Asus P6T issues.

Kaos_Drem

Gawd
I am having a few issues with my new build that i would love some insight on from anyone that is experienced with the x58 platform.

System is as follows:

Asus p6t
core i7 920
prolimatech megahalems
corsair ddr3 12800 c8
gtx260 (216)

xp pro (32)

Now my question. For some reason my computer is running the gtx260 at x8 instead of x16 like it should be. Before anyone asks, the card is in the first slot where it should be, and my power supply is more than capable.

So can anyone give me a tip on how to change this, yes i know that cards right now won't use it all anyway unless you have a gtx295 or higher. But its still odd to see it at x8 when i know it should be at x16.

Here is a screen of what i'm talking about.

Seriously any help would be appreciated, i have read that sometimes people can put in a different card and it will reset the linkwidth but i don't want to do that unless there is some merit to the theory.

I'm no major video card buff but doesn't that buss interface on the TechPowerUp screen show the card at "PCI-E 2.0 x 16" ?

Isn't that the correct connection?

I believe the CPU-Z is just showing what the board is capable of and not your video cards connection.

Then again, maybe someone will come along who knows what they're talking about. :)

If you look closer at that techpowerup gpuz screen shot you see that it is showing pci-e 2.0x16@x8 2.0 It should read as x16@ x16.

I have heard some rumblings of the p6t range being semi finicky when it comes to nvidia graphics cards.

If you look closer at that techpowerup gpuz screen shot you see that it is showing pci-e 2.0x16@x8 2.0 It should read as x16@ x16.

I have heard some rumblings of the p6t range being semi finicky when it comes to nvidia graphics cards.

See, I told ya I didn't know what I was talking about...but at least I'm honest about it. :D

There is no option for loading optimized defaults, only setup defaults which has everything on auto, and still leaves the slot at x8.

Regardless i have an RMA return pending on this board and i am going to either pick up an x58 from evga or gigabyte which is what i should have done originally.

Every board has their problems, just like every company has a dud, this was my dud from asus, doesn't mean i will never buy asus again, just means i won't buy asus right now.

I used an a8n sli, which had its greater share of problems, and from there went to a p5w dh which was rock solid from day one. I am old enough to appreciate a working system from day one and moreso than that i have come to expect it.

Back