Asus P5Q Deluxe - Optical not working?

Bbq

King of Charts
I have a P5Q Deluxe, E8400, 2x2gb ram, vista 64, etc (the other stuff isn't really important.)

I have a Zero dac/amp; I know this works, I plugged it into a cd transport, no problems.

I plug an optical sp/dif cable from the zero to the p5q deluxe's optical connector, select the optical input, and go to the sound panel. Doesn't play the test tone. Then I uninstall the driver, re-install with a new copy from the Asus site. The windows tray icon shows the audio device as Muted, but there's no way to un-mute, and when I go into the playback devices > spdif interface, there are three tabs: General, Levels, System Effects. General just says that it's optical and that the device is enabled, levels is completely blank, and System Effects is just an EQ panel that isn't important. No options to change the volume here.
The SoundMAX blackhawk crashes immediatly when trying to launch it from tray, so I can't exactly run this "utility". Even if I rightclick > run as administrator, it won't work.

So is it possible that the optical is faulty on the board? The "regular" sound parts works just fine.

Back