Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 quirks/issues

I upgraded my rig yesterday and came across a strange issue.
Using the latest BIOS from Asus (3202) and every updated Driver and OS update (Win7 Pro 64 bit) I got continuous BSODs of "IRQ not less then...".
Having tested my RAM with memtest it came out fine, soI started wondering what was causing the issue.
I'm still not 100% sure, but from what I've found - forcing the MEM clocks to run at their rated specs and timings solves this issue.
I think this is weird because the BIOS shows these as the defined speeds anyway...
Anyway, that solved it for me.
Anybody else come across any quirks with this board?

Last edited:
the only issues ive had so far was the triple posting issue. other than that, its been treating me well.

I had BSOD issues on the non pro version and mine traced to a bad secondary hard drive. Took out out for RMA and replaced our with a different one. No issues since. I wasd able to see errors in the logs too.

the only issues ive had so far was the triple posting issue. other than that, its been treating me well.

interesting, didn't know about this as I haven't started building mine yet. So Marvell controller was the problem people were saying on Overclockers.

why did you get 1333 instead of 1600?

Actually, he got the 1333 because the 8GB 1600 XMS kit requires 1.65V just to even run at its stock speed. And SB CPUs can be permanently damaged by running any RAM above 1.575V.

Though he could have gotten away with buying a memory kit from G.SKILL instead of Corsair.

The same does not hold true for the XMS 1600 16GB (2 x 8GB) dual-channel kit: The currently shipping version runs at 1.5V. However, its CAS latency is a bit looser than with the 8GB (2 x 4GB) kits: 11-11-11 instead of 9-9-9.

Actually, he got the 1333 because the 8GB 1600 XMS kit requires 1.65V just to even run at its stock speed. And SB CPUs can be permanently damaged by running any RAM above 1.575V.

Though he could have gotten away with buying a memory kit from G.SKILL instead of Corsair.

The same does not hold true for the XMS 1600 16GB (2 x 8GB) dual-channel kit: The currently shipping version runs at 1.5V. However, its CAS latency is a bit looser than with the 8GB (2 x 4GB) kits: 11-11-11 instead of 9-9-9.

im just wondering why he didn't purchase a set of g.skill 1600 @1.5v with 9-9-9

I just disabled the marvell controller.... but about the MB I got my refurb from geeks(minus the gen3) and it already had the lastest bios, no issues here. My Geil Enhance run @ 1.5 1600.

\Anybody else come across any quirks with this board?
I've got one...

The motherboard's UEFI bios apparently has a minimum resolution that must be met by the monitor and it doesn't seem to identify if a higher resolution is possible. If that minimum resolution isn't met, the UEFI is cutoff and you can't access all the menu options.

The issue occurs while using the integrated intel graphics or a video card. It also only happens on my 20" CRT, and not a 15" LCD I have sitting around on either the DVI or VGA inputs. Even stranger is that the 20" CRT is capable of 1600x1200 resolution (1024x768 native), and the LCD is only capable of 1024x768. Simply put, anytime I plug in the CRT, the UEFI thinks it is something low like 640x480 or 800x600 and will only display part of the screen.

BTW...I am well aware I need a monitor upgrade. I had an LCD a few years ago that got destroyed in a move and haven't had any money for decent upgrades until now.

I gotta say I'm suffering with this board.
I have BSODS I can't explain, let me elaborate:
I load my system with one 4GB stick of the RAM I bought (2*4GB Corsair XMS 1333) and torture the hell out of it - completely stable. Either stick will do - the system never fails.
I load both 4GB sticks of RAM and the system is unpredictably unstable.
I torture using:
2 * Prime 95 + FURMark Maxed + Music in the background
I've also run Memtest to confirm memory is fine (in windows and out of windows).
This RAM is on the approved list for the board....

I really can't seem to pin the problem for me.
I RMA'd the board and received notification that it's fine after a week of testing at the lab.

I'm currently running with 4GB to keep the system, stable.
Drivers are latest from all vendor sites.
Latest BIOS version.
I really don't know what to do anymore.
This is the first time I have no clue what the issue is and no more hypothesis to test.

Any ideas?

I gotta say I'm suffering with this board.
I have BSODS I can't explain, let me elaborate:
I load my system with one 4GB stick of the RAM I bought (2*4GB Corsair XMS 1333) and torture the hell out of it - completely stable. Either stick will do - the system never fails.
I load both 4GB sticks of RAM and the system is unpredictably unstable.
I torture using:
2 * Prime 95 + FURMark Maxed + Music in the background
I've also run Memtest to confirm memory is fine (in windows and out of windows).
This RAM is on the approved list for the board....

I really can't seem to pin the problem for me.
I RMA'd the board and received notification that it's fine after a week of testing at the lab.

I'm currently running with 4GB to keep the system, stable.
Drivers are latest from all vendor sites.
Latest BIOS version.
I really don't know what to do anymore.
This is the first time I have no clue what the issue is and no more hypothesis to test.

Any ideas?
The ram is put into the proper slots? it likely is

does another brand of ram do the bsod?

try change to another brand of ram see what happens?

I'm getting two sticks of OCZ tomorrow to test that theory.
I hope that's the problem - that seems the cheapest way out for me.
Thanks.

I have the p8z68-v/gen3 and I can report no issues thus far.

I haven't been able to put it under heavy stress yet but I was able to play BF3 while installing Crysis 2 andnit went very smoothly.

Only quirks I have to report are triple posting which is probably from PLL over voltage being enabled, which I will work on this weekend when I attempt to overclock, and from setting my RAM timings manually I noticed that physically typing in values can sometimes be glitchy i.e. I would type in "9" and it after hitting enter it would go back to default "12." Must of been a random glitch because a reboot solved it. Sorry for the run-on haha.

I have this very board and am very pleased with it. Haven't had any issues with it pushing a 2600K @ 4.6 on 1.35V

And SB CPUs can be permanently damaged by running any RAM above 1.575V.

I've seen dozens of 1.65vdimm users on SB (myself included) and probably a hundred forum threads not only [H]ere but elsewhere saying the "don't use 1.65vdimm with SB" fear is FUD.

Unless you have evidence otherwise I'm going to continue saying the 1.65vdimm nonsense is that....a bunch of nonsense.
If 1.65vdimm ram was incompatible with SB, or dangerous to run with SB - then why would it be put on QVL lists like my HyperX is? :cool:

Same here. I get a different message every time after it posts, but the triple post didn't start happening until recently for me. Weird...

So I've been running with other memory modules for over a day now and I get 0 crashes.
I'm running some Mushkin memory at dual channel 1066Mhz with lax timings 9-9-9-24 and it seems fine.
I guess this motherboard doesn't like my Corsair XMS 1333 memory despite it being on the Qualified RAM list.... :(
Oh well, time to buy another 8 GB of memory.
Any recommendations?

So I've been running with other memory modules for over a day now and I get 0 crashes.
I'm running some Mushkin memory at dual channel 1066Mhz with lax timings 9-9-9-24 and it seems fine.
I guess this motherboard doesn't like my Corsair XMS 1333 memory despite it being on the Qualified RAM list.... :(
Oh well, time to buy another 8 GB of memory.
Any recommendations?

GSkill Ripjaws 1.50 volters
i have 8gb of ddr3-1866
they have several differing kits with 1.50 volts

Back