Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Hello All..

I Built a Matx System with the P5E-VM HDMI Motherboard, and an Intel Q6600,
2Gigs GSkill DDR2 800.

Had some problems Overclocking with Onboard Video Driver Issues in Vista, However- when I set the FSB to 333 and changed the Memory setting to DDR2 800, Left all Voltages to Auto.

also Updated to Vista SP1... maybe that helped?

Even with low ram speed runs at 3 Ghz no Problems. I even stress Tested it.

tried 2.5 Ghz thru 2.8 all Failed with Video Driver Issues in Vista, even though it seemed
to be OK.

figure the higher Auto Voltages with FSB at 333 gave it something more to work with-
I am new to Overclocking Intel CPU's

I know I need to get a Decent Vid Card ( wanted to try this First )

Guys, the latest driver for the Atheros Gigabit LAN has problems. I could not see any servers for BF2142 using the packaged driver or the latest driver. I had to use the Attransic driver, which can be found on Asus' website. Hopefully this will save you all some grief if you play online games.

Allsop, on post 259 you said you were having problems with your Crucial Ballistix memory and the P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. I am running the same motherboard with a 2 stick kit of Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 memory and I have also been having a lot of problems. Each stick tests just fine consistently by itself, but put both sticks together and the system freezes at random intervals at stock speeds. It will sometimes run for 10 hours without a freeze, sometimes only 10 minutes. But with 2 sticks left alone, the system will freeze. It has never frozen with a single stick in it. I think this motherboard may have some memory stability issues. Did you RMA your board? Did you find out anything from Asus? I just opened a case with them, I will let you know how it goes.

My system was never stable enough to install an OS or try overclocking.

Let me know what you find out,

Mike.

Allsop, on post 259 you said you were having problems with your Crucial Ballistix memory and the P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. I am running the same motherboard with a 2 stick kit of Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804 memory and I have also been having a lot of problems. Each stick tests just fine consistently by itself, but put both sticks together and the system freezes at random intervals at stock speeds. It will sometimes run for 10 hours without a freeze, sometimes only 10 minutes. But with 2 sticks left alone, the system will freeze. It has never frozen with a single stick in it. I think this motherboard may have some memory stability issues. Did you RMA your board? Did you find out anything from Asus? I just opened a case with them, I will let you know how it goes.

My system was never stable enough to install an OS or try overclocking.

Let me know what you find out,

Mike.

Just curious what your system does when the RAM craps out? I still cannot post and have decided that I am going to have to RMA this board. But I keep wondering if its the OCZ Platinum 2 X1G Rev. 2.
What does this mobo do when the ram is bad? Black screen? Any Beeps? Any video output?

TIA

Caddie,
I was just looking at the P5E-VM HDMI QVL and there is no OCR RAM listed as supported for this mobo. You might want to try a supported RAM on the QVL list before RMAing the mobo.

My system just freezes. No error message ever. Never freezes in Bios setup, just in one of the memory tests. I usually am using memtest86+ v1.7. Have you tried to pull all the ram and see if you get the beep codes for no ram detected? They are listed in manual under the first time you power up section. I would try pulling out all ram and see what it does. I have also found that this board does not like ATI video cards, but I also have to say that the problems I had with the ATI video card may be a symptom of the memory problems I am having. Take it down as far as you can PSU, Processor, Fan, Mobo and see if you get the beep codes.

Mike.

Caddie,
I was just looking at the P5E-VM HDMI QVL and there is no OCR RAM listed as supported for this mobo. You might want to try a supported RAM on the QVL list before RMAing the mobo.

Can you tell me what conditions I would see if the RAM wasn't supported? (I am black screen an no beeps) I have seem other guys on here with the same RAM? What would this mobo do witout ram it in - anyone want to pull out their ram and let me know?

My system just freezes. No error message ever. Never freezes in Bios setup, just in one of the memory tests. I usually am using memtest86+ v1.7. Have you tried to pull all the ram and see if you get the beep codes for no ram detected? They are listed in manual under the first time you power up section. I would try pulling out all ram and see what it does. I have also found that this board does not like ATI video cards, but I also have to say that the problems I had with the ATI video card may be a symptom of the memory problems I am having. Take it down as far as you can PSU, Processor, Fan, Mobo and see if you get the beep codes.

Mike.

Just pulled out both sticks of RAM - thanks for the idea man :) Unfortunately same results - all fans spins up - HDD makes a noise - but no mobo beeps (this was with no monitor or keypoard attached) < it should still beep/post right?

Yes, it should still beep with all ram removed. Make sure you have a speaker in your case and it is connected. Otherwise, just steal one out of another computer and try that. There is nothing on the motherboard to make any noise if you do not have an external speaker hooked up.

Mike.

Guys, the latest driver for the Atheros Gigabit LAN has problems. I could not see any servers for BF2142 using the packaged driver or the latest driver. I had to use the Attransic driver, which can be found on Asus' website. Hopefully this will save you all some grief if you play online games.

Thank you god. I figured the driver had something to do with it, I can't pull up any servers in UT3, and I can only get Euro-servers in CoD4. CS:S worked fine, but not those two.

Wait so which driver are you using for the ethernet? The one on Asus's site for this motherboard?

The one dated 2007/09/24 (v2.3.6000.2)?

Nope, you have to use the version 1.0.5600.11159, which you have to search for M2N8-VMX motherboard to get it.

Thank you god. I figured the driver had something to do with it, I can't pull up any servers in UT3, and I can only get Euro-servers in CoD4. CS:S worked fine, but not those two.

I spent 4 fucking days trying to figure it out. Everything else worked fine, could surf the net, get email, connect to the master server. I reinstalled my OS once and reinstalled BF maybe 10 times...............actually 15 times, the extra 5 were for trying to fix Punkbusted and a host of other EA crap.

I'm going to email Asus about this, I'd appreciate it if you all would follow suit so maybe they'll get the driver updated.

I just emailed Asus about this issue. Hopefully everyone else who has viewed this thread and owns this motherboard does the same.

Just curious what your system does when the RAM craps out? I still cannot post and have decided that I am going to have to RMA this board. But I keep wondering if its the OCZ Platinum 2 X1G Rev. 2.
What does this mobo do when the ram is bad? Black screen? Any Beeps? Any video output?

TIA

Hi,
I am running same OCZ Platinum 2 X1G Rev. 2 on P5E-VM HDMI board as well. I got the the same issue. With two sticks of memory, PC crashes (blue screen) but much more stable with one stick. Vista Ultimate It still freeze up once so far on one stick.

Called Asus and the answer I got was that this specific memory is underpowered at stock voltage and I should contact OCZ for proper BIOS settings. Will call them next.

I am running same OCZ Platinum 2 X1G Rev. 2 on P5E-VM HDMI board as well. I got the the same issue.

Same memory here like shown below and everything is fine. Remember that if you are running BIOS 0301 you cannot use 4-x-y-z in BIOS since there is a bug that in reality will run the memory at 3-x-y-z and is more subjet to problem.

For now I run mine at either 5-5-5-15 or 5-4-4-15 until they come with a new BIOS.

Same memory here like shown below and everything is fine. Remember that if you are running BIOS 0301 you cannot use 4-x-y-z in BIOS since there is a bug that in reality will run the memory at 3-x-y-z and is more subjet to problem.

For now I run mine at either 5-5-5-15 or 5-4-4-15 until they come with a new BIOS.

Thanks Rhialto!!

I will try ASUS claim to increase the voltage tonight and see if this will help. Where did you find the info on this BIOS bug?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Rhialto!!

I will try ASUS claim to increase the voltage tonight and see if this will help. Where did you find the info on this BIOS bug?

Found myself when trying different settings. Try 4-4-4-12 in BIOS and CPU-Z or Everest will read 3-4-4-12. If you try 5-5-5-12 in BIOS, they will read 5-5-5-12.

Thanks. I've water-cooled 3 Qpacks/MicroFlys, but as often as I upgrade, plus I fly, it's just too much hassle.

Thanks. I've water-cooled 3 Qpacks/MicroFlys, but as often as I upgrade, plus I fly, it's just too much hassle for me.

Hi Guys,
I have a P5E-VM HDMI board I am building for my htpc and I just put it all together and it will not post? Any ideas? Here's my gear:
nsk2480 case
Q6600-G0
Mini Ninja
2 X 1G OCZ Platinium Rev. R
80 GB Western Digital SATA
Samsung SATA DVD drive

So when I power it on, the green light on the mobo is lit..... but nothing happens - just a black screen on my monitor and I am getting no "beeps"

TIA

The problem was the RAM. Either I had bad ram or this board dosnt like OCZ Platinium Rev. R DDR2/6400.

The problem was the RAM. Either I had bad ram or this board dosnt like OCZ Platinium Rev. R DDR2/6400.
Hmmm, now you got me thinking...

I remember reading reports of users that have had many troubles with memories needing high voltages on boot for the SPD values they set, which caused a lot of headaches...

Can it be those memory sticks need abnormal voltages on boot for the low SPD values? If that's the case, then you only need to use a "normal" (read: standard-voltage and SPD) memory stick to bump the voltage in the BIOS, save and exit, power down the system before the reboot, and change the sticks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Miguel

Is this EnzoTech heatsink good enough for the P5E-VM HDMI's northbridge?

http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_s1l.htm

cnb-s1l_05.jpg
cnb-s1l_03.jpg

Why not use the full-size one, or will your CPU heat sink interfere with it?

Ultima90TopNB.jpg

Either way, you'll have to secure the chipset heat sink with zip ties as the holes are 1-2mm short for the push-ins to work.

Why not use the full-size one, or will your CPU heat sink interfere with it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MassiveOverkill/QuadCoreRig/Ultima90TopNB.jpg

Either way, you'll have to secure the chipset heat sink with zip ties as the holes are 1-2mm short for the push-ins to work.

I have a PCIe 1x TV Tuner card that's kind of long. The full size one would get in the card's way I think, but this low profile one won't. This low profile one is the same size as the larger one, but shorter. The push pins can be repositioned. Each "wing" has two holes for each pin.

The outer holes still aren't wide enough, You're going to have to use zip ties. The Asus NB doesn't use standard mounting holes.

The Thermalright HR05 I have now on the NB mounts just fine and it uses standard NB mounting gear (matches standard holes). I would put the TV tuner card in the PCIe 1x slot in front of my 8800GT, but then the TV tuner would block half of the 8800GTs fan.

I've considered that, but USB TV tuners usually have pretty high CPU usage / consume alot of clock cycles.

MassiveOverkill, I just noticed that you're using the bigger version of the EnzoTech heatsink on your NB. So you did attach it using zip ties?

Bottom line: Will the EnzoTech CNB-S1L ( http://www.enzotechnology.com/cnb_s1l.htm ) work / cool the NB on the P5E-VM HDMI sufficiently?

@MassiveOverkill
Could you do me a favor? What is the exact distance of the NB holes? The last time I measured about 6,3 cm but i hadn´t the chance to do it really exactly. I´m searching a watercooler for the NB but its really difficult with this distance.
I would measure it on my own board but i have to unmount half the hardware to get it out ouf my cube.:D

Tremeloes

here is an interesting issue i have with this board, every once in a while i power it on and my monitor will not come out of standby, and the usb keyboard and mouse do not light up at all, but all fans appear to be working normally along with the fan controller and optical drive and i'm assuming the hard drive is working fine as well. No error beeps. And when i restart to fix it, windows vista acts like it was shut off improperly so i'm fairly sure everything is loading correctly in the background.

the monitor is plugged into an 8800gts 640

the power supply is a silverstone 750w with the short modular cables

a simple restart fixes the issue but it is kind of annoying

do you get that overclocking failed message after restart?
perhaps it´s part of this restart bug...

while i'm not overlcocking (the card however is stock overclocked) i wouldnt rule that out, I havent seen that message but sometimes the monitor is cold starting so i may miss the message

however, the fact that i fully shut down vista correctly each time and when this error occurs it complains that it was not shut down properly implies that the computer is loading as normal and therefore the overclock error might not be an issue in my case.

also, as posted elsewhere, i've heard the annoying tone given out when the pci power is unplugged and this of course is not the case in this situation and this problem has been happening since i built the system, it occured duing a vista installation restart.

on a side note i'm expecting a new LCD in today which may take care of the issue if there is something fishy about my 3 yr old crt or the little converter hardware between it and the card.

dang compusa was done in by their own website, even at 20% off in the store, their monitors online were cheaper with free shipping and it arrived a day early (assuming my wife can be bothered to sign for it when i'm gone).

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as caddie.
However I don't even have a signal on my monitor.
It says "no signal" at all time.

The system have been working I been trying to install Vista home premium twice but it stops when finishing decompression of files. The CPU fan goes up in speed during decompression but slows down before the screen goes black.

My memory:
Corsair CM2X1024-6400 in a twin package. I'm pretty sure that these can be used.
Eventhough Asus writes this: CM2X1024-6400C4
But I don't know what this C4 means?

CPU: Intel core 2 duo E6750 (Standard fan)
Hard drive: 2x Samsung 250 GB (SATA) (Set to raid0)
DVD drive: Lite-on (SATA)
TV-card: Hauppauge HVR-1300 MCE
Memory: Corsair CM2X1024-6400 (XMS2 2x1 GB)

Could it be something with the voltage for the memory?

Or could it be something with the CPU temperature settings?

I wasn't working on the computer for over a day when it suddenly started normally the second time I tried to install Vista.

Only one memory stick won't help.
I'm not getting any beeps at all.

Back