Asus P8Z77 Burned Up

Vegas P11

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought an Asus P8Z77 Pro in April of 2012 and it has been a rock until a few days ago when It let out the magical blue smoke. My Antec power supply died so I replaced it and as soon as I powered it on one of the surface mounted components lit up and burned out. You can see it to the left of where it says Heatsink_PCH.

LmLhJj.jpg

Yeah, they'd have to use some hot air to get that part off and then try to hand place and reflow a new one...

They'll probably scrap yours and give you a refurb.

I submitted an RMA request, so we will see how this goes.

I put the odds at 70% that they'll deny the RMA stating there are bent pins in the CPU socket when they receive the motherboard and inspect it.

If it were me, I would snap some high resolution pics of the CPU socket showing there are no bent pins with a post-it on the motherboard containing the RMA#, print copies out, and include a copy of them in the motherboard box when you send it to them so you can prove there were no bent pins when you packed it up and shipped it off.

I put the odds at 70% that they'll deny the RMA stating there are bent pins in the CPU socket when they receive the motherboard and inspect it.

If it were me, I would snap some high resolution pics of the CPU socket showing there are no bent pins with a post-it on the motherboard containing the RMA#, print copies out, and include a copy of them in the motherboard box when you send it to them so you can prove there were no bent pins when you packed it up and shipped it off.

I already took pictures of the socket, but putting the RMA form next to it is a great idea. Thanks

I think he's speaking from experience. I remember a "bent-pin RMA issue" come up before.

That looks like it could be a power supply component that supplies to the chipset, so they may blame your PSU.

My condolences, I was removing a water block off the same motherboard and the screwdriver slipped, I cut the traces that were part of the voltage regulation traces, instant massive over-voltage to cpu.

I used the mobo for a collage on my wall now......

Back