ASUS P8H67-M LE USB 2.0 ports constantly wake from sleep

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys. I have a ASUS P8H67-M LE with the latest drivers, OS updates (Win 7 x64), all that jazz. It's used in my HTPC and I have only 2 peripherals hooked into the USB 2.0 ports 24x7. One is an infrared eHome receiver and one is a wired 360 controller. The computer will not go to sleep on it's own. If I put it to sleep manually, it will wake shortly after and stay on (never resuming sleep). Powercfg inquiries only report the USB hub as being the source of the last wake; not specifically any of the 2 USB devices. If I disable the USB 2.0 ports and keep the 2 peripherals plugged into the USB 3.0 ports; the computer will go to sleep on it's own and never wake when it's not supposed to. Being that I only have 2 USB 3.0 ports, this isn't ideal. Also, should I ever get a USB 3.0 device, I would want to use one of those ports for that. Any ideas on steps I could take to further troubleshoot/fix the issue? Thanks.

Well, it's not a solution so much as kind of kicking the can down the road, but you should be able to get a USB hub that may allow you to deal with this.

It might also help to try figuring out if one or the other device is causing problems. So maybe just try disconnecting the 360 controller for a couple of days, see if the problem persists. If yes, swap it for the IR receiver. Just plug it in and unplug it as needed for a couple of days to see if the symptoms change.

I can always give that a shot; but don't you think the fact that when these devices are plugged into the USB 3.0 ports and they don't wake the system, preclude them from being the cause?

I can always give that a shot; but don't you think the fact that when these devices are plugged into the USB 3.0 ports and they don't wake the system, preclude them from being the cause?

Probably, but it's just one of the things I tended to learn the hard way when I worked as a hardware tech. Always best to rule out every possibility, even if you're pretty sure you know what the issue is.

Plus, if only one port is bad -- and I guess I forgot to suggest trying each device in the two ports -- then you could presumably get a cheap USB hub, plug it into the good port, and be about your merry way if looking for the cheap and easy solution. It might also end up being that one device or the other is really the problem, and the fact that it didn't trigger with USB 3.0 ports is an oddity..

Hey guys. I have a ASUS P8H67-M LE with the latest drivers, OS updates (Win 7 x64), all that jazz. It's used in my HTPC and I have only 2 peripherals hooked into the USB 2.0 ports 24x7. One is an infrared eHome receiver and one is a wired 360 controller. The computer will not go to sleep on it's own. If I put it to sleep manually, it will wake shortly after and stay on (never resuming sleep). Powercfg inquiries only report the USB hub as being the source of the last wake; not specifically any of the 2 USB devices. If I disable the USB 2.0 ports and keep the 2 peripherals plugged into the USB 3.0 ports; the computer will go to sleep on it's own and never wake when it's not supposed to. Being that I only have 2 USB 3.0 ports, this isn't ideal. Also, should I ever get a USB 3.0 device, I would want to use one of those ports for that. Any ideas on steps I could take to further troubleshoot/fix the issue? Thanks.

If either of these devices have driver options for power saving, check out if they are ticked to allow Windows to "save power". Also check control panel>power settings and see if USB selective suspend is enabled or not. Try toggling those settings. The USB 3.0 ports can be finicky with some devices and sleep - usually needs a driver or firmware update (device or USB controller). On that note, make sure you are running the latest BIOS and USB 3.0 drivers/firmware as well. You can find those on the ASUS product page for your motherboard

-Raja

Back