ASUS P6X58D Premium overclocking results.

BIG$pender

Weaksauce
Here's a pic of my build. For more, pics go here.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1479972

ASUS P6X58D Premium
Core i7 950
Corsair Dominator GT 6 Gb CMG6GX3M3A1600C7
Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-x

fullcase.jpg

My best O.C. so far on this board.
4.6 GHz
BCLK @ 200 MHz
CPU multiplier @ 23
DRAM multiplier @ 8 for 1600 MHz
GPU @ 890 MHz memory @ 1280

3dmrk06oclk.jpg

With BCLK @ 205 CPU @ 23 @ 4.7 GHz overclock is not stable for long, It locks up windows after a few seconds. With BCLK @ 200 CPU @ 24 @ 4.8 GHz it keeps rebooting over and over. RAM seems to be stable up to around 1700 MHz or so, With Memtest86+. Any more overclocking on the video card locks up after about 10 min. I don't know if its just the video card, Or a combination of the CPU overclock and the GPU.
Temps are a bit high, but it is 4.6 GHz after all, And i'm benchmarking sooooo.... acceptable to me :) Idle temps around 46.
I'd like to run 3d Mark Vantage, but i've already used my freebie :/
More benchmarks to come! Except for Unigine Heaven, because the Catalyst 9.12 drivers seem to have broken Direct X 11 tessellation, Though i may go back to 9.11 just to run this bench.
Any requests?

What are your CPU temps running OCCT linpack tests (ran for at least 4hrs) or IBT (10 passes)? I find it incredible your max CPU temp is only 75C at 1.416v with the H50.

Results after 1m 30s, 85 C, I shut it down after this, But it did seem to be leveling off. Prime 95 is just as bad. So the H50 isnt all that and a bag of chips, Just adequate, And it holds the temps off long enough for most benchmarks to finish.

linpackn.jpg

BTW i'm just looking for the highest bootable O.C. i was'nt going for stable temps just yet. Im ordering 2 more Noctua fans for the radiator for a push pull config. Should only make a 2 to 3 degree difference, But sometimes thats enough.

Crysis @ 1920 x 1080 very high settings 16Q Antialiasing. Same CPU, and GPU clocks as 1st post.

crysisbench2.jpg

Last edited:
Results after 1m 30s, 85 C, I shut it down after this, But it did seem to be leveling off. Prime 95 is just as bad. So the H50 isnt all that and a bag of chips, Just adequate, And it holds the temps off long enough for most benchmarks to finish.

Unfortunately if you're hitting 85C already, even with the push-pull fans I don't think you'll be able to determine whether or not 4.6ghz is stable because your temps will get even higher. I had 4ghz stable on my i7 at 1.29v but it failed the OCCT linpack test after 7hrs (I test for 8hrs min). At 1.3v I'm stable though.

Back