Asus p8p67 pro went up in smoke

Italiano86

Limp Gawd
Holy crap, so this morning after having used the computer last night just fine, I turn it on and it only briefly goes on then off. I noticed the cpu red light was on each time, but I pulled out a single stick of memory and it booted. When it booted though, I was greeted with a mini plume of smoke and some short sounds crom the far left blue heatsink for the phase chips I think they are.

So yea, now my motherbord appears to be hosed and frys will not take care of it since it's out of policy.

What can i do? Will asus setup an advanced rma? I dont see how i could have done anything to cause this. My chip was lightly ocd to 4.5 using the phase and power settings recommended by asus, and was rock solid with no bsod's.

First time in 12 builds a mobo ever went up in smoke for me, and I always use asus.

Pics a few posts down...

Last edited:
RMA that sucker...

I haven't had any issues with my Asus Pro board. Side note, if you RMA, get a new one back and decide not to use the Pro board, hit me up.

I'll probably use it again because it's an awesome board, I'm just super pissed. I think they are closed on Sunday but I'm going to try calling them soon. Sucks to not have a comp right now, not even one to play minecraft on, haha.

As for the smoke, it literally looked like a mini plume of smoke coming from the top of the heatsink, about an inch and a half high, and continued for like 5 seconds then stopped while the computer just hung, nothing was happening.

Just remembered before this also, there was a small amount of smoke coming from the pcie vid card slot towards the rear, just below the mini pcie x-1 slot. I'm totally confused.

I know for a fact it was not water related. Not a single leak or drop to be seen, and it wasnt even near a hose end.

lets hope it didn't damage anything else like your graphics card..That really sucks man hope you get it straightened out..

I have a P8P67 Deluxe replacement coming back from RMA next week. It will be brand new and I might be willing to sell it as I have another sandy bridge motherboard

that is if you in Canada that is.

Took some pics with macro on my camera, worked waaay better than my lame iphone. Pics are self explanatory...:eek:

IMG_3336.jpg

The Mayhem:

IMG_3339.jpg

Called asus tech support, they said they will call me back, which was over an hour ago and I am still waiting. Things are already looking brighter. :rolleyes:

Things are already looking brighter.

Thats because the Sun is out Ha. That does suck ass tho man. Like I said Im glad I went with a difference board and not Asus

I actually had Asus replace a board that I damaged water cooling it, three year after the warranty ended and yes I did tell them the truth. One of the main reasons I only buy Asus boards now.

And have you seen the insane user support thread by ASUS rep on this board? That is some amazing customer service/support. And that is the VERY reason why I admire ASUS.

I bought an ASRock P67 Extreme4 board b/c I decided to give them a chance, nice features, great price. I had a problem with the PCIe 1x slots. Customer support by ASRock was virtually non existent. They replied to my initial email, but it had been a week since they followed up with my reply message.... still nothing from them after a 2nd email requesting they contact me.

I returned that board and picked up an ASUS P8P67 Pro and everything has been working great.

I never said Asus didnt have Excellent customer service but is Asus willing to replace other dead hardware that the board may have fried in the process? Now what if he wasnt home when this happen and it started a fire. This reminds me why I never buy MSI either with their Flakey board that A start on fire or B caps blow.

And have you seen the insane user support thread by ASUS rep on this board? That is some amazing customer service/support. And that is the VERY reason why I admire ASUS.

I bought an ASRock P67 Extreme4 board b/c I decided to give them a chance, nice features, great price. I had a problem with the PCIe 1x slots. Customer support by ASRock was virtually non existent. They replied to my initial email, but it had been a week since they followed up with my reply message.... still nothing from them after a 2nd email requesting they contact me.

I returned that board and picked up an ASUS P8P67 Pro and everything has been working great.

I just got an ASROCK Extreme 6 its been great so far,but the customer support has me worried,ive never had to deal with them but you always have that worry in the back of your mind..

I just can't figure out why this would happen to the board out of the blue when my last oc has been 100% stable for the past week. Not to mention my cpu idles at 26c and loads around 40-45 tops most of the time.

I was playing minecraft and heard the usual screeching sound from either the mobo or vid card, but I hear that is caused by the super high frames when in the main menu in the capicators. Is this what happens when you oc and the mobo just can't handle the voltage or heat? It did seem like there was very little contact on the heatsink, but they have always been flimsy like that.

I never said Asus didnt have Excellent customer service but is Asus willing to replace other dead hardware that the board may have fried in the process? Now what if he wasnt home when this happen and it started a fire. This reminds me why I never buy MSI either with their Flakey board that A start on fire or B caps blow.

This could happen with a mobo from any manufacturer.

I really don't know if my cpu or vid are still good, but I don't see they wouldn't be.

It's odd though, it took me probably 10 tries to get the computer to stay on, then I heard a sizzle on one of the top pci slots and I could swear I saw some minor smoke. Kept clearing cmos and cycling power to try and reboot again, and then lots of smoke came from those mosfets. The red cpu light was also on while this was happening.

Asus never called back and they close at 3, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take care of this I guess. I just think it's stupid that they take down info to call back later, they have never done that to me before, they just take care of an rma right away.

I really don't know if my cpu or vid are still good, but I don't see they wouldn't be.

It's odd though, it took me probably 10 tries to get the computer to stay on, then I heard a sizzle on one of the top pci slots and I could swear I saw some minor smoke. Kept clearing cmos and cycling power to try and reboot again, and then lots of smoke came from those mosfets. The red cpu light was also on while this was happening.

Asus never called back and they close at 3, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take care of this I guess. I just think it's stupid that they take down info to call back later, they have never done that to me before, they just take care of an rma right away.

Yeah would have been nice to get the RMA all set so you could sent it out tomorrow..Bummer.

Their could be solder bridges on some IC chips. That would have caused it.

I think something like this happen to my friend's 1156 board when 1156 first come out.
Now days QC is no longer reliable, there are so many competition between all the manufacture, they lower the QC requirement to speed up the time needed to release product.

If your CPU is fine, which is my friend' case, then just RMA the board and Asus will send you a new one.
But if your CPU is short (Read a post about this with a i7 920), you may not able to RMA the CPU and Asus most likely won't take responsible too.

Hope your CPU is fine and good luck.

Wow....that looks frightening.

Besides the shorting theory of solder bridges, could anything else have caused that ? I thought all these IC's are made to a certain spefication, and they don't usually just go "boom" without some internal flaw?

Hopefully they will get me an advanced rma and send me the board before I send the original to them.

In the meantime, I am using my old ass p3 laptop that can't even play minecraft, lol. I might load up planescape torment to keep me happy for a few days, which hopefully won't turn into a week.

If I ask "nicely" do you think asus may be able to setup a next day or 2 days shipping? I have video work and stuff that needs to get done but is impossible for the immediate future.

Talked to some guy on the phone who sounded like he hates his job, but he said I will send an email within 24 hours to fill out and fax back to setup an advanced rma. I will be charged 20 or $30 for 2nd or next day air, and will then have to pay whatever shipping to ship the board back, which will probably be another 15.:mad:

The guy said they haven't had many rma's on these boards and they will have to see if they even have one to setup an advanced rma. They will also take no responsibility for my cpu or vid card if they were fried. I hope they can at least get it shipped out today, but it's Indiana, so doubtful.

Talked to some guy on the phone who sounded like he hates his job, but he said I will send an email within 24 hours to fill out and fax back to setup an advanced rma. I will be charged 20 or $30 for 2nd or next day air, and will then have to pay whatever shipping to ship the board back, which will probably be another 15.:mad:

Wtf? Those charges are unacceptable! I wouldn't have agreed to this shit.

They offer free ground but that's not exactly an option for me right now. The guy wouldn't even meet me half way on shipping charges.

Now i hear they have to check to see if they have the mobo in stock, which can take 24-48 hours, and on top of that it will take the rma form 24-48 hours to process, and that is before shipping it out. If I pay for overnight shipping, I will be lucky to have the damn board by Thursday, this is ridiculous.

This could happen with a mobo from any manufacturer.
+1

It doesn't appear to be a design flaw, but rather a component failure. It doesn't matter how good you QC is, build enough boards and some bad components will slip through. The CP "recall" is going to suck for the OP though.

Now i hear they have to check to see if they have the mobo in stock, which can take 24-48 hours, and on top of that it will take the rma form 24-48 hours to process, and that is before shipping it out. If I pay for overnight shipping, I will be lucky to have the damn board by Thursday, this is ridiculous.

Wow that is terrible service...

Even if they have the replacement mobo in stock, I still do not think that they will give it to you anytime soon due to the recently announced design flaw of the H67/P67 boards. The new revisions will probably not come out until March. You will have to wait two months unfortunately.

FML "Unfortunatly we were unable to reserve a spare part and will have to go with a standard RMA." They can't do a damn thing for me, not even a stepup or a downgrade for a different model, I will have to wait probably 2 weeks to get a refurbished board, which has a high chance of being defective itself. I already sold my q6600 and 8800gt so I have no gaming pc now and can't do anything in the meantime.

The guy on the phone knows about the intel defect and he told me they are going to have to wait and see what happens with the boards.

Last edited:
FML "Unfortunatly we were unable to reserve a spare part and will have to go with a standard RMA." They can't do a damn thing for me, not even a stepup or a downgrade for a different model, I will have to wait probably 2 weeks to get a refurbished board, which has a high chance of being defective itself. I alreaxy sold my q6600 and 8800gt so I have no gaming pc now and can't do anything in the meantime.

The guy on the phone knows about the intel defect and he told me they are going to have to wait and see what happens with the boards.

I think you need to PM Gary. That is ridiculous.

FML "Unfortunatly we were unable to reserve a spare part and will have to go with a standard RMA." They can't do a damn thing for me, not even a stepup or a downgrade for a different model, I will have to wait probably 2 weeks to get a refurbished board, which has a high chance of being defective itself. I already sold my q6600 and 8800gt so I have no gaming pc now and can't do anything in the meantime.

Please PM me and include the serial number of your board, your e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address so I can make sure to get a replacement to you ASAP. Thanks.

Back