Asus P5N-E SLI problems?

JonDoms

Gawd
Anyone else having random reboots or lock ups?

P5N-E SLI
C2D 6600 with Zalman 9700
Corsair XMS 6400C4 Dominator
X-FI Platinum
7950GX2 Beta Drivers
Seasonic S12 600Watt

Yes. Problematic at 400 FSB, not so much at 375. E6300 running RAM at SPD timings. Gonna have to take it apart & work on cooling the NB better, maybe the SB, too. I think the processor is stable, it seems like it's in I/O.

Yea I agree with you on the cooling.
I put my hand in that area of the CPU and NB and it was warm.
I cranked up the 9700 a bit and it was a little bit more stable.
I also noticed the review today and they are using 0317 Bios.
I have 0202. I wonder where I can get the 0317. Would love to know that I can get a newer stable Bios with better Voltage management then the current setup.

Now time to look into NB coolers. Sigh.

if you find out what fan fits the NB heatsink on the p5ne-sli please let me know. id like to order one asap so it gets here with my mobo.

the review here said it wasnt necessary to get a whole new cooling solution for the NB, just to add a fan.

im throwin on a small SB heatsink since i heard that gets hot too.

The heatsink on the NB is 40mm (?) wide (the same size as the fans on the old Slot 1/Slot A CPUs). That's what I have sitting on mine right now. If you put a big cooling solution on the CPU (like a Z 9500) then you start getting tight on space and can't really go much bigger.

thanks. i am putting a scythe ninja rev. B on my cpu so i will have a big cooling solution.

so the 40mm fan is enough or do you recommend getting a whole new NB heatsink/fan combo like this one:

http://www.svc.com/mcx159-cu.html

i really want this mobo since it has two PATA channels.

also, how does the 40mm fan attach?

Are you guys sure that's the problem?
I had a Gigabyte ga-965 somthing motherboard that had non-random lockups (look for a pattern). Changed to an Asus motherboard, had SAME EXACT PROBLEMS. When the problems are consistent, it means something is up. So, I found this list www.nvidia.com/gx2 and found a mobo on that list. Presto, all my problems went away.... except its not an SLI motherboard. So, now I'm running a single 7950gx2. Anyway, if I were you guys, I'd look for an incompatibility someplace.

kevineugenius said:
Are you guys sure that's the problem?
I had a Gigabyte ga-965 somthing motherboard that had non-random lockups (look for a pattern). Changed to an Asus motherboard, had SAME EXACT PROBLEMS. When the problems are consistent, it means something is up. So, I found this list www.nvidia.com/gx2 and found a mobo on that list. Presto, all my problems went away.... except its not an SLI motherboard. So, now I'm running a single 7950gx2. Anyway, if I were you guys, I'd look for an incompatibility someplace.

Hmm worth while suggestion.

Someone over Anandtech is gonna try the Zalman ZM-NB47J.
I just cranked up my Zalman 9700 a bit and I was able to play video games and not crash.
I have to retest tonight though for an hour or so.
I also am getting a 8800GTX through step up so that would help with the incompatiblity.

There's a decent thread over Anandtech:
http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

The editor over there is supposed to post the Beta Bios 0317 he is using. I hope Kyle would do that hear if he had it.

i picked up one of these for my NB chipset as adding a noisy little fan is the last thing i want to do. i went with a p180case to keep this thing super quiet.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-HR-05-pr-3350.html

after reading reviews for this and looking at the layout of the asus p5n-e i think this will fit without any problems considering the size and shape of the current heatsink on the NB that comes stock.

Back