Asus P5Q Deluxe standby issues

Jinto

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else having sleep issues with the P5Q Deluxe? Specs in sig. Usually I just shut the computer down however I was looking for a quick way to turn off all my LCDs without having to wait.

Anyway the problem with this board is that when you sleep it will not wake. It just dies...literally dies. I have the newest BIOS available and when it failed to wake I rebooted it and it refuses to boot. CPR whatever was definitely not working. Yanked the power cable and waited 30 minutes still no go. There is no clear CMOS button you have to go mess with jumpers. Then I managed to drop the jumper into my 4870x2 which took an hour to get out...not a good night.

So does anyone know what the issue is? A little scared to fiddle around with it in case I have to crack I open again. I have the enhanced halt state etc enabled and the IDE timer to 5s.

Why don't you just use AI Nap, it shuts off monitors and sound, but will still let your apps run and keep internet connection on.

Didnt know about such a feature, will definitely look into it!

Open AI Suite and you should see the button to use it, there are also ways to set it to the power button on the computer and to have it timed like the normal windows standby feature.

The AI nap thing sounds like marketing bs to me... and i doubt it uses less power than the true sleep mode (edit: not sure why I said that.. obviously its not going to use the same or less power than sleep mode) or even a difference from the computer ideling with all the normal power savings features turned on in the bios (speed step ect).

I'm having major issues with the sleep on my P5Q-E board. One of them was related to vista. I tried downgrading the bios (version 610 for me compared to the 1302.. haven't tried any others) and that helped initially however still sometimes i run into an issue where it just won't come back out from sleep. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Unless someone can CONFIRM the power usage with AI Nap then I'm not convinced it does much of anything.

OK I have 3 potential solutions... I got it fixed through one of the first two of these methods... not sure which cause i did it at the same time.

1. First.. the easiest.. check the max voltage specs for your ram. I have GSkill and it says 2.0 - 2.1. I changed it to 2.1. Default (AUTO) in the bios seems to be 1.8 and/or maybe its not detecting the proper voltage.

Someone on another forum claimed that their OCZ memory worked fine but caused sleep problems and Patriot worked (edit: got confused with corsair). Didn't make sense for me cause gskill tends to be one of the more stable memory brands with this board... I figured it was the memory compatibility (way board volts it at AUTO) or the default voltage of the memory.

2. Check bios version. I had more issues with sleep with the 1302 (it wouldn't go to sleep.. it would for about 3-4 seconds and then start right back up again.. and a blank screen there after where I couldn't do a damn thing but power it off). I downgraded back to 610 and some issues went away (your versions may be different because its the deluxe but look at the dates for mine and compare them to the dates they were released for yours). I then decided to change to the latest beta, and modified for more memory compatibility from xtreme systems (for me it was version 1402.. think its the same version for your board) Bottom of the first post here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200109

You may be able to get away with the official rom if that's what you prefer. The crash free bios thing pretty much removes any risk of flashing an unofficial bios... but its still without risk.. like any flash.

3. Finally, if its really that important to you, maybe change the ram brand or pop one out and see how it goes to sleep with one stick. Maybe change from the yellow colored dimm slots to the (black?) other ones. http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...e&id=20080808055110796&page=1&SLanguage=en-us person there claimed Patriot 2x2gb PC2-6400 RAM worked fine after swapping out from OCZ. He said he changed timings but didn't mention voltage so definitely try messing with that first.

Instead of that last step I'd just call it quits and use hibernate... you have to enable it though.. its not in power options.. check here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/re-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-vista/ for how.

Edit: Or AInap and the asus power saving stuff.

im running kets m1402 bios..

I was having the same problem and here is the 3 things i did-- and now it works.

1. went into regedit and made my mouse so it cant start up the computer with mouse from sleep.(this is the thing that i think really did the trick for me)
2. turned on acpi 2.0(forget why i did this-- read somehwere i think lol).
3. put sleep on s3

also--- stock ram settings on the mobo is 1.8v for ram.. You always have to manually go in and set it. So make sure its on 2.0-2.1(or whatever your ram is).. Also turn off ce1--- i think that might mess with sleep

ps.. Also know it takes about 20-30seconds after you put the computer to sleep before the fans turn fully off.. So dont freak if you put it to sleep and the fans stay on for a little bit..

The AI nap thing sounds like marketing bs to me... and i doubt it uses less power than the true sleep mode or even just very slightly less than the normal computer ideling with all the normal power savings features turned on in the bios (speed step).

I'm having major issues with the sleep on my P5Q-E board. One of them was related to vista. I tried downgrading the bios (version 610 for me compared to the 1302.. haven't tried any others) and that helped initially however still sometimes i run into an issue where it just won't come back out from sleep. Its pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Unless someone can CONFIRM the power usage with AI Nap then I'm not convinced it does much of anything.

It never claimed to use less power then sleep mode, plus that would be impossible since sleep mode saves everything to memory and turns off everything else. This is just designed to be the lowest power way to keep and internet connection and apps running. When I leave AIM and Outlook on and use AInap I know it is definetly using less power because it shuts off all fans and drops the cpu voltage and mulitlier as low as it can go. So it certainly saves power when you are not using the computer.

It never claimed to use less power then sleep mode, plus that would be impossible since sleep mode saves everything to memory and turns off everything else. This is just designed to be the lowest power way to keep and internet connection and apps running. When I leave AIM and Outlook on and use AInap I know it is definetly using less power because it shuts off all fans and drops the cpu voltage and mulitlier as low as it can go. So it certainly saves power when you are not using the computer.

Yea I definitely said that wrong. I meant it shouldn't do more than just having it sit there with the monitor off. The intel speed step *should* do the multiplier, voltage and (i think) fsb drops by itself. The AI nap, unless it is forcing those settings despite the load on the processor or something, can't be doing much else.... although with my setup the fans keep running the entire time.

The EPU software I also wonder about if its just reporting what the speed step does... but probably not... its probably doing more.

Actually.. does yours say when you click the power or move the mouse "are you sure you want to leave AINap mode?". Cause that might be sleep with the fans off.. either that or I have more issues with the power saving features than I realized.

im running kets m1402 bios..

I was having the same problem and here is the 3 things i did-- and now it works.

1. went into regedit and made my mouse so it cant start up the computer with mouse

Yea I tried that too.. and new chipset drivers (and a reinstall of vista :rolleyes:) but it didn't work. Didn't try it on the new Bios.. was on the old.

Its a known issue with vista actually.. you can do it without regedit.. I found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930091

Regedit might be helpful if unchecking didn't fix it (in case somehow the checkbox didn't change the registry value).

Yea I definitely said that wrong. I meant it shouldn't do more than just having it sit there with the monitor off. The intel speed step *should* do the multiplier, voltage and (i think) fsb drops by itself. The AI nap, unless it is forcing those settings despite the load on the processor or something, can't be doing much else.... although with my setup the fans keep running the entire time.

The EPU software I also wonder about if its just reporting what the speed step does... but probably not... its probably doing more.

Actually.. does yours say when you click the power or move the mouse "are you sure you want to leave AINap mode?". Cause that might be sleep with the fans off.. either that or I have more issues with the power saving features than I realized.

Ya mine asks me to leave AInap when I move the mouse to wake it up and it certainly isn't Windows Sleep that turns off my fans because I have Windows Sleep disabled. On my computer I have speedstep and C1E disabled in the bios to keep my OC stable, and AI-nap is still able to drop everything manually, thats what I like about it because it allows me to still have some power saving with a nice OC at the same time.

Ya mine asks me to leave AInap when I move the mouse to wake it up and it certainly isn't Windows Sleep that turns off my fans because I have Windows Sleep disabled. On my computer I have speedstep and C1E disabled in the bios to keep my OC stable, and AI-nap is still able to drop everything manually, thats what I like about it because it allows me to still have some power saving with a nice OC at the same time.

I haven't oced yet but when I was trying to figure out this problem someone mentioned that C1E setting.. didn't know it helped for overclock stability.. good to know. And speed step and those power saving things... I *thought* I remembered hearing that there were issues ocing and having to disable them.. but I thought it was cause of my old board and remembering stuf from that.... I had a 939 socket before this and it was recommended to disable power saving features for ocing.

Never thought about the EPU being a way to get a higher overclock by allowing you to disable the speed step... haha.. its so obvious now. In my defense I haven't read up on oc'ing on this platform yet.

Just curious though.. have you seen what the difference is between AInap and just it normally sitting there with having speed step and all that enabled? Happen to have a kill-a-watt? Either way it sounds like its a good idea... esp for ocing... you convinced me to try the asus software again.

I haven't oced yet but when I was trying to figure out this problem someone mentioned that C1E setting.. didn't know it helped for overclock stability.. good to know. And speed step and those power saving things... I *thought* I remembered hearing that there were issues ocing and having to disable them.. but I thought it was cause of my old board and remembering stuf from that.... I had a 939 socket before this and it was recommended to disable power saving features for ocing.

Never thought about the EPU being a way to get a higher overclock by allowing you to disable the speed step... haha.. its so obvious now. In my defense I haven't read up on oc'ing on this platform yet.

Just curious though.. have you seen what the difference is between AInap and just it normally sitting there with having speed step and all that enabled? Happen to have a kill-a-watt? Either way it sounds like its a good idea... esp for ocing... you convinced me to try the asus software again.

No I don't have a Kill-A-Watt, I live in a dorm at school so I don't pay for any power at all, so I'm not very concerned with power draw lol. But the heat that my PSU gives off when in AI nap is significantly less then when idle in Windows. I know that's not the most scientific way of measuring it, but the more power the PSU is using, the more heat it will generate. Also I just thought of this, are your fans plugged into the motherboard or are they powered straight off of Molex. I believe they have to be on the mobo for AI nap to cut the fans off.

No I don't have a Kill-A-Watt, I live in a dorm at school so I don't pay for any power at all, so I'm not very concerned with power draw lol. But the heat that my PSU gives off when in AI nap is significantly less then when idle in Windows. I know that's not the most scientific way of measuring it, but the more power the PSU is using, the more heat it will generate. Also I just thought of this, are your fans plugged into the motherboard or are they powered straight off of Molex. I believe they have to be on the mobo for AI nap to cut the fans off.

Yea they're on the motherboard but between the flashes and the problems with sleep (corrupted the bios a few times) the QFan control (whatever its called) its probably disabled in the bios.

Well that sounds convincing enough to me.. if you're noticing a difference on the psu... well that's a good amount of difference. When I finally get one I'm planning on comparing the asus software to windows idle with speed step, windows sleep compared to AI nap ect. ect. and posting the results.. couple of weeks from now probably.

Sounds good, I'll go into my bios real quick and tell you all my power settings to see if that helps with your sleep issues. BTW, what VGA are you using, could have an effect if its having trouble waking up the videocard.

Don't think its the video card... but maybe.. its just a 7800 GT (haven't upgraded that part yet). The reinstall of vista could've removed the drivers or something... the control panel is still there though.. and reporting forceware 175.19 so probably not. I'll reinstall the drivers and see if it has issues after.

Problem with sleep though at this point is gone once I changed the voltage and the new bios so I should be good. I thought it was working fine before though when i first had this setup so we'll see.

Don't think its the video card... but maybe.. its just a 7800 GT (haven't upgraded that part yet). The reinstall of vista could've removed the drivers or something... the control panel is still there though.. and reporting forceware 175.19 so probably not. I'll reinstall the drivers and see if it has issues after.

Problem with sleep though at this point is gone once I changed the voltage and the new bios so I should be good. I thought it was working fine before though when i first had this setup so we'll see.

O ok well I didn't realize the problems were fixed... however since I took these pictures i'm going to post them anyways lol.

Bios Power Settings:
pic0004lv6.jpg

pic0005po2.jpg

Thanks but.. haha wow.. luckily i have a 24" monitor.. you should try to post the thumbnail link image shack gives you. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't and stumbles on this thread.

o holy crap, I just took the pictures with my phone, I didn't realize they would have been this high resolution! I was viewing the pictures in Windows photo gallery or whatever so it auto scales them.

Anyone else having sleep issues with the P5Q Deluxe? Specs in sig. Usually I just shut the computer down however I was looking for a quick way to turn off all my LCDs without having to wait.

Anyway the problem with this board is that when you sleep it will not wake. It just dies...literally dies. I have the newest BIOS available and when it failed to wake I rebooted it and it refuses to boot. CPR whatever was definitely not working. Yanked the power cable and waited 30 minutes still no go. There is no clear CMOS button you have to go mess with jumpers. Then I managed to drop the jumper into my 4870x2 which took an hour to get out...not a good night.

So does anyone know what the issue is? A little scared to fiddle around with it in case I have to crack I open again. I have the enhanced halt state etc enabled and the IDE timer to 5s.

lixuelai! thats exactly my issue!

I am also having difficulty with this board. If I sleep, hibernate or anything other than shut down, I cannot seem to wake it. Even with the internal power button, nothing. I would be more happy if it came up and beeped constantly, at least then i know theres something wrong with the board.
If I switch of the powersupply for a while, switch it on and wait 30 mins, it comes on as per usual. So why the delay? I'm interested to see how lixuelai solved the problem because the initial post sounds to be the same issue!!
Thanks,
Jamo

My problem: I could not wake Windows 7 from sleep on my P5QL Pro
Solution: It worked after I enabled Plug and Play OS in BIOS

Back