Asus P8H77-I mini-itx Xeon E3-1220Lv2 ECC memory without graphics card possible?

itxpc

n00b
I am thinking about building a low power mini-itx pc with Xeon E3-1220Lv2 CPU and un-buffered ECC memory WITHOUT a separate graphics card. I have read people suggesting that ASUS motherboards might unofficially support Xeon CPUs and ECC memory. I would like to ask if anyone knows the following about the Asus P8H77-I mini-itx motherboard.

1. Does it support Xeon E3-1220Lv2 out of the box?
2. Does it require a separate graphics card given that the CPU has no HD Graphics? (Asus website says that the mobo has Integrated Graphics Processor, does this mean it has onboard video chip or just that it supports CPU graphics?)
3. Does it support ECC memory? Will ECC memory work at all if the mobo doesn't support ECC?

Thanks in advance.

It has a DVI port on it. It uses the onboard video in the CPU. No need for an external GPU.

Onboard video means it supports the CPU's built-in graphics. No CPU graphics=requirement for an external card.

Also semi-confirmed that the Z77 version works with a Xeon, though still not sure about ECC:
6/27/2012 review @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131840 said:
Put this board in a Lain Li PC-Q08 ITX case, with Xeon E3-1245, 7870 video card, Corsair AX650. I mistakenly thought the Xeon didn't have onboard video when I bought it or I would have gotten an i5/i7 instead, though the Xeon runs great and cool.

I used a E3-1220 on both a P8Z77-i deluxe and an ASRock H77M-ITX with no issues, I think it would work fine.

I am thinking about building a low power mini-itx pc with Xeon E3-1220Lv2 CPU and un-buffered ECC memory WITHOUT a separate graphics card. I have read people suggesting that ASUS motherboards might unofficially support Xeon CPUs and ECC memory. I would like to ask if anyone knows the following about the Asus P8H77-I mini-itx motherboard.

1. Does it support Xeon E3-1220Lv2 out of the box?
2. Does it require a separate graphics card given that the CPU has no HD Graphics? (Asus website says that the mobo has Integrated Graphics Processor, does this mean it has onboard video chip or just that it supports CPU graphics?)
3. Does it support ECC memory? Will ECC memory work at all if the mobo doesn't support ECC?

Thanks in advance.

#1) Define support. The CPU support list does not include Xeon at all, I don;t even have to look to know that. That being said, it might well work. Look in my sig, my M4Gene does not "support" Xeons and I'm running one anyway quite happily. The only Asus boards that officially support Xeons are their "Workstation boards" and their server boards, none of the desktop boards officially take Xeons.

#2) Asus presumes you're running a desktop SKU CPU for this spec...If you're running Xeon and do not have an integrated GPU, you'll need a card.

#3) You're in wild territory. Since you're trying to get a not officially supported CPU to work.

It has a DVI port on it. It uses the onboard video in the CPU. No need for an external GPU.

The 1220LV2 CPU does not have integrated graphics though. But I may end up having to consider this board and 1265LV2 with HD graphics if I can't find a suitable commercial board.

I don't think any of those consumer boards support ECC RAM. Sorry I can't help there, I just know the CPU should work.

Thanks for letting me know that the CPU works for your board. Do you have to use a graphics card with it?

Back