ASUS P6T @ [H]

Regarding sleep mode, it didn't seem to cut the power consumption much. I am using about 180 watts while the PC is on but pretty much idle. Sleep mode cut it down to about 130 watts. I am go to try the sleep mode built into WinXP. I think that will cut it down more.

Kyle... are those voltages you posted safe to run 24/7? I'm using them and able to run my i7 920 at 3.8 so far. I think my ram is holding me back.

It looks like the P6T Deluxe just got a BIOS update dealing specifically with the S3 sleep issue:

Description P6T Deluxe 1403 Bios
Fix system may not able to resume from S3 if Base Clock is set over 170MHz
File Size 896.66 (KBytes) 2009/03/27 update

Come on ASUS... where is a fix for the P6T?

Issues and more issues.

The first P6T I received from Newegg had 1 bad RAM slot (RAM tested ok in memtest, no errors) so it was only running 4gb in dual. The board seemed great but I had to RMA it, as after lots of searching, it is the only way to fix this issue.

The second board arrives, works for 5 minutes and then dies for good (no there wasn't a short). Powers up but no post beeps, no video signal. I checked everything, but even trying to post with no ram or video card still wouldn't give error beeps. After searching asus I found reference to either bent cpu socket pins or a corrupted bios chip. The pins are small and hard to see but from what I can tell are strait. Maybe it is a bad bios chip because removing the battery and jumping the clrcmos would not do anything. So this board is getting sent back to newegg also, BTW they have been great through this whole process.

I hope that I just had bad luck. From what I can tell you either get a perfect board or problematic right out of the box. I am bummed because this board seems great, but unfortunately for asus I have decided to go with evga instead. I hope it works.:)

Anyone else have a bad memory slot, seems to be semi-common, was thinking about grabbing this board.

It looks like the P6T Deluxe just got a BIOS update dealing specifically with the S3 sleep issue:

I don't have this board - but am looking into it or the DeluxeV2. I did however just check ASUS' site and found the following info in the BIOS History notes:

[ 0502 ]
----------------------

will be happy when P6T update comes out. I like sleep mode because I get back into the system fast, shutting down is annoying.

Is anyone else running a DVD drive on the IDE channel?

I am at a loss trying to get my drive to read DVD media. I have tried every suggestion I could find in two weeks of searching.

Is anyone else running a DVD drive on the IDE channel?

I am at a loss trying to get my drive to read DVD media. I have tried every suggestion I could find in two weeks of searching.

After going through two regular P6T and two Deluxe boards, I finally have a computer that can use the EIDE DVD drive. I still can't use Express Gate with the IDE cable plugged in, and some issues with USB ports, but at least I can actually use the computer.

This is a joke for a $300 motherboard. :(

I bought an Openbox P6T Deluxe from Newegg and have no problems to report.

Got my P6T setup last night, running flawless at 3.8 with stock volts. I'm quite happy with it.

The last Asus board I bought was a P5E, which would consistently under-volt it's memory. So I'm a little wary of the Asus brand. But this board seems to have the best feature set of the "mid-range" LGA 1366 boards, so I guess I'm going to give it a shot! If it's a no go, Newegg will most likely allow me to upgrade to a Gigabyte UD5... :)

Does anyone have suggestions for some good "mid-range" memory that's compatible with this board? Umm.... I found the QVL for the memory. Though most of the kit they tested was only Dual Channel, or less. But I forgot to ask about something that's fairly important with all X58 boards... What precautions should be taken to prevent bending pins when you install the CPU?

Last edited:
220bclk enough?
Thatsa nice BCLK you got there. I might have to take up water cooling to get mine up there.

Cannydog, I'm using OCZ 3X1333LV2G and it has worked out fine for me. When I installed my processor I pretty much followed the measure twice, cut once rule. I double checked how the processor was going into its socket before placing it and locking it down. It was all smooth sailing after that. Not bad for my second CPU install.

Well, I'm up and running fine. I ended up ordering a Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D kit, since I could get $20 off. I did get a C1 stepping 920, not a D0 stepping. But it bumped to 3.6 without any extra voltage... then I decided to drop the "CPU Ratio" to 18 and raise the BCLK to 200. That runs my memory at 1600, with 9-9-9-24-1T timings.

I'll be happy with 3.6 if it's stable. So I'll load up Intel Burn Test, right after I flash to the most recent BIOS. This board came with the 0306 revision, which is really old. :p

My question of fellow P6T owners might be what software they are using for Temperature Monitoring?

Does this overclock as well as the deluxe version? Going for a 4ghz at the most efficient voltage possible.

Also what about the SE version of this board?

Last edited:
I have the P6T vanilla, and a C1 stepping 920. The only thing holding me back from 4GHz is my cooling... This board is about as over-clocking friendly as my Abit BH6 was with a Celeron 300MHz. That said, there might be boards that are "more friendly"... but this is the only one I've tried.

I see many people here oc their 920 to 3.6 or 3.8 without change the default CPU voltage or increase the voltage. I think it is a little misleading. What is the default voltage for the P6T? When I first enter the Bios, it is set to AUTO. If I increase the BCLK to 190, and check with Everest, the CPU voltage is over 1.4V. I set my BCLK to 180 and the vcore voltage to 1.28V, and it runs stable. If you set the CPU voltage to Auto, it will run higher voltage and hotter as it needs.

I have the P6T vanilla, and a C1 stepping 920. The only thing holding me back from 4GHz is my cooling... This board is about as over-clocking friendly as my Abit BH6 was with a Celeron 300MHz. That said, there might be boards that are "more friendly"... but this is the only one I've tried.

I hope thay can do better than a 50% failure rate though :D RIP ABIT

I hope thay can do better than a 50% failure rate though :D RIP ABIT

That was long before Abit went down hill. My BH6 finally met it's end by a bad flash... :( Personally I suspect that 90% of all computer hardware "failures" are brought about by the "User". The exceptions to this are quite obvious.

And that being said, my last Asus board, a P5E (x38 chipset), had issues with BIOS that were only recently corrected. It would basically under-volt the memory. So if you didn't have memory that run at 1.85v (or less) your RAM didn't last long. So, yes, there are times when a company like Asus will screw things up! But that's not the same thing.

If you go read the "reviews" of this board on NewEgg you should find one that basically says his board snapped in half for no apparent reason. But since he mentions that he thought there was "too much play" in the CPU socket - I say he bent the pins, then destroyed the board in a fit of rage. And I think people like this should not be allowed to use computers, or drive automobiles, or own a gun!! ... anyway, that's my 2¢ worth. Still you can't blame this kind of stuff on Asus... or anyone but the "User".

Why the hell haven't they gotten rid of the 40pin ATA yet? Think of the real-estate they could get back by spreading out the satas with locking satas instead. No need for IDE anymore at all if you are going to buy this board.

You may not be doing a *completely ground up* build, especially now. You may be keeping a legacy PATA drive from the LGA775 (or even S478!) mobo you are leaving (optical, more likely than not). When I migrated from S478 to LGA775, while my primary hard drive was already SATA, my optical drive was PATA, and I kept it in the migration. If you're going i7 on the inexpensive (highly likely if the P6T is at the core), one area you can save some coin, in addition to migrating an existing LGA775 cooler, is migrating a PATA optical drive (if not hard drive) from the old setup. I still have no SATA optical drives (despite having three vacant SATA ports, and the low prices for SATA DVD burners these days, even those supporting LightScribe) primarily *because* I'm trying to apply the upgrade funs (as I get them) toward components with a greater impact (and a commensurately greater price tag). Having that PATA option can save some money in the short run *and* help you get your build off the ground that much sooner.

another reason you might need to keep that PATA around, what if you want to do a 6-drive RAID? :)

question for the P6T owners here. i just finished my new build and in the install process. which software from the included disc did you guys install? i can see maybe the TurboV or Fan XPert being useful. anyone here use those or any other programs from the Asus disc?

anybody knows if the P6T's that are sold now have the B3 revision of the chipset ?

thanks

Does the P6T actually overclock better than the Deluxe? Is the layout of components better? You won't lose access to any sata ports or other system components when using really long double slot video cards will you?

everything fit great for me with gtx 280s
satas are 90 degree ones so your golden

Did they ever fix the slow SATA transfer issues mentioned in the review on this board with bios or new revision? Thats what's holding me back from considering this in my i7 build.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/15/asus_p6t/3
While the ICH10R based RAID 0 array outperformed all other drive configurations, its performance was well under expectations, lagging performance on other boards with the same chipset by over 15%. Both the ICH10R and JMicron based standalone SATA devices performed nearly as well, but again both performed under expectations again lagging by 10%.

I've got an 80GB Intel x-25M in mine, and I checked my speeds against some others posted here and they were close enough to call identical.

Back