ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution Sneak Peek

So who will be the first one to post pictures of the board with six watercooled 280 GTXs running Folding @ Home? :D

You'd need a good radiator and pump to go through 6 waterblocks. I'd love to see someone try that out.

FYI, this baby has just been released in Europe. It retails at €340 which is about $435 USD.

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (at x16 or x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (at x16 mode)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slots (at x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot (at x4 mode)
* True @ x16 3-Way SLI™ in slots 1, 3 and 5 when slots 2 and 4 are not occupied

6 PCI-E slots is just insane, I'm getting this. It sucks that tri-SLI isn't possible on the P6T Deluxe board due to not enough space. So finally an x58 board properly designed. I consider this to be the v2 of the P6T Deluxe board. It should also be interesting to see the advantages involved with the NF200 chip.

Who here noticed that Kyle seemed to be flipping all of us off when he was pointing at the various listed features on the back of the box? :p

The only thing I didn't see you mention is whether or not the SATA cables were locking or not. The red cables seemed to be the standard versions. Not that it is a big deal to me since I have plenty of spare cables but other purchasers of this board may expect to find locking SATA cables since they will probably be paying a premium price for the board.

Anxiously awaiting the publishing of stability / benchmark results. :)

SATA Cables are not locking.

Have 6GB-3Up of Corsair on it at 8-8-8-24-1T-1.65v running Torture Test on open bench now with a 3.2GHz stock processor. Been running for an hour now with no issue. That's a real good start.

And yes, I was flipping you off.

Great unboxing vid!! I wish I could afford a board like that... :(

I think that first yellow "SATA" cable is actually SAS is it not?

Riley

I LOL'd @ RTFM.

I notice the back ports have no firewire? It would be very strange for a board at this price point to not have firewire at all. Is firewire via bracket only?

So, edumacate an idjit here.

X1 cards will fit into the full length PCI-E slots right?

If they could just get rid of that ps2 port, we are legacy free.

I think I am going to really give this board a try. Too many hassles with the ROG line from asus lately and I am too lazy to tweak a DFI.

Sounds like this is 'workstation class' which hopefully means 'stable'.

Would you be able to run SLI / Crossfire (two cards) and put a sound card in one of the spare slots?

Now I am just hoping this board is priced similar to the ROG boards in Australia.

This is the one I've been waiting for. It's wierd because I was thinking about whether or not Kyle was going to do a review on this board at all and it looks like my wishes have been answered. This is going to be a badass board and if it holds up like I think it will this will be my next system.

This is a board I have personally been very interested in. With my experience with the Rampage II Extreme being so good I have high hopes that this one will be a badass board as well.

My next build will probably use either this or the Rampage II Extreme.

Wow Kyle another awesome video!

I want to see somebody build a 6X GPU folding machine with that thing!:eek:

Keep these unboxing coming. I love them.

Doesn't seem like you can do tri sli and have room for a sound card.

Kyle, is this right? I hate onboard sound.

im always saying something off topic ... so here goes

kyle did you set up the three i7 boxes and the 280 like that on purpose?

its like a portrait just sitting there ...

Only 2 out of 8 (that I know of) motherboards made it past the sneak peeks. Not to give you a hard time (enjoy the HardOCP) but throw us readers a bone on the boards posted earlier (a month ago or so). “Sneak Peek part 2”

Only 2 out of 8 (that I know of) motherboards made it past the sneak peeks. Not to give you a hard time (enjoy the HardOCP) but throw us readers a bone on the boards posted earlier (a month ago or so). “Sneak Peek part 2”

I have the video shot to answer all of that will be posting it this afternoon. Yep, I owe some explanations as to wtf is going on with stuff we showed you, then never had content on. There are reasons besides getting drunk and passing out. ;)

i love this board

what is MSRP in US again?

Dunno yet, I would guess over 400.

im always saying something off topic ... so here goes

kyle did you set up the three i7 boxes and the 280 like that on purpose?

its like a portrait just sitting there ...

Those are processors that I have purchased, they had to go someone and that is where they ended up. I wish I got "product placement" fees.....hmmmmm.

Keep these unboxing coming. I love them.

Doesn't seem like you can do tri sli and have room for a sound card.

Kyle, is this right? I hate onboard sound.

That will be the downside, all the slots will be covered when you have Tri-SLI loaded up. On the Rampage II Extreme, you still have a x1 PCIe slot exposed.

Yes, and this time... i heard the motherboard scratching the table! :eek:

I only worry when the table is scratching the motherboard.

Would you be able to run SLI / Crossfire (two cards) and put a sound card in one of the spare slots?

Now I am just hoping this board is priced similar to the ROG boards in Australia.

Yes, that should work out fine.

So, edumacate an idjit here.

X1 cards will fit into the full length PCI-E slots right?

If they could just get rid of that ps2 port, we are legacy free.

I think I am going to really give this board a try. Too many hassles with the ROG line from asus lately and I am too lazy to tweak a DFI.

Sounds like this is 'workstation class' which hopefully means 'stable'.

Yes, x1 card will ft into any PCIe slot properly no matter how it is keyed.

As of typing this, up and running open bench Torture Test for 7.5 hours. Sweet.

I LOL'd @ RTFM.

I notice the back ports have no firewire? It would be very strange for a board at this price point to not have firewire at all. Is firewire via bracket only?

Bizarre, there is no FireWire, I assumed via bracket, but not in the box, and then I even RTFM and no mention there. Looked on the board, no 1394 header there.

Is it me or is that motherboard slightly more compact than other motherboards??

You are correct, I have not measured by the footprint is smaller than the P6T Deluxe.

Nice theme song btw.

Logiene! Our house band from way back.

Skud said:
I think that first yellow "SATA" cable is actually SAS is it not?

SAS and SATA cables are the same cable. If you do not use the SAS channels on the board, you can set them to be SATA. SAS stands for Serial Attached SCSI. So the SATA and SAS use the same bus technology in how the two connect to the controller, but the drives themselves operate differently. (And I bought to SAS drives to test with on the last P6T board, but did not get around to, hopefully will do that this time.)

wow... :eek:

workstation board without firewire. that's got to be an oxymoron!

i think 1394 is a bit more of a "workstation" feature than full speed tri-SLI, but whatevs. nice unboxing kyle. i'd be interested to see what happened to those other sneak peak mobos that never got reviews as well :)

Even Apple is dropping Firewire from new laptops and iPod Nanos.

FireWire not dead, but it’s on life support
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=57

Any week now there is suppossed to be power over eSata (losing the power cord) and USB 3.0 with SuperSpeed bus is expected to be available in second half of 2009 (says Wiki).

Fair to say Firewire is on the way out as far being a mainstream feature found on hardware. Some new cases are already dropping it too.

This board looks nice but I would like to know what the maximum amount of supported memory is and at what speed if you find out.
A quick look at the Asus website seemed slim on facts but fat on marketing speak.
Last Asus motherboard I bought stated that it supported 8 Gigs of RAM and it supported 800Mhz speed. But it failed to mention that when you put 8 gigs in the max speed was only 667.

edited for spelling

i see you've started to dress up for filming :cool:

I was not wearing pants.

This board looks nice but I would like to know what the maximum amount of supported memory is and at what speed if you find out.

12GB at 1600 (OC), 1333 spec.

Yes and no. :)

SAS drive cables can be used on SATA drives but SATA cables will not work on SAS drives. The SAS connector doesn't have the gap between the power and data connections. The individual SATA power/data cables will not fit a SAS drive, but the SATA power/data combo cables *might* fit if the cables doesn't come with a keyway. But then it would be a single-channel SAS cable.. :p

The easiest way to avoid compatibility issues is to only buy SAS cables.

Also, some SAS connectors have a second set of data pins for a second data channel to use a redundant controller.

I look forward to your SAS drive test. That may be my next stop in drives until SSDs become more affordable.

Thanks!!
Riley

Thanks for setting me straight. Honestly, I was not aware of the difference. All the SAS drives I buy, which ALL of our servers have SAS drives, come already hooked up. :)

I added comment tags to the video, let me know how you like that, or don't like that.

No floppy, no PATA - about time. Man, I think I've found my new favorite board. I can live without firewire. Can't wait to see the full report on this but I think I am buying this at the end of the month.

No floppy, no PATA - about time. Man, I think I've found my new favorite board. I can live without firewire. Can't wait to see the full report on this but I think I am buying this at the end of the month.

Yeah I've been eyeing this one myself.

A product comparison of the P6T Deluxe, P6T6 WS Revolution and Rampage II Extreme

It basically includes all the features of the P6T Deluxe with some extra functionality, such as the EPU-6 Engine for power saving, 2 SAS instead of 1, extra pci-e slots of course, and still the same triple-channel DDR3 memory 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066. The Rampage II Extreme seems to be a totally different design.

1x X-Fi card + 1x Raid Controller + 2x 16x SLI is what I'm after and this board seems to provide the necessary slots for that kind of set up.

A product comparison of the P6T Deluxe, P6T6 WS Revolution and Rampage II Extreme

It basically includes all the features of the P6T Deluxe with some extra functionality, such as the EPU-6 Engine for power saving, 2 SAS instead of 1, extra pci-e slots of course, and still the same triple-channel DDR3 memory 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066. The Rampage II Extreme seems to be a totally different design.

1x X-Fi card + 1x Raid Controller + 2x 16x SLI is what I'm after and this board seems to provide the necessary slots for that kind of set up.

All three of them use different PCB's. Granted there are similarities but all three are clearly different designs.

FYI, they both have 2 SAS ports.

Kyle. What are the chances of doing a give-away on this board after you are done with your evaluations? A Christmas give-away if you wish. I don't know if you do that or not, but I figured there might be a deserving individual on the forum that would love to unwrap this baby from under yon tree.

Back