Asus P8P67 Pro issue - Getting very close to returning it

I'm currently on my longest stall-free period after my build using the following settings:

Hardware:
using only intel 6gb ports & the marvel ones. (all of those 4 occupied)
still have my 2 samsung 750g disks plugged in
DVD writer on one of the slower intel sata ports.
All overclock / epu switches on "off"

Bios:
ver. 1024
Cpu C3 & C6 report disabled
Internall PLL disabled
all power saving options disabled
all overclocking options disabled
everything at standard clock speeds, ram voltage at 1.50

Win / software:
all power saving options disabled (including the intel NIC ones)
All drivers updated to latest version
screen saver enabled
obviously Fully updated win7
Intell mass storage utility uninstalled.
No asus aisuite stuff installed.

Uptime: 18 ish hours. Lasted trough the night just being idle.

@Cisco guy: I will try going with the samsung disks unpowered but plugged into the board after my next stall. Could you explain what you are hinting at tough?

ASL Q-Code
they are in the manual, right?
I am looking at the paper version of the documentation Second Edition Octobe 2010:
On pages 2-21 to 2-24 are described the Q-code in a table.
But codes: 30,AA, AC are described as
reserver for ASL (see ASL Status Codes section below
But I have not been able to find an ASL Status Code Section in the documentation?

This also apply to the latest electronic version of the doc :confused:

Conclusion:
Intel Southbridge will not detect, or do so intermittently with certain brand OLDER HDD firmware that do not have specific coding to allow Intel Port 1 and 2 to allow it as a SATA 6 drive or is buggy by itself. This may be why some guys have no probs - newly purchased new model drives, and some do - old drives. There ARE drives SATA that are specifically specced as SATA 6 interface EVEN THO they only do 143MB/s transfer and 246 Burst
You could try 5-6 jumper to make 3Gbs set max on later drives (WDC)
If you want trouble free Intel SATA 6Gb useage, make sure the drive specs say SATA6 interface. Or at least until they fix this issue. Then again, even these drives may need firmware update. At the very least either Intel or ASUS should give Samsung a call and ask them what kinda magic is in their firmware fix
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=308&ref=dynamitedata.com
I do have 2 x Samsung HD103 SJ 1000GB drives. CrystalDiskInfo indicates a Firmware revision of 1AJ10001.
I did not used them to much yet as my system boots from WD HDD but so far they seems to work on the 2 Marvell ports.
However with HDTune Pro 4.6 I can run a bechmark ok but if I try to run "File Benchmark" HDT displays "I/O Error! - Test Aborted" Could that be related to the firmware?
I have never updated FW on a HD (even did not know it was possible). Is it safe to do this? I will need to create a bootable DOS usb ?(procedure is not well described).
The FAQ talks about FW update for SB850 chipset. How does this relate to P67 chipset?

On the same vein I have to Western Digital WD2002FEAX-007BA0 2000GB drives.
These drives are SATA 6GB connected on Intel port 0 & 1. They seems to run fine but:
  • CrystalDiskInfo reports a BufferSize = Unknown ?
  • Same for Aida64 Extreme Edition
  • Same for HD Tune
  • Also HD Tune sometimes report health errors
Any idea why

Concerning the HD103SJ I have checked on Internet and the parch is to be applied if the FW version is 1AJ100E4. The FW 1AJ10001 (the one I have) is the last one.

So I'm back again after my comp magically running well for so long. While browsing the internet, my monitor starts to go on and off and the computer just freezes up so I have to force turn it off. I boot up the PC again, choose "start Windows normally". When Windows loads up, I notice my screen is the regular 800x600 resolution and I see this familiar "1033" error as locale ID in the BSOD error window and it immediately freezes again. This time, I turn off the computer and unplug the PSU for a few minutes and turn it back on. While it's booting up, it stays on the Marvell screen and says "Overclocking failed. Press F1 to go to setup" so I went to set up and just clicked "save & exit" without changing anything. Also, I haven't done any OC'ing so everything's running on stock. During this time, the BOOT_LED light is red. POST, BIOS, Windows loading screen and when my desktop should load up, the screen goes on and off again. While doing this, the CPU_LED goes red for a few seconds then it goes away and the computer doesn't respond to anything while all fans are running. Since it's late now, I'm planning to swap video cards again to see if that's the problem.

Can anyone else shed a light and see what else I can try?

Config:
ASUS P8P67 Pro (1253 beta, I guess I should try 1204)
i5-2500k
GSKILL DDR3 1333 2x4gb
EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768mb
Main HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Storage HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TBx2

short update: ran W7 in safe mode and it actually loads the desktop so I'm guessing it's a driver issue or the graphics card is faulty :(
another short update: wow this is like boy who cried wolf. Windows loads up fine now o_O

Last edited:
I haven't had a problem for 3 weeks after reinstalling and disabling settings so I hope no weird issues pop up for me. I'm probably not even going to RMA this board and just deal with the SATA issue.

I RMA'd my board after a week of struggling with the freezes and got the Asrock Extreme 4. No problems whatsoever.

Just experienced SLEEP ISSUES as well.

After no issues at all for 1 week...last 2 days comp won't wake from sleep. Restart button does nothing. Have to do a cold power reset.

Any ideas why this just started? Any ideas what triggers it? Solutions? Suggestions?

My specs:

ASUS P67 Deluxe
Evga GTX460 FTW
8GB Gskill 1600 CL8 RAM (2x4GB)

Just experienced SLEEP ISSUES as well.

After no issues at all for 1 week...last 2 days comp won't wake from sleep. Restart button does nothing. Have to do a cold power reset.

Any ideas why this just started? Any ideas what triggers it? Solutions? Suggestions?

My specs:

ASUS P67 Deluxe
Evga GTX460 FTW
8GB Gskill 1600 CL8 RAM (2x4GB)

fwiw theres NO reason to sleep this mobo - its always in low power mode unless you do something (just the monitor maybe)
I dont have this issue, but would be curious what happens when this is done:
Dev man network adaptors properties power management
turn off everything (on both if both are enabled)
If you are using your own NIC/router - dont
Or if you have another PC, leave the ASUS on with modem or router disconnected and rebooted into windows (or overnight)

In cntrl panel power options
Is it set at balanced?
Try setting all sleep settings in bios only or cntrl panel\power options only - no confusing conflicts.
or
\balanced\change settings\put to sleep\never
or
balanced\change settings\change-advanced and muck around in there. Note that the min cpu setting defaults to 5%

Also, any time you change something in bios reboot at least twice into windows. One of the big flaws in this bios is stuff doesnt stick immediately

Was just listening to youtube and browsing some forums and got a freeze with the computer making a non stop beep. Tried pretty much everything in this thread. It was good for a few days before this happened.

Update -
We setup five stations to try to replicate this problem and so far all machines have over 100 hours on them without a problem, this includes multiple sleep routines, benchmarks, network transfers, etc before just letting them sit and run. We have not rebooted the stations yet.

So I am gathering complete system configurations from affected users now and will have an udpate early next week.

Any news on this?

after replacing my board that kept freezing, without changing any stock settings its been running smoothly *knocks on wood*

Its been 1 week where as my previous board took 5 days for the symptoms to show up. So its still too early to tell.

Well, after being stable for a few days, my system decided to hard lock while browsing the internet this morning. This was after moving my drives off the Intel SATA2 ports and onto the Marvell ports along with a reinstall of Windows 7.

There were no errors or anything. Just a freeze.

This is getting pretty annoying. Just when I think its fine, it freezes.

Although, I have yet to mess with the power-states at all. I may end up trying that soon.

Hey Guys,

I wanted to also report my lock-up/crash issues. I find that my system will run Prime95 LinX without any issue, but will freeze up overnight. The system will not take any keyboard/mouse input. My network will also go down when this happens, no other devices can get online until the PC is rebooted. It has done the same while gaming and I get a horrible screeching sound (great when using headphones). I've tried the C3 C6 disabling suggestions I found on other message boards, neither worked. I do have a slight overclock on the board (4.5Ghz via multiplier), I lowered it from what auto-tune set it to. I didn't want to use auto-tune, but I thought I may had missed something.

I am going to try moving all my SATA connections over to marvell and the 6Gb ports, as well as disable the power settings on the NIC.

Has anyone tried the latest chipset/NIC drivers from Intel (not the older drivers from Asus)?

I emailed Gary for any suggestions, waiting to hear back.

Adam

Has anyone tried the latest chipset/NIC drivers from Intel (not the older drivers from Asus)?
I'm currently running the latest NIC drivers from Intel but just experienced a random freeze earlier today. Although, it did not seem to take down my entire network this time.

As far as the chipset drivers, I have not bothered with them yet.

I'm currently running the latest NIC drivers from Intel but just experienced a random freeze earlier today. Although, it did not seem to take down my entire network this time.

As far as the chipset drivers, I have not bothered with them yet.

I was thinking, do you think there's a possibility that the issue lies in the CPU offloading feature that the ASUS boards have? Perhaps the onboard processor(s) are causing the issue.

Thoughts?

Adam

For reference, I was having the same "sleep" issues w/ my new Asus Sabertooth P67 / i7-2600k build (and actually with a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 / 1090T build, but that's even further off topic lol and ended in RMA for refund after two boards). Issue was remedied by changing Windows power settings to "never sleep" (still left in balanced mode). Its been nearly a week since the box crashed.

I'm very skeptical about Asus bios quality right now. So many threads in the Asus support forums regarding these types of issues on current gen mobos - AMD & Intel chipset alike.

For reference, I was having the same "sleep" issues w/ my new Asus Sabertooth P67 / i7-2600k build (and actually with a M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 / 1090T build, but that's even further off topic lol and ended in RMA for refund after two boards). Issue was remedied by changing Windows power settings to "never sleep" (still left in balanced mode). Its been nearly a week since the box crashed.

I'm very skeptical about Asus bios quality right now. So many threads in the Asus support forums regarding these types of issues on current gen mobos - AMD & Intel chipset alike.

Do you have your processor OC'd?

I have noticed with the Digi-VRM settings, that the higher you go (regular - extreme) the more of a fluctuation in applied vcore there is. Example, if I use an extreme LLC, then I would need to set my vcore lower than what would be expected due to the LLC ramping the voltage up higher (it would over volt if not lowered). As a result, the idle vcore is much lower...

I hate this board.....better yet, I hate the BIOS. :)

Adam

Well My pos asus p8p67 is starting to freeze in less than 3 minute's. ( it worked for 5 days perfect) now i cant even get into bio's without rebooting. Im soo pissed, I knew I shouldve not baught new tech.

@grilledcheese

Just thinking out loud about peeps with freeze issues and SSD's:

SSD's have the trim issue
If trim is not working, or not working optimumally, things can get messed up to the point that data corruption happens or data loss.
Its like a garbage disposal that is never emptied an eventually clogs up.
This is not fixed by a format or fresh install.
The OCZ forum has lots of good info on this
I wouldnt even THINK about running an SSD without the Intel RST 10.1.0.1008 or higher. This is the first RST that does trim correctly. The dif is truly amazing

the second issue is that the Intel P67 chipset seems to be very picky about firmware on HDD especially certain SSD's and F3's.

So to rule these out, I would just unplug the SSD and try a spindle HDD.

Well My pos asus p8p67 is starting to freeze in less than 3 minute's. ( it worked for 5 days perfect) now i cant even get into bio's without rebooting. Im soo pissed, I knew I shouldve not baught new tech.
Its weird that it happens like that. A few days (even a week) can go by with no issues and then all of a sudden, freeze left and right. Atleast, that's what has happened with me.

The problem seems to be alleviated on my end by simply using the computer more as it only seems to happen on the days that I'm not actively using it with a couple exceptions.

I wonder how the testing it going for Gary.

dude...couple pages back...this is what was happening to me.

I couldn't even move in Bios without it freezing. RMA the board and so far so good...been 2 weeks now.

on the other hand...can anyone help me with this.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8008A184E0
BCP2: FFFFF880101AC354
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Been getting this message frequently playing games. after i get that...windows won't start up properly. It'll boot up the logo screen than go black screen and you can still hear the loading music and than it restarts by itself.

unless i do a full shut down from safe mode it boots up ok.

SSD's have the trim issue
If trim is not working, or not working optimumally, things can get messed up to the point that data corruption happens or data loss.
Its like a garbage disposal that is never emptied an eventually clogs up.
This is not fixed by a format or fresh install.
The OCZ forum has lots of good info on this
I wouldnt even THINK about running an SSD without the Intel RST 10.1.0.1008 or higher. This is the first RST that does trim correctly. The dif is truly amazing

the second issue is that the Intel P67 chipset seems to be very picky about firmware on HDD especially certain SSD's and F3's.

So to rule these out, I would just unplug the SSD and try a spindle HDD.

Where did you hear TRIM has any impact on data corruption, because that isn't true. All it does if affect long-term speed degradation issues. And a secure erase will repair any slowdowns caused by not using TRIM. And I don't believe RST is required for TRIM, it is natively supported in Win 7 (at least) by the MSAHCI driver.

can those of you having problems with (sleep/hibernation/coming out of low power states) confirm that you have "Internal PLL Overvoltage" set to Disabled? I just want to make sure as based on Intel specs, enabling this option will cause sleep/hibernation to not function properly. Leaving this option on Auto can have the same effect as Enabled.

BIOS -> AI Tweaker (Extreme Tweaker on M4E) -> Internal PLL Overvoltage

Where did you hear TRIM has any impact on data corruption, because that isn't true. All it does if affect long-term speed degradation issues. And a secure erase will repair any slowdowns caused by not using TRIM. And I don't believe RST is required for TRIM, it is natively supported in Win 7 (at least) by the MSAHCI driver.

Aside from very extreme cases that are probably quite rare, not having TRIM shouldn't affect data loss as the main function of TRIM is as you said, to address long-term speed degradation. Most of this degradation isn't usually detectable in real world usage since SSDs are so much faster than mechanical drives but the affects of TRIM can definitely be seen in synthetic benchmarks.

Same issues here on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe board. Worked perfectly for approx. 5-6 days and then suddenly started freezing. It seems to happen most frequently when transferring large amounts of data, in particular to a USB drive. I've tried everything in this thread and none of it has helped so far. I'm running a test copying 23GB of data to a flash drive at the moment with USB 3.0 disabled. What's up, Asus? I used to love your products... if this keeps up much longer I'll be returning the board (for the second time... first board wouldn't post with error code 30 on the LEDs).

I'm RMAing this board when the boards with the Intel fix on them arrive. If the new board still freezes - ie. Asus haven't fixed their problems by then - I will seriously never touch another Asus board again. That's how frustrating this has been.

On the USB 3.0 thing, it crashed with USB 3.0 enabled, worked perfectly with USB 3.0 disabled, and now works perfectly with USB 3.0 re-enabled.

FML.

I am also seeing the problem whereby the system freezes whilst idle but is stable under load.

Over the course of a few days earlier this week (se it up last weekend) it has frozen around 6 times, once each time it was left it idle for a length of time (i.e whilst sleeping and at work). Both before and since then it has remained stable only whilst it was running Prime95 (successfully, going for >3 days right now).

It has never been overclocked. The various sleep/hibernate options in Windows are disabled.

Core i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 Pro with 1204 UEFI
Asus Radeon 6950 2GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz C9 (running at 1333)
160GB Intel X25-M (Intel Sata3 controller)
1.5TB Western Digital GreenPower (Intel Sata3 controller)
1.5TB Seagate LP (Marvel Sata3 controller)
Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW (Intel Sata2 controller)

PLL overvoltage is disabled, but I believe C3/C6 will be enabled (not restarting to find out whilst testing for uptime though). Now that I have found this forum post I will try playing with those settings next time it neds restarted to see if they prevent the freezing.

Frankly though, even if that stops the freezes it certainly isn't a solution and absolutely shouldn't be necessary. Assuming I even keep the board that long, if this issue still persists when B3 chipset boards become available then I expect I will be swapping it out for something else... :(

It's been over a week with no freeze and it just happened again. Not as annoying as it used to be but it is obvious the problem is still there. I know it is related to the mobo because anything connected to it (mouse/keyboard) just loses power.

I've already opened an RMA with NewEgg for my P8 Pro.... I'm going to be switching to the Gigabyte UD7 B3 when it hits the Egg's site. I'm done with Asus, too much of a pain.

I've already opened an RMA with NewEgg for my P8 Pro.... I'm going to be switching to the Gigabyte UD7 B3 when it hits the Egg's site. I'm done with Asus, too much of a pain.

Have you considered the Maximus IV Extreme? I haven't seen any reports of that board having freeze issues. Unless someone else wants to chime in...

As far as I can tell, neither camp is happy, though. Unhappy Asus people want a Gigabyte. Unhappy gigabyte people want an Asus. The grass is simply not greener on the other side...

By getting a gigabyte board, you will lose the idle freezing, but you will gain cold boot problems (which Asus I think fixed?), issues with getting some overclocks to "stick", and worse voltage regulation and more erratic LLC...

Since I'm having no problems at all now I'm more worried about exchanging boards agetting one that has problems. I fixed the last of my sleep problems by switching off EPU and uninstalling it. Then I uninstalled all of AI Suite, All together I went from 72 processes to 52.

Back