ASUS P5W DH northbridge runs HOT?

jblue42

Limp Gawd
P5W DH Deluxe Owners:

I just got a P5W and an E6600, I installed the PC Probe software that came with the motherboard, and it tells me the motherboard temperature is too hot.

I also installed CoreTemp Beta, to compare the CPU idle temperatures with PC Probes.
the MB and CPU temp readings on the bottom are from PC Probe.
hotttqg0.jpg

Is this a problem? I have a thermalright SI-128 Heatsink, and a Scythe 68cfm fan on top. There is a side intake directly above the CPU.

Well, I'll find out tomorrow or Monday when I install mine.

Good bye Opteron, hello Core 2 Duo. :D

^^ QFT.

the first think I did with my board (out of the box) was pull all the sinks and replace the thermal compound with AS5 and add a 40mm fan to the NB sink.. the SB sink was not even touching the top of the chip! crazy.. the compoud Asus uses is very puddy like and hard.. anyways.. you might be able to fix it by pushing down on the SB chip (while the machine is off obviously) but putting AS5 there would be best. :)

ok, ill give it a try. Also, is there anyway to monitor the temperature on my Northbridge?

I have a similar setup. I have an Antec P180B case, I'm running an E6600 @ 3.0 GHz with Corsair XMS2 6400C4 DDR2, FSB is set to 333 MHz. CPU cooler is an Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro. Usually runs at 50% fan speed.

SpeedFan reads 50C on the MB sensor and 35C on CPU, Under load, CPU temps go to 47C. CoreTemp reads my idle temps as 45C and load temps as 60C ~ 63C.

But then again, I have switched off SpeedStep and C1E so my idle temps are not as nice as yours :)

There were instructions on xtremesystems on how to clean and apple AS5 on the NB/SB heatsinks and remove the plastic covering + copper covers here

Removing plastic cover and copper cover seems to help. As does some air flow into the system ( perhaps a 120 mm Papst ? ) It is doubtful as to how much the AS5 helps lower temps on the NB/SB

My DH ran over 50c too. I called Asus tech support and the guy said that was hotter than it should be and asked if I would like to RMA it. I had problems overclocking it so I did. My new one runs in the higher 40's. :rolleyes: But it overclocks better!

Have my CPU and NB water cooled
It generally runs bout 20 degrees hotter than the CPU
If you can believe the read outs

going back to AMD - the ethernet and crossfire have issues if you like BF2

P5B Deluxe is much mo better board

in pcprobe the motherboard temp is your northbridge temp.

Not so its been proved that the motherboard temp monitor is in the southbridge.

Try cooling and not cooling the NB and then the SB seperately, you will notice only cooling the southbridge effects temperature.

Rob

Back