10055 or higher!
Unfortunately, the GPU completely blocked one side of the motherboard, the most free for air side, and temperatures got greatly raised - so I was forced to clock the CPU down to 4.5GHz.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:D

Hello,
I would like to ask, whether on this board works somehow switching between graphics CPU and classic GTX6xx ?
thanks

Back