asus p8z68 deluxe/gen3 residue on board

gima

Limp Gawd
Just picked up this board, 8gigs corsair 1600 memory and a 2500k.

Coming from the stuff in my sig this was about a $90 up/sidegrade since someone bought the stuff in my sig. They needed something for video/audio encoding (p4 wasn't cutting it) and didn't want to spend a fortune so I gave them a good deal and figured I'd just pick this stuff up. I had my i7 930 OC'd to 3.8ghz with HT off so I figure I should be able to get this 2500k to 4ghz no problem and have the same performance (if not better) and cooler temps.

Received everything today and noticed the back of the PCB has residue from the wave solder machine on it. I guess it's flux/flux remover residue - I've never used a machine before. I fix boards for a living at work and normally just use alcohol/toothbrush to clean them up. I tried to clean up a small area on the board with some luck but it leaves a white residue which CAN be cleaned further but I'm not cleaning the entire back of a brand new board. Used a white rag to clean an area and got yellow residue on the rag. That's the same color as the water based flux I use at work, so I'm guessing that's what it is?

Hoping someone else may be more familiar with what those machines use and answer some questions.. Is what's on there corrosive? Is it conductive? Is it worthy of RMA'ing?

Or does it even matter, should I just throw it in there and use it?

thanks!

I'm not an expert in PCB manufacturing, but as far as I know, unless it's a highly-activated (RA) rosin flux residue, it shouldn't be harmful for any reasonable service life of the board. I think water-based fluxes are the most common type in large scale manufacturing these days, so it should be even less dangerous. It does show shoddy workmanship to not have cleaned the board properly, but IMHO it's up to you if you want to go to the trouble of trying to RMA it. If iso alchohol didn't work too well, maybe just try some distilled water? Personally I'd have no trouble just throwing it in there and trying it.

Back