Asus P8P67 1x PCI-E slot won't work

zeroARMY

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Asus P8P67 Evo and yesterday I added a 2nd GTX 460 videocard to do SLI. They are in the top 2 x16 slots: http://i.imgur.com/qlJT9.jpg

However, my Asus Xonar soundcard in the 3rd x16 slot was blocking the intake of the second video card.

So I moved it to top x1 slot. The card turns on upon boot, and Windows detects it properly, but I don't get any sound out of it. Should this top slot work correctly with 2x video cards?

Also, I'm concerned about the limited number of lanes with the P67, I want to make sure both video cards will have x8 bandwidth, and not fall back to x4 because of bandwidth used up by soundcard:
With the soundcard in the top x1 slot, will the 2 slots with the videos cards operate at x8/x8?
With the soundcard in the bottom x16 slot, will the 2 slots with the videos cards operate at x8/x8?

Remove one of the video cards and run the x1 with only a single card, and see if it works.
I tend to recall that the x1 slot shares bandwidth with either a USB controller or won't run with both USB/SATA and two video cards...

Found this at Asus' Evo support page:

This is normal. The PCIE x1 slot shares the PCIE lanes with the second PCIE x16 slot. When the CrossFire function is in use, the second PCIE x16 slot occupies all the available PCIE lanes. Therefore, the PCIE x1 slot is disabled due to lack of resource.

and this possible complication from [H] review:

The PCI-Express port bandwidth for PCI-Express x16 slot 3 can be configured using the PCI Express x16_3 slot (black) bandwidth setting, with the X4 value giving best performance. Note that with this option set for operation at X4, the following ports are automatically disabled by the BIOS: the onboard USB 3.0 header, both eSATA ports in the rear panel, and both PCI-Express x1 slots.

First quote explains your SLI issues. Should be able to run it in bottom slot if you can deal with the second GPU intake being blocked, how bad are the temps? Second quote might pop up even when using just one GPU. I have similar limitations with p8z68-v, probably true of most p67/z68 boards, more slots than lanes available.

First quote explains your SLI issues. Should be able to run it in bottom slot if you can deal with the second GPU intake being blocked, how bad are the temps? Second quote might pop up even when using just one GPU. I have similar limitations with p8z68-v, probably true of most p67/z68 boards, more slots than lanes available.

Thanks, the temps aren't bad because the fan goes into ultra loud mode to keep them down. It's too loud for me to take.

With the card in the 3rd x16 slot, both videocards are still running at x8 right?

Yes, should be x8 x8 still. The bottom slot shouldn't steal any lanes from your two GPU slots. Pretty sure it gets it's lanes separately through the PCH.

Thinking about this a little more though, the quotes seem to conflict, because according to the support page the x1's are shared through the GPU lanes, but the other quote from [H] and the board documentation implies that the x1's are shared through the PCH. Guess I'm confused now too><

I would try experimenting with the fan curve settings to quiet it down some.

The bottom x16 slot is electrically x4 and x1 lane wise by default. In the UEFI if you enable it you can make it full x4 but you lose eSata, front panel USB 3.0 and something else that I cant recall so, IMHO not worth it.

Back