Asus P8Z68-V Pro - Ram slot #3 (B1) not working after new cooler

Randylahey

n00b
Hi,

I replaced my CM Hyper 212+ with a Corsair H100 and after doing so my PC will not post (DRAM LED RED) anymore with ram installed in slot B1. All ram sticks were working fine before the swap. I was extra careful with everything. I did remove the CPU to clean the thermal paste. I have tried all the ram sticks in slot B1 with the same result. Right now i have 3 of 4 sticks installed and the PC is running fine.

I looked at the CPU socket pins and did not notice anything bent or damaged. Any suggestions? I will take pictures of the socket when I get home from work later today.

Thanks.

Hi,

I replaced my CM Hyper 212+ with a Corsair H100 and after doing so my PC will not post (DRAM LED RED) anymore with ram installed in slot B1. All ram sticks were working fine before the swap. I was extra careful with everything. I did remove the CPU to clean the thermal paste. I have tried all the ram sticks in slot B1 with the same result. Right now i have 3 of 4 sticks installed and the PC is running fine.

I looked at the CPU socket pins and did not notice anything bent or damaged. Any suggestions? I will take pictures of the socket when I get home from work later today.

Thanks.

I assumed you reset CMOS?

Since the memory controller is in the CPU, is it possible you over tightened the new cooler, thus affecting the memory controller on the CPU itself? I would try and seat the cooler again, with very little force and see how you make out. Perhaps even install the older cooler in which all ram slots did work to see if this changes anything. Best of luck.

I assumed you reset CMOS?

Yes i did, but i will do it again when i get home.

Since the memory controller is in the CPU, is it possible you over tightened the new cooler, thus affecting the memory controller on the CPU itself? I would try and seat the cooler again, with very little force and see how you make out. Perhaps even install the older cooler in which all ram slots did work to see if this changes anything. Best of luck.

I was very careful when i did this but i hand tightened them, i will loosen them up a bit and see what happens.

Most of the processors are protected with a thin metal heat spreader. I suppose you could ruin a chip, but you would really have to not know what you are doing to mess it up.

I would reseat the HSF.

It could be possible that you switched ram slots which shouldnt matter.

Check your socket pins. I bet something is bent.

This was exactly what was wrong, pulled board out of case and took a magnifying glass to the socket, found ONE pin JUST barely bent a bit. One flat head precision screwdriver and 30 Min later all is good again.

I was careful but now i know how delicate these sockets are.

thank you all for your help.

Back