Asus P8P67 (standard) build. Confirmation/suggestions?

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read the following.

I am looking into building a new system as soon as the B3 revision of boards begin to ship. I am looking into the Asus P8P67 standard model. I must get this particular model due to the expansion slot arrangement. It is exactly how I need it and the Pro/Deluxe variants offer a much different slot arrangement which is not suitable for my needs unfortunately.

I am needing to know 2 things in particular about this motherboard and how it will interact with other parts. I will be using the 2600k CPU.

Cooling:

I was thinking of getting the Noctua NH-D14. I take it this will be suitable for an overclocked 2600k? An important thing however, with the rather large size of this HSF, does it intrude at all on the ram slots of the motherboard? I need to be sure all 4 slots will be easily accessible to add/remove ram at will. Is this possible or not? Does the heatsink or fan lay on top of the slots in any way?

Ram:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=357

I need to know how well this ram plays with this particular board. Is it 100% and recommended or no? I am undecided if I should go with 8GB, or go all out with 16GB. Opinions? My question above about the NH-D14 covering the ram slots was due to my possibly occupying all 4 slots with a 4GB DIMM in each to obtain the 16GB. Will the heatspreader of this ram fit under the NH-D14 with ease if the HSF does overlay the ram slots?

The rest of my system will be recycled from my current sig, case, power supply, hard/optical drives, fans, sound card, video card etc.

Knowing all this information, can anyone for see a problem with the older parts of my sig being used in this new build? Are my chosen ram and HSF sufficient or are there other recommendations? Again, I must use the standard P8P67 however.

I do appreciate any comments, suggestions or confirmation that can be given regarding my build.

The heatsink should not obstruct the RAM, but the push fan will. Fortunately the push fan can be removed without having to remove the heatsink and it can also be moved up or down as needed depending on the size of the heatspreaders on the RAM.

Thank you very much for the reply. I see you have this exact fan in question. You are using the Deluxe model, is the spacing from the cpu socket to the first ram slot any different from the standard P8P67 to the Deluxe?

You say the heatsink itself does NOT cover the first ram slot AT ALL? The fan does, however it can be easily removed with the heatsink mounted and can even be adjusted upwards on the side of the heatsink to make room for high heat spreaders? I do not mean to sound redundant, I just like to be 100% sure. I need to be able to add/remove ram from any of the 4 slots with the board mounted in the case, this means I cannot have any obstructions.

How do you find the heatsink does on your 2600k at 4.6ghz? Adequate or would you recommend something else to cool my chip while not obstructing the ram slots? Is it fairly easy to install or a real PITA?

Thanks again for your reply, I do appreciate it.

I have a NH-D14 on a Gigabyte mb with 2x2g gskill ram. The ram height just barely fits under the cooler and fan. There is just enough space to remove and install ram without removing hs but it is a pita. Suggest that you remove hs if you want to remove/install ram. Installing ram should be just a one time affair, I don't see why you would want to remove/install rams more than a couple fo times.

Also I have P8P67 mb too but with Noctua NH-U12P instead. Looking at the fitting, the D14 would cover the first pci-e slot. There is just enough clearance to install graphic card into 2nd slot. That is the reason I got Gigabyte mb (i7-860 series) with the D14. Not sure on the P67 series but generally there is just a bit more clearance between the graphic card and D14 with Gigabyte.

If you need the first slot and easier access to the rams, suggest the NH-U12P instead. I can oc to 5GHz but temp are in 90's, 4.7 or 4.8 would be top with temps in hi 70's to 80's. I ran it 24/7 at 4.5 with max temp below 65 after 24 hours on prime95. If I was using the D14, I would do 4.7 for 24/7 operation (just 200mHz more and some cpu would not go that high.) The CoolMaster H70 water cool is about same price as D14 and would solve all your problems and cooler temp too but I read that fan noise could be high.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the reply. Is this a 100% confirmation that the NH-D14 WILL in fact cover the very first PCIe 1x slot? This is detrimental as I absolutely need that slot to be used for this card:

http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins/uad-2-quad/uad-2-quad.html

if this slot will in fact be covered and unusable, which is something I never thought of, then I am in big, big trouble and seriously need to rethink my cooling.

I just eyeball it again for you and definitely the first PCIe 1x slot will be cover by the D14.
Why not the two coolers that I suggested, the NH-U12P is ok because I have a card in the first slot too and ram slots have more clearance. The CM H70 is same price range as D14 and give better cooling. Another cpu cooler that I have use and like is the CoolerMaster Hyer 212+ (cost locally is only $20.)

I just eyeball it again for you and definitely the first PCIe 1x slot will be cover by the D14.
Why not the two coolers that I suggested, the NH-U12P is ok because I have a card in the first slot too and ram slots have more clearance. The CM H70 is same price range as D14 and give better cooling. Another cpu cooler that I have use and like is the CoolerMaster Hyer 212+ (cost locally is only $20.)

I installed a CM212 on the deluxe board and am pretty sure the ram slots were completely clear of the cooling fans (could get a pic next week if needed). Even if the intake fan had been over the memory slot it is a snap to remove the fan without pulling the heatsink.

The H50 may also be worth considering. Does a good job stock, even with fast OC using AI OC on 2500k. The 1st slot is also not blocked on my standard board with the radiator mounted in the case fan position. With fan mounted outside the case there is tons of room inside the case but it wouldn't block the slot with either one or 2 fans inside the case (Raidmax Windstorm).

Note: both Corsairs are listed as sale items in the Directron sticky under [H]otDEALS forum.

Last edited:
Thank you ever so much for both of your replies, I do really appreciate it. I looked all night online for various reviews and pics and did notice in fact that the NH-D14 pretty much completely covers the first pcie x 1 slot. Very sad times, however, I am glad it was brought to my attention as the covering as that slot was something that never crossed my mind, I was too obsessed with finding out about the ram slots I neglected any other possible incompatibilities.

I have looked into the NH-U12P. It does look nice, however, upon reading reviews, under high load it does absolutely no better than the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme that I currently have installed in my system. If that is the case could I not reuse my TRUE and save the money, or should I still look into the NH-U12P?

Some other options I was looking into but needed confirmation on their cooling ability and clearance of BOTH the first ram slot AND the first PCIe 1x slot please.

1.) Above it was mentioned the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. This is an older heatsink at a very low price, can it keep up to a 2600k at 4.6ghz on average? Does it take 38mm fans at all? I have a few Sanyo Denki 120 x 38mm fans I would like to reuse if possible as they have fantastic static pressure and high CFM while being relatively smooth sounding to the ears.

2.) Reuse my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?

3.) Thermalright Venomous X?

4.) Noctua NH-C14. This looks interesting as it can be oriented just about any way to help eliminate the covering of ram slots and the first PCIe 1x slot. It does not seem to hold up well in reviews under high load, but that is on non SB based chips which I cannot find any reviews on the above mentioned coolers cooling due to them being so new.

I really, really need to track down the ultimate cooler for my upcoming build. As soon as the B3 revision boards start to appear I need to jump confident that I will have an adequate cooler where the first 1x PCIe slot is not covered, an absolute must, as well as all 4 ram slots accessible.

I understand the ram being installed should be a one time thing, however, at the moment I am undecided if I should go with 2 x 4gb chips or 4 x 4gb chips for 8 or 16gb of ram. I was thinking of getting 8gb to start and see how it fares, but if I want to add in another two chips I do not want to have to be taking apart my entire case just to install a single dimm which should easily be accessible otherwise.
I have also heard of issues with the P8P67 being picky on ram, no boot issues etc which require the ram to be removed and reseated in different slots to get the board to post. With my luck this will happen to me and I will not be able to remove and reinstall the first dimm as needed. You can now hopefully understand my reasoning behind wanting all 4 dimm slots accessible.

If dad604, 1dc or anyone else can sort me out here, even if the answers are redundant, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

Some of these pics here may help you:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1179&page=8

I've got a P8P67 Pro with a Corsair A70 and it's pretty much the same as you see in those pics. I haven't assembled it yet, but I test fit it and it doesn't block the 1st PCIE but a fan will overhang the 1st RAM slot. That's why I bought RAM without tall heatsinks. You use the blue slots for two sticks that aren't covered, but if you use four I would think you could remove the fan instead of the whole sink. It just clips on the HS.

Thanks a ton for these pics, they are based on the Prolimatech heatsink however, are any of the others going to be any different? Venomous X, NH-C14 etc? I see it is a very tight fit between the heatsink and the first PCIe 1x slot, but as long as the fan clips or heatsink itself do not touch the backend of the PCB of the expansion card installed in that slot, it should be just fine.

Thanks again.

Anyone else have anything to add in terms of best cooler to get while maintaining free ram slots and especially the top most pcie 1x slot?

...If that is the case could I not reuse my TRUE and save the money...?

Some other options I was looking into but needed confirmation on their cooling ability and clearance of BOTH the first ram slot AND the first PCIe 1x slot please.

1.) Above it was mentioned the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. This is an older heatsink at a very low price, can it keep up to a 2600k at 4.6ghz on average? Does it take 38mm fans at all? I have a few Sanyo Denki 120 x 38mm fans I would like to reuse if possible as they have fantastic static pressure and high CFM while being relatively smooth sounding to the ears.

2.) Reuse my Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?

I really, really need to track down the ultimate cooler for my upcoming build. As soon as the B3 revision boards start to appear I need to jump confident that I will have an adequate cooler where the first 1x PCIe slot is not covered, an absolute must, as well as all 4 ram slots accessible.

Here's a report with max temps with a 212 at just under your target OC. I'd imagine using your better fans it would have even better results.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/927688-few-questions-regarding-my-i5-2500k.html

Since you already have the fans and cooler, you might want to just try the cooler you already have first if you have mounts that will work on the 1155. To use your wider fans on the 212 you may need to make your own clips but I don't see any reason you couldn't if they fit for you otherwise.

The H50 is my first water-cooled and I think this style is the ultimate cooler to consider if you are going to run OC 24/7. To me, the lower temps are worth it. Hopefully Intel and Asus will resolve the sleep problem with OC and then I will try some other fan configurations at that time. Stock is running mid 20s in idle and high 40s at turbo. Not sure the single fan is even running at max during full load at turbo. Stock it was able to keep up with 5.0+GHz OC so I'm sure there is some room to improve and lower temps at a more modest OC target.

Didn't realize you have Thermalright Ultra 120. Just use that one. Newer cooler might be a tad better but not worth the extra. I don't think the CM 212+ is any better. The H70 would be lot cooler and the D14 is only slightly better. Also 8g of rams should do. I don't see much need for 16g. Of course if you have $$$ to burn, then go for new cpu cooler and extra rams.

Thanks a lot for the replies. If I were to keep my TRUE, or get the Venomous X as it seems to be very close to build type and size, could any of you see this interfering with the first PCIe 1x slot like the D-14 would? I am thinking I may just go with the 8G of ram in the two blue slots. It is still double than what I am using now at 4G and I get by just fine. Save myself $150 on not getting a second 8GB kit. Should be easier for the board to handle as well. With this in mind, I am not too worried about the first ram slot being covered now, especially if I can just remove the fan to get additional sticks in the future to fit should I feel this is what I want to do. All I am really concerned about now is the TRUE/Venomous X with dual 38mm thick fans fitting as should without blocking the first PCIe 1x slot.

Thanks again for all your replies, I know I am repetitive and annoying, kinda an OCD thing when it comes to building a new system. I like to be 100% sure of everything ahead of time. I do appreciate your patience and the time you take to sort me out.

hey guys i have a Noctua C12 SE14 on my Asus p8p67 board and corsair dominator memory on DIMM 2 and DIMM 4. Was wondering if its ok to get the corsair vengeance modules(2x4GB). Will they fit in the DIMM 2 and DIMM 4 slots? Thanks a lot.

Am sorry if its the wrong place to post this. Its just because i saw people talking about ram compatibility against coolers thought to ask.

Thanks a lot for the replies. If I were to keep my TRUE, or get the Venomous X as it seems to be very close to build type and size, could any of you see this interfering with the first PCIe 1x slot like the D-14 would? . . .All I am really concerned about now is the TRUE/Venomous X with dual 38mm thick fans fitting as should without blocking the first PCIe 1x slot.

The center of my H50 pump to the 1st slot is about 65 mm. Assuming you mount your cooler with fans front (toward memory) to back (toward i/o shield), this would allow for a cooler up to about 130cm wide without covering the slot.

Looking at my video card the edge of the slot is actually closer to the cpu than the card by a couple mm, so you might have a little slack, assuming your mount has no sag.

I picked up a loose 120mm fan and that is the outside dimension on it. If yours are similar the fans shouldn't be a problem to the side. Using this Frostytec article on the TRUE, I couldn't quickly find the width, but it looks like you should be OK from the pics. Also performance for it and the CM212 are listed as very similar.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2244&page=5

I didn't see where the TRUE came with 1156/55 mounts but maybe something else you have works.

[On the deluxe I built with the 212, the case had a little room for mounting the fans a little higher or lower on the fins to allow for clearances below. But they were fine in the front to back mount arrangement; it used 16Gb of Ripjaws which are fairly tall. On newer cases with bottom PSU and which draw air from bottom and exhaust on top I'd want to mount the fans to exhaust at the top if the air cooler allows.

However, my ideal set up would be a cooler with slightly longer lines so that I could mount the radiator low over the 140 intake fan at the bottom of my case and put a pull fan on top of that. Threadjack: Anyone know if the H70 lines are longer than the H50?]

The TRUE/Venomous X will be fine, will not cover 1st slot as they are same width 120mm as my U12P.

Excellent! Thank you very much 1dc and dad604. again, I do appreciate your comments. dad604, you said you are using a card in the firs pcie 1x slot successfully with your U12P so if the Venomous X is the same size, I should be just fine.

Thanks again!

hey guys i have a Noctua C12 SE14 on my Asus p8p67 board and corsair dominator memory on DIMM 2 and DIMM 4. Was wondering if its ok to get the corsair vengeance modules(2x4GB). Will they fit in the DIMM 2 and DIMM 4 slots? Thanks a lot.

Can someone help me please? thanks

Back