ASUS P5Q - Extremely Slow Vista Install; Then Crashes

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
I know other people have had this issue.

The whole install goes extremely slow, and then at the last step (Configuring I think) it eternally hangs up. The mouse also reacts extremely slow to movements.

Anyone find a solution?

I'm on a P5Q Deluxe, with a Q6600 and 4GB of OCZ HPC Reaper RAM.

I take it you're using pre-SP1 media?

Steps:
1. Take out half your RAM.
2. Install. Patch to current, and I mean all the way to current.
3. Shut down. Put the RAM back in.
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Try to update Mobo bios to the newest,I have P5Q3 De,after update to the newest bios evrerything seem smoother but I m not sure about P5Q.

Oops! I should be more specific. I can't install anything!
Vista refuses (yep, pre SP1) to install.
All I have access to now is the BIOS.

I can't seem to get the BIOS flash to work either...
I put the new version on a USB stick but I think my stick might be bad (that's what she said)

I uploaded this for Syribo (another [H] member) a week or so ago. It's the HP USB key formatting tool and a zipped copy of the Win98 floppy boot disk files. Install the formatting tool, unzip the win98boot.zip in to its own folder, choose your USB key, format it FAT and make it bootable, pointing to the folder where you unzipped win98boot. That will repartition and format the stick, and hopefully fix whatever's going on with it. It will take a while, especially if it's a high capacity stick, so be patient.

You went from saying it's slow and locks up at the end to "I can't do anything, it won't install." So which is it, and what are you doing and what is it saying (in detail)?

I uploaded this for Syribo (another [H] member) a week or so ago. It's the HP USB key formatting tool and a zipped copy of the Win98 floppy boot disk files. Install the formatting tool, unzip the win98boot.zip in to its own folder, choose your USB key, format it FAT and make it bootable, pointing to the folder where you unzipped win98boot. That will repartition and format the stick, and hopefully fix whatever's going on with it. It will take a while, especially if it's a high capacity stick, so be patient.

You went from saying it's slow and locks up at the end to "I can't do anything, it won't install." So which is it, and what are you doing and what is it saying (in detail)?

Okay, well your suggestion got me a bit further.
I unplugged a stick of ram and booted up, sure enough it was much faster and I got to the Vista part no problem. But once I was there I was stuck in an endless reboot cycle cause I had to shut down an install try because it froze. So I'm not sure what to do there...

After that, I loaded into the BIOS and saw that my hard drive was set to IDE, so I set it back to what I want; AHCI. Now it's doing the "taking forever to get to a mouse screen" thing, just like when I still had both sticks of ram in...

Really strange problem you have here. If you have a digital camera would help immensely if you can document your bios settings and the part where it slows down. Also The P5Q can be flashed without a fat formatted flash drive. Just dl the latest bios and go into bios menu it will auto detect the asus bios file.

Sounds like a harddrive issue to me. Could be a bum cpu too. Your only option is to test everything unfortunately. :\

Sure, I can document the BIOS settings for ya. Which screens do you need?
Screenshot of whatever you changed from default. Mainly where it starts to slow down also. Couple questions:
Are you able to flash the motherboard through usb?
How's your hard drive? New, old?
Run Memtest? Are your sticks of ram good?
Is something shortening out your motherboard? (this happen to me before when something was touching the capacitor) would restart or freeze drove me crazy.
not to sound demeaning but:
1. Connect only your main HD, video card, ram, dvd drive and install Vista again. Exclude any sound cards or extra drives.

Screenshot of whatever you changed from default. Mainly where it starts to slow down also. Couple questions:
Are you able to flash the motherboard through usb?
How's your hard drive? New, old?
Run Memtest? Are your sticks of ram good?
Is something shortening out your motherboard? (this happen to me before when something was touching the capacitor) would restart or freeze drove me crazy.
not to sound demeaning but:
1. Connect only your main HD, video card, ram, dvd drive and install Vista again. Exclude any sound cards or extra drives.

Oh, changed from default? Well... nothing.
Besides the AHCI option for the HD, which upon research, found other people have similar issues with during Vista install.

Wasn't able to flash the motherboard through USB. I hook up my USB drive but I can't get it to be seen by the EZ Flash utility... maybe I just don't know how to navigate, but all it shows is A:\ (I don't have a floppy drive).

Not sure how to run memtest... all I can do lately is hit delete to get into the BIOS hehe

I can try removing my sound card, but that's the only additional thing I have on there.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, HD (as well as everything else) is brand new. 300GB WD Velociraptor.

You should not use EZ Flash for the bios flash. Use the utility I linked to above and make the USB drive bootable, then get the new BIOS and flash utility from ASUS and put them on the USB drive. Set up the motherboard to boot from the USB drive, and run the BIOS update utility from it according to instructions.

Try installing non AHCI. Willing to bet that is the culprit. If you can rule everything else out would make it much easier. Also what sata ports are you using for your Hard Drive?

You should not use EZ Flash for the bios flash. Use the utility I linked to above and make the USB drive bootable, then get the new BIOS and flash utility from ASUS and put them on the USB drive. Set up the motherboard to boot from the USB drive, and run the BIOS update utility from it according to instructions.

Okay, I'll try that right now.

EDIT: So I have a prompt but no commands seem to work. Nothing. "dir" just freezes, no 'fdisk', no 'format c: /s'.

Okay, I'll try that right now.

EDIT: So I have a prompt but no commands seem to work. Nothing. "dir" just freezes, no 'fdisk', no 'format c: /s'.

Maybe you didn't format your flash drive correctly. check this

After you enter 'dir' just run your Asus bios file.

okay... got afudos ASUS utility to work, but it can't see my bios file...
keeps saying bad file name. tried renaming it to something simple and still no go

rom file is on the drive called p5qd.rom
and i execute using "afudos /ip5qd.rom" and nothing
that's the renamed file though, the original file name was too long to show up in DOS...

GRRRRRRRRRR

...you used the utility I linked according to the instructions I included with the link and that's what you got? Do you maybe have another USB flash drive to check with? It seems that one may be defective or otherwise messed up.

EDIT: Fairly sure you're putting the command in wrong. I should just be:

afudos ip5qd.rom

No "/" needed.

...you used the utility I linked according to the instructions I included with the link and that's what you got? Do you maybe have another USB flash drive to check with? It seems that one may be defective or otherwise messed up.

EDIT: Fairly sure you're putting the command in wrong. I should just be:

afudos ip5qd.rom

No "/" needed.

Tried it, still nothing.
'dir' command shows the two files, the utility and the rom file...
So it's there.

Welp, stuff like that is usually a bus issue. Typically a harddrive with a bad controller can cause bus interrupts and all kinds of weird stuff - like you described. I have seen it quite a few times before - not just guessing over here. :p

No no no, I hope I didn't come off as rude.
Trust me, I'm anything but [H]ard :p
This is my first build in 4 years and it's been rough (two days of troubleshooting).

All help is much appreciated, don' t get me wrong :)

UPDATE: Managed to finally flash to the new BIOS using the EZflash utility and my USB drive as Silent suggested. Still trying to get Vista installed with AHCI though...

Try this:

1. Disable JMicron controller in BIOS, leave SATA in AHCI mode. Install Vista.
2. Copy the Jmicron driver driver from P5K CD to your desktop or a temp folder.
3. Go back to bios and enable JMicron controller in BIOS on AHCI mode.
4. Boot into Safe Mode
5. Install JMicron driver
6. Reboot

Back