Asus P8P67 Pro issue - Getting very close to returning it

can those of you having problems with (sleep/hibernation/coming out of low power states) confirm that you have "Internal PLL Overvoltage" set to Disabled? I just want to make sure as based on Intel specs, enabling this option will cause sleep/hibernation to not function properly. Leaving this option on Auto can have the same effect as Enabled.

BIOS -> AI Tweaker (Extreme Tweaker on M4E) -> Internal PLL Overvoltage
I've had Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled the last two weeks but are still seeing 2-4 freezes during a normal full day in front of the computer. All my other BIOS settings are at their defaults (except that I set the min fan speeds to 300 rpm and fan profile to Silent).

The first 2-3 freezes are usually concentrated to the initial hour when I first power on the computer, but I also see freezes seemingly random later in the evening.

The freezes only seem to happen when my computer is under light load, such as when I’m surfing the web, listening to music or writing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it freeze during gaming.

When it freezes, all devices stop responding (the lights on the USB keyboard goes out), the clock stops ticking in Windows and any sound that was on gets stuck in a stuttering loop and I have to use the Reset button on the chassis.

Yet, in my case, there’s no obvious connection to the traditional sleep modes. I can (usually) leave my computer on when I’m away, and it goes to sleep, and then wakes up just fine when I’m back. I have freezes even when I disable all power saving options in the Windows 7 control panel. Maybe because I don’t generally leave my computer on for long periods of time, I’m mostly experiencing freezes while I’m working with it.

My specs: Asus P8P67 Pro, 2500K i5, Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE, Corsair SSD 120 Gb Force Series, 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green, ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5, Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

My computer has been freezing since I first got it in the beginning of February, and I’ve yet to see any notable improvements.

My latest change is to uninstall Intel's Rapid Storage Tech drivers, disable all Power Saver Options under the Intel 82579V Gigabit LAN's Power Management tab from within Device Manage, and also enable all Wake On Lan options, as recommended by Azymn here: http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1577853&page=5

I’ll come back if the freezes continue, which I unfortunately think they will.

Last edited:
I've had Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled the last two weeks but are still seeing 2-4 freezes during a normal full day in front of the computer. All my other BIOS settings are at their defaults (except that I set the min fan speeds to 300 rpm and fan profile to Silent).

The first 2-3 freezes are usually concentrated to the initial hour when I first power on the computer, but I also see freezes seemingly random later in the evening.

The freezes only seem to happen when my computer is under light load, such as when I’m surfing the web, listening to music or writing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it freeze during gaming.

When it freezes, all devices stop responding (the lights on the USB keyboard goes out), the clock stops ticking in Windows and any sound that was on gets stuck in a stuttering loop and I have to use the Reset button on the chassis.

Yet, in my case, there’s no obvious connection to the traditional sleep modes. I can (usually) leave my computer on when I’m away, and it goes to sleep, and then wakes up just fine when I’m back. I have freezes even when I disable all power saving options in the Windows 7 control panel. Maybe because I don’t generally leave my computer on for long periods of time, I’m mostly experiencing freezes while I’m working with it.

My specs: Asus P8P67 Pro, 2500K i5, Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) 1600MHz VENGEANCE, Corsair SSD 120 Gb Force Series, 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green, ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5, Corsair AX 750W 80+ GOLD, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

My computer has been freezing since I first got it in the beginning of February, and I’ve yet to see any notable improvements.

My latest change is to uninstall Intel's Rapid Storage Tech drivers, disable all Power Saver Options under the Intel 82579V Gigabit LAN's Power Management tab from within Device Manage, and also enable all Wake On Lan options, as recommended by Azymn here: http://hardforum.com//showthread.php?t=1577853&page=5

I’ll come back if the freezes continue, which I unfortunately think they will.

Do not run Vengeance RAM on AUTO. Use manual timings or XMP.

What does Windows event viewer have to say about things?

Argh, already one freeze since my last post, so the problem apparently persists....

Do not run Vengeance RAM on AUTO. Use manual timings or XMP.
Oh, do I change that in the BIOS? What would you recommend setting it to exactly?

What does Windows event viewer have to say about things?
Event Viewer just reports critical kernel power event id 41 (63) followed by event id 6008, which I've heard are two standard error messages when the computer hangs and you're forced to hard reboot. I'm not sure how to interpret the log any deeper than this.

There is supposed to be a hotfix for the BSOD issues in win7 SP1, anyone on SP1 still getting the BSOD?

Last edited:
Argh, already one freeze since my last post, so the problem apparently persists....

Oh, do I change that in the BIOS? What would you recommend setting it to exactly?

Event Viewer just reports critical kernel power event id 41 (63) followed by event id 6008, which I've heard are two standard error messages when the computer hangs and you're forced to hard reboot. I'm not sure how to interpret the log any deeper than this.

Are you using any of the SATA 300 ports? Since I moved everything I had to the SATA 600 ports and even disconnecting some of my HDDs that had no room on SATA600, I havent had a freeze since.

Currently I have my SSD & Optical drives on the Marvell controller and 2 (of the four) drives in RAID on the SATA600 ports. SATA 300 ports are not used and no more freezes.

Are you using any of the SATA 300 ports? Since I moved everything I had to the SATA 600 ports and even disconnecting some of my HDDs that had no room on SATA600, I havent had a freeze since.

Currently I have my SSD & Optical drives on the Marvell controller and 2 (of the four) drives in RAID on the SATA600 ports. SATA 300 ports are not used and no more freezes.

Thanks for that bit of info btw, I will only be using the SATA III ports. Hard drives in the Intel ones and Blu Ray in the Marvell.

My two HDDs are on SATA 6 Gbit/s but my BlueRay-player is on a SATA 3 Gbit/s port. However, Intel has officially said that the only problem with the buggy SATA 3 Gbit/s ports is that they degrade over time, and could cause some minor performance loss in like three years from now (for like 10% of the users). But if you noticed a difference regarding the random freezes, it's definitely worth looking into. Thanks for the tip!

is there a resolution to this yet? I have the exact same problem... This is why I haven't bought Asus in like 8 years! Shame on me for thinking things where ironed out.

We have another Abit here!

is there a resolution to this yet? I have the exact same problem... This is why I haven't bought Asus in like 8 years! Shame on me for thinking things where ironed out.

Revision B3 or later

If you are referring to the random freezes that disables all USB devices and could potentially bring your network to a hault, I seem to have "fixed" it. My system has been up just about 10 days without any issues to speak of at all. Everything is at stock except I may have set the memory timings manually (I can't remember if I used XMP this time or not).

What ended up happening was, I RMA'd my motherboard again (my fault - botched a BIOS flash by not letting it completely boot; stupid reason) along with RMA'ing my memory. The new board I got had 1502 on it and so far, its been fine.

Those looking for some positive reinforcement - just joined this forum to say I have an ASUS P8P67 mobo, i7 2600 and 2x4GB GSkill ram - I was able to stop the random freezeing (with no power to USB) - by disabling in BIOS the "CPU C3 Report" and "CPU C6 Report" - found in Advanced --> CPU Configuration menu. Everything else in BIOS is optimised defaults. (I have also gone ahead and disabled the Marvell SATA controller, only because I have nothing to plug in to it and it then speeds up my boot.)

Does this mean there is a fault with the mobo or CPU I wonder - who should I be onto for the warranty issue?

BIOS Version 1502 03/02/2011

all i have to say is...after all the problems i had with this board...after exchanging it with asus it worked perfectly after...since than no problems...

this was pre B3 version..

I can confirm that I was recieving this same issue. My USB wireless internet would quit working sporatically, every 10 minutes or so, and I would recieve BSODs like no other.

I kept putting off the RMA process, even after the recall, until these issues arouse. Sent it back, got the B3 version, and it's been running like butter ever since.

...should also mention mine is a B3 Revision board...

Freezing manifest itself after a few days of installation.

The reports of CPU power states to the OS were clearly this issue it has been nearly two weeks with no reoccurence.

My PC is i7-2600, P8P67 Deluxe, I updated BIOS to v.2302 from the start, Corsair Vingence 1600 9-9-9-24 4x4GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 as non-raid system disk, SATA-raid with two 3TB Seagate HDDs in mirror, Windows 7 x64.

Freezes were after some idle time. Quite selective freezes, some programs continued running, mouse was moving but reaction to clicks was slow. Task manager was the first to freeze, so it was not possible to track the offending process. I had a feeling that it is NT Kernel that causes the freeze, while userland activities were less affected. I was suspecting USB controllers, memory, CPU, etc. I searched through many forums describing similar problems.

Here's what I tried WITH NO LUCK (although all these solutions have helped some other people, so I list all them here for a reference):
- BIOS upgrade (in my case this has already been done)
- all various USB settings in BIOS setup
- using X.M.P. overclocking mode in BIOS setup
- I did thorough memtest86+ overnight (no errors found)
- enabling/disabling EPU/TPU by switches and in BIOS setup
- disabling PLL Overvoltage in BIOS setup
- plugging USB devices in USB2 ports only, then in USB3 ports only, disabling USB3 controller
- disabling reporting C3/C6 power states to OS in BIOS setup
- setting Turbo Ratio to Auto in BIOS setup

What has finally helped me:
- upgraded Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers from 10.5 to 10.8

I think the problem was with accessing SSD or HDDs after spidown. So probably disabling spindown could have helped either, but I upgraded the drivers first and can't now make it freeze again to test.

It was 3-days nightmare for me...

Last edited:
what did you mean by disable spindown?
where?
Adv power options?
fwiw SSD have no spindown (or up)

what did you mean by disable spindown?
where?
Adv power options?

Yes. Windows 7 - Control Panel - Power Options - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings - Hard Disk - Turn off after - [set to 0 = Never]

fwiw SSD have no spindown (or up)

I know that. But can't be sure windows drivers understand it same way. I see the very fact that SSDs do not support spindown as potential source of bugs for windows drivers as it is rather unusual behavior for them. Might not be well tested.

well, dont think that was what did the job

10.8 seems to be solving a whole series of issues after the bios update of the various oproms
Since it was available previous to update and didnt solve all those probs before , one must conclude the the updated RST orom must need them.
Might be a good idea to update everything else, for example, the MEI.

well, dont think that was what did the job

10.8 seems to be solving a whole series of issues after the bios update of the various oproms
Since it was available previous to update and didnt solve all those probs before , one must conclude the the updated RST orom must need them.
Might be a good idea to update everything else, for example, the MEI.

Sorry, I did not get what you mean.

Before upgrading RST drivers to 10.8 I had installed latest drivers provided by ASUS, which are currently 10.5. Intel RST Option ROM was also 10.5. After upgrading drivers in OS to 10.8 (downloaded from Intel site) I still have OROM at 10.5. I googled a lot but could not find a way to upgrade OROM to 10.8. It seems that it is being upgraded together with ASUS BIOS, so there is no way to upgrade it beyond 10.5 at the moment. According to Intel docs OROM version does not have to match drivers' version.

So updating OS drivers alone solved the problem. That is how I see it. I've reenabled everithing I was disabling before and it does not freeze (it was freezing after every idle period before).

And what is MEI? I've downloaded and applied all upgrades from ASUS right after purchasing the motherboard.

Intel Management Engine Interface
Currently at 8031427
In dev man/system
MEI orom listed on bios Main page
http://www.overclock.net/t/910402/a...vers-bioses-overclocking-reviews-updated-3-16
There is also an official RST 11.1.0.1006 (also in above link)
@getyasome has a modded bios with the 11.0.0.1339 orom on the ASUS forums for the P67 Deluxe fwiw

I dont have any more P8P67 Deluxe laying aound, so you are saying the 2302 update left the orom at 10.5?
Where are you seeing this - in the RAID page info?

Last edited:
Intel Management Engine Interface
Currently at 8031427
In dev man/system
MEI orom listed on bios Main page
http://www.overclock.net/t/910402/a...vers-bioses-overclocking-reviews-updated-3-16
There is also an official RST 11.1.0.1006 (also in above link)
@getyasome has a modded bios with the 11.0.0.1339 orom on the ASUS forums for the P67 Deluxe fwiw

Thanks for good links. Not sure if I want to experiment more as my system seems to be OK now. Not with modded bios at least. RST 11 could only be useful for those who have SSD RAIDs as it adds TRIM support if I'm not mistaken.

... so you are saying the 2302 update left the orom at 10.5?
Where are you seeing this - in the RAID page info?

Exactly. In RST console under windows Help -> System Info (or something like that). It says driver is 10.8 but OROM is still 10.5.

Wow all talk about the P8P67 Pro being a dog. I love mine!

I have the same Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR 1600 others have mentioned and have no issues with auto memory settings. My board was a NewEgg open box from a year or so ago?

I used to update my BIOS and do all that stuff continually, but nowdays I feel like if something works fine its just not worth messing with. The only thing I have experienced with my P8P67 Pro is the dual boot when cold symptom, but that doesn't bug me (as this stays on 24/7).

Back