Ram:
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 8GB CL9
Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3, CL9-9-9-24, for Phenom II and Core i3/i5/i7, 1.5v

i5 2500K processor

650W Corsair PSU

Asus 6950 GPU

Disk drives are
SSD: Crucial 128 gb (system disk)
HDDs; a WD 1500gb 5400 rpm, a 750 gb seagate 7200 rpm and a 1000gb samsung 7200 rpm

After assembling my pc and booting up without a hitch, installing windows without a hitch, etc i figured everything was ok, and considered this pc finished built, and started installing the various programs (like iTunes, fire wall, firefox, etc)
To start getting stuff like flash, javascript, etc, the first thing i did was go to youtube (with firefox) and in the middle of watching a flick on youtube the PC stops. While the pc is stopped nothing new happens, no pages gets loaded, folders changed, programs started, or whatever; but the clock in systray keeps ticking away, i am able to move the mouse, and also able to scroll up and down on already loaded web pages.
After a little while (normally 5ish seconds) the whole PC resumes, music continues playing, videos continue, web pages start loading, etc
The PC doesnt actually crash or anything, every process just stops or freezes then continues as if nothing had happened a few seconds later.

Another reproducable peculiar effect is that for example CGI in games takes a while to load, videos that would load instantly on my previous, 4 year old (with no upgrades on it since then) computer.
Also occationally the games i play will also completely stop dead in their tracks and stop updating the game world, but whatever has loaded already is fully interactable. I am for example able to look and turn around in fps games while this happens, but not able to move or fire weapons or open menus. Trees will continue swaying in the wind, fires will flicker, ambient sounds continue playing (whereas music from winamp stops)
This problem too lasts for about 5 seconds then resumes everything as if nothing had happened.

All my games are played from my 1000 gb samsung drive
All my music and videos are played from my 1500 gb WD drive
All installed programs,browsers, "system stuff", is installed and ran from my SSD drive

So basically this problem seems to happen to almost every disk i have (the 750gb one is for storage of stuff i rarely use, which explains why its seemingly unaffected)

I really doubt that all my drives managed to get broken when swapping them from my old pc, but to check it anyways i put my games drive in my old pc and tried playing those same ingame videos that will take 5 seconds to start when played from my new pc. They all started virtually instantly, on a pc with a tenth of the computing power of this new one.

I have also run SpeedFan, RealTemp, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Crystal Disk Info, Asus AI Suite II, CPUID, CPU-Z, Windows event manager, and not a single one of the programs points out anything weird or possibly faulty. All temperatures are very good (25-33C on cpu, 35ish on HDDs)

I have double checked all cables in the computer. All SATA components are connected to Intel SATA ports, ram is in slots 2 and 4, all sata cables are new.
I have also checked that all drivers are the correct versions, i have the same version numbers as everything on ASUS' web page, and Intel's check says everything is up to date.

I really am at a loss to what to do now. It is so frustrating to have looked forward to build this new pc for over a year, only to have this happen. The PC is essentially useless, as the freezes happen quite frequently (anywhere from once an hour to 2 minutes apart), and it is a major stress factor in using it.

Id be very grateful for any and all assistance i might be given. Maybe there is something obvious im missing.
The reason i posted this in the motherboard category is because it frankly seems that the mobo is the problem. Every component that seems affected works fine elsewhere.

I think it could be your RAM. I had similar problems. Weird random crashes of games, freezing in windows. Also had it that the game would play for a while but the music would freeze then the whole game crashed.

I fixed my issue by flashing my bios with "Beta Version 1703" which the description states as "Improved DRAM compatibility". I then selected the "XMP" profile in the bios afterwards and haven't had issue since.

What bios ver are you using?

You made a big mistake buying a P67, return it and get a Z68
While the Z68 is not perfect, its a hella lot further along than the P67

The P67 Z68 are not put together, load Win 7 and go happily down the road. The more USB stuff you pile on the worse things get. The brand and type of SSD you install and its firmware, and its reaction to a particular bios are another issue. And knowing how to configure ram is a third booby trap.

Its been 8 months since intro of P67 and there are still major issues.

Welcome to hell.

I switched to an MSI and haven't looked back. I still live axis but damn they screwed up somewhere

Thanks for the replies !

Where do you get the 1703 BIOS ? the only one i can find is 1704

I can find a 1703 for the P8P67 Deluxe, does this work for the PRO ?

I think it's your SSD. Check Windows Event Manager and see if you have a lot of IaStor errors.
I had the same issue with my C300 128GB drive. I implemented the registry fix from this thread, but I've seen people suggest you simply enable Hot Swap for that drive and it does the same thing. I've also heard the new BIOS fixes it too. So I suggest you first upgrade to the latest BIOS which is 1850. If that doesn't work, enable Hot Swap on the C300 drive. As a last resort, make the registry keys described in the Crucial forum. Good Luck!

Also, make sure you have the latest Firmware for your drive, I think it's 0007.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies !

Where do you get the 1703 BIOS ? the only one i can find is 1704

I can find a 1703 for the P8P67 Deluxe, does this work for the PRO ?

Sorry bud. Didn't check under your Pro drivers, yes that number is for the deluxe board but still try go get the latest bios, sure it will help.

The P67 Z68 are not put together, load Win 7 and go happily down the road. The more USB stuff you pile on the worse things get. The brand and type of SSD you install and its firmware, and its reaction to a particular bios are another issue. And knowing how to configure ram is a third booby trap.

Welcome to hell.

Your board still not working well cisco?

Your board still not working well cisco?

Not working well ????
Never had any prob with mine, other than P67 rev. 3.0 deluxe when all vid ports went dead after 3 months, red vga light on.
RMA quickly fixed that.
How did you get idea I had probs?

Now have P8P67, P8P67 Deluxe, and basic ASRock Z68
Daughter, me, wife.
Trying to justify $330 for ASRock Ex 7
$290 + $10 ship + $30 tax
I know I am going to do it and I hate myself for being so weak.

I think it could be your RAM. I had similar problems. Weird random crashes of games, freezing in windows. Also had it that the game would play for a while but the music would freeze then the whole game crashed.

I fixed my issue by flashing my bios with "Beta Version 1703" which the description states as "Improved DRAM compatibility". I then selected the "XMP" profile in the bios afterwards and haven't had issue since.

What bios ver are you using?

Typically use of XMP profiles is actually what causes problems on these boards. If you turn those off and use standard SPD settings you shouldn't have problems with most quality modules.

yet another p8p67 board with issues.

It's funny how I've reviewed the bulk of the P8P67 lineup and I haven't had any major issues.

These boards are like finicky woman, lol. Get the right bios and you sorted tho.

Again, it's typically RAM settings that are the culprit. Turn off XMP, use standard SPD settings or set your timings manually. This should correct the problems.

Welcome to hell.

Now this is total bullshit. Z68 offers two things that P67 doesn't but it's hardly more mature. It's pretty much the same thing. SSD firmware can and is an issue with some brands so that's definitely something which needs to be dealt with, but that's hardly ASUS' fault.

i never had issues with my asus board.

I've rarely had issues with ASUS boards and I've worked with a lot more of them than most people have.

I think it's your SSD. Check Windows Event Manager and see if you have a lot of IaStor errors.
I had the same issue with my C300 128GB drive. I implemented the registry fix from this thread, but I've seen people suggest you simply enable Hot Swap for that drive and it does the same thing. I've also heard the new BIOS fixes it too. So I suggest you first upgrade to the latest BIOS which is 1850. If that doesn't work, enable Hot Swap on the C300 drive. As a last resort, make the registry keys described in the Crucial forum. Good Luck!

Also, make sure you have the latest Firmware for your drive, I think it's 0007.

Checking your event viewer should be among the first things you do. I'd do this before looking at MEMTEST86 or software like that. The latest BIOS, latest firmware for your SSD, and of course the right memory settings are key. Typically, if you use RAM off the QVL you won't have problems. If you do, simply disable XMP. XMP like SLI / EPP before it is seriously hit and miss for stability on any board.

I turned on Hot Swap (it is called Hot Plug in the bios, i assume that is it), and that did nothing.

Upgrading to the newest 1850 bios did nothing

Trying 1 ram stick at a time to check for RAM errors did nothing (of course, both can be faulty)

Thanks for all the advice so far ! The more things i can try and exclude as the solution the closer i am to finding the solution :)

I cant find anything about turning off XMP on the RAM in bios though ?

My internet is acting weird too, but id rather think that that is due to the pc freeze and me simply loosing established connections rather than jumping the gun and claiming FAULTY MOTHERBOARD!

I turned on Hot Swap (it is called Hot Plug in the bios, i assume that is it), and that did nothing.

Upgrading to the newest 1850 bios did nothing

Trying 1 ram stick at a time to check for RAM errors did nothing (of course, both can be faulty)

Thanks for all the advice so far ! The more things i can try and exclude as the solution the closer i am to finding the solution :)

I cant find anything about turning off XMP on the RAM in bios though ?

My internet is acting weird too, but id rather think that that is due to the pc freeze and me simply loosing established connections rather than jumping the gun and claiming FAULTY MOTHERBOARD!

Usually they default to running with the XMP profiles disabled and default to SPD tables. It's when you enable XMP that things tend to go wrong.

My RAM timings are 9-9-9-24, is this XMP or SPD ?

Should i try swapping to the GPU from my old PC ?

Or does loading/starting a video have nothing to do with the GPU ? My "benchmark" to test wether or not a change i have done to this new pc has fixed my problem has been starting a new game in Divinity 2 (this plays 2 CGI videos) and then going to the skill select screen and clicking a screen (this plays a tiny video showcasing the skill) . This works flawlessly and instantly on the old pc, but takes 5-15 seconds to load these videos on the new PC

Perhaps reinstalling the whole system might help ?

Or should i just return the motherboard and get for example a gigabyte board ?

I spent probably 40 hours trying to get my system stable with the p8p67 pro. :( nothing worked so I gave up and tried a different board and all my problems went away. I just had a bad board is all

Use Memtest86+ to check your RAM. Windows Memory Diagnostic is not very reliable.

Also don't count out your PS. Yes I know Corsair is a good name, but my Corsair 750 was causing goofy issues with my main system. I changed to a different PS and it has been fine ever since.

Even good PS can go bad.

Not working well ????
Never had any prob with mine, other than P67 rev. 3.0 deluxe when all vid ports went dead after 3 months, red vga light on.
RMA quickly fixed that.
How did you get idea I had probs?

Now have P8P67, P8P67 Deluxe, and basic ASRock Z68
Daughter, me, wife.
Trying to justify $330 for ASRock Ex 7
$290 + $10 ship + $30 tax
I know I am going to do it and I hate myself for being so weak.

lol dude. Its the cud. It has you. I also have it. No from your "Welcome to hell" comment, thought your board was giving trouble.

Typically use of XMP profiles is actually what causes problems on these boards. If you turn those off and use standard SPD settings you shouldn't have problems with most quality modules. .

Hey Dan,

Yeah I've actually gone back to using standard settings and manual set my RAM speed. Seems to be good so far.

Do you have the latest firmware for your drive?
How about the latest Intel Storage Driver?
Then there's still the registry hack.

Heya

Thanks for the ideas :)

The registry hack or intel storage driver didnt improve my situation :(

I will try updating firmware tonight, since it requires an OS reinstall, and id like to try to swap GPU first

edit: i talked to the store and i am able to return the mobo for a full refund

Could someone advice me what mobo to get instead ? The uEFI style BIOS was very convenient, and i can see myself doing some light overclocking, should i just get another Asus P8P67 and hope that my previous one was faulty ? Or try a Z68 board ? or perhaps an entirely different brand?

Last edited:
Have you tried changing things in the bios? This kind of sounds like a problem between your SSD and mobo but I'm just guessing. I had a similar problem like yours with my Vertex 3 but enabling hot plug for it fixed it for me. Do you have all your C states enabled? They are on auto by default but try enabling them and uninstalling ASUS AI Suite II.

Got a new Asus P8P67 Pro B3 board and now everything works smoothly !

Do i need to install those marvell 6g drivers and jmicron drivers (i have no idea what the jmicron drivers are for)
The marvell sata controller i plan to disable in the bios, as i dont plan on any kind of raid interface

You don't need the Marvell drivers if you're not using the Marvell SATA III ports.
The JMicron controller is for the eSATA port.

I did enable hot plug, but no improvement

Not sure what C states is ?

Hot plugging just allows you to remove the SATA device like a USB or other removable device without damaging it. It wouldn't improve performance or stability.

I believe C states are for power management/saving.
C1 is low power like when the CPU downclocks to x16.
C3 is sleep mode and I think C6 is hibernate. I think Windows calls these S states but the hardware refers to it as C states. I may be wrong. That's just what I've been able to determine. I sure would like to hear of it's something else.

Thanks guys !

Going to disable the Marvell and the Jmicron stuff in bios then, pointless to have them take up boot-up time when i wont ever use them

Another quick question:

When i play certain games, when a new object comes into view i get a very short stutter, whereas framerate is constant if "new stuff" doesnt get introduced. Is the stutter because i have all gfx settings to max (in fairly new games) and i have a bottleneck somewhere like CPU or RAM (ie the stutter is simply because it needs to load the object) ?

Or could i still be having some hardware issues ?

I find it a bit strange that i have loading lag, since i play games from my SSD

Would something like anisotropic sampling at 16x require anything from my harddrive/SSD vs say 1x, or none at all ?

Hot plugging just allows you to remove the SATA device like a USB or other removable device without damaging it. It wouldn't improve performance or stability.

Raja from Asus has actually stated that certain AHCI functions are disabled when Hotplug is disabled, and enabling it can actually improve drive stability in certain cases.

Back