Asus P6T Mobo - Can it detect 8gb single DDR3

meltri

n00b
I'm looking into 8GB single stick DDR3 ECC.
Can my motherboard support this?

I'm looking into 8GB single stick DDR3 ECC.
Can my motherboard support this?

Which CPU are you using? Regular i7 processors do not support ECC memory at all. And their memory controllers are limited to 2GB per rank (this means 4GB sticks are the largest that those i7 CPUs will handle).

And even if the installed CPU does support ECC memory, the motherboard's BIOS can only support 4GB sticks or smaller - and the P6T cannot enable ECC even if the CPU supports such memory.

Thus, you'll have to get a very expensive server motherboard with a compatible and expensive CPU just to support 8GB sticks of RAM.

Last edited:
how do you find this mobo, any good? looking into getting something for a new comp I'm building in the next couple of weeks

how do you find this mobo, any good? looking into getting something for a new comp I'm building in the next couple of weeks

May not apply, but I've had my P6T Deluxe V2 for 7 months and it has been a great board so far. Highest OC I got from it just tinkering around was 3.9ghz on an i7-920 with an H50. The cooler on the other hand isn't that great imo. I need something different for cooling.

I probalby won't be OC mine at all just run it as stock but just good to know the Mobo is a good one. My Asus P4C800 Deluxe on my P4 is wicked never had a problem with it all of 7yrs (fan on display card died and it blew taking rest of machine with it)

How old is the P6T Deluxe v2? I cant find it on my fav suppier, emailed them to see if they going to get them in or not if not the only other one they have are the P6TD Deluxe & P6T SE

Last edited:
P6TD Deluxe & P6T SE
Either way. They are really good. I prefer them over Gigabyte.

Crazy I've had this board for about a month, put the components on it and it booted right up. The only thing is i had to set the ram up manually (no biggie). Ran some stress tests on it sailed through just fine, then started to o.c. it with no problems, so to me this is a good board

I should have stepped up to the delux model because I think the heat sinks are more efficient, not that it is a problem on this board, I just like them better

Tom: how much memory you running in that? I'm looking at getting 8Gb (2x4Gb of KingstonValue Ram) I havent seen any set ups with this yet. You know of any problems with this kind of memory set up?

Crazy I've had this board for about a month, put the components on it and it booted right up. The only thing is i had to set the ram up manually (no biggie). Ran some stress tests on it sailed through just fine, then started to o.c. it with no problems, so to me this is a good board

I should have stepped up to the delux model because I think the heat sinks are more efficient, not that it is a problem on this board, I just like them better

wat did you have to do to set up the memory?

I'm just started mine up and in the middle of installing win7 at this very moment :)

I got 6Gb but from the bios looks like its only seeing 4Gb at the moment

wat did you have to do to set up the memory?

I'm just started mine up and in the middle of installing win7 at this very moment :)

I got 6Gb but from the bios looks like its only seeing 4Gb at the moment

If the Bios is seeing only 4GB then something is wrong, if Windows is seeing 4GB then are you running 32 or 64bit?

you shouldn't have to do anything to setup the memory, insert all 3 sticks into their slots, and that's it, if the first row is giving you issues, try the second row of slots.

If the Bios is seeing only 4GB then something is wrong, if Windows is seeing 4GB then are you running 32 or 64bit?

you shouldn't have to do anything to setup the memory, insert all 3 sticks into their slots, and that's it, if the first row is giving you issues, try the second row of slots.

everything is cool, I just did my first hard reset after installing win7 64Bit and it came up with full 6Gb memory. As I was typing the other message I was installing win7 for the first time and getting everything up and running :)

and The HIVE is alive

Yeap that is possible.As long as the specs are good 8gb single stick will be detect.

As I stated, it depends on the CPU. Regular i7s do not support 8GB sticks or ECC or registered memory. And the plain P6T does not support any of the Xeon 5500 or 5600 series CPUs, which are currently the only LGA 1366 CPUs that support 8GB single sticks or registered or ECC memory. A P6T7 Supercomputer or higher is required for Xeon 5500 or 5600 CPU support.

Last edited:
As I stated, it depends on the CPU. Regular i7s do not support 8GB sticks or ECC or registered memory. And the plain P6T does not support any of the Xeon 5500 or 5600 series CPUs, which are currently the only LGA 1366 CPUs that support 8GB single sticks or registered or ECC memory. A P6T7 Supercomputer or higher is required for Xeon 5500 or 5600 CPU support.

Just for completeness, this is wrong.

P6TD deluxe will see 8GB sticks, and works great with at least 3 of them. :)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2430076

This is awesome, thank you for the update DrBorg. I actually have a P6T Deluxe V1 that I've been wanting to convert into a render station.

Regular i7s do not support 8GB sticks or ECC or registered memory. And the plain P6T does not support any of the Xeon 5500 or 5600 series CPUs, which are currently the only LGA 1366 CPUs that support 8GB single sticks or registered or ECC memory.

Just another thing for completeness, since I've read a lot of confusing information regarding this on the web: I am currently running 16 GB of Elpida ECC RAM (PC3-10666, 4x4GB modules, triple channel) out of a HP workstation on my P6TD Deluxe with an i7 920. Of course, you can't make use of ECC, but it works like any other plain memory and you don't need a Xeon in order for it to do so (i.e. the i7's memory controller can handle ECC RAM).

Back